Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 AM

Did the US secret police fail in its duty of maintaining regime stability during the 2016 election?

Bit of a rant I guess.

The role of secret police is to maintain the stability of the domestic regime. Opposition should be carefully controlled and infiltrated in order to maintain that stability. Also, the appearance of political integrity must be maintained, especially in a western democracy like the US.

The presidency of Donald Trump is not good for the stability of the US government. He makes a mockery of the institution. This cripples the ability of the government to act.

In the past, the US secret police has done a good job of maintaining the stability of the US government. Hardy veterans of WWII, who flooded the nascent "intelligence community", were effective in disseminating propaganda and infiltrating dissident groups. A guy like J. Edgar Hoover operated effectively for decades. Operation Mockingbird was a smashing success.

Something about the 2016 election didn't sit well. The effort by the secret police in debilitating the Trump phenomenon was feeble. Has the growth of "new media" limited the ability of the secret police to operate effectively?

On one hand, I would say that this is the case. On the other hand, Trump has been kind to the establishment (in as much as it even still exists), so perhaps I am underestimating the secret police. Many problems for future presidents will easily be blamed on the clown Trump, which is a bonus. Obama and Bush Jr. will be elevated. Two scions of the American political class.

We had some feeble meddling by a foreign intelligence asset (Steele) linked closely with American intelligence. We have this goof Halper who has been dirty since the 1980 election. We have Clapper who perjured himself years ago. We have Brennan, a torture apologist turned election meddler turned drunken twitter troll. We have Haspel, a hands-on torturer. Is this the dream team or what?

In terms of credibility, the US government has to be at sub-Watergate levels. Will they be able to maintain stability without resorting to unsanitized violence? Has laissez-faire capitalism knee-capped the political establishment?

How are the Democratic CIA agents doing in the primaries? Is this the recovery effort?

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Mental wounds not healing / Life's a bitter shame
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
Old 05-21-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Secret police? Which ones are they again?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Bit of a rant I guess.
You guess?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Mental wounds not healing / Life's a bitter shame
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train
Username is all I need to know about your attention span.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Same question.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 AM

...here is wiki's curated list of Secret Police organizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._organizations

And here is their list of fictional Secret Police organizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._organizations

So would you care to share exactly what "US secret police" you are talking about?

Are they so secret they don't have a name?

There don't appear to be any real US secret police organizations. So are you talking about Division? The Earth Protection Force? The Kingsman? THRUSH? Or would you believe...CONTROL?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Can't tell you. It's a secret.

Seriously though, the OP relies on so many extraordinary and unsupported premises that the questions posed are virtually unanswerable in any substantive way, in the same way that asking us what the Illuminati or the Martians or the Elders of Zion are planning on doing with regard to the Trump administration is unanswerable.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
The cops in my neighborhood all have blue lights on their front porches, so I know it isn't them.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM

One could use context clues to determine which agencies I consider to be secret police. One could also use common sense.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
One could use context clues to determine which agencies I consider to be secret police. One could also use common sense.
One could also stop blowing smoke out one's ass and just answer the question.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:21 AM

Unless they're double agent secret police, in which case the blue porch lights are trickery.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

One could assume that you are refusing to name this "secret police" because to do so would make you look like an paranoid idiot to those who aren't in your political spectrum.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
{...} to do so would make you, WillFarnaby, look like an paranoid idiot to those who aren't in your political spectrum.
{Blue} = CMC
Ohh, we're well past that point . . . even for those who are in his "political spectrum".

CMC fnord!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

How's the bunker dig coming along? Get all your urine jars filled yet? You can never have too many.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I found reference to the term "Democratic CIA agents" here.
It's no wonder you are being vague as fuck.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

For all you know, OP, all that in your rant may be just what they want you to believe...

