Old 06-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Things You Were Surprised People Could Be So Passionate About

Another thread about different editions of books got me to thinking about the kerfuffle regarding translating* Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" for the American market. Apparently some people figured that if American readers didn't get some of the references, they could Google it, FFS. Others treated it as a grave injustice and insult to Ms. Rowling. Others acted as if crimes had been committed against English Literature, English itself, and Literature itself.

To me, making the book more accessible to American audiences made perfect sense. It had never occurred to me that anyone would take exception to the idea.

What are some things that you were surprised to see such passion about?

*Yes, I know that translating isn't the right word for what's being referred to here, but you get my drift.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 06-19-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM

Sports. Honestly I still have a hard time comprehending why anybody cares at all, and when I hear about things like riots over some game or another I just don't comprehend at all.

I'm sort of weird.

(Also 'americanizing' Harry Potter is idiotic.)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 PM

They did make a number of other changes for the American audience such as changing "revising" (for an exam) to "studying" and changing the spelling. I think they overall did a good job, although I thought the change in title was idiotic, but I can't say I am passionate about it. I mean "philosopher's stone" is a standard reference and sorcerer's stone is meaningless and people who don't get the reference to the former will not better understand the latter, there being nothing there.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 PM

It was the first book and they were building an audience. Philosopher's Stone is hardly obscure, but it comes off sounding academic rather than fantasy. It could make casual browsers think of it as a book like "From the Mixed Up Files..." as opposed to magic and dragons. If it were the 5th book, they would have left it since the audience was already built.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Sports. Honestly I still have a hard time comprehending why anybody cares at all, and when I hear about things like riots over some game or another I just don't comprehend at all.

I'm sort of weird.

To be honest, the sports is just an excuse for assholes wanting an excuse to riot and tear shit up.

And this is the first time I've heard of Americanizing Harry Potter, let alone their being any controversy about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Obama's birth certificate. Who would have thought it could have led to where we are today. Just an observation and please don't start a political discussion but it is strange that people got so passionate over the thing.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 06-19-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Adults and Harry Potter in general.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 06-19-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:12 PM

I'm not a naturally passionate person, so I'm often surprised at the things that impassion other people.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Traveling with only carry on luggage. 3 weeks overseas and you’re only bringing a carry on? Look, I agree completely that you shouldn’t overpack and, ‘When in doubt, leave it out.’ But, I’m an adult, I don’t want to wear the same clothes constantly nor do laundry in a hotel room!

But wow, some travelers are so passionate about carry on only that they’ll start a Holy War over it.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post

*Yes, I know that translating isn't the right word for what's being referred to here, but you get my drift.
Localising.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:03 PM

People who have been gaslighted and are now passionate about what they have been convinced of. I hear them all the time calling into C-SPAN basically repeating the president's dog whistles.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 PM

World of Warcraft.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 PM

Getting out of bed.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Hatred of immigrants. I don't understand people who are so broken they hate people for wanting to escape oppression and violence.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 PM

When I was little, I had a family relative who was adamant that you do not describe mathematical fractions or operations as "breaking up" something into components (i.e., "we break up sixteen units into ten and six") - "breaking up means two people ending a relationship! You have to say break down."

She also adamantly insisted that "airliner" means the company that flies passengers, not the aircraft that flies passengers. I also was oddly adamant that "airline" means a company, not an airplane, and we were both very vehement about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 PM

Video games. From "console wars" over two pieces of virtually identical technology with a couple different game titles to people spending hundreds of dollars on a plastic video game character statue to people going ape irate about how they'd never buy any title digitally and only on physical media because what if they really want to play some dusty old title from 2014 in the year 2035 and so on... I like video games in general but the amount of emotional energy a lot of people put into it (or into arguing about it) is baffling.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM

People who think the opening speech in the first episode of the Newsroom was the greatest work ever written in the history of entertainment. Go to the YouTube comments of any video of it and there's hundreds of people passionately acting like it was the most mindblowing speech of all time.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Are you really surprised that people are passionate over politics or sports? It’s fine to think that people shouldn’t be so passionate over sports or think people are too worked up about a political issue. But I’m not sure it really comes as a surprise.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:47 PM

People who come out of the woodwork to tell you that no Mexican has ever celebrated Cinco De Mayo in history. When Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah are talking with 100% certainly that nobody with brown skin has ever even thought of celebrating Cinco De Mayo is when it goes too far.

