Old 05-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Favorite unpopular joke from a TV show

By “unpopular” I mean one that no one remembers. Mine is in Lois and Clark when the American guy put the newspaper article on the table and said "Explain this" then the French guy put a French copy of the same article on the table and said "And this".
Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about unpopular but I like obscure references and bad puns. I thought it was kind of neat that My Little Pony reused the pun from the old Beetlejuice cartoon about Timberwolves being made out of wood.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 PM

I know I'm not the only one who got it, but I always thought it was hilarious the way Ron Swanson's references to woodworking on Parks & Recreation were used for laughs while also being completely accurate. For instance, in the episode where he turned into a giddy fanboy because he got to meet a famous furniture builder at a wood convention, the show brought in an actual master woodworker, Christian Becksvoort, for a three-second appearance (I'm sure Nick Hofferman, who runs his own furniture shop in real life, was responsible for all of this sort of thing on the show).
Old 05-20-2018, 03:53 PM

On MASH, Margaret thought she was pregnant. Hawkeye removed the uterus from Radar's pet rabbit, Fluffy, to do a pregnancy test, since Radar insisted Fluffy not be killed. Margaret wasn't pregnant. Awkwardly, she thanked Radar for letting them use his rabbit for the test.

He said, "That's okay, Major. I know you would've done the same for her."

I've never laughed harder in my life, nor heard my mother laugh harder.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

The WKRP in Cincinnati "Turkeys Away" has lots of little gems that have been forgotten because of the classic final punchline. My favorite is Jennifer trying to calm down one angry caller by telling him, "A lot of turkeys don't make it through Thanksgiving."
Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
On MASH, Margaret thought she was pregnant. Hawkeye removed the uterus from Radar's pet rabbit, Fluffy, to do a pregnancy test, since Radar insisted Fluffy not be killed. Margaret wasn't pregnant. Awkwardly, she thanked Radar for letting them use his rabbit for the test.

He said, "That's okay, Major. I know you would've done the same for her."

I've never laughed harder in my life, nor heard my mother laugh harder.
Hawkeye was OD, and five (?) different Koreans came in with the same ID, and Hawk says It must be our Kim Luck-y day.

M*A*S*H was full of that stuff.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 05-20-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

When the guys are trying to help Sheldon overcome his fear of public speaking, referring to themselves as his "X-men." Sheldon responds "X-men were named for Professor Xavier's last name. Since my last name is Cooper, you are my C-men."

There is a long silence before Wolowitz says "That is not a good name."
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I never watched a full episode of the show but happened to catch a joke on "Two and a Half Men."

An old girlfriend of Charlie's has gotten a sex change and is portrayed by Chris O'Donnell. Jon Cryer walks in and wonders who the new guy is; Charlie stammers that it's an old friend.

"Poker buddy?" asks Cryer.

Replies Charlie, "I used to."
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Marge starts a protest against violence in front of Itchy & Scratchy studios, but Moe the Bartender typically has his own agenda.

I know this is as unpopular as it is unknown because of the blank stares I get when I reflexively shout "Bring Back Wagon Train!" any time I'm around chanting protesters.

Last edited by eunoia; 05-21-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Posted this one in the "Funniest Movie Misunderstandings" by mistake. Talking about "bad puns," nothing beats the one in Frasier when the ice sculpture at Marty's wedding was melting:

FRASIER: (In a panic) My Balzac is dripping!

ROZ: Don't worry. In those dark pants, no one will ever know.

Last edited by terentii; 05-21-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I never watched a full episode of the show but happened to catch a joke on "Two and a Half Men."

An old girlfriend of Charlie's has gotten a sex change and is portrayed by Chris O'Donnell. Jon Cryer walks in and wonders who the new guy is; Charlie stammers that it's an old friend.

"Poker buddy?" asks Cryer.

Replies Charlie, "I used to."
They had a lot of great jokes like this. My favorite was the one where Alan and Charlie were trading surreptitious barbs under the guise of book titles the day after Judith had given her ex-husband a BJ while at dinner:

CHARLIE: How about Under the Table, by Richard Gobbler?

Last edited by terentii; 05-21-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Hawkeye was OD, and five (?) different Koreans came in with the same ID, and Hawk says It must be our Kim Luck-y day.
Still one of my favorites!

As was "Tuttle," in which Hawkeye and Trapper had made up a fictitious surgeon named Tuttle, in order to donate his salary to an orphanage. When the gag spirals out of control, they "kill off" Tuttle, and Hawkeye speaks at the memorial service:

"We can all be comforted by the thought that he's not really gone, there's a little Tuttle left in all of us, in fact you might say that all of us together made up Tuttle."
Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 AM

As long as we're telling M.A.S.H. flybys. . .
Col Potter is dictating a letter to Radar and uses the phrase "athletic supporter," when he finishes Radar asks, "how many p's are in supporter?" To which Col Potter nonchalantly replies, "I've always found two to be enough."

