Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 AM

Vote GOP 2018!

This thread is about the three political campaign posters linked below. You really ought to save your comments until after you have viewed them. There is no nudity, profanity or blood in them, but nonetheless they may be NSFW if you work someplace sensitive to, oh, I dunno, controversy? We try not to talk politics where I work so I personally wouldn't open these images there, but at previous workplaces I would have yukked it up. So, use your judgment.

Vote GOP 2018! Poster #1

Yah, sure, the style is a bit amateurish. I am not a professional artist. Who knows, maybe someone will come along and re-work it in an all-digital format, or guide me to some really good yet free software for this kind of thing. Anyway, one could criticize this one as hyperbolic or perhaps ham-fisted, but then again, every element is justified by historical events. For instance, did you know that more people were killed by police in 2017 than black people were lynched during the worst year of Jim Crow? cite. Yet the GOP seems to never to criticize the police, preferring to position themselves as "law and order", a phrase which itself is a euphemism for the mass incarceration of black people. Such is the logic of these images.

Vote GOP 2018! Poster #2

It was hard to decide what to include in the list here, even though it is rather extensive. I'm open to suggestions- a Version 2 is definitely an option. But, has anyone else noticed that the GOP these days seems especially hateful while paradoxically being the party of evangelicals? Seems like they are referring to a different Jesus than the one I grew up with...

Vote GOP 2018! Poster #3

There really oughta be "Climate Change is a Hoax!" and "Tax Cuts Increase Tax Revenues!" headlines included in this one, but I did not think I would be able to recreate the mad-but-not-overwhelming blur. The primary concern is addressed though. Retiring Baby Boomers are selling their 401ks, putting downward pressure on the stock market. It seems to be at a peak- the tax stimulus seems the last thing to be done to goose it, and taxes will probably have to rise again pretty soon, which could serve to reverse recent gains. And the Fed is raising rates again- who knows where that stops? Look at the history of it. Today's rates are not normal, and neither is it normal to be marching steadfastly towards $20 trillion in public debt. If rates rise to even 5% at that point, the American public will be on the hook for $1 trillion a year in bond interest. Since there will be so much downward pressure on the stock market, potentially long-term, thank goodness there is an alternative $1 trillion and growing sure-thing revenue source in the pipeline, or I'd really be worried about how the wealthy were going to become even wealthier.

I've read a lot on the board recently about how right-wingers are basically unreachable. Who knows, maybe they are, but then again no demographic is ever a monolithic bloc, no? Remember how Don Quixote was an unreachable nut job, right up until he wasn't? Do you remember what finally got through to him?
SPOILER:
mirrors

Maybe this approach of condensing contemporary history into imagery can have a similar effect. Or maybe you have a better idea?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 AM

I like the second one best. Add 'rule of law', 'fair elections' and 'free press' to the list.

I don't think there is any reaching across the isle anymore. The right has hated the left for decades, but the election of Trump, and the support of people like Roy moore has really unleashed a lot of hate on our side too.

So I guess at this point the biggest goal is increasing turnout among the left rather than winning over any conservatives. Will these posters help with that? The kinds of people who truly enjoy those posters will probably vote anyway. In general, 60-70 million democrats vote in presidential election years but only about 40 million show up in midterms.

We need to focus on the 20-30 million democrats who show up in presidential years, but stay home in midterms, and get them to vote in midterms.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-20-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 AM

Could use a little focus on the Democrats who don't show up in presidential years. But running not-Hillary will help with that next time.

Give me a day or two to put together your suggestion for #2.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Could use a little focus on the Democrats who don't show up in presidential years. But running not-Hillary will help with that next time.

Give me a day or two to put together your suggestion for #2.
Those are fairly common turnout numbers for both parties. For both parties in recent times, about 60-70 million people vote in presidential elections, but only about 40 million show up in midterms.

