Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM

I'm frightened for my country

This is what I think about the Stormy Daniels arrest. No proof, just based on the character of the POTUS and the people he surrounds himself with. I'm afraid because apparently Trump's thugs managed to pressure the police into arresting Stormy Daniels. And since he is wealthy and IS the president they didn't dare say no. He is a creep by just his actions and comments about women but to do something like this, he has to be hugely naive to think the American people would ever believe this was a legitimate arrest (charges were dismissed) but there are people out there who think what she does is a sin, but what he does is fine. Usually those orthodox Christians who think God has spoken to them about sin. Deluded. There have been many nations on earth that have come and gone but they usually last longer than 200+ years. Looks like we aren't going to make it much past that point until this man-whore, cretin brings us down.

Last edited by contradancer; 07-12-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Take a deep breath, go for a walk, and back off the ledge.

From what I've read, it was just part of a vice operation. Perhaps some small town co (Ok, Columbus isn't a small town, but still) just wanted to make a name for himself.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 PM

The charges against her were dismissed, anyway. And if Trump really wanted to have her put away, don't you think he could managed something more serious to charge her with than a lousy misdemeanor? I don't see anything other than a routine vice violation which ended up getting dropped.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:12 PM

I'm also frightened for my country

While I find OP's specific example very unconvincing, I am also frightened for my country.

I've bookmarked(*) this song sung for the Inauguration of January 2009 Look at the joy and optimism on the many faces singing along. I watch wistfully.
Just nine years later, we live in a completely different country.

The 38% of America that wants to hate reacted with hate to the joy of 2009 and turned out in 2016 to elect a Hater-in-Chief. Perhaps the Democrats will regain control in the coming decade—though I wouldn't count on it—but even if they do, the country will never be the same again. That joy and optimism will be tainted for the foreseeable future. Historians debate what event or even century to associate with the downfall of the Roman Empire, but all thinking Americans alive today know exactly what event will mark America's downfall in history books a century from now.

I am frightened. But mostly I am extremely saddened for my country.

(* - I'm not sure when I bookmarked this video. But checking the timestamp just now I see I downloaded it on October 29, 2016! )
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Minorities in this country have been arrested, detained, brutally beaten, and killed, in huge numbers, for years, for basically no reason at all; thousands of people have been locked in cages for having a plant; we have a private prison industry that stays in business by packing warehouses full of human beings against their will; and it's the arrest of Stormy Daniels that is finally the last straw for you?

Quote:
Usually those orthodox Christians who think God has spoken to them about sin. Deluded.
I think another word for those "Christians" would be a better descriptor than "orthodox" which is a legitimate religious denomination (though usually capitalized.)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Also, I think the OP should seriously consider using a less confrontational signature. Capping off every post with that statement about religion essentially turns the post into Debate material and, frankly, is arrogant.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM

That's some mighty fine TDS there, contradancer. Mighty fine.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The charges against her were dismissed, anyway. And if Trump really wanted to have her put away, don't you think he could managed something more serious to charge her with than a lousy misdemeanor? I don't see anything other than a routine vice violation which ended up getting dropped.
Except this is Trump. It's completely believable he would do something like this.

This is not the first time Clifford has been threatened. There there have been two other occasions where some stranger would approach her in public and tell her she shouldn't bother Trump if she knew what was good for her. No proof that these people actually worked for Trump. But does it really matter if people are seeking out his "enemies" at his orders or on their own initiative?

Trump himself has spoken about people using "second amendment remedies" against his political opponents. And he's a fanboy of people like Putin, Xi, Kim, and Duterte who have their political enemies killed.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Except this is Trump. It's completely believable he would do something like this.
No. It is not.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Minorities in this country have been arrested, detained, brutally beaten, and killed, in huge numbers, for years, for basically no reason at all; thousands of people have been locked in cages for having a plant; we have a private prison industry that stays in business by packing warehouses full of human beings against their will; and it's the arrest of Stormy Daniels that is finally the last straw for you?
The US has always had traits of dictatorship towards people society doesn't value. Ask black people in Mississippi in 1940 about the bill of rights, see what they say.

I do worry, because about 30 million American voters don't respect democracy or western values, and another 30 million voters are their enablers.

I think we are becoming like Poland or turkey. Angry rural folks upset by multiculturalism and turning back the clock on western values.

