Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Why do you like Donald Trump as President?

I put this in the Pit because I know this is where it will end up.

But I am curious as to why anyone supports him. Or would consider him for anything in government or any type of business deal at all.

Be prepared to back up your position.

I know this is going to be a rough room, but do tell. Why do you support him?

Let's try to be gentle here folks. I am genuinely curious.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.

Last edited by enipla; 05-12-2018 at 04:12 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,038
You may be on the wrong board for this. With only a couple of exceptions even our most strong conservatives such as starving artist have taken the "I don't think Trump is a good president but..." line of waffling. The only full fledged supporter I've seen is Clothahump and he isn't much for careful explanation of his reasoning.
  #3  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Quartz Quartz is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 29,450
Does "I like the fact that he is several thousand miles away." count?
__________________
Quartz
  #4  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:09 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
You may be on the wrong board for this. With only a couple of exceptions even our most strong conservatives such as starving artist have taken the "I don't think Trump is a good president but..." line of waffling. The only full fledged supporter I've seen is Clothahump and he isn't much for careful explanation of his reasoning.
Fair enough. But considering the thousands of posts discussing and defending trump here, I just would like a little bit of insight for their reasoning to do so.

And in particular, the "I don't think Trump is a good president but..." position.

But what? Show your work if you can.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #5  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:13 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 35,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Fair enough. But considering the thousands of posts discussing and defending trump here, I just would like a little bit of insight for their reasoning to do so.

And in particular, the "I don't think Trump is a good president but..." position.

But what? Show your work if you can.
Hurricane has said because he personally benefited from the tax breaks. He doesn't care what happens to the country.
  #6  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:20 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,516
Loooong article from the WaPo interviewing Trump supporters in the Midwest.
I read it and honestly still couldn't see their point.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.bc382638d773

Last edited by steatopygia; 05-12-2018 at 05:21 PM.
  #7  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,063
I tried to read that when it was published and couldn't get through it. It was long and the point was really buried, if there was one at all.
  #8  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:33 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I tried to read that when it was published and couldn't get through it. It was long and the point was really buried, if there was one at all.
As usual, my writing is unclear. I meant I couldn't understand the reasoning of the Trump supporters. To me it seemed that they didn't feel like Washington was doing enough for them. And, of course, Hillary was going to take their guns. They are white people in America in the 21st century. The richest class of people the world has ever produced. Fucking snowflakes.
  #9  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,256
"Because I am a redneck who is clinically insane. I have no knowledge of anything and my pea-sized primordial brain is completely impervious to facts. Also, I hate foreigners, especially dark-skinned ones, fucking A-Rab Muslims, and Mexicans, what we didn't have none of back when America was Great an' we had wazzhisname that bald kraut as President, though I always done suspicioned that he was a danged Jew. And I hate the gubbermint. But I does love me my guns. I takes 'em to bed and talks to 'em real sweet like."

I think that about sums it up.
  #10  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 11,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
As usual, my writing is unclear. I meant I couldn't understand the reasoning of the Trump supporters. To me it seemed that they didn't feel like Washington was doing enough for them. And, of course, Hillary was going to take their guns. They are white people in America in the 21st century. The richest class of people the world has ever produced. Fucking snowflakes.
My writing wasn't clear either. The article indicated it was going to explain the thinking of Trump voters, and how it was changing the longer he was in office. It didn't really. The closest they came was a statement about how the Midwest has big cars and big parking spots and neither party understood them.
  #11  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 21,996
I think I've posted this before on this board, but am not sure, so here goes (possibly again). The reason the morons support Trump is "He's not Hillary Clinton". That's it. There is no substance, no argument. They just could not stand the thought of a strong woman becoming president after a strong Black man managed to become president. Your OP is essentially asking for a rational explanation for an irrational action. Ain't going to happen.
  #12  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace John Mace is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 84,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I think I've posted this before on this board, but am not sure, so here goes (possibly again). The reason the morons support Trump is "He's not Hillary Clinton". That's it. There is no substance, no argument. They just could not stand the thought of a strong woman becoming president after a strong Black man managed to become president. Your OP is essentially asking for a rational explanation for an irrational action. Ain't going to happen.
There is a good portion of the electorate who votes party line, regardless of who is running. And if it all boiled down to not wanting a "strong woman", then you'd have to believe that few people would have voted for Trump if the Democrats had nominated a white man instead of Hillary. Do you believe that?

