Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

US stuns at WHO over breastfeeding.

Wow! I don’t think anyone expected this. They’d rather support Nestles profits over promotion of breastfeeding in developing countries.

Sales of substitute formula has flattened in most developed countries. So they need populations/markets to exploit, and they are not above bullying others apparently. Who cares if more babies die, as a direct result.

From The New York Times:

U.S. Opposition to Breast-Feeding Resolution Stuns World Health Officials

Trade sanctions. Withdrawal of military aid. The Trump administration used both to try to block a measure that was considered uncontroversial and embraced by countries around the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/h...dor-trump.html
U

Sent from my iPad
Old 07-08-2018, 01:36 PM

And now the descent into cartoon super-villainy is complete.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:52 PM

I don't know why you're so concerned about this. Obviously they just got confused and once orders came in from their leader, they acquiesced.

Quote:
In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them.
The intensity of the administration’s opposition to the breast-feeding resolution stunned public health officials and foreign diplomats, who described it as a marked contrast to the Obama administration, which largely supported W.H.O.’s longstanding policy of encouraging breast-feeding.
The Americans also sought, unsuccessfully, to thwart a W.H.O. effort aimed at helping poor countries obtain access to lifesaving medicines. Washington, supporting the pharmaceutical industry, has long resisted calls to modify patent laws as a way of increasing drug availability in the developing world, but health advocates say the Trump administration has ratcheted up its opposition to such efforts.
It’s making everyone very nervous, because if you can’t agree on health multilateralism, what kind of multilateralism can you agree on?” Ms. Kickbusch asked.
A Russian delegate said the decision to introduce the breast-feeding resolution was a matter of principle.

We’re not trying to be a hero here, but we feel that it is wrong when a big country tries to push around some very small countries, especially on an issue that is really important for the rest of the world,” said the delegate, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
More seriously, this is insanity and incredibly dangerous. WHO has always been one of the leading non-partisan organizations in the world for healthcare. But it's a great way to promote Russia as a world leader!
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Taken at face value, that's obscene. The administration should be ashamed of themselves.

(very important to make the distinction between the administration and the US people, I can't imagine that they would be behind this)
Old 07-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Maybe the US's delegation thought the directive involved breastfeeding in public.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:33 PM

Wow. WTF? Well they do like to deny science, I knew that. But damn, this is really inexplicable in most ways. Nestles is not even a US company. Maybe this was on behalf of Gerber instead?
Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't spot in the article what the American delegation wanted the resolution to say. That detail is also missing from the Guardian's report.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 PM

Tacky comment follows. You've been warned.
SPOILER:
Trump believes breasts shouldn't be hogged by babies.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
The administration should be ashamed of themselves.
The Trump administration is incapable of shame.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Maybe I missed it but I couldn't spot in the article what the American delegation wanted the resolution to say. That detail is also missing from the Guardian's report.
All the details in the NY Times article are these:
Quote:
American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children.
Most of the details of in other news stories seemed to be "The NY Times reports".

It also sounds like it wasn't a suggestion for what to say but just what not to say.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
SPOILER:
Some evidence supports this. This Vox article quotes two Trump tweets which denigrate breastfeeding women.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
They’d rather support Nestles profits
There's plenty of US based firms with trotters in this trough.

I'd have thought Abbott Laboratories considers this as quid pro quo for their contribution to Trumps inaugural bash.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 PM

From the NYT article:
Quote:
The United States also insisted that the words “evidence-based” accompany references to long-established initiatives that promote breast-feeding, which critics described as a ploy that could be used to undermine programs that provide parents with feeding advice and support.
Not entirely a ploy (as some of the research used to promote breastfeeding is shaky), but hypocritical in the extreme, given the dubious claims made by formula marketers (and the administration's contempt for science in general).
Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Next stop: De-clawing of all cats in the lower 48!

