Old 04-22-2018, 04:50 AM

Excessive posting

Some Dopers post 15 or more times a day, averaging 10 or more a day and often with negligible contribution/participation, IMO. I found a pertinent recent thread, but it's in the Pit and, unsurprisingly, it quickly degenerates into picking on a particular poster. Maybe we can just talk about stats, without singling anyone out.

The only mention I've seen in the sticky posts is this:

Quote:
5. Some users have personal agendas they post about obsessively. This isn't trolling, but it can get out of hand. We reserve the right to tell such people to dial back or stop posting on a particular subject. However, we don't feel obliged to do so. It's OK to call attention to an obsessive poster on ATMB, but we'll be the judge of whether action is warranted.
It's not that hard to avoid reading posters who have to make everything about themselves and/or insist on irrelevantly weaving the same personal circumstance into everything they post. While it's annoying and pathetic, a post or three of this kind every week is not that big a deal. However, even if someone stays on topic, 15 or more posts a day seems to be an unhealthy obsession that is not especially uncommon to see in people's online presence. I suggest adding something to the sticky posts to discourage this kind of behavior.

Just to be clear, I'll add that I understand that some people might use the board thearpeutically, as a means of dealing with some kind of setback, and that such "therapy" might go on for weeks or months, etc. But this is different. I spend more time out and about than on this board, and, in real life, people who exhibit this kind of behavior in public are eventually told to knock it off.

What say all of you?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Er, um, while itís nice to know you agree with this board policy, Iím a little confused. There already is a sticky note, which you quoted, so why would they need another?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

To be clear, the rule is just about excessive posting on a single subject. Some people happen to have more free time than others, and some people choose to spend a higher proportion of their free time on this board, and that's not something we're inclined to pass a rule against. Likewise, we're not inclined to moderate posts for quality, except in the most extreme cases.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:13 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerez View Post
The only mention I've seen in the sticky posts is this:
It's also in the Registration Agreement:

Quote:
Do not post the same or similar messages or threads to multiple forums; multiple threads on the same topic; or an excessive number of threads on any topic within a limited period of time.
As in other rules, it's a judgement call as to how much is "excessive." Posting 15 times a day in itself isn't against the rules, nor do I think we want to make it so. If people find it annoying, the Pit is available. Now if a poster tries to turn every thread they participate in into a discussion of their personal obsession, that can be more of a problem, since it derails discussion of the original topic of the thread.

Posting large numbers of threads per day can become a problem if threads by a single poster come to dominate the first page of a forum and bump threads by others down the page so they are less likely to get a response. In such cases we may also ask posters to pace themselves.

We deal with such things on a case by case basis. If the behavior of a particularly poster begins to be disruptive or seriously affect the participation of other posters in threads the mods would discuss the situation and decide what course to take. I wouldn't see a reason for an additional rule beyond what is already on the books.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

We deal with such things on a case by case basis.
Sometimes known as the "Reeder Rule."
Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM

OP - are you talking about the difference between post padding, for lack of a better term, and active participation?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:14 PM

This site is fairly low-traffic as sites go already. If everybody made less than 500 posts/started only 3 threads over the course of 4 years, the site would be dead.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM
born to be shunned

Post-whoring (excessive numbers of one line/word replies) have happened and been dealt with IIRC and the rest seems to have been handled pretty well case by case. Same basic thing with what I call the "one trick ponies" who see their favorite subject in every thread. Going just by posts-per-day though could be a little trickier. My PPD is currently 3.16 but this doesn't take into account I've been joined since 2007 and didn't have much to say the first 4-5 years and am sometimes away for a week or more. The reality is its probably more like 5-6 when I actually post. Going into this kind of detail to moderate would be a whole lot to ask from a volunteer force.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
OP - are you talking about the difference between post padding, for lack of a better term, and active participation?
Post padding isn't as much of a problem as it was in the early days of the board, when "post-parties" to celebrate reaching milestones were so frequent they ended up being banned. Back when the most prolific posters only had 10,000 posts, it might seem possible to catch them. Now with some posters over 70,000 posts it's clearly impossible become a leader in any reasonable length of time. Since we don't have different titles for increasing numbers of posts, there's little incentive to post just to get your numbers up.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-22-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
[snip] I spend more time out and about than on this board, and, in real life, people who exhibit this kind of behavior in public are eventually told to knock it off.
What does this mean? People who post a lot aren't "in public". Do you mean people who talk a lot in public? or talk a lot about themselves in public? I know several people like that and have never heard any of them get told "to knock it off." Mostly those kinds of behaviors may drive people away (or not) but they don't actually get called out for it. Maybe in grade school? I just don't get your point.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Mods, thanks for the clear and concise explanations and thanks to everyone else for the responses. I missed the mention in the registration agreement. Wouldn't it make sense to add that to the Etiquette sticky?