From this century. . .In 30 Rock the makeup man D'fwan has his own wine label D'fwine, and advertises it with the tagline "D'frink responsibly"

mc
Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecurtis View Post
As long as we're telling M.A.S.H. flybys. . .
Another old favorite has come to mind. I'm not sure of which episode it comes from, so this is a paraphrase.

It's winter, and bitterly cold. Colonel Potter is on the phone with Supply, complaining about how their last requisitions were screwed up.

"We ordered long underwear, and you sent us mosquito netting! Both are useful items, but hardly interchangeable!"

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-22-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:31 AM

Seinfeld was full of jokes no one would get unless they were familiar with the backlog of episodes.

My favorite so far came when Kramer and Newman were hiring homeless guys to pull rickshaws in NYC. One of the men was named Rusty:

KRAMER: Oh, I once knew a horse named Rusty!

SPOILER:
Rusty was the horse Kramer fed Beef-a-Reeno to when he was a Hansom cab driver. The horse became unbearably flatulent right in the middle of an important fare (the late Susan Ross's parents).

Cough and you would have missed it. I laughed out loud!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

"We can all be comforted by the thought that he's not really gone, there's a little Tuttle left in all of us, in fact you might say that all of us together made up Tuttle."
Radar's reaction to what they are doing is classic. He's about to pass out from the anguish.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
:raises hand:

I don't get it. Does "Kim lucky" sound like something?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 AM

Mahaloth:

It sounds like "our lucky day", except he added the first name of the Korean(s) whose last name is (supposedly) "Luck".
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Two more M*A*S*H one-liners I've always loved, and oddly enough, they're both from the "Officer of the Day" episode:

A Korean has shown up for medical attention, and shows his ID card. His name is Kim Luck. Hawkeye remarks to Radar that's the second Kim Luck they've seen today.

Hawkeye (to Korean): Can you identify yourself?

Korean (thumps chest, smiles): This is me!

Hawkeye: Well, I guess you wouldn't kid me about a thing like that.

I still use the "This is me" line when I'm asked for identification sometimes.

At the end of the day, Hawkeye is dictating his report to Radar. Trapper sticks his head around the door, and asks if they want to see the greatest pinstripe suit of all time. (He'd commissioned a Korean tailor to make one for him.) He walks in and models the suit, which has the pinstripes going horizontally, instead of vertically. Both Radar and Hawkeye collapse in laughter.

Hawkeye: He's a great tailor, but he's got a lousy sense of direction.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

The infamous sign from The Simpsons:

SNEED'S FEED & SEED

(formerly Chuck's)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Two more M*A*S*H one-liners I've always loved, and oddly enough, they're both from the "Officer of the Day" episode:

A Korean has shown up for medical attention, and shows his ID card. His name is Kim Luck. Hawkeye remarks to Radar that's the second Kim Luck they've seen today.

Hawkeye (to Korean): Can you identify yourself?

Korean (thumps chest, smiles): This is me!

Hawkeye: Well, I guess you wouldn't kid me about a thing like that.

I still use the "This is me" line when I'm asked for identification sometimes.

At the end of the day, Hawkeye is dictating his report to Radar. Trapper sticks his head around the door, and asks if they want to see the greatest pinstripe suit of all time. (He'd commissioned a Korean tailor to make one for him.) He walks in and models the suit, which has the pinstripes going horizontally, instead of vertically. Both Radar and Hawkeye collapse in laughter.

Hawkeye: He's a great tailor, but he's got a lousy sense of direction.
The last line in that exchange actually bugged me because I felt it was an overdub to explain the joke (in case people didn't notice the pinstripes being screwed up).

Note the earlier reference explains the Kim Lucky day joke which someone above didn't understand. (I too use the "this is me" line).
-IQ
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Seinfeld was full of jokes no one would get unless they were familiar with the backlog of episodes.

My favorite so far came when Kramer and Newman were hiring homeless guys to pull rickshaws in NYC. One of the men was named Rusty:

KRAMER: Oh, I once knew a horse named Rusty!

SPOILER:
Rusty was the horse Kramer fed Beef-a-Reeno to when he was a Hansom cab driver. The horse became unbearably flatulent right in the middle of an important fare (the late Susan Ross's parents).

Cough and you would have missed it. I laughed out loud!
One of my favorite Seinfeld callbacks is the episode when Mr. Lippman decides to open the muffin top bakery and Elaine is giving him advice on how to run the business.