The 2010 GOP blowout had 45 million GOP voters while the dems has about 39 million. That was enough to win them the federal house and about 700 seats in state legislatures. If the dems can get 45-55 million voters in 2018 vs about 40 million for the GOP, it'll be a legendary blowout. The dems could gain 1000+ legislative seats on the state & federal level.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-20-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 AM

In #2, "Welfare Queens" is pejorative, and thus not in keeping with the overall theme. Maybe change it to Welfare recipients?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 AM

I seem to recall an article explaining that the only hope the dems have to defeat Trump is focussing on their own policies.
I thoroughly agree.
Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it: Trump and the GOP thrive when the discussion is about negatives.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:11 AM

I can't see the posters at the moment (stupid firewalls) but in a "Helping!" effort will point you to my own humble advertising campaign proposal.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I like the second one best. Add 'rule of law', 'fair elections' and 'free press' to the list.

I don't think there is any reaching across the isle anymore. The right has hated the left for decades, but the election of Trump, and the support of people like Roy moore has really unleashed a lot of hate on our side too.

So I guess at this point the biggest goal is increasing turnout among the left rather than winning over any conservatives. Will these posters help with that? The kinds of people who truly enjoy those posters will probably vote anyway. In general, 60-70 million democrats vote in presidential election years but only about 40 million show up in midterms.

We need to focus on the 20-30 million democrats who show up in presidential years, but stay home in midterms, and get them to vote in midterms.

You need the press to be your advocate and a rock star candidate to bring out the vote. The middle class will appreciate the tax cuts.

I don't think the Dem's will run on who Trump slept with, a witch hunt to frame him, or the economy.

Roy Moore was a scumbag, but so were most of me too Hollywood types that helped " get out the vote "
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Sorry, I had to get over my laughter at the thread title long enough to post.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM

Moderating

More of a rant, even with the electoral backdrop. Moved from Elections to the Pit.

[/moderating]
Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 PM

These are great posters. What grade are you in?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it
I see it more as judo, using the energy of an opponent's attack against them.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 PM

I did click the first one. Thanks for the "may possibly might could be NSFW" warning before I looked at a poster with a big swastika and pictures of Black people hanging from nooses. (noosii?)
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Posters like this will make the Republicans feel like they're under attack, which will make them more engaged and likely to get out and vote. I fear you might be doing more harm than good.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:23 PM

Might as well make a sign that says, "republicans r racist, amiright?" (Seriously, there's such a thing as trying waaaay too hard. You need to learn to be subtle)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-20-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I did click the first one. Thanks for the "may possibly might could be NSFW" warning before I looked at a poster with a big swastika and pictures of Black people hanging from nooses. (noosii?)
I did say I wouldn't open it up at my own job. Not trying to cause you trouble. Thing is, there is a big swastika in poster 1 because the current leader of the GOP defends neo-Nazis, and the GOP congressional majorities in both houses have very little to say about that. There are people hanging from nooses because the police in America today kill more Americans than terrorists do, more Americans than enemy combatants kill our soldiers. Too often the people killed are unarmed black people. When that is the case, they may as well have been lynched. What's the difference? I guess there isn't a crowd of haters shouting epithets while it happens, but the result is the same for the victim. And, have you noticed that the GOP repeatedly rushes to the defense of the police rather than calling for reform? The leader of the GOP has in fact encouraged the police to be rougher with suspects, people who presumably have not even been found guilty yet. The root of the problem really isn't disturbing imagery on your computer screen, it is that such a poster could be put together about one of our major political parties and every element is justified. Maybe if these kinds of reminders were in everyone's faces, support for these trends would wane.

People seemed to like #2 better. No swastikas, no hanged people, though probably not any safer for work.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Posters like this will make the Republicans feel like they're under attack, which will make them more engaged and likely to get out and vote. I fear you might be doing more harm than good.
Maybe. But guess what? YOU and ME are under attack. Can you explain the justification for $1 trillion deficits in the current economic climate? Yah, I know the GOP has their cockamamie theories about smaller government at any cost, but c'mon, it should be obvious that the GOP is doing the bidding of the wealthy at the expense of, well, pretty much 99% of the population, including their own supporters. Doesn't this kind of corruption bother you? Does it not concern you that the American taxpayer, within just 5 years, could be on the hook for $1 trillion in bond interest, paid to the set that can afford $20 trillion in bonds? It is like one of those fantasy stories in which a coven of vampires captures people and imprisons them to suck their blood a little at a time- not enough to kill them- for the purpose of keeping them as a sort of herd of cattle they prey on. Only here in reality, the cattle are to be all of us. May want to make a little more noise, Chronos.

