Old 07-12-2018, 02:16 PM

M*A*S*H Question

I usually watch MASH (I'm not sticking the asterisks in every damn time) on the treadmill at the gym while I'm waiting for my fitness class to start.

I recently watched part of the episode where Winchester is introduced and I'm wondering why he was a major. BJ, Hawkeye, and Trapper are captains. Burns was a major but he was regular army. I can't imagine a Haaavard educated elitist Boston snob like Winchester joining the Army, so I assume he was drafted. Why wasn't he a captain too?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
I usually watch MASH (I'm not sticking the asterisks in every damn time) on the treadmill at the gym while I'm waiting for my fitness class to start.

I recently watched part of the episode where Winchester is introduced and I'm wondering why he was a major. BJ, Hawkeye, and Trapper are captains. Burns was a major but he was regular army. I can't imagine a Haaavard educated elitist Boston snob like Winchester joining the Army, so I assume he was drafted. Why wasn't he a captain too?
Until he was sent to Korea, he had a cushy job in Japan - which may have given him opportunities to get a promotion that Pierce and Hunnicutt didn't get. Also he was a more experienced surgeon than Pierce or Hunnicutt (he was on track for a prestigious appointment before he was drafted), which may have had an influence on his rank.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Seems likely that the same connections that got him the cushy posting also got him a fast tracked promotion - an earned one, certainly, but half the doctors at the 4077 earned one just as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

From my knowledge and experience of military practices, I would not be surprised if he had additional medical (or other) training that allowed them to boost his rank, either upon service entry or after. It's also possible he had family connections that used some pretense to push that.

Under wartime conditions, especially unpopular ones, you can advance more quickly than peacetime (greater demand, less supply). If the conditions are just right, you can benefit for no good reason. I had a friend of mine who made E6 (Staff Sargent) in under 3 years during the Vietnam era, something which would have taken twice as long in between wars.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

BJ was a very recent draftees so didn't have time to progress in rank; Hawyeke was probably a recent draftee when the war started and likely doesn't want any promotions. No idea about Trapper.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Whatever in-universe explanation you want to cone up with, he was a Major because he had to be side he was replacing the Major antagonist to Captains Pierce and Hunnicutt.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Charles was on track to become Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Boston General before he was drafted. As an experienced and skilled chest cutter, he would have gotten rank well before anybody else at the 4077th. Hawkeye had too many blots on his record to warrant promotion, BJ was too new. In the movie it was Trapper John who was the chest cutter, but they dropped that for the TV show.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 PM

He won his promotion in a game of cribbage.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Charles was on track to become Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Boston General before he was drafted. As an experienced and skilled chest cutter, he would have gotten rank well before anybody else at the 4077th. Hawkeye had too many blots on his record to warrant promotion, BJ was too new. In the movie it was Trapper John who was the chest cutter, but they dropped that for the TV show.
So who was the chest cutter before Winchester showed up? It certainly wasn't Frank Burns. Or did they just not have one?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:11 PM

Might have been a recalled WW2 Veteran. A fairly common occurrence in early years of the Korean War; and many ended up in godforsaken reactivated WW2 Pacific bases used as staging areas for men and material..... Maj Winters of Band of Brother's fame was assigned to one and he campaigned vigorously to be transferred to either the front or be discharged, he got the latter.

Charles might have wrangled a Tokyo posting, the hospitals there would be short changed with so many doctors being transferred to the front.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:21 PM

I've always wondered why Altman gave Frank Burns a promotion. In the novel, he was a captain.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 PM

^ Probably because O'Houlihan wouldn't mess around with a lowly captain.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
So who was the chest cutter before Winchester showed up? It certainly wasn't Frank Burns. Or did they just not have one?
IIRC, they called for Hawkeye whenever anyone had a chest wound.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
He won his promotion in a game of cribbage.
I don't think so. Or was this a joke?

He won his trip to a MASH unit because he won a few games of cribbage against his superior officer.

