Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Tales of White Privilege

(Just gonna place this one in the Pit so I can properly mock all the racists when they come in here and deny my/our experiences, or helpfully explain that there is no such thing as white privilege. Also, it may help them stop hijacking Huey's thread with their bullshit.)

So I'm gonna pop in here with some tales of white privilege which I have experienced or witnessed (usually experienced). I'm a 51yo white guy with a professional demeanor and I see this stuff happen all the time. It happens to me regularly.

But let's start with a story that I was involved in, but the privilege was somebody else's...

So, my kid was at a party a month ago and to kill 2, 3 hours before I picked her up, I turned on the Uber driver app. First call, about a mile from her school.

I get there and there are two PD vehicles, lights going, and a 50-something white man, looking a bit disheveled, is there with the two cops, arguing with them... "this is bullshit. Don't you have anything better to do?", idiocies like that.

Apparently, Mr Man was such an asshole to his previous Uber driver to the point he got kicked out, with the driver calling the PD. Usually this would result in a ticket, a warning, perhaps some time in the local drunk tank to cool off.

The police... get this... USED THE MANS PHONE TO CALL HIM ANOTHER UBER!

So I look at my app and note it's going to a section of town with million-$ houses. Get the guy in my car, the cops tell me to take him home, and we're off.

... Not 30 seconds out, the man says "We're not going home, I want to go downtown."

Well, I take him downtown - can't do otherwise right, else it's kidnapping.

On the way down he says "I want you to take me to <intersection> 'cause I wanna buy some crack."

(!!!)

"Not in my fucking car you are!"

So Mr White starts arguing with me!

"Dude, don't be a dick like that other guy (referencing the other Uber driver). We'll just go to the convenience store and they'll give it to me through the window. I do this all the time."

"Well, you're not doing it in my car."

Anyway, I take him close to his intersection, drop him off next to a PD car (so he won't be physically belligerent), and drove off.

But he was successful in his quest, and I know this because he left me a $20 tip 2 days later.

So, uh, yeah. If you look like a white executive you can be abrasive and abusive towards people, have the cops called on you because of this, and even if the problem was your Uber driver doesn't want to assist you in committing a crime, the cops will call you an Uber so you can go successfully buy crack and make it home 30 miles away with no problem.

So that's one tale among many. What are yours?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM

I get offered drugs all the time.by dealers I don know. guess I look affluent and non-threatening.

Also hair products, I can use anything on the shelves, my (black) wife has to go searching for expensive stuff that few places stock. She's always saying how lucky son is to have more European hair.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious View Post
I get offered drugs all the time.by dealers I don know. guess I look affluent and non-threatening.
People are always throwing drugs through my open car windows.

But the cops never believe me.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM

In Asia, people can get hired as English teachers if they're white, even if their English is terrible, while ethnically Asian people with great English get passed over due to, well, not being white.

To be fair, it goes both ways; schools in America would probably want to hire a brown-skinned person to teach Arabic or Mandarin rather than a white person who doesn't look the part.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:52 PM

There’s a new breed of Mexican heroin dealer that refuses to sell to black people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/o...oin-needs.html
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Word is, Col. Sanders got away with using the n-word.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM

A lot of good example here.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:19 PM

Here's a Tale of "White Priviledge" for ya...

Look around this country and try to imagine where literally just about every goddamned thing in it came from: White People. Misogynistic, greedy, racist mutherfuckin' white people.