I have co-workers who have said things to the effect of, "If they take my Social Security away, I am going to be on the lawn of the White House throwing molotov cocktails." Guess what? Taking Social Security away is one of the top goals of the GOP Speaker of the House, and the means to do it have already been passed into law. In these circumstances, are the feelings of Republicans really the top priority? If the "you are definitely a sucker" message reached every GOP voter, well, maybe it would just bounce of their carapaces, but maybe some would question why they are supporting such a general-population hating set of policies and Stop Doing It.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Might as well make a sign that says, "republicans r racist, amiright?" (Seriously, there's such a thing as trying waaaay too hard. You need to learn to be subtle)
If I had wanted to make that poster, don't you think I would have? These posters don't have quite so simple message. You are wrong to characterize them as calling the GOP out as racist- yes, they leverage racism when it can gain them some support, but the themes here are hatred and corruption. Also, people's blindness to their own suckerdom.

Trying too hard? Oh, I don't know. I like Michelle Obama a lot, but I also feel like, "When they go low, we go high" pretty much failed. And now the guys who want to destroy Social Security and Medicare are in power, following through on their mission to screw us all over. If in the future when you are retirement age I spot you in an alley somewhere eating a can of cat food with your bare, grubby fingers, you probably won't appreciate my pointing out that moral superiority makes for a lousy meal and a nonexistent rent payment, and maybe we all should have tried a little harder when we had the chance. Maybe "When they go low, we kick them in the nuts" should have been given a hearing. We really need to act now, before it is too late. You are waaay too complacent.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 04-20-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 PM

You know there's a middle ground between "When they go low, we go high" (that was Hilary Clinton, BTW, not Michelle Obama) and ranting and raving, right?

Look up pictures from Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's big rally from a few years ago. People are more likely to pay attention when they think you actually have something rational and interesting to say.

Otherwise, they'll think you're just another nutjob.

Or watch Trevor Noah's takedown of Tomi Lahren.

(Here's an article explaining why it worked)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-20-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I know that we're under attack, which is why I don't want to unnecessarily weaken our position.

Quote:
I have co-workers who have said things to the effect of, "If they take my Social Security away, I am going to be on the lawn of the White House throwing molotov cocktails." Guess what? Taking Social Security away is one of the top goals of the GOP Speaker of the House, and the means to do it have already been passed into law.
So that's what we need to be messaging. "Republicans have already passed a bill to kill Social Security and Medicare in the next decadefootnote. We need to elect Democrats to the House and Senate, so we can repeal it before it's too late." It's cold and factual enough that it won't rile up the Republicans against us, but those cold facts are exactly the ones that will swing a lot of voters.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I can't see the posters at the moment (stupid firewalls) but in a "Helping!" effort will point you to my own humble advertising campaign proposal.
I noticed that! I liked it. I referenced that thread as the bit about righties being unreachable- it was claimed they could not be reasoned with or affected by ethical arguments. Well, there are only three classical modes of persuasion, and with ethos and logos crossed off the list, that leaves pathos.

Because I would like to reach them. Your approach is taunting. Mine is obviously ultra-critical, but it is very specific, no? I'm pointing out how shitty and ugly they can look. But it isn't merely a taunt- they could always change some of those things, and then we could all go back to the Great American Kumbaya.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You know there's a middle ground between "When they go low, we go high" (that was Hilary Clinton, BTW, not Michelle Obama) and ranting and raving, right?
I remember that phrase mainly from Michelle Obama saying it in support of Hillary. And, I think you are interpreting the posters as "ranting and raving" because of your emotional reaction. And they are intended as an appeal to pathos, but I think you are missing the message. Which is probably ok- if you get pissed off enough about something you will probably remember it, and that creates the opportunity for you to figure it out later.

I'll check out those links. I stopped watching those kind of shows a few years ago...
Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Gyrate- I was posting from memory, and got your message confused with the covfefe thing. Which is why my response to you doesn't make sense.

