Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Living while black in America

This is an omnibus thread to cover the injustices that black people and other minorities experience in this country. Here are a sampling of this month's grab-bag. I will add more as time permits.

On May 31st, a Sherell L. Lewis Jr. was struck by Martin Matthew. He knew that Sherell had died on the way to the hospital and had openly bragged about it on Snapchat. Matthew wrote on Snapchat “y’all i just hit a whole guy on the highway,” followed by three sob emojis. He referred to the person who died as "some nigger".

On July 3rd, State Rep Janelle Bynum had to police called on her while canvassing in a predominately white neighborhood for her re-election campaign.

On July 4th,
Rodolfo Rodriguez, a 92 year old Hispanic-American was beaten with a brick. During the attack, the assailant said "Go back to your own country."

Late June, a white couple - the Krakoras - in Ohio called the police on an 11 year old boy because he mowed a part of their lawn. 11 days later, on July 4th, the white couple called the police again because the children allegedly wetted their house while playing outside. The couple said “We have always been told by the police that if we feel threatened, ‘Don’t confront these people, just call us[.]" and "We’re a slightly older couple. We have a white couple in their eighties next to us. If we feel it’s going to be more of an issue to go over trying to talk to somebody, for our safety, we just call the police.”

In California, District Attorney Michael Selyem wrote of Maxine Waters, “Being a loud-mouthed cunt in the ghetto you would think someone would have shot this bitch by now …”

On July 4th, Devonte Ortiz was killed by a 41 year old white man. The white man claimed self-defense but the video that the police have indicate a different story. The video allegedly shows Ortiz, the white man, and the white man's father arguing over firecrackers. The white man is seen unholstering and holstering his gun multiple times. The white man's father attempts to intervene leading to shoving between Ortiz and the white man's father. The white man's father falls to the ground, and the white man responded by shooting Devonte Ortiz to death.

On July 4th, Larry Lappin was recorded flipping out because he heard Mexican-Americans celebrating the holiday with Spanish music. “Sometimes I wish they would assimilate more. I hear them playing [Spanish language] music in the backyard all the time and it doesn’t bother me. Because of the day and what July 4th means to me, I felt disrespected,” Lappin said.

On July 4th, Adam Bloom demanded the identification of a black woman and reported her to the authorities when she refused.

On July 7th an African-American millionaire, Frank Davis, found a note with a racial slur in his hotel room.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 PM

Great thread idea, IMO. Hopefully plenty of Dopers will chime in with personal anecdotes as well as goings on around the country.

For several years of international travel, my wife (a black naturalized citizen) was almost always singled out for additional security screening/interviews upon our return, while I (a white birth citizen) have never been.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 07-09-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:38 PM

Loving one's country is like loving one's kids. If your love prevents you from seeing and addressing their faults, then you can never help them become better people. I'm afraid we have far too many people who fall in that category.

The fact is that this nation was stolen from its legitimate inhabitants whom we murdered. We then developed a lot of our agricultural growth using human trafficking to provide slaves, and we then fought a Civil War because a sizable portion of the South felt it was more important to maintain their right to own another human being than it was to maintain a whole and healthy nation. In other words, we didn't get off to a very good start to say the least.

Unfortunately, those beginnings have resonated right into the 21st century. We still have supremacists who, if given a chance, would institute slavery all over again. Like their racist forbears, they truly believe Black and even brown people are subhuman and deserving of nothing in terms of equality and rights. Though there are Federal laws protecting the rights of minorities these days, it doesn't change the fact that these people are seething with rage and resentment and miss no opportunity to discriminate against or even violently confront the people they hate.

In the South, they are even more open and obvious. They glorify the Confederacy to this day with statues of its leaders and by waving their "battle flag" which is, in reality. a racist slave banner. They romanticize what was nothing more than an evil entity in the hope that people will find it charming and palatable.

The result of all this is that, in a very real sense, the Civil War is still being fought. It's just a "Cold War" now instead of a hot one. Minorities are the casualties, of course.

Is there a solution? The only hope is to open people's eyes through education and through experience with other cultures. In cities, it's much easier because you have many people of many cultures living in close proximity. In red neck country, it's another matter. You have racists, all of one mind, living together and reinforcing each other's prejudices and mindset. They teach their children those same attitudes, so it carries on and on.

Last edited by Jasmine; 07-09-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The fact is that this nation was stolen from its legitimate inhabitants whom we murdered.
Point of order: that's true of every nation. And don't forget that the native American tribes warred against each other.

Last edited by Quartz; 07-09-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Fresh today:

Woman fired for calling police on black man wearing socks in pool.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Point of order: that's true of every nation. And don't forget that the native American tribes warred against each other.
Neither of those is a point of order, but your racist horseshit is noted, thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
But we are in theory hoping to be more educated, mature and reasonable about it these days aren't we? All races and groups should be able to figure out how to get along now. For a while it looked like the world was maturing, but in the last 20 years or so I feel like we're backsliding in some areas.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't make it right.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Neither of those is a point of order, but your racist horseshit is noted, thanks.
So it's racist to point out historical fact?

