Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Extrajudicial

Is it Unacceptable to Eat Peanut Butter in Public?

Saw this story about a person who fed her four year child a PB&J sandwich while shopping at Target and was criticized for doing so because of the potential interaction with those who have peanut allergies. From the article:
Quote:
If your reaction is of course not, it's a free country, you are definitely siding with the minority.

The anti-peanut butter backlash was swift and brutal. Most responses attacked the mother for potentially endangering children with peanut allergies. Some criticized her for feeding her daughter in a shopping cart, which they considered disgusting.
I find the condemnation to be an overreaction myself. Recreational outrage more like. The question is how much should people take into consideration the allergies of others when out and about and does eating a PB&J fall on the 'not acceptable' side of the line?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM

I would like to know what data the author of the article used to determine "of course not, it's a free country" is the minority opinion.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post

I find the condemnation to be an overreaction myself. Recreational outrage more like.
yep. it's people needing to be judgemental and superior dogpiling an easy target. and some control freaks in the mix.

Quote:
The question is how much should people take into consideration the allergies of others when out and about and does eating a PB&J fall on the 'not acceptable' side of the line?
If you tell me you (or your kid) has a peanut allergy, I'll avoid bringing anything containing them nearby. But I am not going to live as though I have a peanut allergy just on the off chance that I might pass by someone somewhere who does.

edited to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I would like to know what data the author of the article used to determine "of course not, it's a free country" is the minority opinion.
I think the author is just going by the responses in that message board thread. E.g. a statistically skewed self-selected sample of people who need to get their hate on. I'd wager the majority of people who read that and are on the mom's side just rolled their eyes and closed the thread.

Last edited by jz78817; 04-18-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Not unacceptable. People need to look after themselves. It is beyond stupid for someone with a lethal and horrible peanut allergy, for instance, to assume the rest of society will know about and work around their problem. Anyone who thinks they are so special deserves the consequences of their arrogance.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 04-18-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM

People still feel like it's okay to smoke around others in public. Peanut butter kills far fewer people.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:26 PM

When I first read the thread title I wasn't even thinking about the allergy aspect (which is amazing, considering a coworker has a child with a peanut allergy and we're constantly listening to his nonsense). I thought the OP meant because of the smell so my answer was "hell yes" (which is also amazing, since I LOVE pb and eat it at home every day). Peanut butter is not a good smell unless you're the one eating it.
As for the people commenting to the woman in the story, I think they need to get over themselves.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:30 PM

I'm using my child's school as a barometer. Right now, there is a special "no peanut butter" table at lunchtime. Everyone else can do what they will.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Yeah, people need to find a more worthy outlet for their precious snowflakes. It's not as if there's a conspiracy against kids with peanut allergies where the conspirators intentionally smear the handle on the trolley with PB in the hopes that someone's kid will get ill or die from the exposure.

When come back, bring wet wipes for cart's handle.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
People still feel like it's okay to smoke around others in public. Peanut butter kills far fewer people.
And of "random nearby passerby who happen to have peanut allergies" "fewer" = none. Has there ever actually been a case of a drive-by peanut allergy with no contact between the allergic person and the peanut source? Even the "kissed someone who'd eaten peanuts" cases usually turn out to be false.

Schools ask parents not to send peanut products to schools if there's an allergy in the classroom because kids trade and pull "pranks" on each other, not because of proximity effects. This mother was feeding the sandwich to her own child, an entirely different and entirely controlled case.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
People still feel like it's okay to smoke around others in public.
Don't know where you live, but a number of cities have passed laws rendering their restaurants and bars smoke-free, and most workplaces establish a smoking area that's outdoors and well away from the building where people are actually working.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I've been on Southwest Airlines flights where they announced there would be no peanuts because of a passenger with a peanut allergy. Which is odd in light of the thousands of bags of peanuts that have been consumed on that plane, which is already rife with peanut debris. Anyone with a peanut allergy so sensitive they cannot abide a peanut environment has no business boarding any commercial airliner.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 PM

To be honest, I'm not so sure I like the idea of kids eating in public. I've seen kids eat, it turns my stomach.

Other than that, the criticism is pretty silly.

If a store wants to put up a "peanut free zone" sign, and enforce it, that's fine. It's a bit silly, but if they feel the positive PR is better than looking like an idiot, I support their right to do so. If the kid is running around and shoving their PB sandwich into other kid's mouths, that should probably be curtailed.

