Old 06-16-2018, 03:18 PM

How did your ancestors handle the heat before air conditioning?

Does anyone have any good stories about how their ancestors handled it?

Did any families have a "summer kitchen"? Meaning they moved the stove outside in the summer?

Did people sleep down in their cellars?

Does anyone remember having a true "ice box" and getting ice from an ice man?

Did any families have a summer home?

Anyone?
Old 06-16-2018, 03:19 PM

By living in England.

It works.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 PM

My ancestors were Scandinavian, so, yeah, probably that. They say that Scandinavian summers are the best day in the entire year. I have no idea how they got through Arctic winters before electric lights and central heating, though; that's bad enough even these days.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Suffering through it was the standard approach.

Fans were traditionally used.

The air conditioner was probably the most significant factor as to why Florida grew in population from 2.8 million in 1950 to 21 million now.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:55 PM

I was almost eight years old before we got our first air conditioner in 1959. That was after we moved from the part of town where a fine canopy of old, large trees sheltered houses from the Alabama sun pretty well; everyone in that part of town depended on electric and hand powered fans. (Actually the two mom & pop grocery stores had A/C.)

It was mostly a matter of just sucking it up, taking naps during the hottest part of the day, moving slowly, staying in the shade, and doing as little strenuous work as possible.

The winters weren't a lot of fun, either.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:56 PM

For kids a lot more time spend in water.

Sleeping downstairs/in cooler areas was also common.

IDK about moving the stove outside, but certainly cooking outside.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I am 65. The house where I grew up did not have air conditioning at all' We had window fans and just pretty much put up with the heat. I married The Incomparable Sunflower when I was 22, and the apartment we moved into was the first place I lived that had central air conditioning.

(Sister Winifred said I would never learn to type....)
Old 06-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

By 'ancestors' are you just talking about parents/grandparents/great grandparents? I have no idea how my ancestors from 100's of years ago dealt with the heat, my my parents and grandparents would sleep on the porch or in a living room that had better airflow.

Some house are also designed around not having AC. For example, shotgun houses have a door and window in the front and door/window at the rear. Opening both of them will allow air to flow straight through. Similarly, you can open the windows on either side if the breeze is going that way (again, they're designed for that).
Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 PM

My Daddy's family slept on sleeping porches. The daytime was punctuated with an afternoon break where they all went to pond and swam. He remembered the first ice box they got. Before that perishables were kept in a spring house or down the well.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-16-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Ancestors? Heck, *I* grew up without air conditioning in the early sixties. We would run through a sprinkler in the yard, go to the local pool, go to the beach, go to the movies, go to the mall, anyplace cool. At night you slept with the windows open and a fan blowing.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:23 PM

My father's house was 1 and a half stories - bedrooms in the attic. They were too hot in summer, too cold in winter. In summer we slept on the porch, one bed and mattress on the floor for me. My uncle was in the curtain/shade business, and the porch had bamboo shades on three sides. When my father had the house insulated he had to add partitions to keep the upstairs from over-heating in the winter.
The old farmhouse next door had a second kitchen with second stove for summer. It also had a two-holer for winter use, with another outside down the walk for the rest of the year. The farmer thought butter-milk from the cool, earth-floored cellar was just the drink on a hot day. Men of the neighborhood cut ice from the mill pond and stored it in the sawdust packed ice house near us. Home made ice cream with local ice was just the thing in July.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I am 65. The house where I grew up did not have air conditioning at all'
Yeah, what's with the "ancestor" stuff? My family didn't have air conditioning until I was 11 years old.

The house I live in now, which was built in the 1950s, has a whole house fan, so we can keep a constant breeze going (which makes sleeping a lot more tolerable.) Otherwise, sleep outside.

In addition to what Joey P said, some older house had higher ceilings, transom windows above the doors, big wraparound porches and other features to funnel the worst heat away. Trees close to the house not only provide shade in summer, but can be a windbreak in winter.

The other thing to remember is that people acclimated to the heat. Hell, my grandparents were farmers, and my mother and her siblings literally grew up outside.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Yeah, what's with the "ancestor" stuff? My family didn't have air conditioning until I was 11 years old.
The house I live in now, which was built in the 1950s, has a whole house fan, so we can keep a constant breeze going (which makes sleeping a lot more tolerable.) Otherwise, sleep outside.

In addition to what Joey P said, some older house had higher ceilings, transom windows above the doors, big wraparound porches and other features to funnel the worst heat away. Trees close to the house not only provide shade in summer, but can be a windbreak in winter.