You liberals are getting stupider by the day.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post

You liberals are getting stupider by the day.
Bringing up irrelevant facts in an attempt to justify or minimize historical white supremacist atrocities can be reasonably characterized as racist, yes.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 07-09-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
On July 4th, Larry Lappin was recorded flipping out because he heard Mexican-Americans celebrating the holiday with Spanish music. “Sometimes I wish they would assimilate more. I hear them playing [Spanish language] music in the backyard all the time and it doesn’t bother me. Because of the day and what July 4th means to me, I felt disrespected,” Lappin said.
Worth noting this happened in California. Lappin should remember that their ancestors were there long before his were.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Who wears socks in the pool?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post

You'd have to be a real fucking moron to think this is true. And an easily offended racist, probably, as well. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Clearly, criminal thugs who deserve to be arrested.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Clearly, criminal thugs who deserve to be arrested.
I wouldn’t say that. But it does sound peopleofWalMartesque.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

"Woman wears a Puerto Rico shirt.

A man confronts her for wearing it, repeatedly approaches her within a couple feet, and questions her citizenship.

When the woman pleads for a nearby police officer to keep the man back from her, he ignores her."

https://t.co/0YwG1rIuSl
Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t say that. But it does sound peopleofWalMartesque.
Maybe, but does that warrant calling the cops on them?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:56 PM

(missed it)

Last edited by bobot; 07-09-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but does that warrant calling the cops on them?
I wouldn’t have unless it was specifically against pool rules, I was the one employed to enforce pool rules, and they wouldn’t follow pool rules or leave. But I’d hate to be in that position because I think involving the police in petty nonsense is petty.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t have unless it was specifically against pool rules, I was the one employed to enforce pool rules, and they wouldn’t follow pool rules or leave. But I’d hate to be in that position because I think involving the police in petty nonsense is petty.
What I do in that situation is not worry about the footwear of patrons of the pool, and just make sure everyone is having a good time.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 PM

During a funeral a white priest kicked out an entire black family, including the deceased, after someone accidentally knocked over the chalice. He reportedly yelled “get that thing out of here” in reference to the deceased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...ryland-church/
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
What I do in that situation is not worry about the footwear of patrons of the pool, and just make sure everyone is having a good time.
I agree if no harm is done or explicit rules are broken. But socks might be a health violation or something. Good times are fine but not at the expense of the public’s health.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
"Woman wears a Puerto Rico shirt.

A man confronts her for wearing it, repeatedly approaches her within a couple feet, and questions her citizenship.

When the woman pleads for a nearby police officer to keep the man back from her, he ignores her."

https://t.co/0YwG1rIuSl
...the officer involved is currently on desk duty, pending an investigation. But that was horrible to watch. The officer did nothing. Literally nothing while the man intimidated the lady, stared her down and kept pushing for a confrontation. For minutes. Yet the instant the black man got involved and did no-more than what the white guy did the officer intervened.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I agree if no harm is done or explicit rules are broken. But socks might be a health violation or something. Good times are fine but not at the expense of the public’s health.
Sure. And the person calling the cops should 1) Make sure they are actually against the rules and 2) Ask the person nicely to remove them.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
But socks might be a health violation or something. Good times are fine but not at the expense of the public’s health.
God forbid somebody wear socks in the pool. Wouldn't want to get the dicks, cunts, and assholes dirty.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 PM

It is so strange that folks are freaking out about socks being in the pool, while ignoring the fact that the people's assholes, dicks, and vaginas are soaking in that same pool. With urine, snot, and saliva added as extra seasoning.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
It is so strange that folks are freaking out about socks being in the pool, while ignoring the fact that the people's assholes, dicks, and vaginas are soaking in that same pool. With urine, snot, and saliva added as extra seasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
God forbid somebody wear socks in the pool. Wouldn't want to get the dicks, cunts, and assholes dirty.
:: resolves never to get into a public pool again ::

Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
Quote:
I suppose when put that way, what’s the problem with some socks?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Of course, all of these occurrences are clearly the result of that divisive Obama presidency.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 PM

There is no question that there are many examples of the such that the op lists (I'm not referencing not the overtly hateful ones).

Question:

Are these occurring out of an assumption that a Black person is up to no good and/or an exertion of power over "the other",

or

because the caller is too scared of "the other", the Black person, to approach them directly, and ask what they are doing, or to not mow onto their side of the property line, or to please take off the socks (for whatever reason it bothered them)? Hence asking for the authorities to do it?

Neither makes the circumstance better for the person victimized but I do wonder which is more often going on inside the head of the person who made the call.

Last edited by DSeid; 07-09-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Great thread idea, IMO. Hopefully plenty of Dopers will chime in with personal anecdotes as well as goings on around the country.

For several years of international travel, my wife (a black naturalized citizen) was almost always singled out for additional security screening/interviews upon our return, while I (a white birth citizen) have never been.
You mean a foreign national gets additional scrutiny than a native born American? How shocking. Same thing happened to my Japanese born wife.

Way to feed the troll.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 PM

Ofmadsircool must be pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
You mean a foreign national gets additional scrutiny than a native born American? How shocking. Same thing happened to my Japanese born wife.