Chronos- I guess you disagree with posts like this one. I can respect your sticking with the rational approach whether it works or not. I'm not sure how many people will be swayed as that message isn't entirely new, but who knows? Me, I'm branching out looking for something that mightyield more results, as previous approaches have left us with The Donald. Obviously cyber security against foreign powers is going to have to be part of the answer, but how do you fix that when the chief executive is captured? What if it is too late by any means?
Old 04-21-2018, 03:32 AM

Good raw material. I think the #1 text should incorporate Family Values. #2 can be two separate panels, the long list of items is great (Support REAL Americans against: ) but Gunslinger Jesus deserves its own panel too. #3 could maybe use a MAGA hat.

This was fun.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 AM

I also liked 2, but you need to add “Amazon Prime” in there,
Old 04-21-2018, 08:03 AM

They look more like backdrops for ransom notes.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

It's not that I don't think there's a place for emotional appeals. I just think that emotional appeals like the ones you're making specifically are likely to be counterproductive. You have to figure out who your target is for any particular ad, and what emotions will influence them.

In this case, you're playing to fear. But Republicans are more motivated by fear than Democrats are. To a Democrat, the message that will be received is "You should fear Trump", and that's a useful message. But to a Republican, the message that will be received (even though it's not the one you intended to send) is "You should fear Democrats". And because Republicans are more motivated by fear than Democrats are, the message that you didn't intend will be more effective than the one you did intend.

Now, you could mitigate this by only sending your message to Democrats, or people you think are likely to be Democrats. But with a poster, in the Information Age, that's impossible: Even if you only put it up in the solidest-blue areas, some Republican is going to see it, and take a picture, and spread it all over the Internet and other media. It could, however, work in one-on-one discussions, or in speeches to small groups.

Or you can play on other emotions, which would have different effects. Your best bet here is to associate positive emotions with the candidates you like: That's very difficult to corrupt. Tammy Duckworth, for instance, is doing an excellent job of this right now, using an even more emotion-based (and less fact-based) messaging: Right now, she's associated with Motherhood, and Loving Babies, and everything that goes along with that. People are associating motherhood and love with Duckworth, and it's tough to transform that into associating them with Trump, or to hating Duckworth, or to any other unintended message. And no, that's not why she had her baby, but all the rest of us should still absolutely play it up to the max.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:01 AM

I hope Democrats understand the difference between doing something that is actually effective versus than doing something that simply makes you feel good.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I hope Democrats understand the difference between doing something that is actually effective versus than doing something that simply makes you feel good.

As we found out, many Dems can't be bothered to get off their fat ass and vote. We need to fix that before we do another thing.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Your first one looks like some unhinged nutjob made it. It doesn't have visual appeal, except for the naked mudflap girls. Its message is "You should hate Republicans." Liberals already do. Conservatives will look at it as an another example of how liberals have no Christian/family values and spread more horror tales about it. Voters who are on the fence won't be swayed by it. If anything, they'll vote Republican out of spite for you.

The second one will just alienate Christians and southerners and make them feel like they're being targeted. You have to understand the power of ads - designers want viewers to have a positive experience looking at it. This looks dangerous, like a ransom note, and has no appeal. You're preaching to the anarchist choir and won't win over many ambivalent voters.

The third one looks like a poster for a punk show. It might draw a few "Hey look, it's the Joker" comments, but then viewers will see the political stuff and walk on. It also makes China look like the bad guys instead of Trump, and the nationalists might think it supports their views.

Overall, I don't think these will start the enlightened political movement you're looking for. All they do is express your negativity, and won't make a dent in voting outcomes.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe. But guess what? YOU and ME are under attack. Can you explain the justification for $1 trillion deficits in the current economic climate?
That is an excellent point. Can you explain how any of your posters address that?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Poster #1 will attract more Trump votes then it turns away. Vote for Trump and he will send a porn star to your apartment. Who cares if the porn star has Nazi tattoos if she does anal?

Great minds must think alike since I almost posted something like #2 just now in a GD thread about guns. What does it matter whether Scotus defends guns 5-4 or 9-0? The 2A didn't come from FFs, it came from Jehovah. It's pretty clear Jesus and his disciples had semi-automatics that night in the garden of Gethsemane and could have held off the soldiers if it weren't for some libtard restriction on magazine capacity.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 PM

HA HA HA HA! Can someone remind me why we're supposed to be against "the post office" again on Poster #2?? That is so funny. I mean, I think we can all unite on "hookers who blab", but...