I used to think as they died off, the country would get better. But who knows. Maybe their kids will be just as bad.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contradancer View Post
...There have been many nations on earth that have come and gone but they usually last longer than 200+ years. Looks like we aren't going to make it much past that point until this man-whore, cretin brings us down.
Your concern is perfectly valid. However, I would advise that you do not panic just yet. Let's see how the midterm elections go. If my fellow stupid fucking Americans allow Republicans control, then I wouldn't blame you for losing hope. But at least give it till November.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Take a deep breath, go for a walk, and back off the ledge.

From what I've read, it was just part of a vice operation. Perhaps some small town co (Ok, Columbus isn't a small town, but still) just wanted to make a name for himself.
Umm.

Wouldn’t it be better if he backs off the ledge first, THEN goes for a walk?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Inside the mind of Donald J. Trump:

"How can I humiliate Stormy Daniels and get her to leave me alone? I know. I'll send some vice cops into the strip club where she's dancing and wait until she touches them. They'll arrest her and maybe she'll get ten days in jail and a $500 fine. That'll shut the bitch up. What? She's not a regular dancer there, so they dropped the charges? Curses, foiled again!"

It's just an acorn, Chicken Little.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Inside the mind of Donald J. Trump:

"How can I humiliate Stormy Daniels and get her to leave me alone? I know. I'll send some vice cops into the strip club where she's dancing and wait until she touches them. They'll arrest her and maybe she'll get ten days in jail and a $500 fine. That'll shut the bitch up. What? She's not a regular dancer there, so they dropped the charges? Curses, foiled again!"

It's just an acorn, Chicken Little.
If I'm reading you right, you're proposing that there's a plan too stupid for Trump to attempt. I'm not sure I agree with that logic.

Now, if you wanted to make the argument that it's would be too hard for him to exercise this much executive power, on account of it requiring him to do more than move his thumbs (which are highly toned after extensive phone and TV remote usage), then you might have a point there.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:37 PM

I kind of think some local Trump loving LEO thought this up on his own. I believe it was related to who she is, but I don’t see President PeePee’s tiny handprints on it.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
The US has always had traits of dictatorship towards people society doesn't value. Ask black people in Mississippi in 1940 about the bill of rights, see what they say.

I do worry, because about 30 million American voters don't respect democracy or western values, and another 30 million voters are their enablers.

I think we are becoming like Poland or turkey. Angry rural folks upset by multiculturalism and turning back the clock on western values.
The timeline disagrees. The US was already like this. Poland and Turkey are following your lead. Perhaps because (imaginary quote) "If the Americans are acting this way, we're in danger unless we do the same".

The Russians, being larger and more powerful than Poland or Turkey, are just exercising their fingers in response; left-hand middle finger up, right-hand index finger on the red button.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 AM

from the little I've seen

I was born in CA. My ancestors landed here in the 1700's. I'm American. I'm not extensively traveled but I have lived in Australia, Poland, Germany, Lithuania. In Vilnius I took a walk through the underground torture chambers and prison in a large building downtown. On the top floor lived the SS and their families. Don't want to relive what they did to those people down below. Most were Jews, grabbed off the streets with no warning. The people walking around in a town freed from the Russians only a scant two years prior to when I lived there, when you looked into their eyes they were haunted by memories of an indescribable fear. I reacted by often having this dread in the pit of my stomach, like I was taking on their experiences. I saw the pits where the Germans just dumped dead bodies, not far out of town. I am not normally melodramatic, but Trump has created this possibility for Americans and dragged it over that line I never thought we would cross in my lifetime. Stormy being arrested adds one more thing as we creep towards that nightmare of living like they do in, for example, the Congo or the Philippines. well, you have to see it and feel it. I hope to God Trump is not reelected and has to suffer the consequences of his maniacal decisions. I believe in the implications of the small things people do. He forced an aged woman and her brother to walk miles every day to haul water to their small farm because one of his golf courses disrupted their water supply. He has no kindness, no compassion, just a dick that he wants to put in every female he can get away with. That is his definition of manhood. He's pitiful and very, very dangerous. I'm not sure about my handle? I used to contradance, so I used it.

Last edited by contradancer; 07-13-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM

His group of thugs, there for many years, just follow orders. Get some dirt on that broad I can use later if this ever goes to court. Or that I can bring up later when I'm running for re-election and spouting all kinds of promises, bringing in people like this sinful woman who accused him falsely. Listen, I have a brother in law who is a fundamentalist preacher. They are evil if you are not part of their belief system. It's a good way to get votes.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
He forced an aged woman and her brother to walk miles every day to haul water to their small farm because one of his golf courses disrupted their water supply.
Um, can I see a cite for that?
Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
The elderly woman is called Mollie Forbes. Here's some background

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a7383311.html

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 07-13-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I kind of think some local Trump loving LEO thought this up on his own. I believe it was related to who she is, but I don’t see President PeePee’s tiny handprints on it.
Which is still worrisome, as it reflects how his local-level devotees feel emboldened to do whatever it takes/they want, to "put in their place" those who are not on his side. Which as mentioned, any Black or Latino citizen will tell you is not a new idea.

