Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:26 PM
BANNED

USSR took out 98 missiles due to Castro's lunacy --Cuban refugees right to escape him --yes?

It turns out that even after rather weak US President Kennedy made a deal with the Soviets they (the Soviets) still had 98 missiles in the Cuban island. (Bet you thought John had gotten them all out himself.) But when the Soviets went to Cuba to visit some more they found Castro to be so nuts that they removed the remaining missiles anyway. Now for decades all those people who fled Cuba to Florida for reasons of fear and terror of the horrible, deadly Castro regime. Should the Soviet assessment of Castro's insanity be told to the frightened Cuban refugees? I think it should. It will show them it was not just them or in their imagination that he was so bad. Anyone else?

Last edited by ned12; 07-01-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Cite?
Old 07-01-2018, 04:29 PM
BANNED

Oh OK. One minute or two.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:31 PM
BANNED

Google "Secret Nukes: the untold story of the Cuban Missile Crisis".

Last edited by ned12; 07-01-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

No, I'm asking you for a cite. You're the one who's putting something up for debate.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:35 PM
BANNED

Hmm. I really do not understand what more I can or am supposed to provide.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 PM

The people who fled from Cuba know the exact reasons they left. They don’t need any validation from you.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
The people who fled from Cuba know the exact reasons they left. They donít need any validation from you.
Well, maybe actually they do. Look, mass-murderer Castro was wrongly loved by way too many Cubans and some Cubans who left may have actually felt it was somehow their fault, or family's fault, they were not getting along in Castro society. It must be a relief to many such Cuban refugees to know that he was actually so screwed up that his beloved Soviets did not trust him.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:41 PM
BANNED

I have to go now. I will take this up in a day or two again. OK? Bye!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned12 View Post
It turns out that even after rather weak US President Kennedy made a deal with the Soviets they (the Soviets) still had 98 missiles in the Cuban island. (Bet you thought John had gotten them all out himself.) ...
Why would you bet that?
No, let me rephrase: Ok, I'll bet you. How much?
Old 07-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I don’t think you know very much about dictatorships.
The people who left had very good reasons for going. They weren’t stupid.
The people who stayed either couldn’t leave, or were in positions of power, and well treated.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM

The Cuban refugee family I have known fled the Castro regime in 1962. They had very little to say about their home country, and they had absolutely nothing good to say about Castro.

(Yes, I know. Anecdotes do not amount to arguments.)
Old 07-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, maybe actually they do. Look, mass-murderer Castro was wrongly loved by way too many Cubans and some Cubans who left may have actually felt it was somehow their fault, or family's fault, they were not getting along in Castro society. It must be a relief to many such Cuban refugees to know that he was actually so screwed up that his beloved Soviets did not trust him.
Why don't you travel to South Florida and explain to the Cuban emigre community all about how Fidel Castro was a bad man? I'm sure they will be very glad to hear from an expert such as yourself.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
YOU google "Secret Nukes: the untold story of the Cuban Missile Crisis", find a link, go over the linked text to make sure it's legit, and post the link here. We'd also prefer if you copied a relevant passage and posted it here as a quote so that we don't have to read the entire link if we don't want to.

That's how things work here.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 PM

I think there was also a Google search for "What was JFK's first name?"
Old 07-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
No, I'm asking you for a cite. You're the one who's putting something up for debate.
I'll help him out.

It's a newspaper article that was published in the Miami Herald in 2012. The byline is Juan O. Tamayo.

I personally feel that the OP's version of this story is exaggerated.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 07-01-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Mod Rocker

Moderating

Quote:
It turns out that even after rather weak US President Kennedy made a deal with the Soviets they (the Soviets) still had 98 missiles in the Cuban island. (Bet you thought John had gotten them all out himself.) But when the Soviets went to Cuba to visit some more they found Castro to be so nuts that they removed the remaining missiles anyway. Now for decades all those people who fled Cuba to Florida for reasons of fear and terror of the horrible, deadly Castro regime. Should the Soviet assessment of Castro's insanity be told to the frightened Cuban refugees? I think it should. It will show them it was not just them or in their imagination that he was so bad. Anyone else?
Quote:
Google "Secret Nukes: the untold story of the Cuban Missile Crisis".
Quote:
The fact that you do not understand what is being asked of you indicates that you have no business posting in Great Debates or Elections.

Your OP makes a number of unsubstantiated claims. When asked for actual citations to any of those claims, you respond that your questioner should use Google to find answers, pointing to one story that says nothing about Castro being "nuts," only angry.

This is not how one debates in this forum. This is marginally better than dropping a link and asking for comments, but only marginally.

I am closing this thread with the strong suggestion that you do better in the future.

[ /Moderating ]
Closed Thread