There are literally people who think Cinco De Mayo is something only Donald Trump celebrates.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 AM

The way the Right was so passionately opposed to President Obama. A large segment of the US population truly believed that "He's out to destroy the country!!!" And a large segment of the population passionately believed in everything Obama did. And you know what? The United States "survived" eight years of Obama.

Now its the Left's turn to be passionately opposed to President Trump. A large segment of the US population truly believe that "He's out to destroy the country!!!" And a large segment of the population believe in everything Trump is doing. And you know what? The United States is going to "survive" 8 years of Trump.

Look at the polls. Both Obama and Trump have very similar popularity numbers. Neither one was elected Dictator. Congress and the Courts limited what Obama wanted to do and they have limited what Trump wants to do and Congress and the Courts will continue to do so.

Now I can't wait to be told by Dopers on the Left how Trump REALLY IS A THREAT!!! And Obama's presidency was the greatest thing that ever happened to the country!

Just relax. The United States is going to be just fine. You want to go out and protest and RESIST Trump's every move? That's your right, but is it going to change anything?
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 AM

Search "knets" (South Korean Netizens). Not a week passes without someone, usually a celebrity getting a petition to the government calling for them to receive the death penalty! The petitions are quickly removed, but I'm waiting for the sad day when some crazy decides to carry out the knets demands.

On a far less serious, though no less surprising note. There's currently a survival show in China (Produce 101 China) in which 101 female singers vie to become part of the final 11 member girl group. The fans (National Producers which includes international voters) are collectively spending millions of dollars to buy votes for their favorites. The show producers meanwhile are laughing with each of their numerous trips to the bank.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:14 AM

I had a boss that was absolutely crazy about the football team from his alma mater. If they won over the weekend, he'd repeatedly give replays of every moment of the game throughout the day. If they lost, he would be a bit less vocal, but grumpy for the entire week. I asked his partner if he played on the team when he was in college and the answer was no.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post

I'm sort of weird.

One example is the way people continue to talk about this almost 40 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice

It also blew my mind how many people were pulling their kids out of school to see the World Series trophy won by the Chicago Cubs. Not the game - THE TROPHY.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-20-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 AM

trainspotting, elevatorspotting
Old 06-20-2018, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

We bought a truck recently. For towing and hauling things. In my naivete, I thought that's what they were for. I found a website for owners of <brand> truck and thought I'd pop in to get some information about a few features.

Oh.
My.
God.

Apparently, what one does now, is spend insane amounts of money for suspension redesign to lift the truck up, so that one can cram preposterously oversized tires underneath, then change the engine controller (chips) to develop far more power, all to ensure the following:
1. Normal people cannot climb up into it.
2. It can no longer tow anything.
3. It is unstable and dangerous, as the center of gravity is lifted.
4. All warranties are null and void and,
5. Resale value is drastically reduced.

They actually have a monthly award for the most garishly modified (and most unusable) truck.

This is as ridiculous as buying a bicycle and removing the gears to make it as difficult as one of those bikes from the 1920's. OK, I got carried away, no one's that foolish.

Last edited by pullin; 06-20-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Ultralight hiking. I get wanting a lighter pack when hiking, but the picayune obsession over every last gram is silly.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM

Fonts.

At some point when I wasn't looking, people became very passionate about what font something is printed in. Some fonts are apparently incredibly ugly, some are especially appealing or sleek or dignified or what have you. I just can't see that much difference.

Poor old Comic Sans, for some reason that I cannot begin to imagine, comes in for special hatred. I can only conclude that Comic Sans killed everybody's mother and kicked all their puppies.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
They did make a number of other changes for the American audience such as changing "revising" (for an exam) to "studying" and changing the spelling. I think they overall did a good job, although I thought the change in title was idiotic, but I can't say I am passionate about it. I mean "philosopher's stone" is a standard reference and sorcerer's stone is meaningless and people who don't get the reference to the former will not better understand the latter, there being nothing there.
The title change was idiotic. The book explains what the sorcerer's stone is, so obviously, it explains what the Philosopher's stone is (I have a copy of the UK edition, and it does). Given that there is no such thing at all as a sorcerer's stone, and while there isn't a Philosopher's stone either, it's at least a real part of folklore, and history, why, oh why did someone think that it would be easier to grasp what a sorcerer's stone is?