Last edited by Mind's Eye, Watering; 07-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Until he was sent to Korea, he had a cushy job in Japan - which may have given him opportunities to get a promotion that Pierce and Hunnicutt didn't get. Also he was a more experienced surgeon than Pierce or Hunnicutt (he was on track for a prestigious appointment before he was drafted), which may have had an influence on his rank.
So he got drafted and was assigned to Tokyo General? Then he pissed off a colonel over a game of cribbage and got sent to Korea? I could see Daddy Dear pulling some strings to make sure Chuck wasn't assigned to the front after he was drafted.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My guess would be a combination of education and experience. When I enlisted in '73, I came in as E-2 because I had a year of college. Otherwise, I'd have been E-1.

There's a similar situation on the civilian side of DoD. I went to work for the Navy as an engineer after I resigned my commission. I was hired as a GS-7. Had I not had the years of experience on active duty, I'd have started as a GS-5. And if I'd had a Masters, I would have been GS-9.

So extrapolating from my personal experience, I'd say it's entirely possible his rank was based on his background.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Mmm. Think of his experience and where he'd been. As a bigshot at Tokyo General, he likely had some people under his command - such as it is - and therefore that position might rate a major in it instead of a captain. Pierce et al, essentially had no one under their direct command and stayed captains.

Sometimes it ain't the person, it's the job.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Mind's Eye, Watering:

Quote:
I don't think so. Or was this a joke?
Yes, it was meant facetiously, I thought that would be obvious, but my tone clearly failed to come through.

Still, we don't know that that didn't happen that way
Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I recently saw the episode in which Col. Blake made Hawkeye chief surgeon. This angered Frank, of course, and Blake pointed out the Hawkeye was "certified for chest as well as general surgery". But what it really came down to was this:

Burns: "Are you saying he's a better doctor?"

Blake: "Yes! When the heat's on."
Old 07-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My guess would be a combination of education and experience. When I enlisted in '73, I came in as E-2 because I had a year of college. Otherwise, I'd have been E-1.
I had two years of college, and I didn't get an instant promotion in the same era. Could yours have been due to ROTC training or a specialty?
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Burns was a major but he was regular army.
I'm not sure about that. I watched the show religiously during the 1970s, though I admit I haven't seen more than a few episodes in many years, but I don't recall Burns being "regular army" -- I was always under the impression that, like most of the other surgeons in the series, he, too, was a civilian doctor who was called into military services. OTOH, he definitely was a stickler for military discipline (at least, when it suited him). And, one could make the argument that there's no way that Margaret (who was as "regular army" as it comes) wouldn't have dated him otherwise.

The M*A*S*H Wiki entry on him doesn't make it crystal-clear one way or the other, but there are a few references that suggest (at least to me) that he was a civilian before the war:

- "In one M*A*S*H episode, Burns claims he was in practice for 12 years."
- "the local funeral director sends him thank-you cards every Christmas"
- "Even with his numerous surgical shortcomings, Burns still considered himself better than the others largely because of his own affluent practice back home"

Last edited by kenobi 65; 07-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:32 PM

We used to say “Needs of the Navy (insert service of choice)” to explain a lot of things.
I had an Associates degree when I took the ASVAB in 1978 and the recruiter talked about going in as an E-3 (another thing we used to say is “My recruiter lied to me!”). This was post-Vietnam and post-draft when the services had to work hard to recruit, certain rates were harder to fill than others.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I had two years of college, and I didn't get an instant promotion in the same era. Could yours have been due to ROTC training or a specialty?
No - they said because I had more than XX credits (can't recall the number now) I was eligible for E-2. I had been a French major at a liberal arts college and I was going in for Avionics training, so my college wasn't at all related to my future Navy training.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
So he got drafted and was assigned to Tokyo General? Then he pissed off a colonel over a game of cribbage and got sent to Korea? I could see Daddy Dear pulling some strings to make sure Chuck wasn't assigned to the front after he was drafted.
Well, it wasn't a game - over multiple games the Colonel had racked up gambling losses of ~$672.17 to Winchester, which as I understand it over a month's pay for the colonel, and Winchester was being obnoxiously gloaty about it.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM

It could also be he was filling an 0-4 (major) billet so they commissioned him as one when he was drafted. Military units have a certain number of billets (positions) by rank and rating (job). I knew a one Electronics Technician when I was in the Coast Guard who had enough experience in the civilian field that he came in as E-5 (ET2) when he enlisted.