Also, there is a significant overlap between Trump supporters and Sarah Palin fans. It's not just a gender issue.

Last edited by John Mace; 05-12-2018 at 06:30 PM.
  #13  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:41 PM
kaylasdad99 kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 30,015
Although the “He’s not Hillary Clinton” excuse shows a shockingly low level of critical thought (and a correspondingly high degree of irresponsibility), one must concede that there’s a certain amount of symmetry. The crucial difference, of course, being that “[S]he’s not a Republican” is a perfectly adequate and responsible reason to vote for any Democrat who gets on the ballot.
  #14  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Delicious Delicious is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 565
As a non-American I do find Trump's presidency pretty funny, I imagine it's not as good when the joke's at your expense though
  #15  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 PM
don't mind me don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,042
I made the regretful decision to watch Roseanne on Jimmy Kimmel's show. Her answer: "So would you rather have Mike Pence???" Lots of self-awareness in that.
  #16  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Jackmannii Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 30,173
Obama was so earnest and boring.

Trump is quirky fun.
  #17  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Thanks all. And so far a good interpretation of why we think they like Trump. I agree with what has been said. I would like to see a Trump supporter step forward and express it in their own words. There are at least 3 or 4 Trump supporters here. Perhaps more. This is your place to explain why you support Trump.

No attacks please, for now lets call this a neutral zone. Asking to clarify is OK. Perhaps I should have put this in GD.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #18  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:04 PM
clairobscur clairobscur is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
Loooong article from the WaPo interviewing Trump supporters in the Midwest.
I read it and honestly still couldn't see their point.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.bc382638d773
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
As usual, my writing is unclear. I meant I couldn't understand the reasoning of the Trump supporters. To me it seemed that they didn't feel like Washington was doing enough for them. And, of course, Hillary was going to take their guns. They are white people in America in the 21st century. The richest class of people the world has ever produced. Fucking snowflakes.

I'm a French leftist, who shouldn't have a clue, but their point seems crystal clear to me :

Even though they'd prefer him to be different, they don't really give a shit about Trump lying or grabbing Hollywood pussies. What they care about is that they're rather modest people (despite what you say about the "richest class of people" : they don't compare themselves to 19th century people or African subsistence farmers : they compare themselves to other Americans, and from this point of view, they aren't swimming in wealth and privileges) who would like to at least keep their modest way of life, and if possible get back the better paying factory job they had 15 years ago. They have the feeling that nobody gives a shit about their plight, that everybody, especially in Washington, despise them despite having done nothing to deserve this scorn, and hope that maybe, for once, somebody will do something to improve their lot. At least Trump said he would, and they still cling to the hope that he will.

The fact that you perceive them as super-privileged people who care only for their guns (the gun issue was mentioned only once in a very long article, you must be blind and biased to have noticed only this) underlines the problem : you appear to be totally deaf to the actual reasons why they voted Trump, and totally uninterested in them and in their issues.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #19  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 PM
clairobscur clairobscur is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 17,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I think I've posted this before on this board, but am not sure, so here goes (possibly again). The reason the morons support Trump is "He's not Hillary Clinton". That's it. There is no substance, no argument. They just could not stand the thought of a strong woman becoming president after a strong Black man managed to become president. Your OP is essentially asking for a rational explanation for an irrational action. Ain't going to happen.
I'm sure that assuming that the only reason why half your country voted for Trump is that they're all sexist, racist idiots is going to help greatly to win the next elections.
__________________
S'en vai la memoria, e tornara pu.
  #20  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Thanks for your opinion clairobscur. I would prefer that Trump supporters express their own.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #21  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
I'm a French leftist, who shouldn't have a clue, but their point seems crystal clear to me :

