Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM

Turn off restaurant names

We have a place in town called the Genghis Grill, after a guy mercilessly took over much of the world and killed millions. Does it serve roast peasants? In a few hundred years will we have Hitler's Oven, Pol's Pot, and Stalin's Frostee Freeze? Anyone know of any other somewhat alarming restaurant names?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Dahmer's Diner?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC View Post
In a few hundred years will we have Hitler's Oven, Pol's Pot, and Stalin's Frostee Freeze?
Rather than Hitler's Oven, how about Hitler's Cross?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

The University of Colorado Bolder have named their cafeteria after Alferd Packer.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRC View Post
We have a place in town called the Genghis Grill, after a guy mercilessly took over much of the world and killed millions.
Not great in terms of PR, but I would assume they're going for the Mongolia reference, and I do like a good Mongolian grill.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 PM

The sea food chain Legal Sea Foods (https://www.legalseafoods.com) bugs me. If your marketing strategy is that you meet the legal requirements necessary to operate a seafood restaurant, I'm gonna just go ahead and give it a pass. I'll head down the street for Edible Steaks or maybe Nontoxic Subs.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 06-18-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM

"Trump Tower."
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 PM

There's a donut place called "The Glory Hole" somewhere in downtown Toronto. I'd google it but, well, you know...
Old 06-18-2018, 11:15 PM

There's a Chinese restaurant in my city called Food Lee. Really appealing, huh? I've never eaten there, but I've heard it's actually very good.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Here in Toronto, there's The J&W Restaurant. On their flyers, the ampersand actually looks more like an "E."
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The University of Colorado Bolder have named their cafeteria after Alferd Packer.
I used to eat there regularly when I was at CU in the 1980s. The Packerburger was pretty good.

On Alferd Packer Day they would serve a special menu with a giant hamburger shaped like a human leg and cut pieces off for individual servings.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM

I've seen a Greek restaurant called Tantalus. Whether that's related to the food(long pig) or the service(nonexistent) is left to the audience.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM

They sent in my area but I still don't know what the hell an Au Bon Pain is.

Last edited by sitchensis; 06-18-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Donner Party and Grill?

Dahmer's BBQ?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:37 PM

Pho restaurants seem to go in for punny names ("Pho King" is one near me) almost as often as sewing stores ("Make it Sew!")...they all make me want to puke.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
I've seen a Greek restaurant called Tantalus. Whether that's related to the food(long pig) or the service(nonexistent) is left to the audience.
Better than the restaurant Sisyphus. You give a waiter your order, wait half an hour, then a different waiter says the first one went on break and takes your order again...
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM

My Dung.

It was on Penn Ave in Pittsburgh in the early '90s. It might have been a Thai place, but I never cared to go find out for obvious reasons.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
My Dung.

It was on Penn Ave in Pittsburgh in the early '90s. It might have been a Thai place, but I never cared to go find out for obvious reasons.
For more than 30 years, there has been a Vietnamese restaurant in Des Moines called A Dong (although not in the same location the whole time). I ate there several times in its early days, when I still lived there.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
"At/to good bread."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Bon_Pain
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

For me?

"Soy" anything.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 PM

When I was in college, a place called The Creperie opened up across the street from our campus.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I always thought of it as The Painful Boner, right up there with The Crappery.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Genghis Grill doesn't offend that many people because they mostly don't know exactly what he did. A lot of people know vaguely that there was someone named Genghis Khan who at some vague time at some vague place conquered a lot of land, but they don't know anything more than that. It's not much different than Little Caesar's Pizza. Some people know vaguely that there was a film about a gangster nicknamed Little Caesar and that there was a Roman emperor named Julius Caesar, but they know little more than that. The feeling of most people going to either restaurant is that there's no reason for them to be concerned about famous figures from classical or medieval times, regardless what they did.

The Alferd Packer Restaurant & Grill gets by because it's considered a sick joke. Alferd Packer is actually moderately well known in Colorado. The students at the University of Colorado apparently think it's hilarious to name a cafeteria after him. Trey Parker and Matt Stone made a movie called Cannibal! The Musical about him. I was in this cafeteria in 1996 while at a conference. Apart from the sick humor names for the parts of the cafeteria, there's nothing special about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 PM

On a trip to Cape Cod a few years ago I drove by a shuttered restaurant in Wellfleet called "The Angry Tomato".

This joint (a "Mex-Itali grill") was unsurprisingly a very short-lived venture, following in the footsteps of a failed pizza parlor called "Monkey See, Monkey Do" at the same location.

I see that the place was bought by the owner of the Cape Cod Mosquito Squad, which thankfully is not the name of a restaurant.*

*The new owner did have culinary experience as his company made food from algae, and he reportedly planned to use the property as HQ for his mini-fleet of food trucks.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 AM

http://www.pinktaco.com/
Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 AM

There used to be several Coon Chicken Inns. The menus and other memorabilia used to appear on eBay with some frequency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coon_Chicken_Inn

Dennis
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 AM

I could just barely bring myself to eat at the Pup N Taco. Yeah, it sold hot dogs and tacos, but the implication, well.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 AM

I have always hated Chucky Cheese. Mainly because their spokesperson was a rat. With, I might add, a giant creepy rat logo.
The other place my kids always wanted to go was fronted by a big creepy clown. Ugh!
There's a place close to us called 'Fly'n Burger'. Unfortunate.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-19-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 AM

There is a Sambo's restaurant in Santa Barbara, California.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 AM

There used to be a bar by my house called "Dorothy", with a big picture of Judy Garland on the door. I would walk by it for months before someone mentioned that despite what any reasonable person would assume, it was not, in fact, a gay bar.

