Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 PM

What's the worst movie you saw that you ended up liking anyway, or at least had fun watching it?

This is a spinoff of the "worst movie you ever saw" thread.

The first one that comes to mind for me is a forgettable comedy that came in in the early 1990s called "Splitting Heirs". It co-starred Rick Moranis and was totally panned by critics; I went with a classmate, who like me was an art movie aficionado, after finals were over because we wanted to see something mindless, and even though we figured out all the plot twists way ahead of time, LMAO'd all the way through it.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 PM

p.s. If this is how you feel about "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", it's OK to say so.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Flash Gordon. It's pretty much objectively awful in every way, and I don't normally like any movie that's "so bad it's good". But this movie, I like.

Last edited by galen ubal; 04-23-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 PM

"The Manitou" One or two nifty special effects, one super disgusting one, and a bunch of (at the time) name actors who had no idea what they were doing. A total mess; loads of fun.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 PM

Pacific Rim. I'm not sure if it's a great movie cheesily done or a cheesy movie done greatly. Fighting Power Ranger transformering robots against dinosaur Godzillas bashing each other's heads in with ocean liners and whole subway trains? How could that be anything but terrible? How could that not be great?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 PM

"But I'm a Cheerleader" -- This movie was very poorly made; filled with stale jokes, trite cliches, and obvious "twists"; and for the most part seemed particularly smug and self-satisfied with itself. But I have to admit that the ending won me over.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 PM

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, with John Carradine and Virginia "Mrs Olsen" Christine. One of the great steaming turds of all time!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:45 PM

Congo was a pretty stupid movie, but I thought Tim Curry and Ernie Hudson were funny. Furthermore, I think all movies should end with the heroes shooting gorillas with a laser made out of a giant diamond.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
"The Manitou" One or two nifty special effects, one super disgusting one, and a bunch of (at the time) name actors who had no idea what they were doing. A total mess; loads of fun.
Okay, this is weird, because this is the one I was going to say too. I didn't think many people had ever heard of/seen it. But I love it! It's so terrible, but I Tony Curtis's character is great.

Honorable Mention: "Xanadu."

Last edited by Infovore; 04-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Nothing But Trouble.

For some reason North is considered one of the worst movies ever, especially by Roger Ebert. But I really enjoyed it. I just understood the comedy level it was going for and thought it nailed it.

Similarly I knew what they were going for with Mortdecai, which was Johnny Depp trying to make a Terry Thomas movie, and all it needed was an Editor that understood comic timing to make it work. Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't seem to have any such Editors anymore. But I liked it anyway.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:14 AM

Going by IMDB, my favorite movie with a terrible rating is Furry Vengeance. Seeing Brendan Fraser abused by cute animals is great even if the plot is bad.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Flash Gordon. It's pretty much objectively awful in every way, and I don't normally like any movie that's "so bad it's good". But this movie, I like.
I love flash gordon. I love The bad acting. I love The stupid plot. I love The terribly confusing physics. I love Brian Blessed. And of course, I love the soundtrack!

Fun fact: hans zarkhov's assistant Munson is also porkins in star wars and the top...men guy in raiders.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 04-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:37 AM

I took my grand son to see 'Wreck it Ralph' It was really cute.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 AM

Well, from the other thread, I like Joe Versus the Volcano.

And also Meet the Feebles. It's kind of like the original Muppet Show, the backstage antics of a theatrical troupe of puppets; except that if they weren't puppets this movie would get a hard X rating. The emcee is dying of every sexually-transmitted disease in existence. The knife thrower is strung out on heroin to suppress his flashbacks of 'Nam, and the diva goes on a killing rampage with a machine gun. I don't usually go for graphic humor if it's just done for shock value, but there's something about the combination of the utterly profane and puppets that just makes me laugh.

And it was made by Peter Jackson, who went on to do The Lord of the Rings.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

I just watched one on Amazon the other day called "Killer Donuts" (or something like that). Anyway, it's about these donuts that come to life and eat people. So horrible, but damn, I couldn't stop laughing.

Also, the only reason I know Hudsucker Proxy is an awesome movie, is because I was too lazy to get up and change the channel when it happened to come on my TV.