Not quite sure of the 4077 command structure but since a Colonel is in charge, they almost certainly would have a Major that is a man with Houlihan the Major for women.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'm not sure about that. I watched the show religiously during the 1970s, though I admit I haven't seen more than a few episodes in many years, but I don't recall Burns being "regular army" -- I was always under the impression that, like most of the other surgeons in the series, he, too, was a civilian doctor who was called into military services. OTOH, he definitely was a stickler for military discipline (at least, when it suited him). And, one could make the argument that there's no way that Margaret (who was as "regular army" as it comes) wouldn't have dated him otherwise.

The M*A*S*H Wiki entry on him doesn't make it crystal-clear one way or the other, but there are a few references that suggest (at least to me) that he was a civilian before the war:

- "In one M*A*S*H episode, Burns claims he was in practice for 12 years."
- "the local funeral director sends him thank-you cards every Christmas"
- "Even with his numerous surgical shortcomings, Burns still considered himself better than the others largely because of his own affluent practice back home"
IIRC, Burns wasn't Regular Army, like Potter, but he was a volunteer, so he probably did have more time in service than Pierce or the others.

I never heard anything about Winchester being a recalled WWII vet, but that makes sense. No way would Winchester volunteer for Korean service, and you'd think his family connections could have gotten him out of it altogether. However, considering the age he would have been during WWII, and the fervor going on then, he actually could have been a WWII volunteer.

One other possibility is that his family couldn't get him out of the draft for some reason, so he volunteered for service, because by doing so, he had more control over where he was sent and what he had to do. He also might get more rank in exchange for being a volunteer. When I was in the military, they were desperate for nurses, and had a "stripes for skills" program going on, where anyone with a four-year nursing degree was an E-4 in basic, but then upon completion of basic, went to an abbreviated leadership school, and immediately became an E-5, without having to "put in" for a promotion. Someone in my Basic unit was taking advantage of that program.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I seem to recall that Burns said he had attended Command School, like Blake, while none of the other surgeons had (or at least, it was never mentioned.) It's possible they went to colleges that had a compulsory undergraduate R.O.T.C. program, and that slotted them into a different track than the others.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
IIRC, Burns wasn't Regular Army, like Potter, but he was a volunteer, so he probably did have more time in service than Pierce or the others.

I never heard anything about Winchester being a recalled WWII vet, but that makes sense. No way would Winchester volunteer for Korean service, and you'd think his family connections could have gotten him out of it altogether. However, considering the age he would have been during WWII, and the fervor going on then, he actually could have been a WWII volunteer.
It could also be his family connections didn't help (or they decided not to try too much). Back in the 1950s you can find some baseball players who were World Series stars such as Billy Martin and Johnny Podres suddenly getting drafted. Not sure if their employers could help (or want to face the wrath of fans for having shirkers).
Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Hmm. The maximum draft age during Korea was 35. Winchester seemed at least that old, given med school and the time it took to get to his position. Being drafted in WW II and called up again seems just as likely.

I never had the impression that Burns was regular Army, but Blake was in the novel, but definitely not on the TV show. I don't remember if how he made colonel was ever discussed.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 AM

Charles: Sir, my father knows Harry Truman. He doesn't like him, but he knows him.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Hmm. The maximum draft age during Korea was 35. Winchester seemed at least that old, given med school and the time it took to get to his position. Being drafted in WW II and called up again seems just as likely.
The series often made mistakes when they tried to link it to contemporary dates or events. Winchester supposedly graduated from Harvard Medical in 1948. He have to be pretty prodigious to complete an internship and residency and be on track for chief of thoracic surgery at a major hospital and either enlist or be drafted in order to be in the army for the final months of the Korean War circa mid-1953.