Last edited by Locrian; 04-21-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
If they didn't look like they were slapped together by a mental patient during mandatory arts and crafts time, then you'd be rightly worried. As it is, more laughable than anything.

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-21-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:39 PM

Here are some of the examples I was talking about:

The 53 Funniest Signs From the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

A google-image search for the same.

See, subtley and humor tend to work best. I'm not saying you have to use any of these, but it's a good example of what you might want to aim for.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
This thread is about the three political campaign posters linked below. You really ought to save your comments until after you have viewed them. There is no nudity, profanity or blood in them, but nonetheless they may be NSFW if you work someplace sensitive to, oh, I dunno, controversy? We try not to talk politics where I work so I personally wouldn't open these images there, but at previous workplaces I would have yukked it up. So, use your judgment.
I think it's nice that they're letting you use scissors.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It's not that I don't think there's a place for emotional appeals. I just think that emotional appeals like the ones you're making specifically are likely to be counterproductive. You have to figure out who your target is for any particular ad, and what emotions will influence them.

In this case, you're playing to fear. But Republicans are more motivated by fear than Democrats are. To a Democrat, the message that will be received is "You should fear Trump", and that's a useful message. But to a Republican, the message that will be received (even though it's not the one you intended to send) is "You should fear Democrats". And because Republicans are more motivated by fear than Democrats are, the message that you didn't intend will be more effective than the one you did intend.

Now, you could mitigate this by only sending your message to Democrats, or people you think are likely to be Democrats. But with a poster, in the Information Age, that's impossible: Even if you only put it up in the solidest-blue areas, some Republican is going to see it, and take a picture, and spread it all over the Internet and other media. It could, however, work in one-on-one discussions, or in speeches to small groups.

Or you can play on other emotions, which would have different effects. Your best bet here is to associate positive emotions with the candidates you like: That's very difficult to corrupt. Tammy Duckworth, for instance, is doing an excellent job of this right now, using an even more emotion-based (and less fact-based) messaging: Right now, she's associated with Motherhood, and Loving Babies, and everything that goes along with that. People are associating motherhood and love with Duckworth, and it's tough to transform that into associating them with Trump, or to hating Duckworth, or to any other unintended message. And no, that's not why she had her baby, but all the rest of us should still absolutely play it up to the max.
I see the point you are making. I am not sure I agree. I am targeting GOP voters for sure, to dissuade them. It is ok with me if they feel like they have to fear Democrats- the movie title, "I Am Coming to Get You, Sucker!" comes to mind (at the ballot box, exclusively). I am inclined to believe that Dem voters will see these posters and be like, "*shrug*, I don't have that problem, this isn't meant for me. But... hur hur." Full disclosure, I don't see myself as a "liberal" or even a Democrat, I'm an Independent, but I am taking up the cause of the Democrats for as long as the GOP promotes inferior ideas. Could vary depending on individual candidates &etc.

You have given me an idea for a pro-Dem poster, but you will have to give me a little time, I am pretty busy as it is and the queue keeps getting bigger.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Yes. There may be some of that going on with these posters. Do you ever get an "art ache"? This happens to me- I was a musician for many years when I was younger. I had a lot of audio/musical ideas, and if I ignored them completely they would sort of start to bug me. Producing some piece of musical art would cure the issue and so I had a little hobby without ever actually being some kind of rock star or what have you.

Well these days I get different artistic ideas, they are more literary and, most recently, things like the posters. The first one especially- I ignored the concept for awhile until it started to bother me, so I slapped it together to put an end to it. The original idea was not to put it on the Dope or maybe I would have taken a little more care to make it look organized. Anyway I do feel better, but I also think there is more to it. I've been observing the political situation for some time now and am convinced there is a place for a different approach. Maybe what I'm doing can be improved upon, but you must admit it is different.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe what I'm doing can be improved upon, but you must admit it is different.
Yeah, in the way beginner's art class projects stapled to bulletin boards is different.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Your first one looks like some unhinged nutjob made it. It doesn't have visual appeal, except for the naked mudflap girls. Its message is "You should hate Republicans." Liberals already do. Conservatives will look at it as an another example of how liberals have no Christian/family values and spread more horror tales about it. Voters who are on the fence won't be swayed by it. If anything, they'll vote Republican out of spite for you.
What if I cleaned it up a bit? I could certainly do a V2.0 that addresses the sloppiness, but maybe that isn't really your problem with it. Let me know if it will help at all before I go to the trouble. Don't get the wrong idea- I don't have some kind of yen for working with swastikas and Confederate flags, it is just that those elements are totally applicable to the current administration. I am hoping to convict GOP voters. You have probably read articles in which some religious figure from some local community gets an education about, say, climate change, and goes back to his church and explains to the people, like he is some kind of magical Bible-beater-whisperer, the reasons why climate change is a genuine phenomenon and why accepting small specific bites of that liberal scientific mumbo jumbo will not offend The Lord. The subtext is that outsiders can't communicate with them in the first place, and certainly can't convict them. Well I disagree, I believe I can.

