Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 210
Atheist Bus Driver Trys to Convert Students

is a headline I've never seen. But this guy:http://kstp.com/news/twin-cities-sch...hkola/4874378/ did decide it was appropriate to lead the kids on his bus in prayer. Turns out he was fired for doing this in another district as well.
  #2  
Old 04-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 21,989
Quote:
A Twin Cities-area school bus driver says his rights to free speech and to practice his religion were violated when he was taken off his route for leading students in prayer.
I look forward to reading about his lawsuit as it progresses briefly thru the court.


Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 04-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.
  #3  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 43,014
The Fundie on the Bus
Goes Pray Pray Pray
...
  #4  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 AM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7,255
I'm really surprised that this isn't a white guy. I don't know why, but I tend to associate "government or government-adjacent employee forcing Christianity on a captive audience that you have a power advantage over" as a white thing.
  #5  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 18,835
Where is the Atheist part?
  #6  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Son of a Rich Son of a Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 3,970
What does "atheist" mean in this context?
  #7  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,436
Jesus, Take The Wheel.
Quote:
Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
'Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
And save me from this road I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel
Not what you want to hear from a school bus driver.


  #8  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:29 AM
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Where is the Atheist part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
What does "atheist" mean in this context?
Re-read the OP. He's saying this is a headline you never see.
  #9  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Re-read the OP. He's saying this is a headline you never see.

Yeah, the moron can't even do click bait right.
__________________
Remember, pillage before burning.
  #10  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
milquetoast milquetoast is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Yeah, the moron can't even do click bait right.
You opened the thread and clearly read (at least) parts of it. Seems to me he did click bait perfectly.
  #11  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:23 PM
EddyTeddyFreddy EddyTeddyFreddy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Exurbia, No'thuh Bawst'n
Posts: 12,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Jesus, Take The Wheel.

Not what you want to hear from a school bus driver.


Not that wheel!
__________________
Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle. ~ iampunha
Well, maybe you shouldn't use the political equivalent of the Weekly World News as a factual source. Just sayin'. ~ RTFirefly
Brought to you as a public service by EddyTeddyFreddy Industries, Inc., purveyors of wit, wisdom, badinage, and run-on sentences since 1949.
  #12  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM
kanicbird kanicbird is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Re-read the OP. He's saying this is a headline you never see.
I've met plenty of preaching atheist trying to convert the saved. They just get to use terms that exclude themselves from being tagged as such.
  #13  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 28,003
Not that one either! It's drivin' me nuts!
  #14  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
You opened the thread and clearly read (at least) parts of it. Seems to me he did click bait perfectly.
But then, what do you know?
__________________
Remember, pillage before burning.
  #15  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:37 PM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I've met plenty of preaching atheist trying to convert the saved. They just get to use terms that exclude themselves from being tagged as such.
Like, "logic", and "reason", and "science", and "evidence"?
  #16  
Old 04-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Locrian Locrian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Village, CA
Posts: 3,708
Good thing I read the OP! I was about to type, "You GO, heathen bus driver!"
  #17  
Old 04-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Hilarity N. Suze Hilarity N. Suze is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,497
There are no atheists on school busses.
  #18  
Old 04-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 38,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Where is the Atheist part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Re-read the OP. He's saying this is a headline you never see.
Yeah, it's bait and switch.
  #19  
Old 04-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 38,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I've met plenty of preaching atheist trying to convert the saved.
Only the saved? If they are atheists, how do they know they are saved? For that matter, how do the saved know they are saved?

Do these atheists come knocking at your door early on a Sunday morning? Are they passing out leaflets on street corners? How exactly did you meet these proselytizing atheists?
  #20  
Old 04-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
How exactly did you meet these proselytizing atheists?
I'm seeing kanicbird as the guy with the rake.
  #21  
Old 04-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
...
How exactly did you meet these proselytizing atheists?
They hang out in GD.
__________________
Remember, pillage before burning.
  #22  
Old 04-21-2018, 03:22 PM
simster simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The Fundie on the Bus
Goes Pray Pray Pray
...
100 gods of men on the wall
100 gods of men
take one down,
throw away his crown
99 gods of men on the wall
  #23  
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I've met plenty of preaching atheist trying to convert the saved. They just get to use terms that exclude themselves from being tagged as such.
<bolding mine>