For what it's worth, actor David Odgen Stiers was just under 35 when he first appeared as Winchester.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 AM

We know Margaret was regular Army and her father was in the Army. I know at the end of the show she was going back to the States to work in a VA (?) hospital. Wouldn't she have been eligible for promotion? She had all the nurses reporting to her, and probably Klinger as a dotted line medic.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 AM

For those with experience in the military, particularly in the medical area, what rank are doctors generally given? Captains, majors? Something else? How about nurses?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
For those with experience in the military, particularly in the medical area, what rank are doctors generally given? Captains, majors? Something else? How about nurses?
People with professional degrees like lawyers and doctors start as captains. Nurses start as lieutenants.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
People with professional degrees like lawyers and doctors start as captains. Nurses start as lieutenants.
Thanks for the info. One more question: Could a lieutenant nurse walk into a barracks and order a sergeant to drop to the floor and do pushups? Or can orders only be given within the scope of the officer's realm of duty?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Yes, they are commissioned officers who have the authority to give lawful orders.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Acsenray:

Quote:
Nurses start as lieutenants.
As long as they're women

Last edited by Chronos; 07-14-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Winchester supposedly graduated from Harvard Medical in 1948.
ISTR him saying "Harvard, '43."
Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I would think that’s his undergraduate class.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
In the film, they brought in Trapper specifically because they needed a 'chest cutter'.

Neither Trapper nor Hawkeye were ever going to be promoted. They made it a point to be insubordinate.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well, wiki gives that as his undergrad year, as Skywatcher noted. If it was the year he completed med school, the timeline (as well as the age of the actor) fits a lot better but I don't think it's common, then or now, for people with postgrad degrees to cite the year of completion of those degrees the way they say "Class of XX", which as I recall was the context of the conversation that revealed this info, i.e. Winchester was chatting with an officer who had gone to Yale and who said he was class of '48, or something.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 07-13-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
BJ was a very recent draftees so didn't have time to progress in rank; Hawyeke was probably a recent draftee when the war started and likely doesn't want any promotions. No idea about Trapper.
No.

It is very clear that Hawkeye is a captain because of his constant antics and being placed on report and insubordination. He doesn't have ANY ribbons or decorations on his Class A-s. His draft status has nothing to do with it, though it is clear that he and Hot Lips have been there the longest.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
The series often made mistakes when they tried to link it to contemporary dates or events....
Don't ever, ever expect good timeline continuity or an accurate connection to real-world events in a show that ran longer than the war it's about.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, wiki gives that as his undergrad year, as Skywatcher noted. If it was the year he completed med school, the timeline (as well as the age of the actor) fits a lot better but I don't think it's common, then or now, for people with postgrad degrees to cite the year of completion of those degrees the way they say "Class of XX", which as I recall was the context of the conversation that revealed this info, i.e. Winchester was chatting with an officer who had gone to Yale and who said he was class of '48, or something.
Not even The Ultimate Guide Book indicates when he graduated Med School, though he did witness an appendectomy performed without anesthesia in Mass General in '47. Whether he was a visiting student or on staff is left open.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Crap. Just noticed that the preview is missing some of Charles' pages and too late to edit. Maybe it's mentioned in those pages.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Acsenray:

As long as they're women
(Link code removed, as it was screwing up the coding in my post.)

Your link's broken - looks, on quoting, like you missed the closing quote in the code. Let's see if this fixes it... (Yep, working, now.)

(I actually went to find a link about that episode before quoting and seeing you already had one...and ended up getting the very same site. Heh.)

I've always wondered if male nurses in the army did get short shrift like that.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textual Assault View Post
No.

It is very clear that Hawkeye is a captain because of his constant antics and being placed on report and insubordination. He doesn't have ANY ribbons or decorations on his Class A-s. His draft status has nothing to do with it, though it is clear that he and Hot Lips have been there the longest.
I don't think it's "clear" Hawkeye had been there the longest. Rather, Trapper and Blake were the ones who "got their points" and were sent home (I assume Margaret chose to stay there.)

Unless the Army's way of handling insubordination was to say, "you're too valuable to court-martial, so we're going to keep you in the same place you've been making trouble for us."
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Was a MASH unit a little bit more lax about Army rules? In the show both Blake and Potter went to bat for Hawkeye, saying he's too valuable a doctor.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Was a MASH unit a little bit more lax about Army rules? In the show both Blake and Potter went to bat for Hawkeye, saying he's too valuable a doctor.
In one of the very early episodes General bald-guy from the movie showed up to court-martial them, and decided the same thing.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

I never had the impression that Burns was regular Army, but Blake was in the novel, but definitely not on the TV show. I don't remember if how he made colonel was ever discussed.
It should be noted that Henry Blake was a light colonel, unlike full-bird Sherman Potter.