Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 AM

Do trolls get a seniority bonus?

Like, is there a certain account age past which being banned for being a troll is just something the mods will not do? If so, how old is that so I can keep that in mind?

If not, what's the excuse for what's going on in this thread?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

This is a very troll friendly board, not just for senior trolls, but for young trolls as well. No one is permitted to call trolls out outside of the pit, and back in the day you couldn't even do that there. The mods won't do a damn thing about it until it becomes so obvious they have to stir themselves. My conspiracy theory is that TPTB know that people will stick around to gawp at and argue with trolls, which means more eyeballs and revenue for the board. It's just a thing you have to live with.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 05-15-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
The moderators bend over backwards to pander to rightwingers, and punish anyone who argues against them too hard. This is a board with very racist-friendly moderation, and has long tended to be infested with blatant racism as a result.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
This is a very troll friendly board, not just for senior trolls, but for young trolls as well. No one is permitted to call trolls out outside of the pit, and back in the day you couldn't even do that there. The mods won't do a damn thing about it until it becomes so obvious they have to stir themselves. My conspiracy theory is that TPTB know that people will stick around to gawp at and argue with trolls, which means more eyeballs and revenue for the board. It's just a thing you have to live with.
I've seen plenty of young trolls nowhere near as egregious get their asses served a banhammer.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Note that the thread in question is Pit thread. You can get a warning for trolling in the Pit, but the bar is very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet
I've seen plenty of young trolls nowhere near as egregious get their asses served a ban hammer.
For posts in the Pit?

Last edited by John Mace; 05-15-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
This is a very troll friendly board, not just for senior trolls, but for young trolls as well. No one is permitted to call trolls out outside of the pit, and back in the day you couldn't even do that there.
I don't see the correlation. A forum can give very little leeway to possible trolls and still forbid any public accusations of trolling.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I've seen plenty of young trolls nowhere near as egregious get their asses served a banhammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Note that the thread in question is Pit thread. You can get a warning for trolling in the Pit, but the bar is very high.

For posts in the Pit?
handsomeharry, anyone? Note he was given virtually NO slack, not even a suspension.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Like, is there a certain account age past which being banned for being a troll is just something the mods will not do? If so, how old is that so I can keep that in mind?

Thanks!
Well, since it has apparently sailed right over your head, I'll explain it for you:

I'm pointing out that the (vast) majority of people on this board are using a term incorrectly. If you want to call that trolling, knock yourself out.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
handsomeharry, anyone? Note he was given virtually NO slack, not even a suspension.
He didn't earn any slack.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I'm pointing out that the (vast) majority of people on this board are using a term incorrectly.
That's not really how it works.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
You're going to have to make your case, not just link to two multipage threads and expect us to read both and figure out why you think one is as bad or worse than the other. I'll just note that in the handsomeharry thread, he was the OP and had 56 posts. In the thread in your OP, the poster in question is not the OP and had 15 posts.

But we should wait for Miller to weigh in since it's mostly his decision.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM

What do the worst trolls have in common? That the best outcome of them posting in a thread is everyone acting as though they hadn't, and the common outcome is the thread becoming completely derailed by people arguing with them/calling them stupid. This is just the most recent example.

So given the outline of Handsomeharry above, I can assume seniority is achieved at some point between 15 and 18 years on this forum?

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 05-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Extrajudicial

Quote:

Thanks!
In response to the three questions posed:
  1. No.
  2. N/A.
  3. Different people interpret things differently.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
So given the outline of Handsomeharry above, I can assume seniority is achieved at some point between 15 and 18 years on this forum?
Trying to come up with a blanket rule based on a sample size of one seems to me like an exceptionally silly thing to do.

Newbie trolls aren't given much latitude, because they have no history of being able to post here productively. Someone who has been here a while has proven that they can be a productive member, and will be given more latitude with respect to all sorts of offenses. Since they have proven that they can post within the rules (at least most of the time), we are much more likely to try to steer them towards good behavior instead of just banning them outright.

If someone has been a productive member here for quite some time and then starts behaving badly, we also take their history here into consideration, because something may be going on in their personal life that is causing them to behave poorly.

On the other hand, if someone has been a long-time member here, but they have been constantly skirting the line of what is acceptable and what is not, it's clear that they are a problem poster who is trying to be as much of a problem as possible while not getting banned. If their trolling finally goes over the line, they might not get much of a warning before being tossed over the side.

Everything is handled on a case by case basis, so any simple blanket rule you try to come up with isn't going to work. We consider posting history as well as the poster's attitude and all kinds of things when we consider bannings. What we are really looking for is how likely is it that the poster will conform to the rules if we give some sort of disciplinary measure like a suspension or a warning. If it is clear that they just aren't going to obey the rules, they get banned.

The idea that we allow bad behavior after a particular time limit is just silly.

Also, as was previously noted, the bar for certain bad behaviors is a lot higher in the Pit than it is in other forums. I will leave any further forum-specific comments about trolling or other bad behavior to the moderators of those forums.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:51 AM

I'll just point out that, even for established posters, those who have been suspended generally have been given very little slack post-suspension (thinking specifically of Diogenes and BrainGlutton)...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM

In this particular case, the poster on a past occasion admitted that he was trolling when he made this exact argument in 2017.

Here is where he admitted it before:

Quote:
Quote Clothahump, post 42

iiandyii, you are dumber than a box of rocks.

Do you seriously think that I didn't understand that you were just looking to pick a fight with me, like a school bully who says my sister fucks for quarters?