Quote:
The second one will just alienate Christians and southerners and make them feel like they're being targeted. You have to understand the power of ads - designers want viewers to have a positive experience looking at it. This looks dangerous, like a ransom note, and has no appeal. You're preaching to the anarchist choir and won't win over many ambivalent voters.
They are being targeted. Not Southerners so much- do you realize it is not coincidence that the Confederate flag takes the form of a cross? I think the GOP has dusted off some of the philosophy behind that and leveraged it for votes, and while those ideas have more of a Southern heritage than anything, I don't think they are really localized to the South in the modern era.

A lot of people on the right subscribe to a raft of destructive and stupid ideas, and I intend to drag that out into the light and demand that they change. I am glad that more than one person thinks it looks like a ransom note- that seems appropriate this year, though I am not prepared to write an essay explaining why at this time.
Quote:
The third one looks like a poster for a punk show. It might draw a few "Hey look, it's the Joker" comments, but then viewers will see the political stuff and walk on. It also makes China look like the bad guys instead of Trump, and the nationalists might think it supports their views.
Yeah, I am not sure it is clear that the headlines in that poster are directly attributable to the current GOP regime- they totally are, of course, but does the poster really convince the viewer of that?

I was happy to find this particular image of the Joker for this one. The original idea was different, but when I saw this one I realized I could tie in the GOP's weird gun obsession through the whole set. Here's a madman with a gun, things are a little blurry and the headlines aren't good, it isn't clear how all this ties together but you better hurry up and focus or BANG! that's it for you. This administration already seems to be wielding a lot of destructive power, seeming almost to be taking pot shots resulting in the things indicated by the headlines. I really like how this aspect of it came out. Why is the GOP so obsessed with guns that they want people with mental illnesses or criminal/terrorist histories to buy and keep them? "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" are also rights guaranteed by the Constitution, and it is understood that these kinds of things can be in tension with each other and in need of balance, and that it is the government's role to do that because, yanno, that is what the Constitution is about....

It is not that I am a zealot on guns- far from it, gun policy is close to the bottom of my priority list. My personal proposal is to license and register guns similarly as cars. You need a license to buy a gun. You need to register your guns. If you turn out to be the wrong kind of criminal or terrorist, make threats or ______, you can forfeit your gun rights because the rest of us don't have to put up with the risk of you shooting us for no good reason. Everyone else gets to have however many guns and kinds of guns as before. Thing is, some people are freaked out by a gun registry, and I can respect that. Some people want to ban AR-15s, and I can respect that. I don't really care which sides wins those battles.

What jumps out at me is the GOP's obsession with guns. They are all but hysterically conspiratorial about the issue. I'm not even a "liberal", but no, I do not think liberals are out to take away people's guns, I think that is a fringe position with little traction. Yet the GOP is loony about guns. It is almost as if they are distracting from the unreasonableness of their positions on all those other things listed on the posters by pushing their base's emotional buttons on this one, over and over and over again. It seems like they don't much care that thousands of people are being killed. And that's fucked up.
Quote:
Overall, I don't think these will start the enlightened political movement you're looking for. All they do is express your negativity
Despite my commentary, I think all of your criticisms have more merit than the bolded part. I really don't think this is MY negativity. If I were going around spraying swastikas on overpasses and alley walls, that would be one thing. But when it comes to the GOP today, it fits. I am merely reflecting that. Mirrors? Don Quixote? I'd guess I'd like to take this time to challenge my, heh, critical mass of critics to point out which specific elements of the posters are untrue or not rightly attributable to today's GOP.
Quote:
and won't make a dent in voting outcomes.
Hard to say about the results at this point- are you some kind of clairvoyant or soothseer?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 PM