Even though they'd prefer him to be different, they don't really give a shit about Trump lying or grabbing Hollywood pussies. What they care about is that they're rather modest people (despite what you say about the "richest class of people" : they don't compare themselves to 19th century people or African subsistence farmers : they compare themselves to other Americans, and from this point of view, they aren't swimming in wealth and privileges) who would like to at least keep their modest way of life, and if possible get back the better paying factory job they had 15 years ago. They have the feeling that nobody gives a shit about their plight, that everybody, especially in Washington, despise them despite having done nothing to deserve this scorn, and hope that maybe, for once, somebody will do something to improve their lot. At least Trump said he would, and they still cling to the hope that he will.
There is a certain amount of truth to the fact that Trump supporters generally feel that their government has largely been shit and cares mainly about the plutocrats and not about them. There is also a great deal of truth to the supposition that Trump supporters are generally redneck ignoramuses who were swindled by a con man and who elected the most incompetent, corrupt, self-serving, plutocratically aligned administration in modern history and perhaps ever in American history. Just listen to any of these morons try to explain their reasoning, or try to defend their hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
I'm sure that assuming that the only reason why half your country voted for Trump is that they're all sexist, racist idiots is going to help greatly to win the next elections.
Half the country did not vote for Trump. In fact half the country did not vote, period -- the quintessential American problem. Many of the others voted along party lines with a very poor understanding of the issues. I would guess that the majority of Trump voters had the issues explained to them by Fox News.
  #22  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 PM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace John Mace is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 84,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Thanks all. And so far a good interpretation of why we think they like Trump. I agree with what has been said. I would like to see a Trump supporter step forward and express it in their own words. There are at least 3 or 4 Trump supporters here. Perhaps more. This is your place to explain why you support Trump.

No attacks please, for now lets call this a neutral zone. Asking to clarify is OK. Perhaps I should have put this in GD.
Why don't you PM them so they know about your thread? But would you blame folks for not participating in a thread in the Pit? It's a guarantee to be insulted by your fellow posters here-- maybe dozens of them.
  #23  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 PM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Why don't you PM them so they know about your thread? But would you blame folks for not participating in a thread in the Pit? It's a guarantee to be insulted by your fellow posters here-- maybe dozens of them.
Yeah, you're right. I thought I/we might get some insight without attacking each other.

I'll let this thread die on the vine. Or if it just turns into another he said/she said, I will ask it to be shut down.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #24  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Clothahump Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I put this in the Pit because I know this is where it will end up.

But I am curious as to why anyone supports him. Or would consider him for anything in government or any type of business deal at all.

Be prepared to back up your position.

I know this is going to be a rough room, but do tell. Why do you support him?

Let's try to be gentle here folks. I am genuinely curious.
What's not to like?

Here's a good starting point: http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-first...shments-786130

But first and foremost - he's not Hillary Clinton.
  #25  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
...

They have the feeling that nobody gives a shit about their plight, that everybody, especially in Washington, despise them despite having done nothing to deserve this scorn, and hope that maybe, for once, somebody will do something to improve their lot. At least Trump said he would, and they still cling to the hope that he will.

The fact that you perceive them as super-privileged people who care only for their guns (the gun issue was mentioned only once in a very long article, you must be blind and biased to have noticed only this) underlines the problem : you appear to be totally deaf to the actual reasons why they voted Trump, and totally uninterested in them and in their issues.
There may be some truth to that, but it cuts both ways. How much are midwest farmers and Appalachian coal miners interested in city dwellers and their issues? For every dismissal of "flyover country" there's a corresponding accusation of "ivory-tower elitist".

Or do Trump supporters think that they're the only Real AmericansTM, and only their agenda matters?
  #26  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,861
Well, ~62 million Americans voted for Trump, or about one in five.

I don't have a problem assuming that one in ten Americans (or about half of the total voters for Trump) would automatically vote for the Republican candidate no matter what because:

1. The general perception that Republicans will seek to regulate if not outright ban abortion.
2. The general perception that Republicans will not seek to regulate, let alone ban gun ownership.
3. The general perception that Republicans will lower taxes and/or improve the economy.
4. The general perception that Republicans are tougher on criminals and/or less yielding to the demands of social minorities.
5. The general perception that Republicans want to introduce more Christianity into legislation and/or legislate protections for Christianity.

