Old 04-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Is Autism caused by Tylenol?

According to Dr. John Gray (the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus guy), Cuba has the same kind of Immunization schedule for children as the US, yet has a low incidence of Autism due to one vital difference...cuban children are not given a dose of tylenol to alleviate the fever from the immunization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZcSJyGrd-s
Begin at time index 2:07:40
Old 04-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

ISTM that saying the only differnce between Cubans and Americans is that they don't take tylenol to break immunization induced fevers and that's why they don't have as many Autistic kids as the US, has at least one false premise, at least one incorrect assumption and at least one giant leap in logic.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
According to Dr. John Gray (the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus guy), Cuba has the same kind of Immunization schedule for children as the US, yet has a low incidence of Autism due to one vital difference...cuban children are not given a dose of tylenol to alleviate the fever from the immunization.
Is that the only difference between Cuban children and children in the US?

VACCINES DON'T CAUSE AUTISM.

New Meta-analysis Confirms: No Association between Vaccines and Autism

Quote:
A meta-analysis of ten studies involving more than 1.2 million children reaffirms that vaccines don’t cause autism. If anything, immunization was associated with decreased risk that children would develop autism, a possibility that’s strongest with the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 PM

Not the vaccine...the tylenol to stop the fever.

Apparently, you got to let the body cook that virus out of the system...it is a vital procedure that needs to be seen through to the end, naturally.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:38 PM

Researchers have found evidence that it's already detectable in the womb, so probably not due to giving the baby Tylenol.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:42 PM

Is there a higher rate of autism with certain races; are white children in the U.S. disproportionately representative of the autistic population? How do they stack up compared to Hispanic children in the U.S.?
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
Researchers have found evidence that it's already detectable in the womb, so probably not due to giving the baby Tylenol.
Everything I have ever read about diagnosing autism says that there is no medical test for it and that it's diagnosed based on behavior. How does that work in the womb?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Everything I have ever read about diagnosing autism says that there is no medical test for it and that it's diagnosed based on behavior. How does that work in the womb?
It's obviously not fully understood, but lots of data is emerging showing that the issues probably start in the womb.

Postmortem brain tissue analysis showing incorrect brain development in some areas.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/274655.php

Here's another showing connection to amniotic fluid:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-in-the-womb
"Boys diagnosed with autism and related disorders had, on average, raised levels of testosterone, cortisol and other hormones in the womb, according to analyses of amniotic fluid that was stored after their mothers had medical tests during pregnancy."

Here's another with brain scans showing differences:
https://www.nature.com/news/brain-sc...babies-1.21484
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:

Apparently, you got to let the body cook that virus out of the system...it is a vital procedure that needs to be seen through to the end, naturally.
No.
The point is: getting vaccinated (the whole process, including any Tylenol) doesn't cause autism. So, the Tylenol connection is BS.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Speaking as a PhD biologist and medical geneticist, this is complete and utter horseshit.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Is there a higher rate of autism with certain races; are white children in the U.S. disproportionately representative of the autistic population? How do they stack up compared to Hispanic children in the U.S.?
Until about the year 2000, it seemed that ADHD only occurred in white children from low-income families.

Children, and adults too, have to present for evaluation before they can be diagnosed.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Everyone wants an in-depth debunking. They're fun to read and fun to write. Everyone wants someone to go up the ass of some false claim, or system of false claims, to ferret out exactly how the whole thing falls down.

What's more, people seem to assume that there's some nugget of truth there, a gem hidden away in the mountain of shit. People seem resistant to the idea that something which looks like pure shit could be pure shit.

Well, this is pure shit. There's nothing there: It's a statement so divorced from reality the only proper response is to say that it is completely wrong.

It is completely wrong. There is nothing else to say about that statement.

As for the broader claim, the existing research debunks it as well: If two things, such as getting a shot and getting Tylenol, always or almost always occur together, the statement that some other thing doesn't correlate with one of those things, such as getting a shot, means it also doesn't correlate with the other thing, such as getting Tylenol. That follows directly from the definition of correlation.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Until about the year 2000, it seemed that ADHD only occurred in white children from low-income families.

Children, and adults too, have to present for evaluation before they can be diagnosed.
p.s. The answer to the OP's question is NO.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

I'm kinda confused by your post. I asked the question to bring up the possibility that the rates of autism in the U.S. are higher than in Cuba due to more white people living in the U.S. Obviosly this is idle speculation.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:55 PM

Here is an article on the prevalence of autism by race. This one states that it's more prevalent among whites than other ethnic groups, but that there no known genetic reason for this to be true.

This article states that maternal nativity plays a role in diagnosis.