That really bothered me for some reason.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
There used to be a bar by my house called "Dorothy", with a big picture of Judy Garland on the door. I would walk by it for months before someone mentioned that despite what any reasonable person would assume, it was not, in fact, a gay bar.

That really bothered me for some reason.
I would think the fact Judy Garland was an alcoholic would also be bothersome.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 AM

Also true.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 AM

There used to be a taco place called "Tacos El Rey" (translation King Taco) near my house, which was pretty popular and did brisk service. A few months after it became popular a place opened up a few doors down called "Tacos El Reina" obviously trying to cash in as Reina means Queen so it's suppose to mean "Queen Taco". However in actual Spanish it should be spelled "Tacos La Reina" due to La being the feminine word. So not only was it a cash in it deliberately used bad Spanish to try to trick people.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Donner Party and Grill?
Would you believe — one of the survivors of the Donner Party did later open a restaurant in Sacramento, and was in fact sometimes the butt of jokes or criticism. It didn’t help that he was kind of a jerk — a German fellow (Karl something?) who acted selfishly at certain moments during the Donner Party saga; and, while several members (in separate incidents) resorted to cannibalism, this Karl fellow was found by the others to be unusually callous about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Portland is the home of Hung Far Lo.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
There used to be a taco place called "Tacos El Rey" (translation King Taco) near my house, which was pretty popular and did brisk service. A few months after it became popular a place opened up a few doors down called "Tacos El Reina" obviously trying to cash in as Reina means Queen so it's suppose to mean "Queen Taco". However in actual Spanish it should be spelled "Tacos La Reina" due to La being the feminine word. So not only was it a cash in it deliberately used bad Spanish to try to trick people.
That, or the owner was a drag queen.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
It's not much different than Little Caesar's Pizza. Some people know vaguely that there was a film about a gangster nicknamed Little Caesar and that there was a Roman emperor named Julius Caesar, but they know little more than that. The feeling of most people going to either restaurant is that there's no reason for them to be concerned about famous figures from classical or medieval times, regardless what they did.
What annoys me about Little Caesar's is the ad where the mascot hits the ground with his spear and the pizzas that are on it flip off the spear and then back onto it. Pizzas aren't rigid enough to do that, at least not ones that I am interested in eating, and furthermore, if anything the pizzas should go further down the spear rather than flip upward and past the spearhead.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Backyard Burgers. They taste slightly better than 5 Guys, but I am vaguely turned off by the name because it is just close enough to Backdoor Burgers to be mildly gross, but if they actually called it Backdoor Burgers then I might go because of the humor.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
There is a Sambo's restaurant in Santa Barbara, California.
Sambos used to be a popular chain of restaurants.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 AM

Caffe Nero never appealed to me. "These Christians, they don't even burn well!"
Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 AM

There is a Vietnamese restaurant called Viet Nom Nom. I refuse to try it, simply because the name is so stupid.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
What annoys me about Little Caesar's is the ad where the mascot hits the ground with his spear and the pizzas that are on it flip off the spear and then back onto it. Pizzas aren't rigid enough to do that, at least not ones that I am interested in eating, and furthermore, if anything the pizzas should go further down the spear rather than flip upward and past the spearhead.
Jokes about their pizza aside, a real Detroit style deep dish has a thicker crust and doesn’t flop around. And if you’re not interested in trying it, oh well.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Sweetie's is a little ice cream stand near us. Because we only think to go there when it is uncomfortably hot out, we've always called it Sweatie's. I've mentioned this to a number of friends over the years. Out of the blue, I heard someone refer to Sweatie's ice cream. When asked, she couldn't remember why she called it that.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
There is a Vietnamese restaurant called Viet Nom Nom. I refuse to try it, simply because the name is so stupid.
I think that's genius. My former local chinese, in a town called Shirley, was called The Shirley Temple, which was also genius.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Kentucky Raw Chicken used to turn people off. Their name change was very sensible.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM

For some reason Pizza places end up with problematic names. Shakey's Pizza always bothered me -- it sounded as if it was named after someone with a neurological disorder -- and it was!

Quote:
Shakey's Pizza was founded in Sacramento, California, on April 30, 1954, by Sherwood "Shakey" Johnson and Ed Plummer. Johnson's got his nackname from tremors which resulted from nerve damage following a bout of malaria suffered during World War II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakey%27s_Pizza

Either that, or name after a Dick Tracy villain.

When I lived in Binghamton NY we had a chain of Pudgy's Pizza. That strikes m as poor advertising. The Pudgy's I used to go to (they DID have good slices) is gone, but a quick Google search shows that there still lots of Pudgy's pizzas out there.

Little Caesar's has already been mentioned (does anyone even consider the Edward G. Robinson/small time crook angle?), but there also used to be Godfather's Pizza, allowing you to support (at least in name) don Corleone and Family. I haven't seen one in ages, but Wikipedia says there are still over 500 of them around.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have always hated Chucky Cheese. Mainly because their spokesperson was a rat.
The name gives me visions of small children being violently ill in a restaurant.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Pho restaurants seem to go in for punny names ("Pho King" is one near me) almost as often as sewing stores ("Make it Sew!")...they all make me want to puke.
We've got a "Phat Phuc" restaurant. Hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Sambos used to be a popular chain of restaurants.
I remember eating at one as a child. I thought Denny's had bought them all long ago but perhaps not.

Not a restaurant but there's a tattoo parlor near us named "Sweeney Tats". Because when you're in a chair and a stranger is pressing a sharp implement against your skin, you want to be reminded of Sweeney Todd.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
The sea food chain Legal Sea Foods (https://www.legalseafoods.com) bugs me.
Better than "Barely Legal Sea Foods."

Last edited by Machine Elf; 06-19-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brooklyn’s Fourth Avenue is home to the Chinese takeout restaurant Fu King.