Outside of that, people should mind their own business as to what people are eating.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
To be honest, I'm not so sure I like the idea of kids eating in public. I've seen kids eat, it turns my stomach.
doesn't bother me, I know what I look like while I'm eating wings
Old 04-18-2018, 02:24 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would be feeding their child any sort of sandwich in Target. If you had the forethought to prepare lunch before going shopping, why not just eat before you go? or if you're running errands all day and you made lunch, eat in the car before you go into the store. Problem solved peanut butter or not.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would be feeding their child any sort of sandwich in Target. If you had the forethought to prepare lunch before going shopping, why not just eat before you go? or if you're running errands all day and you made lunch, eat in the car before you go into the store. Problem solved peanut butter or not.
It keeps the kid quiet and occupied instead of wailing and pulling stuff off the shelves.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 04-18-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 PM

How can Target (or any retailer) have a peanut free zone? Peanut butter is sold there, plus many other products with peanuts in them. Stupid.
OTOH, If it's lunchtime for your child you should be home or at a restaurant feeding your kid. I feel the same way about naptime, take that kid home, please!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
It keeps the kid quiet and occupied instead of wailing and pulling stuff off the shelves.
So food as pacifier instead of training your kid to behave. Got it.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Seems fine to me.

Have there been any cases of deaths or injuries related to airborne exposure to peanut fumes from a sandwich? If this were a real problem of endangering peanut allergic kids, I might change my mind. Instead, what we have is peanut paranoia leading to a wild overreaction. Leave the poor peanut butter-eating kids and their parents alone.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Peanut allergies aren't actually all that common. I think shellfish is actually the most common food allergy, and you never hear anyone making a big fuss about them. And peanut allergies so severe that they can be triggered without actually eating peanuts are extremely rare.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
So food as pacifier instead of training your kid to behave. Got it.
Four year olds, and young kids in general tend to snack frequently. They also aren't always reasonable because they are four years old. Training is only a small component of that.

Having a snack available when out and about I've found is a common practice. Whole Foods even has a "kids club" where they'll just give you free snacks that are sold in the store. Things like their granola bars, fruit snacks, straight up fruit, other individually packaged cracker type things, etc.

Last edited by Bone; 04-18-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Peanut allergies aren't actually all that common. I think shellfish is actually the most common food allergy, and you never hear anyone making a big fuss about them. And peanut allergies so severe that they can be triggered without actually eating peanuts are extremely rare.
Though, to be fair, peanuts are far more common in the environment than shellfish is.

You may be a rarer individual, but your world is far more dangerous.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That explains the dirty looks I get when I give my kid a shrimp cocktail to get them to shut up while I shop at Target.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
That explains the dirty looks I get when I give my kid a shrimp cocktail to get them to shut up while I shop at Target.
That's why I don't bother with the shrimp.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM

You're talking madness, Bone. Rhiannon8404 has already exposed the rock-solid theorem that even the smallest of children, if raised with even the slightest modicum of discipline, can take charge of their own biochemistry and metabolism and march in lockstep as the adults do, squelching with Vulcan-like restraint the need to satisfy their own hunger. The children who must feed at inconvenient times only do so because they are spawned of incompetent parents.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Having a snack available when out and about I've found is a common practice. Whole Foods even has a "kids club" where they'll just give you free snacks that are sold in the store. Things like their granola bars, fruit snacks, straight up fruit, other individually packaged cracker type things, etc.
The local HyVee has a couple baskets of fruit close to the entrance so you can give it to your child to occupy them while you shop.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
Have there been any cases of deaths or injuries related to airborne exposure to peanut fumes from a sandwich?
Sandwich? Not sure. I do know that my wife who has a peanut allergy had a severe reaction to some non-nut ingredient thai food at a co-workers party simply because it was in the same bag as a dish that had peanut sauce as an ingredient.
Kind of puts a damper on the whole evening when you have to give yourself an epi-pen injection and then say good-bye to everyone as they drive you away in an ambulance.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
That's why I don't bother with the shrimp.
I got bad news about what's actually in cocktail sauce, hon.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Seriously with this? I'll be sure to tell the next breast-feeding woman I see "Hey, why don't you go sit in the car and feed that thing!"

Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Sandwich? Not sure. I do know that my wife who has a peanut allergy had a severe reaction to some non-nut ingredient thai food at a co-workers party simply because it was in the same bag as a dish that had peanut sauce as an ingredient.
Kind of puts a damper on the whole evening when you have to give yourself an epi-pen injection and then say good-bye to everyone as they drive you away in an ambulance.
That you got it from a restaurant that uses things like peanut sauce tells me that it was probably cross contamination on the food. The employees did not clean things well enough before preparing her order. I doubt it came from just being in the same bag.

If I had an allergy like that, I would never eat in restaurants. Of course, I don't have an allergy like that, and I never eat in restaurants, so there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
I got bad news about what's actually in cocktail sauce, hon.
Who said anything about sauce?