Elaine: And one more thing. It's not "Top of the Muffin... TO YA!!"

Mr. Lippman: Yes! It is!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 AM

There was an episode of Wings where the two pilots are stuck on the tarmac with some incredibly annoying guy who keeps asking things. One of his questions was "If you were bitten by a monkey, what sort of medicine would they give you?"

Later he says "My mother always said there's no stupid questions" to which one of the brothers quips "Did you ever ask her the one about the monkey?" To this day, that's my immediate thought when I hear that there's no dumb questions.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

From Night Court, when a man is in court because a customer complained that while he was blowing up his sex doll, she "busted a boob."

Manufacturer: These dolls are sturdy. See, I'll blow up one now.
Dan: Do you know how long that is going to take?
Judge Harry: No. (long pause) But I bet you do.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
From Night Court, when a man is in court because a customer complained that while he was blowing up his sex doll, she "busted a boob."

Manufacturer: These dolls are sturdy. See, I'll blow up one now.
Dan: Do you know how long that is going to take?
Judge Harry: No. (long pause) But I bet you do.
One joke from Night Court that sticks in my mind was nonverbal:

The defendant is a little old lady with a husky voice. She identifies herself as Miss So-and-So from a sex hotline.

Dan reacts immediately by turning to look at her in open-mouthed shock, as if to say "You're Miss So-and-So?!?" .

Got a huge roar from the audience!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
When the guys are trying to help Sheldon overcome his fear of public speaking, referring to themselves as his "X-men." Sheldon responds "X-men were named for Professor Xavier's last name. Since my last name is Cooper, you are my C-men."

There is a long silence before Wolowitz says "That is not a good name."
Then, of course, there's the classic bit where Sheldon, Howard, and Raj are playing an RPG where they're building settlements:

SHELDON: I need wood. Do either of you guys have wood?

Howard and Raj start laughing. Sheldon's oblivious to the humor.

SHELDON: What are you laughing at? Come on, I need wood for my erection.

A few minutes go by, and they go off on another topic. Finally, after a moment of silence:

SHELDON: Now, then: Who here has wood?

I know this is junior-high grade humor, but I almost fell out of my chair laughing!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Seinfeld also occasionally had a joke that you'd have to be a New Yorker to get. My favorite was the episode in which Kramer gets lost in downtown and calls Jerry for help. Jerry asks him if he can point out any recognizable landmarks.

Kramer: "I'm outside a "Ray's Pizza"!

Jerry: "Is it Original or Famous?"

The joke being that in NY, there is (or at least was in the 1990s) a "Ray's Pizza" on practically every corner in Manhattan. They were all different, independent stores with the same name, although they had some variation on the terms "original", "famous" in their name: "Famous Ray's Pizza", "Ray's Famous Original Pizza", "Original Ray's Famous Pizza", etc.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Mahaloth:

It sounds like "our lucky day", except he added the first name of the Korean(s) whose last name is (supposedly) "Luck".
Thanks for explaining "Kim Luck-y day;" first round at Rosie's is on me (grape Nehi, anyone?)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:

SNEED'S FEED & SEED

(formerly Chuck's)
Let's not forget

KRUSTY'S KRAZY KWANZAA!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:

SNEED'S FEED & SEED

(formerly Chuck's)
Unpopular? That's all over 4chan!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 AM

In the Seinfeld episode where George has to pick up Mr. Steinbrenner's lunch, he drops money in the restaurant tip jar, but the worker doesn't notice. George is complaining to Jerry that the whole point of the tip is that the person sees you giving it.

Jerry: "So you don't make a habit of giving to the blind."

George: "Not bills."
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM

Another from M*A*S*H:

Radar: [as Hawkeye and Trapper wrestle with Frank Burns, for his battery-warmed socks] They're hunting socks, sir.

Henry Blake: At this hour?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM

There’s an episode of Futurama, where a robot has a “Bot Mitzva.”
During the party, there is a banner with Hebrew on it in the background.
I was watching this with a friend, and I said “hey, pause that!”
Even with my grade-school Hebrew education, I could figure out that it said “Today you are a Robot."
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 AM

My favorite joke of all time that went by unnoticed was in the Spongebob Squarepants Movie (ok it's a move, but it's based off a tv show).

SB and Patrick are filling up their burger car at a gas station and these two hillbilly-like fish are making fun of them for various reasons. This exchange happens:

Patrick: Are they laughing at us, Spongebob?
SB: Noooo Patrick, they're laughing next to us.

No one in the theater laughed but me. It's a preposition joke!