Layman hypotheses about the Deep State Theory are fun, but useless in figuring out how the real Deep State works (just right off the bat, the premise of a deliberate coordinated, directed, teleological vision).
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 AM

The secret police are still chugging along as always. Everything from 2016 on has been part of their plan -- destabilize American society, and thus potential world unity, in preparation for an interstellar invasion by the Reptilians. We should welcome this, in fact, as the Reptilians will usher in global peace and advanced technology that will turn Earth into a utopia, and the only price will be the occasional tasty sacrifice for the distinguishing palates of our Reptilian overlords.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Y'all, Ima give away the secret: the secret police are the FBI, who are totally secret and nobody knows about them at all. I guess they're secret because they don't always reveal everything they know about an investigation. Maybe that's right, or maybe not: it's a secret!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

We didn't fail. We were holed up in Aspen working on our next studio album which will be released in 4Q 2018.

Bubbadog
Lead Vocals / Rhythm Guitar
- The Secret Police -

Last edited by BubbaDog; 05-21-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I know a secret cop who serves on the secret police. I asked him this question, he told me they were too busy arresting shoplifters at Walmart.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM

They can't be usurping our country, they are too busy planning for the Ball: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...27s_Ball_(1979) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...27s_Other_Ball

Will F., bad mushrooms on the pizza last night?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 AM

If by "Secret Police" you mean Henry Padovani, I don't think it's a secret at all.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
They can't be usurping our country, they are too busy planning for the Ball: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...27s_Ball_(1979) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Se...27s_Other_Ball

Will F., bad mushrooms on the pizza last night?
No, they were the best kind,
Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The role of secret police is to maintain the stability of the domestic regime. Opposition should be carefully controlled and infiltrated in order to maintain that stability.
No.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM

Very brave of you, WillFarnaby. You know they're going to be out to silence you now. Do check in every once in a while to let us know you're all right.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I found reference to the term "Democratic CIA agents" here.
It's no wonder you are being vague as fuck.
Straight from the CIA house organ:

“Don’t fear, we are on our way to save the day.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cfa6a932d247
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I genuinely worry that WillFarnaby may snap sometime and go hurt people. I'm not kidding.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

EX-CIA agents.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
EX-CIA agents.
Oh, come now. You know very well that once you're in, you'll never really ever be back out again .
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:

No, that's Mighty Mouse.

Seriously, if the Deep State was trying to keep Dumb Donald out of the White House, would they announce just before the election that they were re-opening an investigation into Hillary while simultaneously keeping their mouth shut about an ongoing investigation into her opponent? The answer is not "they might rabbit, they might".
Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 AM

In an attempt to squeeze whatever limited value that can be had out of this ludicrous thread, one could posit that in previous elections there was a certain amount of inertia and/or preference for the status quo which was maintained (individually, but with enough individuals doing so to have a significant effect) by both the politicians wishing to maintain the conditions that led to them being in power and the large political donors who similarly benefitted from the system as it stood. In the most recent election the Tea Party and Freedom Coalition and similar types, with Trump as Lord of Chaos and aided in a large way by the Russians who continue to foment unrest, division and a general breakdown of Western civilization, were sufficiently in the ascendant to overcome that inertia, particularly as the checks and balances which have previously tempered such behaviors have also broken down.

To the extent this is a coordinated state of affairs, the Russians are certainly actively working to stir the shit, and various politicians and billionaires are taking advantage of the situation to increase their wealth and power. But there are no "secret police" on either side of the equation, and if the CIA are running as Democrats I'd have to see something a little more substantial to support that assertion than the usual internet lunacy that also brought us Pizzagate and 9/11 Trutherism.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
We didn't fail. We were holed up in Aspen working on our next studio album which will be released in 4Q 2018.

Bubbadog
Lead Vocals / Rhythm Guitar
- The Secret Police -
I hope that's a Police cover band where all the albums are Police songs played backwards.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The presidency of Donald Trump is not good for the stability of the US government. He makes a mockery of the institution. This cripples the ability of the government to act.
To believe that the 'Secret Police' set out to lose the election for Trump requires you to buy into his myth that he is an extraordinary maverick, and not part of the ill-defined 'elite' controlling the country. Seems to me that his USP is just being extraordinarily crass, with predictable right-wing policies (e.g. profit before safe-guarding, low taxes, etc).

Do you believe that the Secret Police are only rolled out in the event of a massive wanker making a run for office?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I genuinely worry that WillFarnaby may snap sometime and go hurt people. I'm not kidding.
Lol. Characterizing a stridently anti-violence position as somehow dangerous is the work of propaganda.