Quote:
Sunny Daze:
Contributions that amount to a drive-by and tossing a comment or a turd into the conversation.

Quote:
kayT
What does this mean? People who post a lot aren't "in public". Do you mean people who talk a lot in public? or talk a lot about themselves in public? I know several people like that and have never heard any of them get told "to knock it off." Mostly those kinds of behaviors may drive people away (or not) but they don't actually get called out for it. Maybe in grade school? I just don't get your point.
It's okay, you don't have to get it (but see preceding reply). I'd like to see posters express an opinion on the subject, and you've already participated, so thanks.

Quote:
Colibri
Post padding isn't as much of a problem as it was in the early days of the board, when "post-parties" to celebrate reaching milestones were so frequent they ended up being banned. Back when the most prolific posters only had 10,000 posts, it might seem possible to catch them. Now with some posters over 70,000 posts it's clearly impossible become a leader in any reasonable length of time. Since we don't have different titles for increasing numbers of posts, there's little incentive to post just to get your numbers up.
I didn't know that was a thing.

Quote:
kopek
Going just by posts-per-day though could be a little trickier.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting setting a limit. Just hoping to see some (more) opinions on the subject.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
This site is fairly low-traffic as sites go already. If everybody made less than 500 posts/started only 3 threads over the course of 4 years, the site would be dead.
This. Unless someone is making a lot of pointless or offensive posts, I welcome more content.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:39 PM

In my case I'm bored and, as a giving person, I wish to share my boredom.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM

I have nothing important to add here.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 PM

+1
Old 04-22-2018, 06:07 PM

This.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:32 PM

Old 04-22-2018, 06:40 PM

nm

Last edited by Walken After Midnight; 04-22-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
This. Unless someone is making a lot of pointless or offensive posts, I welcome more content.
I agree. I rarely have a problem with frequent posters. It's the obsessive thread-starters that irk me. Threads are the fundamental way the information on a board is organized and they should have at least some minimal merit. If someone starts a thread about every random brain fart they happen to have, it becomes disruptive. The posters who don't even come back to their own vast outpouring of threads are especially annoying.

We also tend to get near-duplicates on some of the larger issues. If there's a thread about "X happened", do we really need threads on "My opinion about X", "Will X turn out to be good or bad?", and "Kim Kardashian speaks out about X"? I guess I'm just a thread minimalist. Or maybe an organizational obsessive. But postings, meh, I say go nuts if you enjoy it!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Eh, I don't post 15 times a day, but... MB like these are like 90% of my social outlet. I don't like the idea of putting a cap on how much people can post.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 PM

Sometimes the thermostat doesn't give a very accurate reading. That's just how it goes.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 PM

I'd like water better if it wasn't so wet.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I'd like snow better if it wasn't so cold.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:41 PM

I don’t really have any thoughts, but wanted to see my comments posted.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 AM

If the OP has someone specific in mind, could they start a Pit thread or link to the one they mentioned? It's hard to judge this without context.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM
born to be shunned

And also featuring Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Thread

We needed something Python-esque
Old 04-23-2018, 10:25 AM

Posting just to subscribe to this thread.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post

Albatross!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Do you get wafers with it?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I have nothing important to add here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
Sometimes the thermostat doesn't give a very accurate reading. That's just how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I'd like water better if it wasn't so wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I'd like snow better if it wasn't so cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
I donít really have any thoughts, but wanted to see my comments posted.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Posting just to subscribe to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Albatross!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
The SDMB: Running a joke into the ground since 1999!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:04 AM

And...loving it!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
QFT
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Some Dopers post 15 or more times a day, averaging 10 or more a day and often with negligible contribution/participation, IMO.