One problem with using the Confederate flag and Jim Crow/lynching imagery: you're actually showing the history of the DEMOCRATIC party, (Southern Democrats, but still Democrats). And yes, I am indeed aware that it's only been recently that the Republicans became the party on the right, and the Democrats the party on the left (it used to be a lot more complicated)

BUT, it's still going to make you look pretty ignorant of history, and it's not the message you say you want to get across.

Quote:
For instance, did you know that more people were killed by police in 2017 than black people were lynched during the worst year of Jim Crow?
So why not make a poster SAYING just that, and have the link underneath? (Although Root tends to be a wee sensationalist, I'd see if I couldn't find a better cite, one that lists stats)

And always avoid calling your opponents Nazis, unless they actually are. It's way too much of a cliche.

Here are some better examples:

Shocking Things Liberals Believe

Guns Vs. Abortions

With Hypocrisy Like This

A Short History of the American Right

If Minimum Wage Was Meant to Be a Living Wage

We Are Liberals

Are You Lazy Little Bastards HUNGRY?

The Good Old Days

Pro-Life Logic 101

George Carlin on Pro-Lifers (Because I love George Carlin)

The "trickle-down" Theory

Those Damned Liberals!

Get Our Kids Back to Work

Child Coal Mine Workers, 1911

People Claim They Love Donald Trump

Calls Social Security a Ponzi Scheme

Paul Ryan and Military Pensions

See? Some of them are still snarky, but not hostile, foaming at the mouth.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-22-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And always avoid calling your opponents Nazis, unless they actually are. It's way too much of a cliche.
I'm sure some of the Nazis are fine people.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I've read a lot on the board recently about how right-wingers are basically unreachable.
Well, of course you have. And why, might you ask? The answer is simple: the left acts in such a manner and then accuses the right of acting in that manner. And since this board tilts FAR to the left.....

Here's a thought: North Korea's Kim Jong Un is more willing to work with President Trump than the Democratic Party is. Ponder that for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

I don't think there is any reaching across the isle anymore.
See the above.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Here's a thought: North Korea's Kim Jong Un is more willing to work with President Trump than the Democratic Party is. Ponder that for a while.
Has he asked?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Lead by example. If you want the political discourse to change for the better, then change YOUR tone. Attack is not the right approach in my humble opinion. These posters just lower the tone and attack your opponent with high emotional hyperbole. NOT a step forward.

If you really want to change the arena, find out how to reach the people not voting, on either side. I’m pretty sure that’s where the answer lies. Everybody is all, “What do we need to do to get Dems/Reps to vote for our guy?” When everybody should be asking, how do we get an overwhelming majority to actually come out and vote.

Consider how much more inclined they’d all be to listen to your concerns and speak a language you can parse IF no one gets to form a government without at least 65% of the voters going to the polls! Suddenly the power is back in the voters hand, instead of voters being ignored over corporate concerns. Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

But actually, this stands alone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Here's a thought:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm sure some of the Nazis are fine people.
My father helped some of them get better. Normandy, I think it was.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM

OP, I get that you want to shock and startle conservative voters. I'm just saying they won't buy what you're selling.

Not trying to be corny, but if you want to win them over, you should strive for quality and a good visual experience. Guidelines for effective PPT presentations apply, like this one.

Make your posters intriguing, not insulting. You may think they deserve the vitriol, but your approach is only going to make them more angry. At least put some humor and/or intrigue into it.

Humor Jesus with a gun
Intrigue Cross made of rifles

Last edited by Knowed Out; 04-23-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:33 AM

I like #2, Jesus on the cross with a gun in each hand.

"HELLS YAAH! I'm dying on the cross and I'm going to HELL!! To kick some ass for all of you and free the dead! SATAN I'M COMING FOR YOU!!!"

Yup, that's an American God.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This thread is about the three political campaign posters linked below... <much snippage>...Or maybe you have a better idea?
I like #2. To add:

1. The Ten Commandments
2. The Constitution
3. Their chance at Heaven