The other thing to remember is that people acclimated to the heat. Hell, my grandparents were farmers, and my mother and her siblings literally grew up outside. You do as much as you can in the morning (like cooking, which is one reason the midday meal was often the main meal) so you can take it easy during the worst heat.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

They also conserved energy by not double posting.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Nope! I said stop!

We did have air conditioning in the house we moved to when I was 9. But my mom kept a basement kitchen, both for overflow holiday cooking and to keep the house cool by cooking downstairs when it was hot out. We ran the AC, but they wanted to keep it to a minimum.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Speaking as a child ancestor here, we stayed in the cool concrete basement eating frozen grapes and watching tv.

In earlier times, we burrowed deep into the earth and estivated.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:21 PM

As some have alluded, one big thing that was different was the architecture. Some pioneers lived in dugouts. Even with more substantial homes, traditional architecture was tailored for the climate.

Here's a house from a hot climate.
http://chambersarchitects.com/wp-con...e-Chambers.jpg

Here's one from a cold climate, with lots of snow.
https://artsandcraftshomes.com/.imag...as-a-bread.jpg

The difference is like night and day.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:25 PM

We closed up the whole house before the sun came up, it wouldn't last all day but closing all the windows and drapes would buy you a few hours. We opened up the whole house when the sun went down. My dad would spray water all over the front porch where we had a big fan blowing in, kind of a fake swamp cooler. Sometimes we went to bed with a damp towel.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:32 PM

I first got air conditioning when I was 25 years old. I lived my first couple decades in Nevada with no air conditioning and lived to tell the tale.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:35 PM

In the south they dealt with the heat by building very high ceilings. Heat having a tendency to rise and all. Some places they have naps in the afternoon. On the Amazon they'll often spend the day in the water and come out at night. Here in Idaho we open the windows at night and close them when the day gets hot, and with ceiling fans. I don't have central a/c or central heating and we stay warm in the winter with wood fires.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:41 PM

I didn't live in a house with AC until I was fifteen years old 1985. For the most part, we just got through the summers by saying "ehh" and doing what we could to stay cool. For most of the summers, I just lived in the city swimming pool. At nights we just sweated in front of fans.

We did have an old fashioned ice box in the garage that was rarely used.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:42 PM

I heard that the southwest wasn't very populated until the appearance of air conditioning in the 50s and 60s. Does anyone know if that is true?

If so, people dealt with it by not living there.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:45 PM

My ancestors wintered in a cave in Florida. During the summer they moved north to a cave in the Catskills.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:54 PM

Heck, the house I live in now doesnít have air conditioning. On hot days we stay downstairs and use fans.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
My ancestors wintered in a cave in Florida. During the summer they moved north to a cave in the Catskills.
They sound like they belonged to some... tribe perhaps?

My people belonged to a similar tribe.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM

I went to college in Louisiana in the 1950s, there was no AC in any building. Buildings were designed to be usable without being constructed around the AC. Trees were left in place to shade the grounds. Sleeping in the dorms was always comfortable. Even cars had no AC yet, you open the windows and let the air blow through. You dress airy and move slowly. ROTC drill on the parade grounds 1-2pm, in uniform, you just do it.

I lived in Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee through the summers into the 60s, never had AC in my house or car or workplace. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, you just lived in it. Electric fans are helpful. Still you'd hear people fanning themselves saying "Ahd lahk to dahd". The heat was more of a useful excuse for inactivity, than a troublesome cause of it. I loved the South, loud with night sounds, pungent with blossoms. That's all gone now.

I've been in the Philippines for a year, coldest overnight low has been 77 I think. No AC, but with fans, I never feel uncomfortable in the house, where it's always 80+. Few people have AC, many who do hate to use it, they don't like the smell of the AC air.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-16-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

My ancestors handled it by living north of St. Petersburg. The one in Russia, not the one in Florida.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:40 PM

The house I grew up in didnít have air conditioning. My parents had a large wall unit in their bedroom, but rarely ran it, or only ran the fan. We all used fans and if it was so bad that my mom finally cracked and turned it on, I remember crashing on their bedroom floor. That is a trait I did not inherit from my mom. We have central air, and in the summer itís usually always on I cannot stand being too warm.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On my mother's side, one great-grandfather had two houses in the same town. The summer house was in a modestly cooler location across the road from a tidal river not far from a saltwater bay. That house had big screen windows and the kitchen was in a separate small building. The winter house was a few miles inland with small windows and had the kitchen inside the house.

On my father's side, my grandfather--when he could afford it--rented a lake cottage for the family, usually within 50 miles of wherever they were living at the time. The wife and kids stayed at the lake but he often had to stay at home and work except on weekends.