You spelled "credulous" wrong.
  #24  
Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Ace309 Ace309 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I've met plenty of preaching atheist trying to convert the saved. They just get to use terms that exclude themselves from being tagged as such.
Would you please offer some examples of those terms? I donít, at first blush, agree with you, but Iím curious what your argument is and Iíd like to listen in good faith.
  #25  
Old 04-21-2018, 04:53 PM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 33,848
I agree that a bus driver shouldn't lead people in prayer, but I don't agree it's the same sort of thing as the title. This is less forcing people to convert, and more forcing people to participate in his own religious practices, in a place where they have not opted into such.

I'm not sure there is an atheist equivalent. Best I can come up with is leading them in a song about how there is no God. But that still doesn't get it quite right.
  #26  
Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 38,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I'm not sure there is an atheist equivalent. Best I can come up with is leading them in a song about how there is no God. But that still doesn't get it quite right.
There's definitely a lack of rousing atheist hymns. But John Lennon's Imagine might serve.

Quote:
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us, only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
  #27  
Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
There are no atheists on school busses.
I laughed.
__________________
__________________

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
  #28  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 PM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
There's definitely a lack of rousing atheist hymns. But John Lennon's Imagine might serve.
There's only one song in the Atheist Hymnal.
  #29  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I agree that a bus driver shouldn't lead people in prayer, but I don't agree it's the same sort of thing as the title. This is less forcing people to convert, and more forcing people to participate in his own religious practices, in a place where they have not opted into such.

I'm not sure there is an atheist equivalent. Best I can come up with is leading them in a song about how there is no God. But that still doesn't get it quite right.
The atheist bus driver gets his converts when he drive the students to a field trip at a science museum.
  #30  
Old 04-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 38,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
There's only one song in the Atheist Hymnal.
How disappointing. That's a song about atheists, not for atheists.
  #31  
Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Penfeather Penfeather is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Jesus, Take The Wheel.

Not what you want to hear from a school bus driver.


Jesus rides beside me
He never buys any smokes
Hurry up, hurry up, ain't you had enough of this stuff
Ashtray floors, dirty clothes and filthy jokes
  #32  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 PM
SaneBill SaneBill is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

Not what you want to hear from a school bus driver.
But EVERYBODY would pray on that school bus.
Mission accomplished.
( Chugging down few beers would do the same trick.)
  #33  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:34 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 12,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Only the saved? If they are atheists, how do they know they are saved? For that matter, how do the saved know they are saved?
It's that "I'm already saved cuz I said I was christian even though I do not practice what I preach or demand of you... but you're a piece of shit so fuck you anyway" line.


Matthew 7:21-23

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

James 2:24

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Last edited by SteveG1; 04-21-2018 at 09:36 PM.
  #34  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:03 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Only the saved? If they are atheists, how do they know they are saved?
They tell you they are every chance they get.
  #35  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Telemark Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Again, Titletown
Posts: 20,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
They tell you they are every chance they get.
That's Crossfit enthusiasts, common mistake.
  #36  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:09 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,606
Yeah, too easy. Whenever I see a cross of any sort I hide.
  #37  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I agree that a bus driver shouldn't lead people in prayer, but I don't agree it's the same sort of thing as the title. This is less forcing people to convert, and more forcing people to participate in his own religious practices, in a place where they have not opted into such..
from artivle: "Nathaniel says he wants to turn people to Christianity,"
  #38  
Old 04-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Penfeather Penfeather is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,699
Then he should drive one of these, becasue there are no atheists in a Vauxhall.
  #39  
Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 AM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,606
Sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson would say.
  #40  
Old 04-22-2018, 12:18 AM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 23,471
Now I'm trying to imagine a Nihilist bus driver preaching to the kids.

Telling 5 and 6 year olds that nothing matters, their lives aren't important and just like everything else, they're all going to die someday; as you drive them home.
__________________
Little packets of Fear and Outrage, sold like crack from your Computer and TV

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
  #41  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 AM
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 38,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Now I'm trying to imagine a Nihilist bus driver preaching to the kids.