And you wonder why all the white priviledge bullshit?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Not that long ago, I went to a local supermarket in the less affluent part of town. It's a nice enough market but it's almost always crowded with long checkout lanes. I was probably the only white, non-latino person in the store at the time and dressed reasonably nicely. So, like everyone else, I'm standing in a long line waiting my turn when the store decides to open another register. Sure enough, the checkout person walks past several other lines and tells me to come over to the brand new line she's opening. I even told her that all these other people were there before me and she just looked annoyed and said "Just please come over".
Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro1Y4ynrcf8

nuff said.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:18 PM

I saw a police officer use a Taser to subdue some drunk white idiot. Every single person commented that the guy was lucky he didn't get shot. That's white privilege.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
A quick poll: A. The black guy should have been treated just like the white guy.
B. The white guy should have been treated just like the black guy.
C. You're cool with the disparate treatment.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
A quick poll: A. The black guy should have been treated just like the white guy.
D. They ought to be treated the same.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM

That was kind of A (or B). So you basically don't care which?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Look around this country and try to imagine where literally just about every goddamned thing in it came from: White People. Misogynistic, greedy, racist mutherfuckin' white people.

Yeah, when I look around this country, and I see racism, and inequality, and suffering, I do see that just about all of it comes from white people. Very good observation.

As far as the building of the wealth and infrastructure of this country, that was not done by white people. That was done by immigrants, voluntary or otherwise, who were not considered to be white by the ruling nativist supremacist class of the time.

Back to the topic:

Here's a white privilege story, and I'm pretty sure statue of limitations has passed on all of it.

This is nearly 20 years ago, and I'm driving with 4 of my friends in my car to a hemp-fest. We got pretty well blazed before heading out on this 1 1/2 hour trip. I don't know exactly the contraband that we were carrying, but there was quite a bit.

So, we are going down this back road, and I don't know exactly how fast I am going, as my speedometer had broken a few years prior, but, it's pretty damn fast. As I come up over a rise, I see the lights on top of a police car ahead coming in my direction, and I slam on my brakes.

Of course, he pulls a U-turn behind me and comes up with his lights on.

I pull to the side of the road, and as the officer is approaching my car, I realize that I am wearing an implicitive t-shirt, so I quickly zip my jacket up, just as he is coming to my window. White officer, of course.

I roll down my window, and he asks, "Where are you going in such a hurry?" He says this in a bit of a drawl. Not exactly southern, but more the semi accent sported by the ruralites around here.

"I do apologize, officer, we are on our way to go camping. It's been a while, and we were quite excited." I matched his accent, having known many people from these areas, I was quite familiar with it. Not in a mocking way, but in a way that seemed to make him relax a bit.

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Sorry, officer, I wasn't paying very close attention to my speed until I saw you."

"Well, I clocked you at 93mph, and you had ample time to slow down before I got a reading."

I grimace at the officer. "Like I said, we were just really excited. It's been years since any of us have gotten a chance to go camping."

"Where you heading?"

I replied with the name of a campground I knew was in that general direction. "I was wanting to get the campsite behind the quad, it's a bit more isolated from the others. If they don't have anything available, then we might try over at ...."

He asks me what kind of tent I have. I reply, "When I was in Boy Scouts, I had a really nice Eureka dome tent, but since my nephew joined a couple years ago, I gave him that. Now I just have something that I bought at Wal-Mart yesterday."

He says, "Well, the weather tonight is supposed to be pretty beautiful, so you shouldn't need much. Nice of you to help your nephew along."

So, we chat for a few minutes about camping and boy scouts. Finally, he says to me, "Well, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket. If you were just going 10 or 15 over, I'd give you a warning, but you were nearly 40 over. So, what I'm going to do is write you up for 74 in a 55, that way, you won't have to go to court."

I thank the nice officer, and pull away.

I strongly believe that, had I been black, things would not have gone so smoothly.

And it wasn't just that I had white skin. It was that I had white experiences. The cop identified with me because he felt that we had similar interests, and as such, he wanted to do what he could to help me out.