Alaska and Hawaii becomes a safe zone for the kitties.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

(My bad on the Nestles reference, I had ‘the likes of Nestles’, and somehow lost it on edit. There were just the first maker of baby formula that came to mind. Also they lost that epic lawsuit, over this very issue in India, a long time back now. Apologies.)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Some evidence supports this. This Vox article quotes two Trump tweets which denigrate breastfeeding women.
I wouldn't find it surprising in the least if I heard that Loser Donald refused to let his children be breast-fed.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-08-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM

This is appalling beyond words. Now Putin is wearing the white hat.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Well, of course Trump & Co. are all about profits for formula makers and, can't have all those worker-bee women taking time out from wage-slavery to feed babies, right?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Well, of course Trump & Co. are all about profits for formula makers and, can't have all those worker-bee women taking time out from wage-slavery to feed babies, right?
Not unless they agree to be hooked up to a milking machine so the administration and its partners can benefit from those selfish bitches wasting their time putting something meant to look sexy for men to enjoy in a baby's mouth.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure - and the Americans did not threaten them.
Nice to know that the new overlords of the US have some moral standards that they're willing to impose on their serfs.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

What’s chilling is the number of people who spoke only with the cloak of anonymity, ALL out of fear of retribution.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 PM

Why are people surprised? Everything this administration does is to upset the balance of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Wow. WTF? Well they do like to deny science, I knew that. But damn, this is really inexplicable in most ways. Nestles is not even a US company. Maybe this was on behalf of Gerber instead?
Are you originally from the UK? I ask because Nestle used to operate as Nestles a really, really long time ago in the UK, and I've heard Nestles from British expats who are old enough to remember.

Last edited by SOJA; 07-08-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
Why are people surprised? Everything this administration does is to upset the balance of power.

Are you originally from the UK? I ask because Nestle used to operate as Nestles a really, really long time ago in the UK, and I've heard Nestles from British expats who are old enough to remember.
He sounds like a Michigander to me; we add an 's' onto all of our company names. Fords, K-Marts, Meijers...
Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
They operated as Nestle's in multiple locations; in English-speaking ones because it made them sound more local and in non-English-speaking ones because "English is cool" (even more when everybody was scrambling to start learning it).

And What Exit? is from NJ, as his name indicates

Last edited by Nava; 07-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
He sounds like a Michigander to me; we add an 's' onto all of our company names. Fords, K-Marts, Meijers...
We do that a lot here in Chicago, too.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
From the NYT article:Not entirely a ploy (as some of the research used to promote breastfeeding is shaky), but hypocritical in the extreme, given the dubious claims made by formula marketers (and the administration's contempt for science in general).
I think that the demand for evidence-based-science, has, in the past, been coupled with de-funding of scientific studies that generate evidence. So my first reaction would be that inserting language about evidence based science is /entirely/ a ploy.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Upsetting power balance is only a side effect of doing everything he can to monetize every single publicly funded gov't thing for private profit. If he could sell the meat of immigrant people by the pound Trump would let them flow in unimpeded.

Last edited by Nawth Chucka; 07-09-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The op used Nestles, so I did without thinking about it. As Nava pointed out, I'm from New Jersey.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:

N-E-S-T-L-E-S. Nestle's makes the very best chawk-let.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Should it be: US stuns WHOM?

Last edited by John Mace; 07-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Should it be: US stuns WHOM?
US stuns WHOMST.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM

They used to themselves Nestles here, but now they seem to have morphed into Nestlé
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk VII View Post
They used to themselves Nestles here, but now they seem to have morphed into Nestlé
Which ruins the old jungle: N E S T L E ... ??? Nestle makes the very b??? ... chocolate.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
From the NYT article:Not entirely a ploy (as some of the research used to promote breastfeeding is shaky), but hypocritical in the extreme, given the dubious claims made by formula marketers (and the administration's contempt for science in general).
Thanks for pointing that out, the 'breast is best' crowd drives me NUTS with their overstated claims and absolutism.