Telling 5 and 6 year olds that nothing matters, their lives aren't important and just like everything else, they're all going to die someday; as you drive them home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
Nihilists! ..Fuck me. I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.
---
  #42  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:46 AM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 33,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batano View Post
from artivle: "Nathaniel says he wants to turn people to Christianity,"
That's one of those things separating intention from action, then. I'd argue that, while his intention may be to convert people, his action was more to force them to participate. This is a rather stupid way to try and convert people.

I guess the atheist hymn would also be a stupid way to try and convert people, so maybe it's closer to the right analogy than I thought.

Still, the OP, for his title to work, had to come up with something that might actually happen so we'd fall for the clickbait. And the dearth of atheist songs makes that unlikely. But we've all known that one atheist who thinks it's his job to convert everyone else. Usually it's a former theist of some sort who feels he's seen the light. So I could believe that the bus driver was that guy.

At least, I could believe it long enough to want to click on the thread.
  #43  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
...


Still, the OP, for his title to work, had to come up with something that might actually happen so we'd fall for the clickbait. ....
Then we wouldn't get to call him Batguano.
__________________
Remember, pillage before burning.
  #44  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 AM
Aquadementia Aquadementia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,808
Satanic lunch lady insists students say grace before letting them have their tray would have been funnier.
  #45  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Balance Balance is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
There's definitely a lack of rousing atheist hymns.
How about this one? (I think that's my favorite performance of it, too.)
  #46  
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Zeke N. Destroi Zeke N. Destroi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not A Real Country
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Like, "logic", and "reason", and "science", and "evidence"?
Logic - like the logic that led to the entrenched belief in spontaneous genesis for a thousand or so years?

Reason - The kind of reason that results in unbalanced humours as a disease model and rejection of germ theory? Or an elephant skull being proof of cyclops?

Science - ever heard of eugenics? Thalidomyde? The opiod crisis? Yeah, science is infallible. How about the notion that sugar is harmless and it is saturated fat that is the problem?

Evidence - What concrete, demonstrable evidence do you have against the existence of a God? I'm not asking for philosophical evidence but hard scientific evidence?

What atheists don't get is that they are just as fucked in the head as theists. Neither side can actually KNOW they are right they can only believe. And belief is nothing but faith. Each has their own irrefutable - to them - proof of their side's righteousness but in the end both sides are shooting blanks.

Proselytizing atheists are even more irritating than proselytizing God-botherers because of their unfounded fucking smugness.

Remember freedom of religion means freedom from religion - even if your religion is atheism.
__________________
Zeke
  #47  
Old 04-22-2018, 11:04 AM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,008
Bollocks. Faith is believing in something despite a lack of evidence. Atheism is pretty much the opposite of that; a lack of belief in something because of the lack of evidence.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #48  
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Zeke N. Destroi Zeke N. Destroi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not A Real Country
Posts: 1,057
Bollocks back ya fuck. Provide proof of the non-existence of God. Hard, scientific proof.

You can't can you you fucking twat. Ya can't because it can't be done - no different than asking for proof of the existence of a god. Atheists have faith that there is no god. Theists have faith that there is. The difference is that theists have the integrity to call it faith.
__________________
Zeke
  #49  
Old 04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
Bollocks back ya fuck. Provide proof of the non-existence of God. Hard, scientific proof.

You can't can you you fucking twat. Ya can't because it can't be done - no different than asking for proof of the existence of a god. Atheists have faith that there is no god. Theists have faith that there is. The difference is that theists have the integrity to call it faith.
You can't prove a non-existence of a non-corporeal entity. You make the claim God exists, it's on you to provide the proof.
  #50  
Old 04-22-2018, 11:18 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
Bollocks back ya fuck. Provide proof of the non-existence of God. Hard, scientific proof.

You can't can you you fucking twat. Ya can't because it can't be done - no different than asking for proof of the existence of a god. Atheists have faith that there is no god. Theists have faith that there is. The difference is that theists have the integrity to call it faith.
I would explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand "Hard, scientific proof" if it stuck its dick in your ear and fuck-started your brain.

Now, fuck off. Imbecile.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 04-22-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017