Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Get ready for a snowflake storm, Netflix has signed a deal with the Obamas

And the tighty righties are throwing a fit and proclaiming they're boycotting Netflix.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Seems like many rightees idea of boycotting is to buy the product and then shoot it. I wonder if that will continue here.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:43 PM

New York Times article for details ... I hope the Obamas make good money on this deal ...
Old 05-21-2018, 12:45 PM

If only conservatives had access to a means of producing content, sharing it publicly, and being compensated based on the number of people who accessed the content, then surely their high quality work would become so popular that inferior content would eventually disappear from the market. I would like to see some distribution method, perhaps leveraging "the World Wide Web" and "cloud computing", along with easy and affordable access to decent quality audio video equipment, so that producing quality content would be within reach of many, many people. Then, we'd have an open marketplace of ideas that would reward producers of the most popular content. One day, perhaps there would be some kind of revenue sharing model, where businesses would offer to host this content, run ads, and share ad revenue with the producers. This level playing field would benefit everyone, and I'd be in favor of it, even if quality conservative content started to crowd out the liberal content I'd generally prefer. I guess we'll have to wait for that day to come.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
And the tighty righties are throwing a fit and proclaiming they're boycotting Netflix.
Must be a double secret boycott, since they are already boycotting Netflix over the appointment of Obama-era official Susan Rice to the Netflix board of directors.

http://www.newsweek.com/netflix-boyc...rectors-866291
Old 05-21-2018, 01:45 PM

I wonder if our resident 'All boycotts are bad' rightie will manage to denounce this.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited by Chimera; 05-21-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

But I'm already boycotting them for not renewing Disjointed.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Get ready for a snowflake storm, Netflix has signed a deal with the Obamas
So, a documentary on Global Warming is first up?

Obamanation - the story you have yeti to hear?

Last edited by simster; 05-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

It's only fair. I've watched at least two documentaries on Netflix about Donald Trump's history of fucking people over and being an inveterate asshole his entire life. Why should he get all the publicity?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Remaster Superfly with the lead actor rendered into a young Barry Obama by computer graphics! Sell it to millions as a joke, and millions as a documentary!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Meh, this righty doesn't care. Netflix is a tremendous value and an innovative business. It does suck that they pulled x-files, family guy and american dad a few months ago but there is plenty of stuff to watch on it.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM

How else to stay current with cutting edge developments in Serbo-Croatian cinema?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
Meh, this righty doesn't care. Netflix is a tremendous value and an innovative business. It does suck that they pulled x-files, family guy and american dad a few months ago but there is plenty of stuff to watch on it.
To be fair it is not Netflix pulling things from their line-up. It is whoever owns those shows pulling them back (usually to fill out their own streaming services).
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Maybe they could call it Apprentice President.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

But wait, I thought we were the snowflakes.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 PM

'Pubs boycotting Netflix? Good. Lower rates for us.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
It's only fair. I've watched at least two documentaries on Netflix about Donald Trump's history of fucking people over and being an inveterate asshole his entire life. Why should he get all the publicity?
Those weren't documentaries. It was a Back to the Future double bill.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The comments on Breitbart are delicious. The wingnuts can’t decide whether Obama should be executed, jailed, or executed and then dug up and put in jail.

Also, Michelle is really a man, and has a large behind.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 PM

Yeah, I've had a busy day recreationally blocking people on FB and Twitter for those kinds of comments.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Maybe they could call it Apprentice President.

It'd be great if Mr Steadfast Mueller was the one who got to say "You're fired!".
Old 05-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Seems like many rightees idea of boycotting is to buy the product and then shoot it. I wonder if that will continue here.
You see, they've decided not to buy anything from companies advertising on Netflix.
We liberals made it work on Fox News, after all.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionizer View Post
It'd be great if Mr Steadfast Mueller was the one who got to say "You're fired!".
I bet Obama would do it.

And then Hillary gets to lock him up.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
If only conservatives had access to a means of producing content, sharing it publicly, and being compensated based on the number of people who accessed the content, then surely their high quality work would become so popular that inferior content would eventually disappear from the market.

<snip>

I guess we'll have to wait for that day to come.

When Dennis Miller is writing the jokes, that day will never come.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
To be fair it is not Netflix pulling things from their line-up. It is whoever owns those shows pulling them back (usually to fill out their own streaming services).
Ya know, I thought that may be it, like the rights to use the shows or whatnot have expired...

Netflix is still awesome though. Wish I would have invested in them while they were still primarily mail-order DVD's... Damn!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
When Dennis Miller is writing the jokes, that day will never come.
I hope it doesn't. Dennis Miller's comedy was the dryest and most boring humor I've ever witnessed.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 AM

1) Politician shows almost always suck. It's usually fluff about "family" or "leadership". At best, we'll get something like An Inconvenient Truth, which at least was willing to polarize. What I really want are some of the ideas being floated on Twitter, like an Obama/Adam Sandler buddy movie.

2) I'm sounding like a broken record here, but this "boycott anything I don't agree with to get it removed from TV" is insane. The logical conclusion is that nothing controversial can ever be on TV. What are we, all the Parents Television Council now? Are we all Tipper Gore?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
If only conservatives had access to a means of producing content, sharing it publicly, and being compensated based on the number of people who accessed the content, then surely their high quality work would become so popular that inferior content would eventually disappear from the market.