That's where the real privilege exists. When you see someone that looks like you, you assume that they have similar interests as you do, and have to be disabused of that notion on every point. If you see someone that looks different, you assume that they have no similar interests, and you are surprised for every point of similarity.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 07-12-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Once I killed a foreigner just to watch them die and the police just hi-fived me and said 'way to go Whitey, we'll get them all yet' then they took me for ice cream and we didn't have to pay because we were white.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm a darker-skinned white person. In both Spanish-speaking countries and some Asian countries I will be spoken to in the local language if I'm alone and not looking touristy, which is never the case for my fluorescent white partner. I've been threatened and hassled explicitly for presumably being a POC, as well as followed around in stores (presumably so I don't shoplift), which doesn't happen to my partner or other lighter-skinned white friends.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Once I killed a foreigner just to watch them die and the police just hi-fived me and said 'way to go Whitey, we'll get them all yet' then they took me for ice cream and we didn't have to pay because we were white.
You're a member of the border patrol?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post

Sorry, I started my country-examination in the produce section of my supermarket. It didn't really turn out how you described.

As for white privilege, I live in an area that's so white (and was even whiter when I was younger) that I don't really have a basis for direct comparison. I have had a traffic stop or two where I was speeding and got let off, but my takeaway was that I was let off because I came off like an apologetic idiot. The time I didn't sound like an apologetic idiot but rather a confrontational arguer I got a ticket that could better be described as a reaming.

If you were to tell me that a non-white person wouldn't have escaped my other tickets the way I did, I'd be inclined to believe you.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

I was once the victim of non-violent, but personally upsetting, anti-white racism. It was unprovoked aside from my wandering into the wrong place across the wrong crowd at the wrong time, as far as I can tell.

White privilege means I dealt with some assholes once and it hurt my feelings... as opposed to dealing with that sort of mistreatment or worse on a regular basis. I don't know how well I'd handle it, if I faced behavior like that regularly and not as a one-off situation, or how I'd handle being treated with perpetual suspicion.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
well, A would be immediately fair but I worry about brown guys.

B should eventually lead to better police behavior for all - if not we are all equally screwed.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
... And it wasn't just that I had white skin. It was that I had white experiences. The cop identified with me because he felt that we had similar interests, and as such, he wanted to do what he could to help me out.

That's where the real privilege exists. When you see someone that looks like you, you assume that they have similar interests as you do, and have to be disabused of that notion on every point. If you see someone that looks different, you assume that they have no similar interests, and you are surprised for every point of similarity.
I think you're right about this. It may be a fundamental of human psychology.

As for my own experiences with white privilege, I'd say the fact that I've walked through hundreds of stores over the years without ever being followed around by a staff member, probably qualifies.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
(Just gonna place this one in the Pit so I can properly mock all the racists when they come in here and deny my/our experiences, or helpfully explain that there is no such thing as white privilege. Also, it may help them stop hijacking Huey's thread with their bullshit.)

So I'm gonna pop in here with some tales of white privilege which I have experienced or witnessed (usually experienced). I'm a 51yo white guy with a professional demeanor and I see this stuff happen all the time. It happens to me regularly.

But let's start with a story that I was involved in, but the privilege was somebody else's...

So, my kid was at a party a month ago and to kill 2, 3 hours before I picked her up, I turned on the Uber driver app. First call, about a mile from her school.

I get there and there are two PD vehicles, lights going, and a 50-something white man, looking a bit disheveled, is there with the two cops, arguing with them... "this is bullshit. Don't you have anything better to do?", idiocies like that.

Apparently, Mr Man was such an asshole to his previous Uber driver to the point he got kicked out, with the driver calling the PD. Usually this would result in a ticket, a warning, perhaps some time in the local drunk tank to cool off.

The police... get this... USED THE MANS PHONE TO CALL HIM ANOTHER UBER!

So I look at my app and note it's going to a section of town with million-$ houses. Get the guy in my car, the cops tell me to take him home, and we're off.

... Not 30 seconds out, the man says "We're not going home, I want to go downtown."

Well, I take him downtown - can't do otherwise right, else it's kidnapping.

On the way down he says "I want you to take me to <intersection> 'cause I wanna buy some crack."

(!!!)

"Not in my fucking car you are!"

So Mr White starts arguing with me!

"Dude, don't be a dick like that other guy (referencing the other Uber driver). We'll just go to the convenience store and they'll give it to me through the window. I do this all the time."