And BTW, enforcement of "arm's length" anti-lapdance laws/ordinances about strip joints is a joke in many states or localities that have them, being mostly just this, a harassment tool. They only get dusted off when you want to make a show of it or if neighbors are complaining of a nuisance or if you need some sort of probable cause for arrests to then seek what else may be up.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 07-13-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

I used to think as they died off, the country would get better. But who knows. Maybe their kids will be just as bad.
The country would be better off if people who disagreed with you died? That does not seem like a healthy attitude.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
The country would be better off if people who disagreed with you died? That does not seem like a healthy attitude.
Meh, beats wanting to help them die. (I'm suddenly reminded of a sticker I saw on a car coming to work this morning: "If you don't want to stand behind our military, try standing in front of them." Umm...)

Also, he's not wishing them dead; he's recognizing that if they did happen to die they would improve the situation by their absence, because while they're around they act and vote in unpleasant ways. That's hardly a controversial opinion, for the given definitions of "improve" and "pleasant".

Last edited by begbert2; 07-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
I don't think he's talking about people who simply disagree with him. At least, I hope not.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I agree.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Vote.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Vote.
This is advice that works best if you're in a swing state, mind you. Myself all I've gotten from voting was a profound sense that I'd wasted my time - a sense that was borne out in the election outcomes.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You saw the cite.

No admission that the statement has been 100% proven?

Ahhhhh... must be that "Fake News" stuff that's going around.........................................
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
You saw the cite.

Ahhhhh... must be that "Fake News" stuff that's going around.........................................
You're talking about a guy who thought "No. It is not." was a strong rebuttal.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM

From today's Columbus Dispatch:

"Franklin County municipal court records show 15 people have been charged under the illegal touching law so far in 2018, up from 16 in 2017 and seven in 2016."

I'm willing to bet that most of those charged were not Stormy Daniels.*

The article also notes that the Ohio law against touching customers "states it is illegal for an employee who regularly appears nude or semi-nude on the premises of a sexually oriented business." So the "mistake" referenced by the police chief in describing the dismissing of charges appears to have been made in that Daniels wasn't a "regular" at the club. Or maybe the dismissal and official investigation of the arresting officers' motives are all part of an elaborate plan by the Trumpians to plunge us into the dark ages of repression.
Quote:
In Vilnius I took a walk through the underground torture chambers and prison in a large building downtown. On the top floor lived the SS and their families. Don't want to relive what they did to those people down below. Most were Jews, grabbed off the streets with no warning.
First they came for the strippers, and then...

*which is not to say that none of them ever dated Donald Trump.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
First they came for the strippers, and then...
Not funny.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Not funny.
Quite true.

Godwin attempts are occasionally a bit amusing in their ineptitude, but the OP's contradance manages to be pitifully lame and offensive at the same time, without the benefit of humor.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You saw the cite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
You're talking about a guy who thought "No. It is not." was a strong rebuttal.
Don't need to. I can accept a cite without comment, can't I? That doesn't mean I accept the validity of the OP, though.

Last edited by cochrane; 07-13-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Agreed.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
This is advice that works best if you're in a swing state, mind you. Myself all I've gotten from voting was a profound sense that I'd wasted my time - a sense that was borne out in the election outcomes.
Well... Yes and no.

Trump and congress are so bad it has turned me into a party instead of policy voter. I will vote for anyone in all elections as long as they don't have an (R) next to their name. Sheriff to County Clerk. Maybe, MAYBE if congress sees this shift they will do their god dam job and get rid of this asshole.

I will now be voting that way for the rest of my life. The republican party needs to change or go away.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Harassing sex workers and harassing women who stand up for themselves is nothing new, while I'm not a fan of Trump it's just silly to treat cops bullying a minority as some new feature of the Trump era.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You saw the cite.