You never said which government agency you work for.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-21-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
To believe that the 'Secret Police' set out to lose the election for Trump requires you to buy into his myth that he is an extraordinary maverick, and not part of the ill-defined 'elite' controlling the country. Seems to me that his USP is just being extraordinarily crass, with predictable right-wing policies (e.g. profit before safe-guarding, low taxes, etc).

Do you believe that the Secret Police are only rolled out in the event of a massive wanker making a run for office?
The hell you talkin bout?

Stop trying to make “profit before safe-guarding” happen.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
In an attempt to squeeze whatever limited value that can be had out of this ludicrous thread, one could posit that in previous elections there was a certain amount of inertia and/or preference for the status quo which was maintained (individually, but with enough individuals doing so to have a significant effect) by both the politicians wishing to maintain the conditions that led to them being in power and the large political donors who similarly benefitted from the system as it stood. In the most recent election the Tea Party and Freedom Coalition and similar types, with Trump as Lord of Chaos and aided in a large way by the Russians who continue to foment unrest, division and a general breakdown of Western civilization, were sufficiently in the ascendant to overcome that inertia, particularly as the checks and balances which have previously tempered such behaviors have also broken down.

To the extent this is a coordinated state of affairs, the Russians are certainly actively working to stir the shit, and various politicians and billionaires are taking advantage of the situation to increase their wealth and power. But there are no "secret police" on either side of the equation, and if the CIA are running as Democrats I'd have to see something a little more substantial to support that assertion than the usual internet lunacy that also brought us Pizzagate and 9/11 Trutherism.
The WP?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
No, that's Mighty Mouse.

Seriously, if the Deep State was trying to keep Dumb Donald out of the White House, would they announce just before the election that they were re-opening an investigation into Hillary while simultaneously keeping their mouth shut about an ongoing investigation into her opponent? The answer is not "they might rabbit, they might".
There were many leaders in the intelligence community who came out in direct opposition to Trump.

Comey was a news hound and a self-promoter. Another member of the Dream Team. You realize by pointing out the stupid decisions of the secret police you are supporting my thesis?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has the growth of "new media" limited the ability of the secret police to operate effectively?
Nah, they've just got a lot on their plate, what with running the Queen of England's drug-dealing operations and whatnot.

Last edited by Steve MB; 05-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Let's hope that his parents, or whoever owns the house where he lives in the basement, keep any guns they have securely locked up!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Best Flan I've Ever Tried

FLAN
This recipe should be made at least one day before serving. We recommend an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this recipe. If your pan is 9 by 5 inches, begin checking for doneness at 1 hour. You may substitute 2 percent milk for the whole milk, but do not use skim milk. Serve the flan on a platter with a raised rim to contain the liquid caramel.
INGREDIENTS
• 2/3cup (4 2/3 ounces) sugar
• 2large eggs plus 5 yolks
• 1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk
• 1/2cup whole milk
• 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla extract
• 1/2teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
1. 1. Stir together sugar and 1/4 cup water in medium heavy saucepan until sugar is completely moistened. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, and cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to turn golden, another 1 to 2 minutes. Gently swirling pan, continue to cook until sugar is color of peanut butter, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl pan until sugar is reddish-amber and fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully swirl in 2 tablespoons warm tap water until incorporated; mixture will bubble and steam. Pour caramel into 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan; do not scrape out saucepan. Set loaf pan aside.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking pan with dish towel, folding towel to fit smoothly, and set aside. Bring 2 quarts water to boil.
3. Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl until combined. Add sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, and salt and whisk until incorporated. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into prepared loaf pan.
4. Cover loaf pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in prepared baking pan. Place baking pan in oven and carefully pour all of boiling water into pan. Bake until center of custard jiggles slightly when shaken and custard registers 180 degrees, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and leave custard in water bath until loaf pan has cooled completely. Remove loaf pan from water bath, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight or up to 4 days.
5. To unmold, slide paring knife around edges of pan. Invert serving platter on top of pan and turn pan and platter over. When flan is released, remove loaf pan. Using rubber spatula, scrape residual caramel onto flan. Slice and serve. (Leftover flan may be covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

From America's Test Kitchen

Last edited by Mind's Eye, Watering; 05-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Let's hope that his parents, or whoever owns the house where he lives in the basement, keep any guns they have securely locked up!
Yes, 83,034, another excellent post!