But for most women, and overwhelmingly women in the third world, breast is best. It is ECONOMICALLY far superior - especially if you aren't trying to hold a job and breastfeed (when an economic argument could be made that formula makes sense - depending on your job and the attitude of your employer) and when you don't have an easily accessible and free source of clean water (canned formula being crushingly expensive) its FAR safer.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
SPOILER:
Yeah, what the hell do babies have to do with breasts anyway......
Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I wouldn't find it surprising in the least if I heard that Loser Donald refused to let his children be breast-fed.
That would involve some basic level of involvement on his part. My money says he has no idea if they did or didn't.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
That would involve some basic level of involvement on his part. My money says he has no idea if they did or didn't.

Tits are serious business for the Don. No doubt he has been involved in care and maintenance.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak84 View Post
yeah, what the hell do babies have to do with breasts anyway......
Exactly!

Breasts are for the enjoyment of grown men, not for dumb little babies.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 07-09-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Exactly!

Breasts are for the enjoyment of grown men, not for dumb little babies.
That would be a big problem for Trump.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Not unless they agree to be hooked up to a milking machine so the administration and its partners can benefit from those selfish bitches wasting their time putting something meant to look sexy for men to enjoy in a baby's mouth.
Hey, it was Obama who hooked women up to milking machines when he mandated that all health insurance has to provide breast pumps postpartum.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:12 PM

I was shocked to read this. Breast is preferred due to proven benefits in immunity, bonding and often, economics and sanitation.

But the shocking part was allegedly threatening Ecuador and the WHO over this relatively benign and minor issue. At a minimum, the optics are terrible.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:07 AM

First Dog on the Moon nails it.

Breastfeeding: it's bad for business!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWyvern View Post
First Dog on the Moon nails it.

Breastfeeding: it's bad for business!
This.

Thump's position has NOTHING to do with the benefits or lack of same re breastfeeding. C'mon, people, THINK! Only one thing motivates him: money. Any position he takes has ultimately to do with profit. To himself. Nothing else. And of all other potential motivations, benefits to any other person or creature are the bottom of his list. This is the clearest, most consistent fact about him. It is the gold standard against with everything about his behavior can be measured.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Taken at face value, that's obscene. The administration should be ashamed of themselves.

(very important to make the distinction between the administration and the US people, I can't imagine that they would be behind this)
The US people are absolutely behind this, because that's why bad-faith negotiating, and vastly benefiting the rich at the direct expense of the poor, are happening in the first place - the US people demanded it and continue to demand more of it.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
But the shocking part was allegedly threatening Ecuador and the WHO over this relatively benign and minor issue. At a minimum, the optics are terrible.
Optics? Who needs optics? At a minimum, the ordinary people of the USA and their duly-elected government are terrible!

If you (plural "you", anyone reading) are a US citizen, this situation is your personal fault. You recommended it, you endorsed it, and you are encouraging it to continue. If not by your direct support, then by your acquiescence and your unwillingness to stick your own neck out for what's right.

Please do something about it.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 07-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Uh, no, I actually voted against the current crowd of gangsters and criminals in office. I did not recommend, endorse, encourage or approve.

I'm not sure what, exactly, you expect me to do about it personally. Do you have useful suggestions are you just indulging in some anti-American feelings?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
It also sounds like it wasn't a suggestion for what to say but just what not to say.
Thanks.

Unfortunately the story doesn't seem to have been picked up outside the Left. Trump has denied it (I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you!) and there are no verifiable facts, so unless the source of the story - the NYT - provides those specifics - names, resolution texts, etc - this is unfortunately going to go down as a poor smear attempt . The NYT has just played into Trump's hands with this.

When dealing with a liar like Trump you need to deal with verifiable facts. Publish the truth. The truth stands on its own and the lies of Trump et al will wither.

All they needed to do is say that on date A, Joe Bloggs of the US delegation approached Jane Doe of the Bolivian (or whoever) delegation demanding changes X, Y, and Z. A simple, verifiable, statement. But the article doesn't do that; there are are no specifics. Nothing that can be fact-checked or judged. So it's going to be treated as a lie and a hit-piece.