Also, while I'm already cheating, second-funniest-joke-ever came from Monsters vs. Aliens where the Creature from the Black Lagoon guy comes out of hiding after 20 years and says "Man it's hot, is it hot? Did the globe get warmer? Because that'd be a real convenient truth."
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
There’s an episode of Futurama, where a robot has a “Bot Mitzva.”
During the party, there is a banner with Hebrew on it in the background.
I was watching this with a friend, and I said “hey, pause that!”
Even with my grade-school Hebrew education, I could figure out that it said “Today you are a Robot."
Was it a girl robot? Double whammy joke.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM

Going way back: On That Girl, Don Hollinger has just been introduced to Nigel Prince, the English photographer who eventually falls in love with Ann:

NIGEL: Hollinger, Hollinger ... I once knew a polo player named Hollinger.

DON: I once knew a dog named Prince.

Last edited by terentii; 05-22-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Still one of my favorites!

As was "Tuttle," in which Hawkeye and Trapper had made up a fictitious surgeon named Tuttle, in order to donate his salary to an orphanage. When the gag spirals out of control, they "kill off" Tuttle, and Hawkeye speaks at the memorial service:

Didn't the end credits also list Tuttle as himself?
Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
Didn't the end credits also list Tuttle as himself?
Indeed, they did.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0638468/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Old 05-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

One of my favorites is from House MD:

Cameron (coming in with Foreman and Chase): We've got rectal bleeding.
House: What, all of you?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Batman:
The villain is about to transform Batgirl into a flat piece of paper, the male sidekick eyes her and says. "What a shame."
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM

The Flintstones were mostly unfunny rote Hanna-Barberra style jokes. There was one though that had perfect comic delivery and timing...Fred's "I was a slug" line was delivered with perfection.

Fred Flintstone:
Well one year I was in the spring play at Public School 158.

Television Producer:
And you were Hamlet? Romeo? King Arthur?

Fred Flintstone:
No, none of those things. Some of the kids were trees, some were flowers, some were butterflies...

Television Producer:
And what were you?

Fred Flintstone:
I was a slug.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 PM

More Batman:

Catwoman (Julie Newmar) is coming on to the Caped Crusader, and he's trying hard to fight temptation:

BATMAN:
But what about Robin?

CATWOMAN: Robin? We'll kill him.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

More Batman:

That's all water over the .... embankment, Robin.

SPOILER:
Because Batman would never say "dam."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:08 PM

MTM: Ted is visiting Lou in the hospital after he's had surgery to remove an old piece of shrapnel from his body:

TED:
How come you never told us anything about it, Lou?

LOU: (Shrugs) What was there to tell? It was World War II ... France....

TED: Rotten Nips!

Last edited by terentii; 05-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Bart has exchanged the choir's religious music with "Inna Gotta Davida"; it slips by the Reverend at the beginning "In the garden of eden, baby, don'cha know that I love you..."

Homer: Hey Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Bart has exchanged the choir's religious music with "Inna Gotta Davida"; it slips by the Reverend at the beginning "In the garden of eden, baby, don'cha know that I love you..."

Homer: Hey Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn?
I still use "Isn't that "rock, and or, roll"?"
Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 PM

Sheesh, so many. I'll throw in my favorite Night Court exchange:

(setup - a Japanese man who was supposed to be honored at a dinner with the governor dropped dead in the courtroom. His body was put in a wheelchair and Bull was supposed to bring it to the morgue. But the wheelchair was electric, and a kid turned it on, sending it into an elevator while Bull's back was turned)

Harry: Bull, how do you lose a dead Japanese industrialist?
Bull (sheepishly): He outsmarted me, sir.
Harry: Outsmarted you?? A corpse is a corpse!
Dan: Of course, of course.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 05-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I still use "Isn't that "rock, and or, roll"?"
Also from The Simpsons: "This Friday you will have the chance to 'party down' in the church basement with the Jesus rock stylings of Testament."

I've actually had people try and convince me that this wasn't a reference to the *real* Testament and was just a coincidence, which is plain silly.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Another from M*A*S*H:

Radar: [as Hawkeye and Trapper wrestle with Frank Burns, for his battery-warmed socks] They're hunting socks, sir.

Henry Blake: At this hour?
Same episode (they all have to share a tent because of a shortage of heating oil during a brutal winter), Frank Burns comes into the tent carrying a rifle.

Hawkeye: Chickie, the house dick!

I don't know why, but that one still makes me laugh!
Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Sheesh, so many. I'll throw in my favorite Night Court exchange:

I like this one:

[Christine is stuck in the elevator, in labor]

Harry Stone: Is there room for a person to lie down in there?

Dan Fielding: Full-grown man, two women, and a midget with a camera.

But I'm pretty sure that Dan's line concludes with "...but that's just an estimate!" after half a beat.