Why not? It worked so well for the Sad Puppies...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 AM

He should host a reality show about people cooperating then getting jobs for being team players. The tag line: "You're HIRED.".
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Why not? It worked so well for the Sad Puppies...
"No award."
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 AM

I'm a skier, so bring on the snowflake storm!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I'm a skier, so bring on the snowflake storm!
It might be the only source of fresh powder in the future.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
I hope it doesn't. Dennis Miller's comedy was the dryest and most boring humor I've ever witnessed.
And yet he's still funnier than the OTHER right-wing comedian, Greg Gutfeld of Fox News' "Red Eye".
Old 05-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
But wait, I thought we were the snowflakes.
No, Republicans are the snowflakes. They're white; they're cold; and if you get enough of them in one place they shut down the schools.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
No, Republicans are the snowflakes. They're white; they're cold; and if you get enough of them in one place they shut down the schools.
you win the thread.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Can someone explain the mouth-frothing hatred many conservatives seem to have toward the Obamas? I understand disagreeing with Barack's policies, but for eight years he was a dignified leader who conducted himself with civility and fairness. And what did Michelle ever do to hurt anyone? Please don't say it's just racism. I know that's a factor, but I can't believe that's all it is.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
Can someone explain the mouth-frothing hatred many conservatives seem to have toward the Obamas? I understand disagreeing with Barack's policies, but for eight years he was a dignified leader who conducted himself with civility and fairness. And what did Michelle ever do to hurt anyone? Please don't say it's just racism. I know that's a factor, but I can't believe that's all it is.
I can't imagine it's anything more than politics. Just a simple 'That person isn't on my side of the aisle, therefore they're a garbage person and anything they say or do I'm going to oppose'.

Honestly, people go out of their way to say awful things about the other side without even a)thinking and b)making sure someone on their side didn't do the same exact thing already.

My favorite example was when Obama did a kinda half-assed salute as he was getting off a helicopter. The right went ballistic. Some of my FB friends were whining about this, but when I pointed out that Bush did literally the exact same thing, I was quickly dismissed.

If everyone would just take 2 steps towards the middle and think before..well, before anything, a lot of this stuff would be a lot easier.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Please don't say it's just racism. I know that's a factor, but I can't believe that's all it is.
I hate to break it to you...

Naah, it was a combo of the racism and the (D) after his name.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Well racism was a big part of it, but I think its also that Obama was the first Democratic president to come in the era of new Media and a win at all costs permanent Republican majority strategy on the right. This allowed people on the right to live in an echo chamber where the Obama wasn't just wrong but was anl abominations such as has never been seen before, and their representatives would agree.

It would be nice to be in a position to say that Democrats do better, but unfortunately the current president really is an abomination such has never been seen before. So people who aren't paying attention can say both sides are all the same.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
It would be nice to be in a position to say that Democrats do better, but unfortunately the current president really is an abomination such has never been seen before. So people who aren't paying attention can say both sides are all the same.
Exactly. I believe Trump deserves all the hatred I can throw his way, but I can't believe millions of Americans felt that way about Obama. I mean, in eight years he didn't commit the offenses against basic humanity that Trump commits every day.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Obama's primary offense is/was being black. He compounded that by going to Harvard, which makes him worse than being a black man-- it confirms that he's an UPPITY black man, the worst kind. The kind that doesn't know and keep in His Place. And then he married a woman who also went to Harvard! Who the fuck do they think they are? They seem to think they're as good as White People!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Obama's primary offense is/was being black. He compounded that by going to Harvard, which makes him worse than being a black man-- it confirms that he's an UPPITY black man, the worst kind. The kind that doesn't know and keep in His Place. And then he married a woman who also went to Harvard! Who the fuck do they think they are? They seem to think they're as good as White People!
Can you imagine the outrage if you changed "went to Harvard" for "on (or even was on) welfare".
Old 05-23-2018, 02:10 PM

My money's on Barack directing S3 of Jessica Jones. That Marvel shit is where it's at!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
My money's on Barack directing S3 of Jessica Jones. That Marvel shit is where it's at!
I can see that. The Punisher is definitely not his style.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Can you imagine the outrage if you changed "went to Harvard" for "on (or even was on) welfare".
Can you imagine the outrage if he had five children by three different women like Donald Trump?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Can you imagine the outrage if ...
... he insulted John McCain?
... he ordered an investigation into the investigator investigating him?
... he played golf 100 times his first year in office?

Where do you stop?

Last edited by Akaj; 05-23-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
you win the thread.
Hell, he wins the internet for the day.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stolen. And already on my Facebook feed.

Better (and easier) to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The key to your confusion is their claiming to be "conservatives." They are reactionaries, pure and simple, and if you correct for them, you'll find that actual conservatives likely concede that President Obama's North, while it may have been NNE or NNW, at least wasn't South, as it is for the America-hating fuckstick.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The key to your confusion is their claiming to be "conservatives." They are reactionaries, pure and simple, and if you correct for them, you'll find that actual conservatives likely concede that President Obama's North, while it may have been NNE or NNW, at least wasn't South, as it is for the America-hating fuckstick.
Can you cite me any conservatives who have a positive view of Obama?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Probably. Name a few conservatives.