And they say laziness doesn't pay off.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Wreck it Ralph is factually a great film and does not belong on this list of stupid movies you end up liking.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 AM

What? You're kidding me. It wasn't very popular in the kiddie set. There is hardly any merch. I looked for tee-shirts or pjs for the boys with wreck it Ralph. No luck. YMMV.
ETA as the OP asked, I ended up liking it!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 04-24-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What? You're kidding me. It wasn't very popular in the kiddie set. There is hardly any merch. I looked for tee-shirts or pjs for the boys with wreck it Ralph. No luck. YMMV.
There was something screwy going on with this movie. I think I had to wait like three years just to be able to rent this movie.

I think they may have had some issues with licensing or something. (My WAG)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:44 AM

A legitimately terrible movie that I have a bit of a soft spot for - Wild Wild West. Yes, it is made of dumb, with dumb filling and dumb on top, but it has Will Smith and Kevin Kline in it, so how bad can it be really?

Probably didn't pay for any particularly nice houses though...
Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 AM

Nothing can touch Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There was merchandise all over the place when it came out (and still easily found on Amazon and Walmart). Clothes, backpacks, funko pops, action figures. 14th-highest-grossing film of 2012, fourth-highest-grossing 2012 animated film, biggest opening for Disney Animation Studio up to that point, 7.7 on IMDb, 87% on RT, the critics loved it, and there’s a sequel coming out in November.

You may have been surprised to like it, meeting half of the OP’s criteria, but it does not belong in the category of “worst movies” unless you have a very strange definition of such.

Last edited by bobkitty; 04-24-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 AM

Maybe this is a movie that had a really stupid premise that didn't derserve to be as good as it ended up -

Battleship
Old 04-24-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
This is a good choice. What a great popcorn 80's movie that was.

In a similar vein, Clash Of The Titans from that same era is equally bad, and so are the Conan movies and The Beastmaster, but I liked them all.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM

Little Nicky. It doesn't have a great reputation, even for an Adam Sandler film, but I found a lot of it clever, and thought Sandler was very convincing as someone who genuinely has no experience with life on planet Earth.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
There was something screwy going on with this movie. I think I had to wait like three years just to be able to rent this movie.

They actually did make one or two Wreck It Ralph arcade video games. Pjnball Wizard in New Hampshire has one of them (not the better known Funspot, up on Lake Winnepesaukee). You'd think that they'd make more o them, or at least a home game version of it, since we're past the era of stand-up video games, supposedly.

In any case, I agree that Wreck it Ralph doesn't belong in a list of Bad Movies. It's undeniably a Good Movie, especially if you get all the gaming in-jokes.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post

In a similar vein, Clash Of The Titans from that same era is equally bad, and so are the Conan movies and The Beastmaster, but I liked them all.
YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! There is nothing bad about Marc Singer in a loincloth.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 AM

Suckerpunch is stupid as all hell and a terrible movie but it's very stylish and I can easily watch it as a guilty pleasure.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Paul Blart Mall Cop is better than anyone gives it credit for.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Nothing But Trouble.

For some reason North is considered one of the worst movies ever, especially by Roger Ebert. But I really enjoyed it. I just understood the comedy level it was going for and thought it nailed it.

Similarly I knew what they were going for with Mortdecai, which was Johnny Depp trying to make a Terry Thomas movie, and all it needed was an Editor that understood comic timing to make it work. Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't seem to have any such Editors anymore. But I liked it anyway.
I love Nothing But Trouble! It's so weird! And it randomly has Digital Underground for no real reason, including a very young Tupac sporting a Yankees jersey.

And on the other end of Johnny Depp's career, I'll nominate Nightmare on Elm Street. It's a horror classic, absolutely, but watching it today it's pretty bad. I still like it, but it was a low-budget mid-80s film and it really shows.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
This one is on my bucket list. I am given to understand it is an iconic 'terrible movie' but its cult following suggests there's a redemptive nugget of gold in there somewhere. I keep forgetting to give it the screen time, however.