I do not get people who are passionate about their sorority or fraternity, especially 20 years after they finished college.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM

Find wrestling fandom hard to relate to - don't understand it, so am baffled how grown men can actively take a passionate interest in it. Seems like something you'd take your 8yo kid to go and watch.

I can see the nostalgia angle, if it was a cool, fun thing when you were growing up. And it seems to have a lot of history in the US - the sort of thing people used to go and watch in the midwest in the old times, when there was literally fuck all to do all day. But there's a decent fanbase in the UK, which is a headscratcher.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Find wrestling fandom hard to relate to - don't understand it, so am baffled how grown men can actively take a passionate interest in it. Seems like something you'd take your 8yo kid to go and watch.

I can see the nostalgia angle, if it was a cool, fun thing when you were growing up. And it seems to have a lot of history in the US - the sort of thing people used to go and watch in the midwest in the old times, when there was literally fuck all to do all day. But there's a decent fanbase in the UK, which is a headscratcher.
Its a mixture of theatre and sport. Its rather easy to understand.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Fonts.

At some point when I wasn't looking, people became very passionate about what font something is printed in. Some fonts are apparently incredibly ugly, some are especially appealing or sleek or dignified or what have you. I just can't see that much difference.

Poor old Comic Sans, for some reason that I cannot begin to imagine, comes in for special hatred. I can only conclude that Comic Sans killed everybody's mother and kicked all their puppies.
I came in to say this. Baffling.

To it, I'd add the issue of how many spaces are needed after a period, and the Oxford comma. While I do have my own opinions on these subjects (one period is enough with modern word processing software, and the Oxford Comma is inelegant but sometimes necessary), I can't imagine caring enough to actually get into an argument about them. Whatever, guys.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Yeah, the whole "I can't believe they changed the title! How dare they!" reaction does kind of baffle me, and here's why:

You've all heard of Agatha Christie's novel Murder on the Orient Express, right? Did you know that when it was released in the U.S., it was called Murder in the Calais Coach? Do you know why its title was changed? Because the year before, Graham Greene had released a novel called (in Britain) Stamboul Train, which had been re-titled Orient Express for its U.S. release. To avoid confusion, Christie's novel was also re-named for America.

Perhaps because I knew all this, the title change from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone never bothered me all that much. My reaction was more like, "They changed the title? Yeah, that happens."

Indeed, here's a list of books that have had different titles in the U.K. and the U.S. Seriously, this happens all the time!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

The religious anti-abortion nutjobs. I've talked to some of them, and they are very scary people. "You're going to have to stand before God and confess to killing your baby."
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM

My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic. Bronies. Etc.

Is it just a furry thing?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The religious anti-abortion nutjobs. I've talked to some of them, and they are very scary people. "You're going to have to stand before God and confess to killing your baby."

Being passionate about abortion makes more sense than anything else in here.

If you believe people are killing hundreds of thousands of babies a year, why would you NOT be passionate about it?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Video games. From "console wars" over two pieces of virtually identical technology with a couple different game titles to people spending hundreds of dollars on a plastic video game character statue to people going ape irate about how they'd never buy any title digitally and only on physical media because what if they really want to play some dusty old title from 2014 in the year 2035 and so on... I like video games in general but the amount of emotional energy a lot of people put into it (or into arguing about it) is baffling.
I've never understood this either, and in one way or another, on one system or another, I've been a pretty avid gamer for 40 years now.

I think it's really just another manifestation of the toxic fandom we see out there. A lot of people get really, truly and unreasonably torqued out of shape about the dumbest things. And this isn't limited to nerdy stuff like video games and movies- you see the exact same phenomenon with sports, and have for decades. People take it way too seriously and invest way too much of their own emotional well-being in pointless entertainment.

And don't try saying "Well, it's only dumb from your point of view." No, it's objectively dumb for a grown person to get spitting mad over Rey's parentage, or whether Rian Johnson sucks, or about Tom Brady and football inflation, or if Fallout 4 was awful, or whatever it is that the toxic fans are getting their panties in a twist over.

IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE BIT. They'll all still get up in the morning and go to work, and in the main, life will continue on just like it did before the movie/game came out or their team lost or won.