What say all of you?
Well, since you asked, I have to say I think that you taking the time and effort to sand through this entire site to count up people's posts is more unsettling to me than someone who happens to post 15 times in the course of a day. If you are looking for "obsessive", you might try looking closer to home.

I'm here at work for 8 1/2 hours a day. Fifteen posts is TWO POSTS PER HOUR. That is obsessive and disturbing? Really?! WHY?!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Some Dopers post 15 or more times a day, averaging 10 or more a day and often with negligible contribution/participation, IMO.
Sorry, Iíll try to do better.

Stranger
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM

My posts-per-day is 4.32, but that's spread over 18 years and several suspensions and "vacations" from the board. I don't know how to tune the search for a shorter time slice.

And looking up the PPDs for multiple members seems a little stalky.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sunny Daze
If the OP has someone specific in mind, could they start a Pit thread or link to the one they mentioned? It's hard to judge this without context
I'd rather not because, as I said in the OP:
unsurprisingly, it quickly degenerates into picking on a particular poster. Maybe we can just talk about stats, without singling anyone out.

Quote:
Jasmine:
Well, since you asked, I have to say I think that you taking the time and effort to sand through this entire site to count up people's posts
I looked at one person's total on the day I posted and the total on the preceding day in order to, you know, avoid jumping to conclusions.

Quote:
dropzone
See preceding reply.

Thanks to all who've responded.

Last edited by jerez; 04-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
'Course you don't get bloody wafers with it. Albatross!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 PM

What kept you?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Are volleyballs related to basketballs?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Hi Opal!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:10 PM
SDSAB

3. Profit!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:20 PM

I post sporadically, generally when I’m high. Am I posting too much guys?

I feel l’m posting to much here on the SD, please let me know if I’m getting annoying and I’ll just roll on over to that long necked place, where I also only post every 4-5months but if it’s getting too much let me know and I’ll post way less.

Sorry in advance if I’ve pissed anyone off.

Last edited by Teddie; 04-23-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:44 PM

When the board first started there was a poster called "handy" (he was deaf and used sign language)that had 10k posts in 2 or 3 years ........ he was banned right after I left ... but if you can still read his posts and get the best illustration of over postin

Theres a certain newish poster that some people seem to have a problem with to the point of it getting nasty.......sometime she has useful contributions and well sometimes she just posts what pops in her head ......

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-23-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

OK ----- someone has to say it

It's taking longer than I expected.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Albatross!
Anaconda!

(Thatís more Python-esque than albatross)
Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 AM
Elephant Whisperer

[Heart] Aren't you, Barracuda? [/Heart]
Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

You're a bunch of fucken wimps. Why not name beckdawreck if you're going to make a specific post about her and her posting proclivities?

She's fine. She posts a lot of pedestrian stuff, but she's fine all the same. All of you holier than bloody thou 'old timers' who think it's not quite kosher to post so much need to get your fucken arses out of the chair and start posting MORE.

Unless you just want to sit in your chairs and waggle your walking stick at beck.

God, this place shits me sometimes. I love it, but it still shits me.

Go back to your regular TV programs now, shitheads.

Last edited by kambuckta; 04-24-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
You're a bunch of fucken wimps. Why not name beckdawreck if you're going to make a specific post about her and her posting proclivities?
The OP intentionally did not single anyone out.

Attacking individual posters is not allowed in ATMB. Do not do this again. If you have a problem with a particular user, take it to the Pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Go back to your regular TV programs now, shitheads.
Insults are not allowed in ATMB. This is not the Pit. Treat all other SDMB users with respect while you are in this forum.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
My posts-per-day is 4.32, but that's spread over 18 years and several suspensions and "vacations" from the board. I don't know how to tune the search for a shorter time slice.

If you search for "all posts by this user" you can see in what time frame your most recent 500 posts have been. For me, they've been between 3/15 and today, giving me a recent average ppd of 12.5. my overall statistics are 4.28 per day since 2012.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
If you search for "all posts by this user" you can see in what time frame your most recent 500 posts have been. For me, they've been between 3/15 and today, giving me a recent average ppd of 12.5. my overall statistics are 4.28 per day since 2012.

Let's go down to the fondue and throw in some cheese! Naaa, just kidding buddy, that's good enough for 2nd place.