I'll throw in another vote for Flash Gordon. My lady & I were watching Ted and they kept banging on about the movie, and she got curious. I hadn't seen it but warned her it was rumored to be truly awful. Going into it with that mindset, we really enjoyed it for all it's campiness--cheap sets & effects, campy acting, cheesy script--cinematic alchemy. Ted sucked, though.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Plan 9 from Outer Space spoiler:

SPOILER:
Aircraft pilots sitting on folding metal chairs, holding plates as steering wheels.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Ishtar. Far better than its reputation indicates, with some great comic scenes.

The Doberman Gang. People training dogs to rob a bank. Overall a charming caper film with a clever ending.

Twins with Danny Devito and Arnold Schwarzenegger as the title characters. A one-joke premise, of course, but overall pretty entertaining. Schwarzenegger was a pretty good comic actor throughout his career.

The Last Action Hero. Case in point. I'm a sucker for metafiction, and the movie reveled in it.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Ishtar for me. I was invited to the NYC premier. Lots of stars in attendance (I sat behind Bill Murray). Everyone had a blast.

Last edited by Procrustus; 04-24-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 AM

I have fun watching a lot of Bad Movies. For years I had a Bad Film Festival just to revel in the awfulness. as I've said elsewhere, I grew up on Plan Nine from Outer Space and Robot Monster and From Hell it Came and Caltiki, the Immortal Monster and the like.

But the one that I am surprised that I like is Starship Troopers. Never have I seen a movie so much at odds -- philosophically, thematically, intellectually, any other way you want -- with its ostensible source material. Heinlein's book is controversial, but it's not dumb, and I've lost count of how many times I've read it.

The movie may have started life as something else, but when they discovered they were duplicating Heinlein they didn't just slap different names on characters (as in I, Robot), but ty embraced the book, taking incidents from it and twisting it all out of shape.

Make no mistake, this is a dumb movie, even while it's being satirical and all. The military tactics are unbelievably insane -- sending lightly armored down onto planets literally swarming with organic killing machines, having the soldiers get in a complete circle around the "bugs" they fire on (not a chance of Friendly Fire there!), ignoring or forgetting the various "nonstandard" bug forms (flyers, bombardier bugs, fireball-shooting bugs) and wasting manpower as if people cost nothing. Not even paying lip service to basic physics -- a starship can nit notice a flying boulder until it almost hits it? And detects its presence by the gravitational pull of water in a freakin' CUP? Or The Bugs fire asteroids at earth from another star system and they travel at sublight speed through space? In the first place, that's outrageously accurate; in the second, this might be a problem about the time our sun goes cold. The movie is also pretty blasť about the source material, turning Sergeant Zim's lecture about the importance of knowing how to use all sorts of weapons (including a throwing knife) into a sadistic exercise, making Johnny Rico -- a Filipino, as it's revealed at the end of the book -- into a painfully Anglo character, and having Rico's home town Buenos Aires, when it's clear in the book that his mother was just visiting there. And Johnny looks pretty Anglo for an Argentinian, too.

But the film has gorgeous special effects, and its so lovingly dumb, I find it fascinating, despite all the stupidity and gore. It's hard to tel which there's more of. But I've watched it countless times. I've even seen all the sequels, animated and live action. Casper von Dien got a career boost out of it, appearing in a couple of these and producing the most recent.
It was then that he noticed that the Thing in the room with him consisted of a mass of hideously twisting tentacles and pseudopods, writhing in all directions, each of them an unworldly shade of green or yellow, with a nacreous glossy sheen.
---The Call of Chihuli
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Wreck-it-Ralph was not considered an objectively bad movie. It was well received and has positive critical reviews.

Quote:
The availability of "kiddie merch" hardly defines a good or bad movie. It's got an 87% on RT.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 04-24-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I go to a sci-fi film marathon every year and I get to watch a lot of terrible movies in a crowd, but they're supposed to be terrible (well, many of them) and the crowd yells at the screen so it's fun. I've seen Flash Gordon, Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Postman that way. Made them much more enjoyable. Last year we saw Deep Blue AND Superman IV. Holla!

I saw Sharknado and The Room as Rifftrax events. So those kinda don't count either.

One of the ultimate "worst movies ever" aside from The Room is Troll 2. I watched that this past winter, from my couch with no riffers around. Definitely a "so bad it's good" film!