It sounds like a problem with the local government and not Trump. If the local government caves to the demands of a real estate mogul, that is a government problem.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I actually mused that this latest event might have been engineered by anti-trump forces. It put the embarrassing Stormy scandal back in the headlines and created a bit more taint around trump by association. The thought wasn’t serious, but still, this story doesn’t seem like a win for the Trillion Ton Toddler.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I was born in CA. My ancestors landed here in the 1700's. I'm American. I'm not extensively traveled but I have lived in Australia, Poland, Germany, Lithuania. In Vilnius I took a walk through the underground torture chambers and prison in a large building downtown. On the top floor lived the SS and their families. Don't want to relive what they did to those people down below. Most were Jews, grabbed off the streets with no warning. The people walking around in a town freed from the Russians only a scant two years prior to when I lived there, when you looked into their eyes they were haunted by memories of an indescribable fear. I reacted by often having this dread in the pit of my stomach, like I was taking on their experiences. I saw the pits where the Germans just dumped dead bodies, not far out of town. I am not normally melodramatic, but Trump has created this possibility for Americans and dragged it over that line I never thought we would cross in my lifetime. Stormy being arrested adds one more thing as we creep towards that nightmare of living like they do in, for example, the Congo or the Philippines. well, you have to see it and feel it. I hope to God Trump is not reelected and has to suffer the consequences of his maniacal decisions. I believe in the implications of the small things people do. He forced an aged woman and her brother to walk miles every day to haul water to their small farm because one of his golf courses disrupted their water supply. He has no kindness, no compassion, just a dick that he wants to put in every female he can get away with. That is his definition of manhood. He's pitiful and very, very dangerous. I'm not sure about my handle? I used to contradance, so I used it.
Contradancer- I can't begin to speak to what you have seen. But completely agree that trump is a villain. There are plenty of words to describe him, but to be short, villain will serve the pupose.

My Wife and I visited Bavaria a few years ago. On that trip I had to make one stop. My uncle Richard was in the group of G.I.'s that liberated Dachau. One of the first concentration camps. 14,000 murdered there. I walked the grounds.

My uncle was one that was lucky to survive the war, but came back broken after liberating Dachau. My mom, his sister knows. But prefers not to share it.

I'm as agnostic as they come. But if it helps. Bless you.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 PM

I'd never snitch anyone out to a moderator directly, so I'll just ask here: contradancer can you please refrain from using that confrontational, insulting, and frankly arrogant signature?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Vote.
..and get out in the streets on your days off. Protest. Make it known that this is not acceptable to you. There are times in our lives when we have to take to the streets; these are those times.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

When the state of the world bugs me, I try to listen to music that addresses it. I've been listening to one of my favorite songwriters singing about the new president, rampant homelessness and income inequality. He writes lines like: "All these Trumped up Towers are just golden showers -- Where are people supposed to live?" And rhymes it later with "It's All Take and Never Give!". Another of his songs bemoans excessive military spending "...beating plowshares into swords, for this tired old man that we elected king..." and continues in this vein.

Then I chuckle and relax, remembering that the world hasn't changed at all. Those songs were written in 1989.

Last edited by pullin; 07-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I'd never snitch anyone out to a moderator directly, so I'll just ask here: contradancer can you please refrain from using that confrontational, insulting, and frankly arrogant signature?
I doubt they care; I've had a harsher signature for years and it's never been mentioned:

There are no atheists in foxholes because all the atheists were smart enough to get into tactical command and the airforce.

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Diderot

Last edited by Der Trihs; 07-15-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Doesn't bother me. If it bothers you, you've come to the wrong forums.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Truth hurts, I guess...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.
Steven Weinberg
Arrogant how?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM

Telling huge swaths of humanity that their deeply-held beliefs are an insult to human dignity? Are you kidding me? contradancer may think her signature is some kind of poke in the eye to American evangelicals who support Donald Trump, but what it's actually doing is saying that everyone from Buddhist monks in Tibet to Muslims in the Middle East to Orthodox Christians in Egypt, Palestine, Lebanon, Serbia, Russia, Greece, etc, Native American Shamans, practicioners of Shinto in Japan, Jews all over the world, Bahai all over the world, Sikhs all over the world, all kinds of people all over the world, that the values that guide them through their lives every day, are an insult to human dignity!

This is horseshit! I'm not going to fucking back down on this, it's a callous and arrogant thing to pin to the end of every post in a forum that's NOT meant for debates about religion.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 PM

At least start a new thread about it, don't hijack this one.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You can turn signatures off in your User CP, why not go do that instead of trying to get the entire world to conform to the narrow view you prefer? I find nothing whatsoever objectionable about that sig, it's truth and if you don't like truth then it's up to you to make sure your blinders are on good and tight. Wouldn't want any of that reality seeping into your worldview, the horror.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Une merveilleuse cerise

Moderator note

Quote:
It's not snitching, and junior modding in this fashion is frowned upon. Just let us know your concerns, please.

For now, drop the sig highjack, everyone.