Whether or not these perceptions are actually true (and of course willfully ignoring any evidence that they are false), I feel comfortable estimating that half of the Americans voting for Trump would have voted for any Republican for one or more of the above reasons.

So why did the remaining one American in ten vote from Trump? I speculate some combination of:

1. Wanting to break or at least shake up the system they perceive as not serving their interests
2. Dislike of Hillary Clinton specifically
3. Admiration for Trump personally

That third category is the one I have the biggest trouble understanding. Sam Harris said Trump was like a poor person's idea of a rich person. I suppose there must be some admiration for Trump based on not much more than "he's rich, therefore smart" or "he's on TV, therefore smart."
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #27  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12,345
There was also probably a certain number of voters who voted for Trump for the "Boaty McBoatFace" reason - in the same way that people voted for a dignified scientific research ship to be named Boaty McBoatFace because the name was so inappropriate, some people probably supported Trump for president for sheer sake of the lulz. The more unsuitable a candidate was perceived to be, the more they wanted him in the Oval Office. A 4chan-type mindset.
  #28  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:51 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 27,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
What's not to like?

Here's a good starting point: http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-first...shments-786130

But first and foremost - he's not Hillary Clinton.
First of all, the author points out that those items are mentioned regardless if they are good or bad. IOW, one can indeed accomplish a lot, but so did Attila the Hun.

Besides the immigration issue that can be debated, one does not need to read 5 lines before one can notice that most of those accomplishments are not quite.

"American companies now expanding rather than shipping jobs overseas"
https://qz.com/1144201/under-trump-u...r-than-before/
Quote:
All told, in the year since Trump was elected, more than 93,000 jobs have been certified by the Department of Labor as lost to outsourcing or trade competition, slightly higher than the average of about 87,000 in the preceding five years. But federal contractors made up 10% of that number, rather than the previous average of 4%. That suggests companies that work for the government like General Motors, Boeing and United Technologies aren’t worried about political repercussions from the man in the White House.
"Adopted a resolute policy on Afghanistan"
http://www.newsweek.com/us-losing-wa...ecurity-907491
Quote:
U.S. Losing War in Afghanistan as Militants Take More Land and Tens of Thousands of Security Forces Leave
  #29  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:34 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 17,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
... The reason the morons support Trump is "He's not Hillary Clinton". That's it. There is no substance, no argument. They just could not stand the thought of a strong woman becoming president after a strong Black man managed to become president....
This may help explain how Trump won the general election in November, but he also did very well in the primary season where Hillary-haters had other anti-Clinton candidates to choose from, either intelligent (Bush, Kasich) or nitwits of Trump's caliber (almost all the others on the clown stage).

Too bad we're in the Pit. I'd like to hear what the Board's Republicans think about Pence, what they think about renouncing the Iran deal, what they think about ballooning the debt with a tax cut. Or are they all of Hurricane's ilk, unable to think beyond the $13 extra in their take-home paycheck?
  #30  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:45 PM
Clothahump Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I think I've posted this before on this board, but am not sure, so here goes (possibly again). The reason the morons support Trump is "He's not Hillary Clinton". That's it. There is no substance, no argument. They just could not stand the thought of a strong woman becoming president
Oh, Jesus Christ on a crutch. A "strong woman"? Substitute "felon" for that phrase and it would be correct.
  #31  
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Oh, Jesus Christ on a crutch. A "strong woman"? Substitute "felon" for that phrase and it would be correct.
So.... is that why you like Trump?
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #32  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 17,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Oh, Jesus Christ on a crutch. A "strong woman"? Substitute "felon" for that phrase and it would be correct.
Obviously she's a serial killer, and a traitor. Is that what you're referring to? Voting for the 2002 AUMF makes her a war criminal, and that pizza parlor-brothel makes her a white slaver.

So many felonies to choose from. The U.S.A. is sure lucky to have a generous and upstanding Christian like DJT in her stead.
  #33  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:08 AM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 20,637
It's really very simple.