Latino children are more often diagnosed than other blacks, but it's not clear why US latinos are diagnosed less frequently.

Quote:
What’s Known on the issue of Tylenol:

Autism prevalence is reported to be highest among non-Hispanic white children, lower in Hispanic and African American/black children, and highly variable in Asian/Pacific Islanders. More comorbid intellectual disability and delays in expressive language have been observed among Hispanic and African American children.

What This Study Adds:

Maternal nativity is a risk factor for childhood autism in US populations. We observed higher risk of severe autism phenotypes in children of foreign-born black, Central/South American, Filipino, and Vietnamese mothers and US-born African Americans and Hispanics compared with US-born whites.
Third article, shows that

Quote:
fewer children with ASD vs. non-ASD children use acetaminophen as a “first choice” compared to “never use” (OR 0.165, 95% CI 0.045, 0.599). We found significantly more children with ASD vs. non- ASD children change to the use of ibuprofen when acetaminophen is not effective at reducing fever (p = 0.033) and theorize this change in use is due to endocannabinoid system dysfunction.
Tylenol is not the issue. NSAIDs probably aren't either. Don't read self-help gurus for medical advice.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
By that reasoning, any immunization which doesn't produce a fever wouldn't work; this would include both induced immunization (vaccines) and those due to encountering the bug in the wild.

The fever is one of many symptoms of the immune system going on overdrive (i.e., the immunization is working); it is not the only one, nor is it the mechanism by which the bugs are being killed. Giving antipyretics to feverish patients does not prolong the illness; giving them to someone who's been vaccinated does not cause a secondary effect which they wouldn't cause if the reason for the fever was a random bug instead of an injected one.

Re. the original question, to obtain a correlation, one needs more than two points; or rather, two points can always be forced into a perfect correlation. There's almost 200 countries in the world, dude picked only two and then grabbed one of hundreds of differences between the two to blame for autism. Why not blame capitalism vs communism, free market vs directed economy, obesity epidemic vs limited diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I'm kinda confused by your post. I asked the question to bring up the possibility that the rates of autism in the U.S. are higher than in Cuba due to more white people living in the U.S. Obviosly this is idle speculation.
Is there? More white people in the US, I mean. Is this Cuban-American white or Hispanic?

Last edited by Nava; 04-23-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

There are physicians who give acetaminophen to small children?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:54 AM

In baby doses, yes. It's been the antipyretic of choice for decades, pretty much since aspirin got a bad rap.

Last edited by Nava; 04-23-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Thank God they don't use Tylenol! But would paracetamol be safe? The world may never know.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Is there? More white people in the US, I mean. Is this Cuban-American white or Hispanic?
Are there more white people in The U.S. than in Cuba? Of course. There are more people of pretty much every race/diversity in the U.S. than in Cuba. It almost seems like you are trying to twist my post into some racism-tinged thing. It's not disputed that black people run a higher risk of sickle-cell anemia in the U.S. (or at least it wasn't last time I heard anything), for example. I wondering if white people (with no or negligible Cuban heritage) had statistically higher incidence of autism per capita than native born Cuban people.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 AM

No, I'm asking if there really is a greater proportion of Caucasians in the US than in Cuba. I know there's more Caucasians in absolute numbers (there's more about anything in absolute numbers), but a large amount of Cubans are as Caucasian as Diaz, and incidence of illness values are always given as ratios. The US has more white people than Andorra in absolute values, but a lower amount in relative values.

Last edited by Nava; 04-23-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
No, I'm asking if there really is a greater proportion of Caucasians in the US than in Cuba. I know there's more Caucasians in absolute numbers (there's more about anything in absolute numbers), but a large amount of Cubans are as Caucasian as Diaz, and incidence of illness values are always given as ratios. The US has more white people than Andorra in absolute values, but a lower amount in relative values.
Oh, well I don't have any answers there. My original question wasn't anything well-thought out or researched. I was speculating on possible explanations for the discrepancy in autism rates between the U.S. and Cuba other than the obviously bunk tylenol theory.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 AM

the only thing I've heard which has been considered a credible correlation to the incidence of autism is the age of the father. older father? higher risk of an autistic child.

but nobody wants to believe they may be the cause. need something else to blame.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:05 AM

There has been a lot of proper research into the causes and prevalence of Autism spectrum disorders. If you want to know more, you have a lot of reading to do:

Quote:
Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are a collection of chronic, complex neuropsychiatric diseases with well-characterized comorbidities and increasing apparent prevalence [1]. With few and limited effective treatments and considerable financial burden, its etiology remains a scientific puzzle. Evidence suggests that autism is highly heritable and clustered within families; consequently, much scientific attention has been dedicated to the discovery of predisposing genetic factors [2]–[7]. There is also evidence for environmental influences, such as prenatal exposure to pesticides or valproate, but it is challenging to account systematically for these factors because they are mostly undocumented. In addition, there are numerous factors that could affect or distort the observed variation in temporal and spatial disease prevalence: evolving diagnostic criteria, socioeconomic, legal, and cultural incentives for diagnosis [8], changing environmental exposures, and the accumulation of genetic burden in the growing human population. However, the relative importance of all these putative causal factors and confounders on ASD prevalence, the nature of interactions between contributing factors, and the underlying biological mechanisms, remain unclear.

http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbio...l.pcbi.1003518
Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is pretty much standard here in the US from my experience with two small children, yes. You have both infants and children’s Tylenol at your local drug store.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 AM

I've always wondered whether assorted brain disorders - autism, Parkinsons, Alzheimers to name some - are caused by (or triggered by) a minor infection of a low-incidence virus.

I remember reading about some mothers claiming their autistic child had seemed to be developing just fine; then turned a corner and started to go downhill to become almost non-responsive. That sounds like a disease, not a genetic condition, especially the random onset to random victims. Similarly, Alzheimers as I understand is roughly the same symptoms as late stage syphilis.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why is this shocking to you?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

An apparent sudden onset is perfectly reasonable, given the nature of the disease and the age at which it manifests. No newborn baby has any social skills-- They usually develop them at some age. You're not going to be able to detect a lack of social skills until they reach that age. Add in a pinch of denial on the part of the parents ("Oh, he'll be fine, he's just a bit of a late bloomer"), and it's going to look even more sudden, when it gets so bad that the parents can't just ignore it any more.

And, heck, I'm still amazed that any doctors still give Tylenol to adults. That stuff would never get through the modern FDA approval process.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 AM

This is beside the point, but I have never heard of Tylenol being given automatically after a vaccine. Generally, the pediatrician advises that it’s okay to give the child some Tylenol only if they have a fever above 102 degrees.

My son had all his shots, and he only ever got a fever high enough to give them Tylenol once.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:03 AM

As for the supposed beneficial effects of fever, here's a study indicating that increased autism incidence is linked to febrile episodes in pregnancy.

C'mon people, we all know the real reason for reported increases in autism incidence.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In baby doses, yes. It's been the antipyretic of choice for decades, pretty much since aspirin got a bad rap.
Said "bad rap" being its implication in Reye's Syndrome?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
According to Dr. John Gray (the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus guy),
Stop right there.
John Gray is not a doctor of any kind. All his post-secondary "education" is from pay-for-degree scam artists such the Maharishi University.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Stop right there.
John Gray is not a doctor of any kind. All his post-secondary "education" is from pay-for-degree scam artists such the Maharishi University.
Holy moly, he has a PhD via a correspondence school that is now defunct! Damnnnn.... dunno if I'd go around saying I was a Dr like that. Maybe throw Ph.D. at the end of my title, but no Dr. for me.

Problem about multi-spectral is that it's multi-spectral, so how do we know if Cuba has the same criteria as the US or any other country for that matter in regards to diagnosing autism? I wonder, what severity? Is there more "low-level" or "high-level" autism in the US compared to Cuba? Also, when was the autism diagnosed, early on in life or later on in life? I ask as Cuba probably has social healthcare so, even though it might not be as advanced as the US, the basic of preventative medicine will be available. Which might mitigate early on autism.

Dunno.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Yes. "White only" is about 72% in the US census. For Cuba it's 64%, with mulatto or mestizo listed as 26.6% and black 9.3%. Most people considered mulattoes in Cuba would probably simply be considered black in the US.

With the notable exceptions of Argentina and Uruguay, almost all Latin American countries have a lower percentage of whites in the population than the US.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-23-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:

Tylenol? Sure, why not?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Your whole point is riddled with assumptions.

1) Autism is directly connected to vaccinations, therefore anything having to do with the vaccination process, in this case Tylenol, must be the problem.

2) You have to "cook" the virus out of your body, but the Tylenol prevents this process (supposedly), so Tylenol is the culprit. I have had numerous viruses in my life and have almost never run a fever. I have gotten rid of all the viruses successfully without having to "cook" the virus out of my system.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skara_Brae View Post
This is beside the point, but I have never heard of Tylenol being given automatically after a vaccine. Generally, the pediatrician advises that it’s okay to give the child some Tylenol only if they have a fever above 102 degrees.