Shrimp cocktail, minus the shrimp, is just a cocktail, right?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 PM

No, IMO, itís not unacceptable and Iíve never heard of anyone having an allergy so severe that it would cause a problem. I can understand consuming it, but having a reaction because itís in the air, Iím guessing is extremely rare.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Seriously with this? I'll be sure to tell the next breast-feeding woman I see "Hey, why don't you go sit in the car and feed that thing!"

Yes, I may be lactose intolerant.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:53 PM

I opened this thread intending to say no, but have changed my mind in this case. Eating at a lunch table is okay because that will be wiped down between uses. Little kids are messy eaters, and are likely to get PB&J on the cart handle that could harm the next kid who rides in the cart.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:58 PM

Upon seeing the thread title, it didn't even occur to me that this was about allergies. I thought it was about the aesthetics of it (there's no way to eat peanut butter in public that looks good, and I almost thought the OP meant eating it with a spoon from a jar.)

No, allergies shouldn't make it unacceptable - that's just too snowflake-ish. I do think it's a bad idea to feed a child in a cart in Target because it could make a food mess, but that's not allergy related.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:59 PM

That being said, 0.6% of the American populace being allergic to peanuts is far higher a rate than I'd thought.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Glory View Post
I opened this thread intending to say no, but have changed my mind in this case. Eating at a lunch table is okay because that will be wiped down between uses. Little kids are messy eaters, and are likely to get PB&J on the cart handle that could harm the next kid who rides in the cart.
They are also likely to spit, chew, even urinate or defecate in that seat.

At every grocery store around here, next to the carts is a cylinder of wipes. You can wipe own the cart before putting your child in, if you have a concern about peanut butter. (Or spit and/or waste products)

You know what else goes in carts? Peanuts and peanut butter. It's a grocery store.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM

Unacceptable? No. A bit trashy in a cart at Target though.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Since trace amounts can be deadly for someone with a severe allergy, this means that any parent who feeds their kid peanut butter at home needs to scrub the kid's hands and face with Ajax and a Brillo pad for twenty minutes before they head out, lest there be peanut residue that ends up on the grocery cart (or anywhere else in public).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity
That being said, 0.6% of the American populace being allergic to peanuts is far higher a rate than I'd thought.
Agreed - except that "allergic to peanuts" encompasses allergic reactions that range all the way from a slight rash on the lips to instant death. My guess is that people who experience an "instant death" reaction are a small percentage of that 0.6%.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
They are also likely to spit, chew, even urinate or defecate in that seat.

At every grocery store around here, next to the carts is a cylinder of wipes. You can wipe own the cart before putting your child in, if you have a concern about peanut butter. (Or spit and/or waste products)

You know what else goes in carts? Peanuts and peanut butter. It's a grocery store.
Around here, peanut butter is sold in sealed containers and you can be sure that it's not going to be smeared on things in the store, unless someone hands a little kid a glob of it. Yes, you can wipe down the cart. You can also make sure your kid doesn't make a mess by not feeding them in a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Since trace amounts can be deadly for someone with a severe allergy, this means that any parent who feeds their kid peanut butter at home needs to scrub the kid's hands and face with Ajax and a Brillo pad for twenty minutes before they head out, lest there be peanut residue that ends up on the grocery cart (or anywhere else in public).

Normal parents already wash their children's hands.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
With brillo pads? Man, parents today are hardcore.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Around here, peanut butter is sold in sealed containers and you can be sure that it's not going to be smeared on things in the store, unless someone hands a little kid a glob of it.
Are we sure that the outside of a peanut container is completely allergen free?
Quote:

Yes, you can wipe down the cart. You can also make sure your kid doesn't make a mess by not feeding them in a store.
That only prevents them from making a mess of their food. It doesn't keep their drool and other bodily fluids from making a mess.
Quote:
Probably not well enough to prevent someone from having an allergic reaction, if they are so prone to a reaction that they would be harmed by someone eating peanuts around them.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Is that 0.6% based on self-reporting, or actual medical diagnosis? There are a lot of kids whose parents say they're allergic to something, but who aren't.

I've got a suspicion that the reputation of airborne peanut allergies stems from the poor kids having some other allergy that goes undiagnosed. Parent makes kid a peanut butter sandwich, kid gets sick. So parent switches to a baloney sandwich the next day, and the kid still gets sick, so the parent figures that the baloney must have come in contact with peanuts. Parent throws out contents of fridge, scrubs down all surfaces, and buys new baloney and bread from certified nut-free stores, and kid still gets sick. Parent figures that the kid must be getting peanut fumes from other kids in the lunchroom, etc. Meanwhile the kid's actually allergic to wheat.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Are we sure that the outside of a peanut container is completely allergen free?