Don't get me wrong; I get the tribal affiliation thing, especially for collegiate or national level sports (don't quite get it for pro sports though). But life goes on, and in the final analysis it's entertainment.

Nerd fandom stuff... I don't get the level of investment. I'm interested in a lot of those things, but I don't get the level of anger, or feelings of betrayal, etc... that a lot of these toxic fans seem to have.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow sausage bandit View Post
trainspotting, elevatorspotting
As an American train nut I can understand trainspotting, though it's not my cuppa, but... elevatorspotting?

>Ding<
Yup, there's the #3 elevator in this bank again, right on time.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Traveling with only carry on luggage. 3 weeks overseas and you’re only bringing a carry on? Look, I agree completely that you shouldn’t overpack and, ‘When in doubt, leave it out.’ But, I’m an adult, I don’t want to wear the same clothes constantly nor do laundry in a hotel room!

But wow, some travelers are so passionate about carry on only that they’ll start a Holy War over it.
Whatever floats your boat.

When my Wife and I traveled to Germany for three weeks I started thinking about how many pairs of socks and underwear I would need. 21 pairs of socks and 21 pair of underwear? Um, no way. And as we where going to do all of our travel from hotel to hotel by train, we did not want to carry two bags apiece.

So, once, we had a hotel service wash our clothes, and otherwise washed stuff in the bathroom. No problem at all.

Also, I bought travel clothes that dry quickly. Since then, unless we are going for a long trip by car, One carry on each is no problem. Heck, it's liberating.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
As an American train nut I can understand trainspotting, though it's not my cuppa, but... elevatorspotting?
I don't know if this is what is meant by "elevatorspotting," but I've run across more than one YouTube channel devoted to people filming themselves riding elevators. Complete with close-ups of the buttons being pushed, and of the floor indicator going up.

One of those channels also features recordings of this guy taking his car through automated car washes. Seemingly whenever he visits a new town, he makes it a point to find a car wash and film it. I don't know if he's exactly "passionate" about it, but it seems like a weird hobby to have.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post

Being passionate about abortion makes more sense than anything else in here.

If you believe people are killing hundreds of thousands of babies a year, why would you NOT be passionate about it?
This was my thought process, too. Out of the things mentioned here, I think this is one I can understand. On the other hand, pro abortion advocates can get pretty fired up, too.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM

I just thought of another one. I'm interested in true crime, especially unsolved crime (my grandfather was a reporter from about 1930 to 1972, and he had the crime beat most of his career, so he had lots of books on true crime, and I used to look at them whenever we went to visit). I post on a lot of unsolved crime message boards.

There are people who have pet solutions to famous unsolved crimes, and can become enraged when challenged. Often the solutions are extremely detailed, and full of lots of examples of the original meaning of "begging the question." But people defend them like they are their own children. They also come to message boards unprepared to discuss with an open mind, but only to promote their pet theories. They get suspended a lot.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Chicagoans and ketchup on hot dogs. (Personally, I'm not a big ketchup eater for anything, but I still don't get it.)

Eh. . . 'traditionalist' MLB fans' antipathy toward interleague play.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
And don't try saying "Well, it's only dumb from your point of view." No, it's objectively dumb for a grown person to get spitting mad over Rey's parentage, or whether Rian Johnson sucks, or about Tom Brady and football inflation, or if Fallout 4 was awful, or whatever it is that the toxic fans are getting their panties in a twist over.

IT DOESN'T MATTER ONE BIT. They'll all still get up in the morning and go to work, and in the main, life will continue on just like it did before the movie/game came out or their team lost or won.
Yeah, I can see being passionate about politics since a handful of people really do have the ability to meaningfully impact the nation for years to come. Or, if you're a believer, being passionate about religion since you believe eternal souls are on the line. Even if I don't agree, I can follow the thread that makes you worry about it.

But there's no rational reason to get insane over entertainment. That's just crazy-sauce.