Please beat more of these tired jokes into the ground for me if you have any spare time.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 05-21-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
FLAN
This recipe should be made at least one day before serving. We recommend an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this recipe. If your pan is 9 by 5 inches, begin checking for doneness at 1 hour. You may substitute 2 percent milk for the whole milk, but do not use skim milk. Serve the flan on a platter with a raised rim to contain the liquid caramel.
INGREDIENTS
• 2/3cup (4 2/3 ounces) sugar
• 2large eggs plus 5 yolks
• 1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 1(12-ounce) can evaporated milk
• 1/2cup whole milk
• 1 1/2tablespoons vanilla extract
• 1/2teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
1. 1. Stir together sugar and 1/4 cup water in medium heavy saucepan until sugar is completely moistened. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, 3 to 5 minutes, and cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to turn golden, another 1 to 2 minutes. Gently swirling pan, continue to cook until sugar is color of peanut butter, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl pan until sugar is reddish-amber and fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully swirl in 2 tablespoons warm tap water until incorporated; mixture will bubble and steam. Pour caramel into 8 1/2 by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan; do not scrape out saucepan. Set loaf pan aside.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Line bottom of 13 by 9-inch baking pan with dish towel, folding towel to fit smoothly, and set aside. Bring 2 quarts water to boil.
3. Whisk eggs and yolks in large bowl until combined. Add sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, and salt and whisk until incorporated. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into prepared loaf pan.
4. Cover loaf pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in prepared baking pan. Place baking pan in oven and carefully pour all of boiling water into pan. Bake until center of custard jiggles slightly when shaken and custard registers 180 degrees, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and leave custard in water bath until loaf pan has cooled completely. Remove loaf pan from water bath, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight or up to 4 days.
5. To unmold, slide paring knife around edges of pan. Invert serving platter on top of pan and turn pan and platter over. When flan is released, remove loaf pan. Using rubber spatula, scrape residual caramel onto flan. Slice and serve. (Leftover flan may be covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 4 days.)

From America's Test Kitchen
Tres Leches next please.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
If one could so easily discover the secret police, they aren't so secret any more.

George HW Bush was CIA. So were a lot of federal office holders. You're just realizing this now?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

If they are secret, then how do YOU know about them?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The WP?
You said "Democratic CIA agents". That article lists three people who at some point worked for the CIA, including one who spent four years there and left in 2002 (and is now a high school history teacher). All of them had left the agency before Trump was a candidate. Three former employees across the entire country is not a "recovery effort" and is certainly not any form of evidence of a co-ordinated CIA campaign, if that's what you mean to imply. The article also mentions a couple of Republican candidates (one incumbent, one not-yet-announced) with a CIA background. Are they part of the same "recovery effort"?

And the reason people are concerned for your well-being and that of those around you isn't because we're all trying to "silence the truth". It's because you sound like a stereotypical tinfoil-hat-wearing paranoid conspiracy theorist in pretty much all your posts, to a genuinely worrying degree.

In conclusion: I too like flan.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
EX-CIA agents.
Running on a reform platform to oust Haspel no doubt.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM

I'm just curious WF, do you take karate lessons from an old man in Houston?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
You said "Democratic CIA agents". That article lists three people who at some point worked for the CIA, including one who spent four years there and left in 2002 (and is now a high school history teacher). All of them had left the agency before Trump was a candidate. Three former employees across the entire country is not a "recovery effort" and is certainly not any form of evidence of a co-ordinated CIA campaign, if that's what you mean to imply. The article also mentions a couple of Republican candidates (one incumbent, one not-yet-announced) with a CIA background. Are they part of the same "recovery effort"?

And the reason people are concerned for your well-being and that of those around you isn't because we're all trying to "silence the truth". It's because you sound like a stereotypical tinfoil-hat-wearing paranoid conspiracy theorist in pretty much all your posts, to a genuinely worrying degree.

In conclusion: I too like flan.
Conspiracy theorist?

How so?

If it’s not a recovery effort, so be it. JAQ.