Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM

"Short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo"--what does this mean/imply?

See query: Full context: the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket yells at a recruit:
I'm gonna rip your balls off so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. I will motivate you, Private Pyle, if it short-dicks every cannibal on the Congo!
When R. Lee Ermey, who died yesterday, was cast as the DI after improvising harangues over half-an-hour long w/o stopping, Kubrick himself did not understand one of the curses he left in the movie, about what a "reach-around" is and why someone should be courteous about offering one--and I felt very superior that I did. But here I'm stumped (heh).

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 04-16-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

The problem with explaining a joke is that it loses so much in the dissection.
Cannibals eat people. Fat people feed more cannibals.
"Cannibals on the Congo" just sounds funny. It's use of alliteration is just inherently funny. Plus, the Congo just sounds like a wild place where Cannibals and other uncivilized people would live.
If he motivates PVT Pyle, then Pyle will end up losing weight as a consequence. Therefore, fewer cannibals will be able to eat.
Getting "short-dicked" just means you were left out; you didn't get your share. Means the same as "Short-changed".

So... the DI is saying that Pyle is soooo fat that he would be able to feed all of these cannibals. Despite the fact that motivating Pyle will result in so many Cannibals having to starve--or at least not get to eat as much as they would otherwise--he's going to keep motivating him.

Translated would be: "I will motivate you, even if by doing so you will lose weight and thereby I would be depriving some Cannibals of a potentially much larger feast."

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 04-16-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I can't help you with the short-dick thing.

I did notice something in the first barracks scene though, just now, in rewatching it - an amazing thing for a Kubrick movie; a really obvious continuity error. the first time we see Hartman (R. Lee Ermey) taling and walking around, Leonard Lawrence/Private Pyle (Vincent D'Onofrio) is to Joker's right, three men down and standing by the last bank in that row.

Later in the same scene, he is to Joker's left, two men from Private Cowboy, having suddenly occupied a space previously occupied by a nondescript generic extra. S
Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Cannibals eat people. Fat people feed more cannibals.
"Cannibals on the Congo" just sounds funny. It's use of alliteration is just inherently funny. Plus, the Congo just sounds like a wild place where Cannibals and other uncivilized people would live.
If he motivates PVT Pyle, then Pyle will end up losing weight as a consequence. Therefore, fewer cannibals will be able to eat.
Getting "short-dicked" just means you were left out; you didn't get your share. Means the same as "Short-changed".

So... the DI is saying that Pyle is soooo fat that he would be able to feed all of these cannibals. Despite the fact that motivating Pyle will result in so many Cannibals having to starve--or at least not get to eat as much as they would otherwise--he's going to keep motivating him.

Translated would be: "I will motivate you, even if by doing so you will lose weight and thereby I would be depriving some Cannibals of a potentially much larger feast."
Perfect. Thank you. And unlike "reach-around," "short dicks" is a slang word _only_ in the military, right? (Like "I will PT your ass till you die.") All services?

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 04-16-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

From the "Urban Dictionary":

Reach Around
The process of, while penetrating a partner from behind (Either anally or vaginally), reaching around and playing with his/her genitalia.
Contrary to popular belief, not only a homosexual act.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I did notice something in the first barracks scene though, just now, in rewatching it - an amazing thing for a Kubrick movie; a really obvious continuity error. ...
Try looking at the goofs section at IMDb for The Shining. And the list is far from complete!

Kubrick was not exactly into continuity or any such thing.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Try looking at the goofs section at IMDb for The Shining. And the list is far from complete!

Kubrick was not exactly into continuity or any such thing.
He made *purposeful* continuity errors in A Clockwork Orange because he felt it would subconsciously unnerve the audience during the scene. (The scene where the elderly man confronts Alex during dinner after the old man remembers who he is, the level of wine in his wine glass changes randomly in every shot.)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:47 PM

I always thought that line was bizarre (and hilarious), as I imagine most people do who've seen that movie. I think Bear's explanation makes the most sense. A lot of people probably get sidetracked by the word "dick" and assume it has some sexual connotation, or biting off a guy's dick or something. But I'm pretty sure the "force you to lose weight" thing makes more sense.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
From the "Urban Dictionary"...
Well itís settled then.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 AM

the one error I noted was in 2001 where they are testing the antenna module in zero G in the pod bay, and the wire from the test probe sags in a typical gravity-induced parabola. I guess attaching a filament to make it "float" was considered overkill?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:

One of the classic jokes I've heard is:

"They say a good comedian never explains their jokes. So... what this one meant is..." Proceed to explain.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
the one error I noted was in 2001 where they are testing the antenna module in zero G in the pod bay, and the wire from the test probe sags in a typical gravity-induced parabola. I guess attaching a filament to make it "float" was considered overkill?
Ermey tried to motivate the wire, but as the wire was already too thin to provide sustenance to cannibals on the Congo, the motivation was insufficient.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

As an aside, I'm not exactly a worldly guy, and had never heard of a "reach-around" before seeing the movie, but I still thought it was pretty clear, from context, what it meant.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

It calls to mind Major Kong’s intense commitment to the task of getting his B52’s damaged equipment to operate: “I’m gonna get them doors open if it harelips everybody on Bear Creek!

Another Stan Kubrick “joint,” the sharp-eyed observer will note...

Also, the DI’s imagery makes me think that pulling Pyle’s testicles down will cause his penis to retract (along with the penes of some unrelated Africans).

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 04-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
As an aside, I'm not exactly a worldly guy, and had never heard of a "reach-around" before seeing the movie, but I still thought it was pretty clear, from context, what it meant.
Same. Even better was the implication Hartman knew the reacharound was a matter of common courtesy as though everyone could be presumed to be as well-versed in buggery as he. It's the beauty of the Drill rant--generate as many WTF thoughts per second as you can while encouraging your recruits to focus on the bigger picture. It doesn't have to be clear (short dick every cannibal on the Congo), it just has to be weird and distracting.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 04-17-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
... cause his penis to retract (along with the penes of ...)
I believe that plural form qualifies as pedantry about pendantry.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 PM

In the military, we add "dick" to the end of a lot of adjectives for no reason at all. Radios can be broke-dick, for example, instead of broken. A stranger you met somewhere might be tall-dick, for no reason related to his or her genitals. I recall a sergeant describing his sports car as "quick-dick" once. FWIW.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
In the military, we add "dick" to the end of a lot of adjectives for no reason at all. Radios can be broke-dick, for example, instead of broken. A stranger you met somewhere might be tall-dick, for no reason related to his or her genitals. I recall a sergeant describing his sports car as "quick-dick" once. FWIW.
Sort of like "-ass" is used back on the block, I suppose.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 04-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
It calls to mind Major Kongís intense commitment to the task of getting his B52ís damaged equipment to operate: ďIím gonna get them doors open if it harelips everybody on Bear Creek!Ē
I've definitely also heard/read "harelip the Pope", though I can't recall where.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
I've definitely also heard/read "harelip the Pope", though I can't recall where.
That's the in the song "if that ain't country" by David Alan Coe
Old 04-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Sheesh--what's "harelip?"
Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Sheesh--what's "harelip?"
A cruder term for "cleft lip," a birth defect that causes a split upper lip like that of a hare.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 PM

"Wood eye!"
Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM

OK, while we're at it. An oldie, but I don't get it:
... but we got one little budge on them Rooskies. At this height why they might harpoon us but they dang sure ain't gonna spot us on no radar screen!

I presume everyone knows the source. I get the meaning of course, but have never heard that or seen it before or since. Anyone seen it elsewhere?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
"A joke is like a frog. You can open it to figure out how it works, but by then it's dead" - Alain Chabat