My son had all his shots, and he only ever got a fever high enough to give them Tylenol once.
This matches my experience as a parent as well.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, neither of our kids ever got a fever after any of their vaccines. But they’ve otherwise had fevers when ill at least a dozen times, and those were pretty much exclusively treated with acetaminophen, and in a couple of cases, with alternating doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

Last edited by pulykamell; 04-23-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Said "bad rap" being its implication in Reye's Syndrome?
My understanding is that that's exactly why aspirin is now rarely, if ever, advised for use by children (in the U.S., anyway).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-23-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

My WAG is that the lower level autism, which is the most common, is mostly detected by more affluent families. Which, in the uSA, tend more to be white.

Borderline Autism is not detected much in third world nations.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:48 PM

In my unscientific opinion, Tylenol DOES NOT cause autism. Hypothetically though, I’m confused about the premise here. Is it supposedly only from Tylenol given after a vaccination or just giving a child Tylenol in general? In any event no, just plain no.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
In my unscientific opinion, Tylenol DOES NOT cause autism. Hypothetically though, I’m confused about the premise here. Is it supposedly only from Tylenol given after a vaccination or just giving a child Tylenol in general? In any event no, just plain no.
I curious as to the tin-foil-hat reason why Tylenol in combination with a vaccine has such alleged effects; but Tylenol in combination with an actual viral infection does not.

However, I'm not so curious as to subject myself to the Youtube video.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I curious as to the tin-foil-hat reason why Tylenol in combination with a vaccine has such alleged effects; but Tylenol in combination with an actual viral infection does not.

However, I'm not so curious as to subject myself to the Youtube video.
it's not borne from any legitimate effects or side effects of Tylenol. it's just people steadfastly refusing to accept reality. it's like "Ok, if vaccines don't cause autism, maybe it's this thing done after vaccination then! No? Well, maybe it's this other thing done sometime after vaccination then." Ad nauseum.

"I want to believe" is not just the tagline for a '90s sci-fi TV show.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Let's look at the big picture here. Let's suppose that there is SOMETHING that causes autism (as opposed to it being a genetic disease that there's nothing you can do about). Now ask yourself if eventually someone will figure out what the something is that's causing autism (as opposed to the idea that maybe we will never figure it out). Now ask yourself who that person will be that makes that amazing discovery.

Do you think it will be the guy who wrote the book Men Are from Mars Women Are from Venus?
Do you think it will be a kindergarten teacher from Ohio?
Do you think it will be Miam Bialik?
Do you think it will be you?

I'm willing to bet long odds it won't be any of those four people.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
it's not borne from any legitimate effects or side effects of Tylenol. it's just people steadfastly refusing to accept reality. it's like "Ok, if vaccines don't cause autism, maybe it's this thing done after vaccination then! No? Well, maybe it's this other thing done sometime after vaccination then." Ad nauseum.

"I want to believe" is not just the tagline for a '90s sci-fi TV show.
Yes, I understand that 100%. That was not the question I was asking in my post.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
According to Dr. John Gray (the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus guy)...
Found your problem!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaftPeople View Post
It's obviously not fully understood, but lots of data is emerging showing that the issues probably start in the womb.

Postmortem brain tissue analysis showing incorrect brain development in some areas.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/274655.php

Here's another showing connection to amniotic fluid:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...es-in-the-womb
"Boys diagnosed with autism and related disorders had, on average, raised levels of testosterone, cortisol and other hormones in the womb, according to analyses of amniotic fluid that was stored after their mothers had medical tests during pregnancy."

Here's another with brain scans showing differences:
https://www.nature.com/news/brain-sc...babies-1.21484
Good sources!

Seems people are in various states of denial that autism is probably not caused by things such as vaccines and other medicines, but rather, genetics increasing the potential for autism to be expressed later in development and in-utero conditions. As with many other human conditions.

Personally, I blame Canada.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Once again, if it is true that there are no medical tests that can diagnose autism, then how can any scans or anything else detect the presence of autism in utero? And if there are in fact medical tests to diagnose autism, why do so many doctors and hospitals insist there are not?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM

There are known differences associated with autism but we are not yet at the point where we can administer a test and know for certain. In other words, each of those tests showed differences, post-mortem or otherwise, but the puzzle isn't complete yet.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
As for the supposed beneficial effects of fever, here's a study indicating that increased autism incidence is linked to febrile episodes in pregnancy.

C'mon people, we all know the real reason for reported increases in autism incidence.
Organic food, bah, that's just a case of correlation, not causation. The real reason is the rise of cell phones AND SUVs . That's REAL causation.

Okay, no actual studies. Author charlton is a quack. Internet/Facebook/Twitter theories (and your crazy uncle/cousin/dad) are not reliable sources for "sciency" stuff.