I hate blacks. Trump hates blacks. Go, Trump!

I hate Jews. Trump hates Jews. Go, Trump!

I hate immigrants. Trump hates immigrants. Go, Trump!

I hate rich people. Trump...uhm... Go, go, Trumpster!

I'm sure you see where this is going. Voters vote their inner-conscience, and this is what their inner conscience is telling them. Rationality is not a factor.
  #34  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Oh, Jesus Christ on a crutch. A "strong woman"? Substitute "felon" for that phrase and it would be correct.
What was she convicted of?
__________________
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
  #35  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 AM
anomalous1 anomalous1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,389
The intimidation factor. Hillary and Obama did not have that. It was time to remind the world with a change. An arrogant, egomaniacal self-centered leader with a penchant for bullying and intimidation is what was needed. Can't have our enemies drawing the lines to not cross. In the same vein, someone who does not represent or have an association with "sneering progressive" elitist scumbags who assume that they have all of the answers to everything about our society but were too naive to notice that their ultra-left wing sociology and cultural studies teachers had brainwashed them.

Notice, I did not say Liberal's here. I have come to terms that many/most Liberal/Democrats are actually sane and rational and accept reality, but the fringey ultra-left were taking it too far and the Democratic party had started to let them have their way. With Trump, it will knock them down a peg or two and thus bring upon more moderate changes and discussions in moving in the right direction.

Alternating between Left and Right in election cycles is the best way to maintain the status quo and make changes slowly and comfortably.

Just the opinion of this voter. My $0.02.

Last edited by anomalous1; 05-13-2018 at 12:26 AM.
  #36  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 AM
anomalous1 anomalous1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
It's really very simple.

I hate blacks. Trump hates blacks. Go, Trump!

I hate Jews. Trump hates Jews. Go, Trump!

I hate immigrants. Trump hates immigrants. Go, Trump!

I hate rich people. Trump...uhm... Go, go, Trumpster!

I'm sure you see where this is going. Voters vote their inner-conscience, and this is what their inner conscience is telling them. Rationality is not a factor.
This is just absolutely not correct.
  #37  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:35 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 14,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
What was she convicted of?
Benghazing with intent.

And Clothahump continues to be confused as to what constitutes a felon.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.
  #38  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 AM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Benghazing with intent.

And Clothahump continues to be confused as to what constitutes a felon.
https://definitions.uslegal.com/f/felon/ : "Felon is the term used to define a person who has been convicted of a felony. Any person convicted of a serous crime like murder or burglary can be called a felon"

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/felon ; "felon
n. a person who has been convicted of a felony, which is a crime punishable by death or a term in state or federal prison. "

https://thelawdictionary.org/felon/ :"; one convicted of felony"

El Kabong, I know you know this already. I'm merely trying to make sure that we're all using the same term the same way.
__________________
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
  #39  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:08 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 14,943
Anyway, why I like Trump is for the sheer entertainment value. To paraphrase a line from an old movie, there's never any telling what he'll say or do next, except that it's bound to be something astonishing.

Of course my conscience apparently withered and died without my noticing sometime back, so I don't seem to think very much about how astoundingly fucked up Mr. Trump, and most of his retinue, truly are.
  #40  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:14 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 23,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Although the “He’s not Hillary Clinton” excuse shows a shockingly low level of critical thought (and a correspondingly high degree of irresponsibility),
Did you read that WaPo article?
Quote:
Although he had not seen Trump’s victory coming, he said that it hadn’t been difficult to interest people in Trump’s candidacy. “I think Trump brought out the fact that — I mean, as crude and callous as he was at times — so many people had been almost discriminated against because they were Republicans and not Democrats that we felt inferior.”
Quote:
As Gaulrapp left the McDonald’s, he passed by a table of half a dozen men, most of them retired and one sporting a red “Make America Great Again” cap. They all said they had voted for Trump and they jokingly called themselves “a basket of deplorables.” They blamed President Bill Clinton and the North American Free Trade Agreement for the exodus of jobs from the town. They blamed Obama for not bridging racial divides and for other things. They couldn’t stomach Hillary Clinton. They already viewed the incoming president as a success. “I think he’s done a better job, and he isn’t even president yet, than Obama did in eight years,” one man said.
Quote:
“All these accusations are wonderful, but until you prove something, basically you have accused the president of the United States of being a traitor without any proof coming out,” he said. “That’s why I said, good luck to Democrats. They better make this stick because if it’s just sour grapes, they’re in a world of hurt. The Democratic Party almost might kill itself.”