My own father was so cheap he would only air-condition one room of the house, and then only for the ragweed season (mid-August to late September). We lived in a brick house that soaked up the sun's heat during the day and never properly cooled off at night. He was even opposed to using fans because he thought they used too much electricity. Yes, it was miserable. We kids often slept in a tent in the back yard on the worst nights.

Last edited by bibliophage; 06-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:13 PM

By using fans and trying not to drown at Horseneck Beach.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
They sound like they belonged to some... tribe perhaps?

My people belonged to a similar tribe.
What is known about the tribe shows they were a highly ritualistic society with a number practices based on food and telling jokes.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 PM
born to be shunned

Air circulation. Most of our houses (the one I live in now is circa 1914) actually do pretty well as you have lots of doors and few "blank walls". You can make each floor almost one large room and take advantage of any breeze or night-time cooling you get. My Dad, in our 1950 vintage cheese-box we lived in when I was older, could put one fan on each floor drawing air from the basement and knock even 95+ days down to a not-bad level.

Hot showers before going to bed were another trick we used. I am still surprised how cool 90 felt after getting out of a steaming shower.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:36 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Ancestors??? My childhood home didn't have a/c. What we did have was a fan in the dining room that my mom would turn on at bedtime, blowing out. We would open the bedroom windows about 3-4" and the cooler night air would be drawn in. If it was really hot, I'd take a damp washcloth to bed and periodically wipe myself down.

You don't miss what you've never had.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 PM

My husband's parents had an attic fan. They were very late to air conditioning in their neighborhood. I think he was well into highschool before they got it.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I heard that the southwest wasn't very populated until the appearance of air conditioning in the 50s and 60s. Does anyone know if that is true?

Only by comparison to today's population figures.

Mexico, for instance, had more than 32 million people in 1955. That's more than today's population of Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc.
http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...co-population/

I can guarantee that no more than a very tiny handful had AC. And yet somehow they survived.

I guess that I (and some others) are going to have to keep repeating this until we're blue in the face--IT'S THE ARCHITECTURE!
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I grew up without air conditioning until I was 12 (1991). We spent the summer at the outdoor pool and had a large willow tree in the front yard that shaded the whole yard and the house.

When I went the band camp from 92-96, our dorms (at Slippery Rock U in Pennsylvania) didn’t have air conditioning. What a crock of shit, especially after marching all day. We took 3 showers a day and everyone had to bring their own box fan (one inside the room and one pointing out the window).

When I bought my house I thought I could live without air conditioning. I could not. Working from home all day without AC is way different than being at the pool all day. I had it installed by July.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I was born in 1961. The house I grew up in (in Michigan) was built in 1891. We didn't have air conditioning until we moved to Minneapolis in 1976. We had radiator heat for the winter and high ceilings, thick walls, window shades and windows that open in the summer. You'd cool the house down at night, then close it up and draw the shades during the day.

My current house was built in 1849. I have one window air conditioner, in my bedroom. I do much the same things we did when I was a kid.

StG
Old 06-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

It's absolutely true. Here's a handy chart that shows the population by state on graphs.

Sure, there were a lot of factors involved in post-WW2 population patterns -- Interstate highways, the growth of the petroleum industry, yadda yadda. But Maricopa County, Arizona doubled in population between 1950 and 1960, and that wouldn't have happened without A/C.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
As some have alluded, one big thing that was different was the architecture. Some pioneers lived in dugouts. Even with more substantial homes, traditional architecture was tailored for the climate.

Here's a house from a hot climate.
http://chambersarchitects.com/wp-con...e-Chambers.jpg

Here's one from a cold climate, with lots of snow.
https://artsandcraftshomes.com/.imag...as-a-bread.jpg

The difference is like night and day.
There are huts like the second house, all over the Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, and other Pacific and East Asian countries.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I've rarely lived in houses with air-con despite living in a region that can see summer temps top 35C for days on end. I don't even recall having a fan as a kid! My ancestors would have been similarly deprived.

Architecture in the Australian outback incorporated large verandahs right around the house that would allow the winter sun in and keep the scorching summer sun OUT. Often these verandahs were enclosed, and provided a cooler place to sleep once the sun had set. One renowned town, Coober Pedy, is famous for 'dugouts' and while they originally were just a space fashioned after an opal mine had been exhausted, nowadays they are quite spacious and luxurious with all the mod cons.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 PM

My father spoke about sleeping on the roof of the apartment building. Spent many Saturdays in movie theaters which were apparently cooler at least and swam in the polluted waters of the East River. Other than that, poor NYC dwellers did a lot of sweating.