That only prevents them from making a mess of their food. It doesn't keep their drool and other bodily fluids from making a mess.
I'm sure that the outside of a peanut container will have less peanut proteins on it than a peanut buttery cart handle. Have you seen small children eat? Because it wouldn't be uncommon for one to leave visible peanut butter and jelly marks on things after a PB&J. I'm not talking about the possibility of trace amounts of peanut dust that might remain on the outside of a peanut butter jar or on washed hands.

There's no easy way to prevent drool or a leaky diaper. I'm not going on that tangent.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Probably not well enough to prevent someone from having an allergic reaction, if they are so prone to a reaction that they would be harmed by someone eating peanuts around them.
This. Remember, we're talking about people for whom exposure to trace amounts of peanut residue can be fatal. Wiping your kid's hands and face with a wet washcloth isn't going to ensure that they're below the threshold for hazardous levels of peanut contamination.

In fact, in addition to scrubbing your kid's hands and face with Ajax and steel wool, you better blast his mouth out with a pressure washer before leaving home. If you don't, and your kid puts his finger in his peanut-buttery mouth and then on the shopping cart, he's a public menace, and you are morally culpable in the death of any peanut-sensitive kid who later comes into contact with that cart.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
But that's what baggies of Cheerios are for!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Don't know where you live, but a number of cities have passed laws rendering their restaurants and bars smoke-free, and most workplaces establish a smoking area that's outdoors and well away from the building where people are actually working.
To be perfectly fair, in most bars and restaurants that forbid indoor smoking ; us nicotine hounds tend to congregate right outside the front door (especially in the winter) because we're going right back in in 2 minutes and fuck walking a couple steps away twice.

(Of course, fuck you if you actively bitch at a smoker about having to stand the 'orrible ordeal of maybe walking into a rapidly disappearing cloud of smoke as you go in the restaurant, you horrible entitled twat)

That being said, and to get back on topic, I fail to see how a child eating a PB&J, even as messily as only an overactive kid can, could ever trigger an allergic reaction. I know even traces swallowed can be enough, but are you going to lick the kid ? The cart ? The floor where he's going to drop the sammy because of course he will ? No ? Then shut the fuck up and enjoy the rest of your day, you absolute fucking drama queen.

Last edited by Kobal2; 04-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
That being said, and to get back on topic, I fail to see how a child eating a PB&J, even as messily as only an overactive kid can, could ever trigger an allergic reaction. I know even traces swallowed can be enough, but are you going to lick the kid ? The cart ? The floor where he's going to drop the sammy because of course he will ? No ? Then shut the fuck up and enjoy the rest of your day, you absolute fucking drama queen.
I believe the (least insane) assumption is that the cart will subsequently be occupied by a different small child, this one allergic, who will lick the cart, and/or lick their fingers after playing with the gigantic visible globs of leftover food left on the cart.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I believe the (least insane) assumption is that the cart will subsequently be occupied by a different small child, this one allergic, who will lick the cart, and/or lick their fingers after playing with the gigantic visible globs of leftover food left on the cart.
But if your kid is allergic to peanuts and you know it, you're possibly not going to park it in the cart covered in peanut butter smears. In fact, I would humbly suggest you not use that cart even if your kid is not allergic to peanuts, and even if you have no kid with you because that's fucking disgusting.
Also if your kid routinely licks shopping carts, you have bigger problems on your hands than their allergies.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 PM

Nobody seeks out a cart covered in food, but hasn't everyone touched something - a cart handle, a doorknob, a counter top and ended up accidentally touching something sticky or wet that they didn't notice at first glance?
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
The local HyVee has a couple baskets of fruit close to the entrance so you can give it to your child to occupy them while you shop.
Our local Festival Foods chain has an onsite babysitter (certain hours) in a locked room near the store entrance to occupy the little ones (age restrictions.) There are cameras in it that connect to monitors throughout the store so anxious parents can check up on their little angels. Kids and parents get color coded and numbered matching wristbands.

As far as the article in the OP,
Quote:
A 2015 Kings College, London, study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that eating peanuts in infancy prevents subsequent development of the allergy.
smearing peanut butter on the handle for the next child to ingest would be inoculating those not allergic against the development of the allergy. Save them from a lifetime of hazards. That said, per my wife, most 4yo are too large to sit in the seat and she was more likely sitting in the basket. That age, sandwich eating is a practiced art and not too much is wasted. Also don't think the PB is thick enough to leave gobs of it behind.
My employer urges us to not bring allergens into the plant, not even the break room. We produce raw food and they want no unregulated hazards to possibly cross contaminate the product line.

Sometimes when I'm here I just need to step back and visualize my happy space.

Last edited by PoppaSan; 04-18-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:07 PM

So i have to ask.

Unless the people in the store are Zombies or Cannibals and intend on eating the ladies kid
How the hell does that kid eating a sandwich have any effect on them?