"Well, you're not doing it in my car."

Anyway, I take him close to his intersection, drop him off next to a PD car (so he won't be physically belligerent), and drove off.

But he was successful in his quest, and I know this because he left me a $20 tip 2 days later.

So, uh, yeah. If you look like a white executive you can be abrasive and abusive towards people, have the cops called on you because of this, and even if the problem was your Uber driver doesn't want to assist you in committing a crime, the cops will call you an Uber so you can go successfully buy crack and make it home 30 miles away with no problem.

So that's one tale among many. What are yours?
That is some serious bullshit. He should have been busted by the first cops.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM

John T. wrote: "So I look at my app and note it's going to a section of town with million-$ houses. Get the guy in my car, the cops tell me to take him home, and we're off.

Well, I take him downtown - can't do otherwise right, else it's kidnapping. "

You could argue that since the cops told you to take him home, that by doing so, even against his express wishes, you're acting under, forgive the expression, color of authority. After all, he couldn't accuse the cops of kidnapping if they arrested him.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 PM

I volunteer in a group that circulates around 40 people. Occasionally I will be the only white person in a group of say 8 people. I am always put on the register. I argue that someone else should learn how to use the register. No way, they don't want to handle money. If they knew how many mistakes I make I am sure they would kick me to the curb. I am never questioned or asked why something costs that amount. Because I am white and courteous (usually) it's accepted I know what I am doing. They are so wrong.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 07-12-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

White privilege isn't generally about getting some special favor. It's about things that don't happen. It's about going into a store and not having a security guard follow you around. It's about walking down the street and not have strangers cross over to the other side of the street. It's about driving through a small town and not getting pulled over by the police. It's about not having people express surprise when you mention that you have a job or a high school diploma or a husband. It's about not being routinely mistaken for some other white person who doesn't look anything like you. It's about having a police officer approach you and not wondering if you're going to survive the encounter. These are things that white people all take for granted as just their normal life but black people don't.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 07-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Friend of Cecil

Nothing to add -- just wanted to say, great thread! Thanks to all.
I am as privileged as they come...so many things I've taken for granted over the years.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 PM

This board is going to shit. Or does that make me a racist?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Laura View Post
I was once the victim of non-violent, but personally upsetting, anti-white racism. It was unprovoked aside from my wandering into the wrong place across the wrong crowd at the wrong time, as far as I can tell.

White privilege means I dealt with some assholes once and it hurt my feelings... as opposed to dealing with that sort of mistreatment or worse on a regular basis. I don't know how well I'd handle it, if I faced behavior like that regularly and not as a one-off situation, or how I'd handle being treated with perpetual suspicion.
Bingo.

Once when I was young, I got followed around in a clothing store because I didn't look sufficiently affluent to afford the merchandise. It was disturbing and embarrassing and made me feel rotten.

But I'm white. And it's only happened once to me. I can't imagine how black folks cope with it happening over and over and over again.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 AM

I won't get into specifics but fair to say I did my fair share of young, immature, stupid shit when I was in high school and college. I know enough to know that whites are allowed to get shit out of their system, whereas blacks are criminalized from early childhood.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
This board is going to shit. Or does that make me a racist?
Depends. Why do you think it's going to shit?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Depends. Why do you think it's going to shit?
It's all those losers from Filthadelphia. Any time something goes to shit it's because of people from Filthadelphia.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 07-13-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
I can't imagine how black folks cope with it happening over and over and over again.
African Americans Have Higher Risks of Stroke
Fatal First Heart Attacks More Common in Blacks
Why Is Hypertension More Common in African Americans?
Stress And Poverty May Explain High Rates Of Dementia In African-Americans
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 AM

I remember the first time I went down to pay my taxes, I was so sincere, with my tax forms and bankbook. Of course dad had forgotten to tell me that we whites only pretend to pay taxes. But the woman behind the desk took me aside and explained it all. Then we shared a cup of black baby blood, and went out for icecream.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

So, like I said, I have what is called a professional demeanor and look. I prefer long-sleeved, button down shirts, khaki's/slacks, etc, kinda look like Bill Gates, etc.