He said many people in Clinton County had not rendered a verdict on Trump’s presidency and wanted him to have more time to show what he could do. “The thing that is frustrating people, at least in this part of the state, [is] they want Trump to have that opportunity and they see a lot of this harassment is limiting his opportunity to do what he was going to do,” he said.
I'm sure they said the same thing when anyone implied that Obama was born in Kenya, right? Anyway, back to the quotes:
Quote:
“I was very wary of Barack Obama and he proved me correct on that,” he said over coffee on a summer afternoon. “I despise Barack Obama. I think primarily because I don’t think he thinks very much of people like me. That’s just the long and short of it.”
what...the...fuck...?
Quote:
Trump’s appeal, he said, was born in part of resentment toward the Obama presidency. “One of the places I would agree with the hard-core Trump people, they’re tired of being treated as the enemy by Barack Obama,” he said. “His comment, the whole thing, it’s been worn out to death, that clinging to God and guns, God and guns and afraid of people who don’t look like them, blah, blah, blah. Just quit talking down to me.”
Hey, let's hear from some Democrats:
Quote:
That evening, the members of the local Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party gathered for their monthly meeting. With a reporter present, they replayed what had happened in the 2016 election. Many opinions were offered, including that the news media weren’t as rigorous in covering Trump as it was Clinton. One activist offered a conclusion shared by many Democrats in the Midwest. “The 60-year-old white male has been forgotten,” he said.
Quote:
George Morse, a retired firefighter, recalled Bill Clinton’s presidency. “I was best off when Bill was president,” he said. Today, he said, neither party favors the working person. He had long voted for Democrats until Obama. “I just didn’t like his attitude,” he said. In 2016, he supported Trump. “We were definitely due for a change.”
Okay, maybe that's enough from Democrats for now:
Quote:
“Every night when I watch the national news, I wonder what circus is going to be on the news, what they’re going to talk about,” he said. “And virtually every night, the first headline is something that President Trump has done or said. . . . I hoped for more of the making America great again, making America strong again, rebuilding our economy in our country. . . . It’s almost like it’s ‘The Apprentice’ on a daily basis.”
Duh. Why did you expect something else?
Quote:
People were more fed up than ever with Washington, he said. “What I’m hearing around here, give the guy a chance,” he said. “Nobody is giving him a chance. We got some Republicans — the Republicans and a lot of the independents are getting very hard toward Congress and the swamp. People have come up with two things that Trump brought up with and everybody is now saying, ‘You’re right.’ Number one, fake news. And it might not be fake news, but there’s so much news that is delivered with a slant or an opinion instead of just presenting the news. And the second thing is the swamp.”
"I'm words and talking my mouth makes the words and noise noise noise like my mouth is talking with words!"
Quote:
Initially wary of Trump’s lack of political correctness, Smicker said he now appreciated the president’s approach. “He got elected because he wasn’t a politician. He’s not politically correct at all,” he said. A minute later, he added: “I think as people get more used to him and find out how real he is — and I think the guy is real, I don’t think he’s putting on a charade — I think people are going to get used to him and say, ‘Okay, now we kind of know what we’ve got.’ ”
HOLY FUCK YOU JACKASS! YOU HANDED THIS GUY THE NUCLEAR CODES, YOU DUMBFUCK! YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE GETTING BEFORE YOU ELECT SOMEONE!
Quote:
“I can’t speak for everybody,” he said, “but there’s some acceptance to the inflammatory rhetoric — I’m not saying I agree with it — in exchange for policies that are near and dear to our heart. Positions on Second Amendment. Conservative Supreme Court justices. I don’t think it’s an either/or. I think you can do both. I think you can accept Donald Trump as a president while disagreeing with his positions or his rhetoric or his comments as it relates to certain issues.”