Guess what, bro? I played your stupid ass all the way up and down the street. I fed you a calculated response that was intended to light you up, just like telling the bully that the quarters are better than the dimes his sister fucks for. And you fell for it hook, line and sinker. It worked out even better than I thought it would, because you were actually stupid enough to open a Pit thread glorifying it.

And all the rest of you bigoted assholes who promptly piled on to agree what a horrible person I am - you fell for it, too. I played each and every one of your stupid asses. Not a single goddamn one of you even stopped to truly read my response and think hey, wait a minute - that sounds really contrived. NOT A SINGLE ONE! You just saddled up your bigotcycles and popped a wheelie.

Here ya go, iiandyii - you get to wear the crown for being the King Of The Dumbasses. Rest assured, you have many, many subjects in your kingdom.

Now, I'm quite sure that you guys are gonna start stamping your feet and waving your hands in the air and holding your breath until your faces turn red and whining about how I trolled you and how evil, wicked, mean and nasty I am. I'm really looking forward to reading the responses. Please try to be a little creative, otherwise you'll just get boring.

Oh, man - I can't hold it back any longer. BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH! It's just too funny.

I don't have many subscribed threads, but you can bet I'm subscribing to this one. I'll come back to it and read it any time I need a good belly laugh.
It's hard to understand how the same argument that he made last year, and he admitted was trolling, is not trolling now. He admission isn't subtle either. He gloated. He was not slipping in a sly reference. He clearly knew what he was doing. He knows now as well.

Maybe he needs a topic ban?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

For the life of me, I still can't understand how using an ethnic slur, and then claiming you didn't mean it, amounts to some kind of cunning hoax.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
The moderators bend over backwards to pander to rightwingers, and punish anyone who argues against them too hard. This is a board with very racist-friendly moderation, and has long tended to be infested with blatant racism as a result.
In all fairness they bend over backwards to kowtow to the left-wing of the board too. Usually when (not so) subtly accusing the Republicans on this Board as being racists.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Sith Mod

The thing about identifying a troll is, there's no position so outrageous that someone, somewhere, doesn't legitimately hold it. When some guy shows up out of nowhere spouting nonsense, it's pretty easy to say, "Well, he's probably lying," and go right for the troll ban. It's a harder line to parse when its someone who's been around for a while, and for whom the "outrageous" post is not dramatically out of step with the stuff they've posted to date.

Which is to say that, given Clothahump's history on the board, I found it absolutely believable that he legitimately thinks "wetback" is not a racial slur. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about the thread Sunny Daze linked to, where he straight up admitted it was not the case. Since that led to a suspension, I absolutely should have remembered it, or at least double checked his history sooner, instead of relying on my memory of his posts.

I'm going to issue a warning in that thread, and based on the previous suspension he received for exactly the same thing, I expect we're going to have a talk about him in the mod loop.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Maybe he needs a topic ban?
Would have to be two topics: racism and politics.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
The moderators bend over backwards to pander to rightwingers, and punish anyone who argues against them too hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
In all fairness they bend over backwards to kowtow to the left-wing of the board too.
So the moderators show favoritism to both left- and right-wingers? How does that work, exactly?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
For the life of me, I still can't understand how using an ethnic slur, and then claiming you didn't mean it, amounts to some kind of cunning hoax.
"I'm not pulling the cat's tail, I'm just holding it. The cat's pulling." Didn't work for me in 3rd grade. I'm surprised it's worked this well here for Clothy.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
So the moderators show favoritism to both left- and right-wingers? How does that work, exactly?
Lots of yoga.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Quote:
It's the namby-pamby middle-of-the-road people who are modded with Extreme Prejudice.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
It's the namby-pamby middle-of-the-road people who are modded with Extreme Prejudice.
They have no respect for the fence-sitters.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Well, since it has apparently sailed right over your head, I'll explain it for you:

I'm pointing out that the (vast) majority of people on this board are using a term incorrectly. If you want to call that trolling, knock yourself out.
I was wondering about that recently ... isn't the proper spelting "trawling" ... dragging bait behind our boat and see who bites? ... in the case of these boards this manifests by holding an unpopular opinion just to get a rise out of people ... for example, stating that [some heinous act] is good for society; and then watch the thread explode ... like setting the hook on some big fish and fighting it home ...

I can certainly testify that I get absolutely no slack of any kind no matter how long I've been here ...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Nope. That's trolling. Trawling involves a huge net and indiscriminate scooping up of material.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
It's called "sucking up to the powerful and popular". The same reason that the Catholic Church gets far more slack than Scientology does, in and off the forum.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:

I have trouble believing that this entire board, minus you, gets the definition of "wetback" wrong. Especially since there have been numerous cites showing that the word IS used as an ethnic slur.

Occam's Razor suggests that it is you, in fact, who is getting this wrong. Do you have a cite that defines the word as you claim, that there's no slur intended?

I doubt it. It's cognitive dissonance writ large. You seem incapable of realizing that you get things wrong.

Again, this is akin to Taylor Swift writing a song called, "Maybe It's Me."
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
The smoking gun is knowing about an old comic?
Woe be to any Mutt and Jeff fans.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Apparently not. (Bolding in the above quote is by me.)

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 05-15-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I have trouble believing that this entire board, minus you, gets the definition of "wetback" wrong. Especially since there have been numerous cites showing that the word IS used as an ethnic slur.

Occam's Razor suggests that it is you, in fact, who is getting this wrong. Do you have a cite that defines the word as you claim, that there's no slur intended?

I doubt it. It's cognitive dissonance writ large. You seem incapable of realizing that you get things wrong.

Again, this is akin to Taylor Swift writing a song called, "Maybe It's Me."
He's no longer able to respond.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Extrajudicial

The topic here is concluded.
Closed Thread