Being mistaken for the boss is so common it barely registers. Bookstores. Grocery stores. Lowes. Home Depot. Insurance agencies. Restaurants.

"Excuse me, sir, can you help me..."
"I want to talk to you about one of your employees..."
"I just wanted to say I really enjoy your store."
"I have a complaint and you look like the man I need to speak to..."

Now, again, part of this is inherent in how I present myself, so there is likely some classism present... after all, if I had a gun tattooed to my face, nobody would think I'm the boss of anything.

But as this has been going on for over thirty years, in Atlanta, Knoxville, San Antonio, and points in between... the time I was interrupted with an "excuse me, professor" while in a Boston Borders (who knows what school they thought I represented (obviously Hahvahd or MIT ))... that glasses and long-sleeved shirts aren't the only reasons this happens.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

The other day, I rolled through a stop sign. Immediately after doing so, I look up in my rear view mirror and see there is a cop behind me.

I thought to myself "Shit! That was stupid of me."

And after about 30 seconds when I realized he wasn't going to pull me over, I thought to myself: "Whew! It's good to be white!"
Old 07-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I remember the first time I went down to pay my taxes, I was so sincere, with my tax forms and bankbook. Of course dad had forgotten to tell me that we whites only pretend to pay taxes. But the woman behind the desk took me aside and explained it all. Then we shared a cup of black baby blood, and went out for icecream.
You guys are hilarious. And a little late to the party.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
But as this has been going on for over thirty years, in Atlanta, Knoxville, San Antonio, and points in between... the time I was interrupted with an "excuse me, professor" while in a Boston Borders (who knows what school they thought I represented (obviously Hahvahd or MIT ))... that glasses and long-sleeved shirts aren't the only reasons this happens.
Probably not the compliment you think. "Professor" is also a term used around here for smart-ass holier than though types.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

True. And while I give no ground on the ability to be a holier than thou smart ass (note the correct spelling ( )), I was merely browsing Borders.

Maybe they thought I was the sole book reader on their minor league team. Maybe they thought I was Greg Maddux. Yeah, that's it - I was mistaken for 4-time Cy Young winner Greg Maddux.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I shot a black guy for making eye contact with me, and I got five thousand airline miles on my credit card.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
You're a little late to the party.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
White people don't have to put any effort into comedy but other white people will still laugh and give them money. How else can you explain Pauly Shore, Adam Sandler and Larry the Cable Guy?

ETA: Or Shodan?

Last edited by Blank Slate; 07-13-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: No reason you cunt
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM

Seriously, give Barmy credit for being hip to cutting-edge pop culture you guys.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:20 AM

Don't be so jealous. I'm sure you occasionally post something worthwhile.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
Don't be so jealous. I'm sure you occasionally post something worthwhile.
I would certainly hope not.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I'm not late; I'm running on Wypipo's Time.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:53 AM

I don't knoiw what's supposed to be so hilarious about "The Uploader Has Not MAde This Video Available In Your Country". I guess all comedy is not universal.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I don't knoiw what's supposed to be so hilarious about "The Uploader Has Not MAde This Video Available In Your Country". I guess all comedy is not universal.
It's the way they tell it.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Bingo.

Once when I was young, I got followed around in a clothing store because I didn't look sufficiently affluent to afford the merchandise. It was disturbing and embarrassing and made me feel rotten.

But I'm white. And it's only happened once to me. I can't imagine how black folks cope with it happening over and over and over again.
Yahtzee.

I frequently shop in "the poor side of town". I always know I'm going to get attitude and shite service but it's what I can afford. It serves as a good reminder of what many black people go through all the damn time and is a quick effective, lesson for anyone who denies the concept of WP.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Ugh. Donít get me started on American privilege.