The reason, he said, is that the alternative to Trump is too threatening to contemplate. “The fear of a Dick Durbin, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer economy or country is so dangerous that there’s some acceptance of perhaps rhetoric we don’t agree with,” he said. “Many Republicans probably still look at, well, our president is better than the alternative of Hillary Clinton for the following reasons — and people fill in that blank. It may be their position on abortion issues. It may be their position on gun issues. It may be their position on NAFTA, Paris climate agreement. Everybody has their different reasons.”
My point is that critical thought really doesn't seem to be at play here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
There was also probably a certain number of voters who voted for Trump for the "Boaty McBoatFace" reason - in the same way that people voted for a dignified scientific research ship to be named Boaty McBoatFace because the name was so inappropriate, some people probably supported Trump for president for sheer sake of the lulz. The more unsuitable a candidate was perceived to be, the more they wanted him in the Oval Office. A 4chan-type mindset.
Aye; there was that too.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-13-2018 at 01:19 AM.
  #41  
Old 05-13-2018, 01:38 AM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
Notice, I did not say Liberal's here. I have come to terms that many/most Liberal/Democrats are actually sane and rational and accept reality, but the fringey ultra-left were taking it too far and the Democratic party had started to let them have their way. With Trump, it will knock them down a peg or two and thus bring upon more moderate changes and discussions in moving in the right direction.
How are the fringey, ultra-left having their way? The Democratic Party has been favoring its centrist wing since Bill Clinton was president, Hillary was more centrist than Bernie Sanders, and her nomination and the release of the hacked e-mails alienated the leftists within the party.
  #42  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:37 AM
harmonicamoon harmonicamoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucatan, Mexico
Posts: 2,840
Thanks to Trump, we will have a nuke free North Korea. North Korea and South Korea will become one country. He turned an enemy into an ally!

Three Americans, detained by North Korea, are now home.

What is not to like about Trump?
  #43  
Old 05-13-2018, 04:25 AM
AK84 AK84 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
As a non-American I do find Trump's presidency pretty funny, I imagine it's not as good when the joke's at your expense though
Exactly. It’s entertaining. Every morning I watch the news wondering what’s next.
Plus Americans have forced idiots and worse on other countries so this is Karma.
  #44  
Old 05-13-2018, 06:41 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thanks to Trump, we will have a nuke free North Korea. North Korea and South Korea will become one country. He turned an enemy into an ally!
We'll see. Meanwhile, I'm curious as to what specifically gives you such high level of confidence given NK's history under just such circumstances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Three Americans, detained by North Korea, are now home.
That is certainly a bright spot of this administration thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
What is not to like about Trump?
There is nothing you don't like about Trump? Nothing at all?
  #45  
Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Superdude Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thanks to Trump, we will have a nuke free North Korea. North Korea and South Korea will become one country. He turned an enemy into an ally!

Three Americans, detained by North Korea, are now home.

What is not to like about Trump?
Remember, though, that two of the three hostages were also arrested/detained during Trump's administration. He can't really claim victory for fixing someone else's mistake on that.
__________________
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
  #46  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,489
Reagan was famously credited with the release of American hostages by Iran, so...
  #47  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:44 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,776
I think it’s because Trump is a con artist. He’s playing a classic long game. There is craft involved. That includes letting the mark win -at first. And convincing the mark that they are in on the game. The was the genius behind the Madoff scam. Most of the victims realized that Madoff wasn’t being honest about his investment strategy, but they thought he was cheating large institutional investors on their behalf. So they played dumb.

So Trump deepened the country’s debt in order to provide an illusion of increased prosperity for many of his supporters, like that ridiculously ignorant concern troll Hurricane Ditka. Who’s too much of a snowflake to show up in this forum. And the rigging of the tax cuts to screw blue state residents was, frankly, a brilliant touch — because it gave his marks the feeling of being in on the game. So he’s letting his marks “win” so they will look the other way while he loots the Treasury.