Way to feed the troll.
It's about time white folks be open about their profiling.

Wait a minute, did this clown just call me a troll? Well, sir, I think it's shitty that you throw your wife under the bus. Your wife is inconvenienced because the color of her skin and you're OK with that because ... reasons? What a clown you are: riding on the high horse of your white privilege while Ofmadsircool is descriminated against. And you're cool with that. Monster is as a Monster does. Let's be clear, Commander Madsircool, you weren't strong enough for a black woman, a white woman, an Asian-American woman, or a latina woman so you snatch a foreigner from her lands, drag her to the US, allow her to be subjected to discrimination, then dismiss the discrimination she receives as routine? Geez. Is Ofmadsircool happy? Does Ofmadsircool to wear red, blue, or grey? How does Ofmadsircool like the weather we've been sent? Does Ofmadsircool work, or do you support her financially?

Last edited by Huey Freeman; 07-09-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
What part of "naturalized" did you fail to understand? A naturalized citizen is not a foreign national.

Quote:
Way to feed the troll.
Dammit, now you've got me doing it.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But socks might be a health violation or something. Good times are fine but not at the expense of the public’s health.
The fact that you think there's any chance whatsoever that socks are a health code violation makes me think you need to wash your nasty-ass socks, octopus, Christ Almighty.

So here's something I've been wondering about.

What the shit?

That is, what the shit is happening here? For real. Why are we hearing about all these incidents? Are racists validated by Trump, and they're braver with their racist bullshit and more willing to call cops on innocent black people than they were five years ago? Or is the prevalence of cellphones enabling the victims of these racist fucks to record proof of what black people have been going through for yonks? Or is this a hashtag metoo twittertrend moment, where these recordings have been around for a decade or so but are only making news now, for roughly the same reason that fidget spinners made the news this time last year--that is, they're something shiny for journalists to focus on, and in a year they'll be forgotten?

Or is it a combination of these things, or something I'm not even seeing?

What the shit, y'all?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

91-year-old man beaten with brick, told 'go back to Mexico'
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/us/me...les/index.html

Police are searching for 4 man and a woman.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
91-year-old man beaten with brick, told 'go back to Mexico'
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/09/us/me...les/index.html

Police are searching for 4 man and a woman.
That was mentioned in the OP.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The fact that you think there's any chance whatsoever that socks are a health code violation makes me think you need to wash your nasty-ass socks, octopus, Christ Almighty.

So here's something I've been wondering about.

What the shit?

That is, what the shit is happening here? For real. Why are we hearing about all these incidents? Are racists validated by Trump, and they're braver with their racist bullshit and more willing to call cops on innocent black people than they were five years ago? Or is the prevalence of cellphones enabling the victims of these racist fucks to record proof of what black people have been going through for yonks? Or is this a hashtag metoo twittertrend moment, where these recordings have been around for a decade or so but are only making news now, for roughly the same reason that fidget spinners made the news this time last year--that is, they're something shiny for journalists to focus on, and in a year they'll be forgotten?

Or is it a combination of these things, or something I'm not even seeing?

What the shit, y'all?
I can’t be the only one with crunchy socks.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
What part of "naturalized" did you fail to understand? A naturalized citizen is not a foreign national.

Dammit, now you've got me doing it.
She was naturalized. She saved tens of thousands on university.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Way to feed the troll.
Trolls ask for permission to start threads? How derpy of you.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Quote:
Perhaps at least as much (probably more) to the point, who responds to seeing that by calling the cops?
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Of course, all of these occurrences are clearly the result of that divisive Obama presidency.
It was divisive. Because he kept pronouncing it “divissive.”
Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can’t be the only one with crunchy socks.
Wash yer fuckin socks, dude, all eight of 'em.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Or is the prevalence of cellphones enabling the victims of these racist fucks to record proof of what black people have been going through for yonks?
I'm thinking this one - coupled with media pushback at Trumpism as another factor.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
During a funeral a white priest kicked out an entire black family, including the deceased, after someone accidentally knocked over the chalice. He reportedly yelled “get that thing out of here” in reference to the deceased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...ryland-church/
He's been placed on administrative leave - you know, the same sort of thing the Church does with paedophiles. I expect he'll just be moved to a different diocese.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
On July 4th, [/URL]Rodolfo Rodriguez, a 92 year old Hispanic-American was beaten with a brick. During the attack, the assailant said "Go back to your own country."
The beating was begun by a black woman and she is the one who said, "Go back to your own country."

It kind of helps to know the story.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:

Way to feed the troll.
Who's a foreign national? Certainly not me or my wife. We're both citizens.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 AM

octopus, what are you doing with your socks to make them crunchy?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
WAG: something to do with athletes foot?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
octopus, what are you doing with your socks to make them crunchy?
Don't ask questions that you don't want to know the answer to.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
The beating was begun by a black woman and she is the one who said, "Go back to your own country."

It kind of helps to know the story.
I'm embarrassed that my country has people like these attackers in it. At the same time, I'm gratified to know that it has people like this in it.