My Grandfather from southern Italy just didn't seem to mind the heat much.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

My parents and grandparents went from steamy St. Louis to cooler northern Wisconsin for the summer. Not hard to do, since everyone in the family was either a student or a teacher, and when the students grew up, they became teachers.

Before my family got air conditioning (in St. Louis), we lived a lot in the basement in the summer. Since the house was built into a hillside, it was cool, and one side opened to a back yard, so you weren't stuck in a dingy hole. We even had a simple, 2-burner gas cooktop built in to the basement wall so we didn't have to go upstairs to cook.

We had one neighbor who built his new house on the same concept, but his basement was a finished living room, dining room, and kitchen. Bedrooms were upstairs. When you came in the front door, you went down to the living area.

Neighbors had screened porches, and these were often used for sleeping as well as daily activities.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:40 PM

I've seen houses built in the 19th century that were designed with passive air conditioning. All the ones I've seen have been 2 story houses which may add to the efficiency of the design. The attics had vents in them and there was a central vent in the upstairs ceiling as well as the ground level floor. The attic acts as a heat pump when the sun hits it. hot air in the attic rises out the vents pulling air in from the ceiling vent. That pulls air in from the ground level floor vent which is cooler cellar air. The cellar is vented to the outdoors so air can be drawn in. You can increase the efficiency of this by running intake pipes underground so that air is pulled through them and cooled to the temperature of the ground. In my area that would be about 56 degrees. The hotter the attic gets the more air is drawn through the house.

If it's a hot cloudy day you could augment the process with a furnace to move air up and out but I haven't seen a house designed this way. This is how tunnels were ventilated for fresh air centuries ago. You would put a heat source in the front of the tunnel fed by a conduit running to the back of the tunnel which forced outside air to be drawn the length of it.

Houses in the desert would use a water system on the outside walls for evaporative cooling but you would need a good source of water and a pumping system.

Last edited by Magiver; 06-16-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

During the Depression, when summers in the 30's were so hot, my grandparents told me folks took blankets to the park and slept outside.

Grandma didn't believe in "the good old days" She LOVED her air conditioner whern they were available for homes. She and Grandpa kept that house cold!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Ancestors? I don't have air conditioning now!

I lived in a cold part of New Zealand. We had maybe a month of decent summer weather each year, and mostly it didn't go over 25įC (77įF) if that. It might mean a warm night, in which case we'd sleep on top of the covers. Otherwise we would just sit in the shadier parts of the house.

I assume my ancestors, who for hundreds of years lived in generally the same region I am from, did the same, even though they lived in flax-woven huts.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Does anyone have any good stories about how their ancestors handled it?
Ancestors?
We didn't get mains electricity until 1963 so this is a current life issue.
We didn't get an air conditioner until the late 80s.

The house are orientated N-S so as to get no direct sun on the windows.
Big verandahs around the homestead, homes with central corridors, external and internal blinds over the windows. 14-20' or more ceilings. Planting big trees like peppercorns on the north and west sides of the house.

On stinking hot nights the members of the family would move around the house to find cooler corners to sleep. One night I recall when it was still over 40C at 2am the whole family was asleep on the front lawn. (The homestead is several miles from the front gate)

The biggest issue was keeping meat, butter, milk etc fresh.
In days before refrigeration we had Coolgardie safes to keep perishables. Some homes had half cellars.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:23 AM

My grandmother had an ice box. She got electricity when the ice man’s horse died and he stopped coming around in the early 1960s. (Tiny remote mountain village in NE PA.)

The house I grew up in was built in 1865. We pulled down the roller shades and closed the heavy drapes on the sunny side of the house during the day in hot weather, then opened the windows (from the top & bottom) at night. When it was just plain too hot to sleep we all wandered out to the screened-in sleeping porch.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
When it was just plain too hot to sleep we all wandered out to the screened-in sleeping porch.
I always wanted a house that had a sleeping porch.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 AM

I grew up in the mountains of East Tennessee without AC, but it didn't hit 90 that often. Ms. P and I lived in a tiny studio in Manhattan with no AC or cross ventilation. I'm usually fine without AC until the team inside the house hits the eighties; with all the trees we have it has to be pretty hot for that to happen (and it actually just happened, so I turned it on).
Old 06-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Sleeping porches, shade trees planted near the house, awnings over the windows.

I survived my summer living in a garret apartment in Tuscany by sitting in a bathtub full of cool water, reading books.