I guess the worst movie I paid to see at a theater that did the worst at the box office and I didn't go just to laugh at it was Dudley Do-Right, starring Brendan Fraser. I enjoyed it and it was classic Bullwinkle humor!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Phantom of the Paradise

Phantom of the Opera meets The Picture of Dorian Grey by way of Faust.. Starring Paul Williams.

How could it be anything but awful? Directed by Brian De Palma, that's how!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:43 AM

^ Phoenix!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
It gets my vote too.

There's also a movie with Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd called Where the Heart Is that I happen to like a lot, which for some reason get 1 & 1/2 stars in the TV schedule. I have no idea why. I mean, it's not an Oscar-getter, but I'd easily give it three stars. I don't know why it gets panned, or people consider it on the level of Plan 9 and Robot Monster. By the way, I have a special spot for Robot Monster because it's in 3D.

Also, I tend to enjoy anything by William Castle.

Then, there is the cheesiest movie of all cheesy movies, which is so good in its own special way, I can barely contain myself when it comes on TV. I even spent money getting a DVD of it, which had to be specially made from a 16mm print, because it's to obscure a film to have been produced for DVD. It's called Two on a Guillotine. I think anymore, you can find the whole film online, because you can find most things online now. It's a whole lot of fun-- it's a haunted house movie from the 60s. It was probably a great drive-in movie.

I'll also own up to being a fan of The Manitou, speaking of drive-ins. That's where I originally saw this one. Great movie for a drive-in.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Jays Fan

"Happy Gilmore" isn't really much of a movie but I adore it.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brainsmasher...A Love Story, starring Andrew "Dice" Clay and Teri Hatcher, featuring Portland night life and killer Chinese monks that keep insisting throughout the film that "We are not ninjas!".
With this description do I have to talk about how bad it is? But between the primo soundtrack, the fast pace and the humor it just hits the spot, in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
This is a spinoff of the "worst movie you ever saw" thread.

The first one that comes to mind for me is a forgettable comedy that came in in the early 1990s called "Splitting Heirs". It co-starred Rick Moranis and was totally panned by critics; I went with a classmate, who like me was an art movie aficionado, after finals were over because we wanted to see something mindless, and even though we figured out all the plot twists way ahead of time, LMAO'd all the way through it.
Almost no one liked the movie and I only saw it on a long flight, but I really enjoyed Battle: Los Angeles. As long as I was able to suspend my disbelief over the whole water thing and my general issue with any sort of aliens coming from another star invading and fighting us in regular battle, I thought it was actually...well, not bad. I enjoyed it anyway.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:43 AM
born to be shunned

Cabin Boy (1994) --- it took time but it grew on me; kinda like a fungus.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Cabin Boy (1994) --- it took time but it grew on me; kinda like a fungus.
Earl Hofert should have had the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:51 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Iím going to go with Gargoyles. Not the animated series and home for wayward Star Trek alumni. The cheesy made for TV movie starring Cornel Wilde and Bernie Casey in gargoyle make up. A true classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

There is a sequel coming out soon so there couldnít be that many issues.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Maybe this is a movie that had a really stupid premise that didn't derserve to be as good as it ended up -

Battleship
I thoroughly enjoyed Battleship. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't very great either. It was an action flick and delivered on what action flicks promise. Don't know why it's so hated.

Last edited by Biggirl; 04-24-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Battleship. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't very great either. It was an action flick and delivered on what action picks promise. Don't know why it's so hated.
Because nobody in the movie said, "You sunk my battleship!".
Old 04-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Brainsmasher...A Love Story, starring Andrew "Dice" Clay and Teri Hatcher, featuring Portland night life and killer Chinese monks that keep insisting throughout the film that "We are not ninjas!".
Speaking of Dice, I very much enjoyed The Adventures of Ford Fairlane as a 13-year-old boy and I still enjoy it on that same level today.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Iím going to go with Gargoyles. Not the animated series and home for wayward Star Trek alumni. The cheesy made for TV movie starring Cornel Wilde and Bernie Casey in gargoyle make up. A true classic.

There is a sequel coming out soon so there couldnít be that many issues.
I agree. I once had the choice between watching this or one of two classic movies on the other big networks, and I ended up watching Gargoyles. Wonderfully awful, and I'm surprised other people not only remember it, but do so fondly.
---The Call of Chihuli