It’s not like there wasn’t evidence for this, he’s been running con games for a long time — I defy anyone to show me an account of ONE person who got rich because they went to Trump University. Yet when I mention that to Trump supporters, they generally tell me that anyone stupid enough to buy a degree from Trump U got what they deserved. The irony, it burns.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-13-2018 at 07:45 AM.
  #48  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 AM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I think it’s because Trump is a con artist. He’s playing a classic long game. There is craft involved. That includes letting the mark win -at first. And convincing the mark that they are in on the game. The was the genius behind the Madoff scam. Most of the victims realized that Madoff wasn’t being honest about his investment strategy, but they thought he was cheating large institutional investors on their behalf. So they played dumb.

So Trump deepened the country’s debt in order to provide an illusion of increased prosperity for many of his supporters, like that ridiculously ignorant concern troll Hurricane Ditka. Who’s too much of a snowflake to show up in this forum. And the rigging of the tax cuts to screw blue state residents was, frankly, a brilliant touch — because it gave his marks the feeling of being in on the game. So he’s letting his marks “win” so they will look the other way while he loots the Treasury.

It’s not like there wasn’t evidence for this, he’s been running con games for a long time — I defy anyone to show me an account of ONE person who got rich because they went to Trump University. Yet when I mention that to Trump supporters, they generally tell me that anyone stupid enough to buy a degree from Trump U got what they deserved. The irony, it burns.
I think he is more of a simple bully than a con man. Or at least, that's how he pulls off his cons. Cheating people is just normal everyday business to him.

Unfortunately, my Wife's side of the family are Trump supporters (except for my Wife of course [and a nephew]). I love all of them, but any political discussions become tense to say the least. They watch Fox. And only Fox 'news'.

Neither my Wife and I are big Hillary Clinton supporters, but we certainly voted for her because the alternative was Trump. I think that Trump supports think that those that don't like him are big Hillary supporters, and that's why we don't like him. That's just not the case at all.

I did say I was going to let this thread die on the vine, or close it. But I'm am seeing some more insight, so will let it continue.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #49  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:19 AM
enipla enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thanks to Trump, we will have a nuke free North Korea. North Korea and South Korea will become one country. He turned an enemy into an ally!
Um. No. That's not gonna happen.

But Iran may very well join the nuclear arms club.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #50  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 21,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Thanks to Trump, we will have a nuke free North Korea.
And every time that's been promised by North Korea...well, it's merely been promised.

Quote:
North Korea and South Korea will become one country.
Highly doubtful. First, the governments of both North and South Korea will want verifiable assurances from each other. Given North Korea's track record, that's simply not going to happen. Second, North Korea cannot maintain its current economic system even without unification. With a unified country, the North's economy will collapse far worse than it did when the state distribution system failed a few years ago. Third, the South's populace is not prepared (or even capable, given the likely cost of unification) to fund the North until that region is a viable partner in one country. Third, there are quite a lot of people in prison camps in North Korea. That issue is not going to go away and absent full-scale slaughter à la the Shoah, the South will be hard-pressed to provide homes, jobs, and education for the newly released prisoners. With or with the slaughter, the South's populace will still require an accounting of those prisoners, among others. Fourth, there are still about 500 South Koreans known to have been abducted by North Korea. Their families, along with the rest of the populace, will want a verifiable accounting of what happened to them.

Quote:
He turned an enemy into an ally!
He has done no such thing. North Korea has run this play before. Indeed, it seems to be the most effective one in its playbook. North Korea wants something specific (food, money, assistance with distribution of matériel, not being written off as a rogue nation, etc.) from a specific target sponsor, in this case the United States and/or South Korea.

Quote:
Three Americans, detained by North Korea, are now home.
And abductees from our allies are left there to rot.

Quote:
What is not to like about Trump?
Quite a lot. Seriously, you cannot be so ignorant to think that there's nothing "not to like" about Trump.

By the way, I'm betting that either North Korea cancels the Singapore meeting due to Trump's comments in the intervening days or Trump cancels it due to the North Korean government's comments about Trump in the intervening days. I simply don't see the meeting happening.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017