Since you mention toxic fans, I'll clarify my original post by saying that there's a big difference between someone displaying their video game passion by spending all their disposable income on Nintendo tchochkes and someone sending death threats to a game developer because they're mad about a new character. I don't really understand the allure of either but if you just want to harmlessly spend your money on stuff, rock on with your bad self.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 AM

It would be a much shorter list if I just wrote down what doesn't surprise me. Must be 90% of the things people in groups are passionate about, I find difficult to imagine ever wanting to even glance at. But in particular I am surprised by people getting excited about something which is being sold to them. Like lines of clothings, brands of beer, different models of cars. The experience of being profitable to giant corporations is one I wish I could bypass altogether, but it consumes the majority of the world.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
This was my thought process, too. Out of the things mentioned here, I think this is one I can understand. On the other hand, pro abortion advocates can get pretty fired up, too.
Nobody's pro-abortion, sport. Your bias is showing.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Nobody's pro-abortion, sport. Your bias is showing.
Is anti abortion just as biased? Pro choice and pro life seem like the fairest identifiers.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
The way the Right was so passionately opposed to President Obama. A large segment of the US population truly believed that "He's out to destroy the country!!!" And a large segment of the population passionately believed in everything Obama did. And you know what? The United States "survived" eight years of Obama.

Now its the Left's turn to be passionately opposed to President Trump. A large segment of the US population truly believe that "He's out to destroy the country!!!" And a large segment of the population believe in everything Trump is doing. And you know what? The United States is going to "survive" 8 years of Trump.

Look at the polls. Both Obama and Trump have very similar popularity numbers. Neither one was elected Dictator. Congress and the Courts limited what Obama wanted to do and they have limited what Trump wants to do and Congress and the Courts will continue to do so.

Now I can't wait to be told by Dopers on the Left how Trump REALLY IS A THREAT!!! And Obama's presidency was the greatest thing that ever happened to the country!

Just relax. The United States is going to be just fine. You want to go out and protest and RESIST Trump's every move? That's your right, but is it going to change anything?
Last night I thought it best to ignore this, and not derail the tread with politic. However, these are not normal times and none of us can sit back and let pass any opportunity to raise an alarm and yes, resist. So now, fortified with coffee, I'm just going to say that it is no vice to be passionate about American values and be quite passionate what the current administration is doing to all we once at least pretended to hold dear. Obama actually was a good president, and more importantly, a good man. I'll let Steve Schmidt's quote sum up for me:

Quote:
“Republican members of Congress are cowed and fearful of Trump and they have abrogated their oaths to defend the Constitution of the United States from Trump's attacks on the rule of law; on objective truth; his defilement of important institutions; his sundering of the American people; his betrayals of the Atlantic alliance; his racism; and his cruelty. The party has become profoundly corrupt, both financially in the form of men like Scott Pruitt and Jared [Kushner] and Ivanka [Trump], but also intellectually rotten and corrupt.”
Old 06-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Whatever floats your boat.

When my Wife and I traveled to Germany for three weeks I started thinking about how many pairs of socks and underwear I would need. 21 pairs of socks and 21 pair of underwear? Um, no way. And as we where going to do all of our travel from hotel to hotel by train, we did not want to carry two bags apiece.

So, once, we had a hotel service wash our clothes, and otherwise washed stuff in the bathroom. No problem at all.

Also, I bought travel clothes that dry quickly. Since then, unless we are going for a long trip by car, One carry on each is no problem. Heck, it's liberating.
And that's fine. The people I'm referring to are active on travel forums or travel meetup groups. They love to look down from their pedestal and sneer at the unwashed masses who aren't 'smart' enough to travel carry on only.

And, there's a subset that seems to be similar to the ultra light hikers mentioned above. They engage in competitive packing wank fests so they can brag about just how light they traveled.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:42 PM

I've stopped being shocked by what people can be passionate about. When I realized I really loved reading and editing FAQs and other technical writing, I realized I'm one of those people with a surprising passion. I mean, honestly, who but me actually reads instruction manuals?

The statistics of the 1996 Dallas Cowboys Offensive Line? Fine. Totally obsessed with the various incarnations of the X-Men and all of their AU powers? Good for you. Wanna hear about how to properly structure a Table of Contents for an instruction manual? 'Cause that's what I'm into.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 PM

People who are very insistent on very particular, single-use only food terms.

E.g., BBQ is only this. Chili is only that.

And they aren't just preferring one use. They know for a fact (!) that there use is the only one. Period.

And of course citing the original meanings, decades old uses, etc. just irritates them.

Similarly, in Computing we have the idjits that insists that "hacker" means only one thing. A meaning, BTW, that was used by exactly one person at all the colleges I was a student or CS faculty member. Again, citing decades old usage like "hack writer" does not provide the needed enlightenment. They just double down on the foolishness.