Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Sacha Baron Cohen, Showtime

Not sure where to put this.

Roy Moore threatens legal action after 'illicit scheme' from Sacha Baron Cohen, Showtime

Quote:
Roy Moore is threatening legal action against Sacha Baron Cohen, adding his name to the list of political figures who say they were duped into appearing on the British comedian's new show.

The former Alabama GOP Senate hopeful said Cohen tricked him into participating in his Showtime program "Who is America?" by inviting him to receive an award for his "strong support of Israel."

"I did not know Sacha Cohen or that a Showtime TV series was being planned to embarrass, humiliate, and
I am confused. Can Sacha Baron Cohen do this? Doesn't he and Showtime need waivers to show these interviews from Roy and the others?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM

I was wondering about that as well.

But I assume they have any necessary waivers from all these people, since all of them knew that they were being interviewed and filmed. (It's possible that they didn't need waivers altogether, for this reason.) But the question is about the fact that the waivers, if any, were granted under false pretenses. Question is how that shakes out. I have no idea.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 PM

We already saw how well Mr. Moore rides his high horse Sassy, didn't we?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Sarah Palin was also complaining about this. In her case, she had to fly "across the country" (from Alaska to I don't know where) for the interview. In that situation, I think she had the right to be really, really pissed off. (As for Sacha Baron Cohen, I've intentionally never watched anything of his--he strikes me not as a funny prankster but as a smug, deeply unlikable douchebag.)

(Other targets.)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm not really sure why public figures would need to sign waivers to be filmed.

Also not sure why this is in the Pit.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Here's a good story of basically how these happen:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...rhodes-1126709

Quote:
I'm a former television news producer based out of Los Angeles and San Francisco. I'm currently working with Bright Harbor Media to produce a series tentatively called 'BRIDGING THE DIVIDE' for CBS Corp. The show is centered around trying to find common ground in the midst of our deeply divided partisan times. It's slated to air in the fall on either CBS or Showtime.
Quote:
"Dr. Cain" arrived shortly after the 3 p.m. broadcast began, and his accompanying crew apologized profusely for running late. We now know that this was part of their ingenious plan to keep my team slightly off balance, and it worked like a charm. Broadcast release forms were hastily put in front of myself and my producer as we were navigating complicated light and sound equipment being set up all around us. This was all going on during a three-minute commercial and news break we actively and simultaneously produced and engineered ourselves.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:16 PM

i hate, hate, hate to say this....But I hope Moore prevails.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
i hate, hate, hate to say this....But I hope Moore prevails.
On a defamation claim? No chance.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Poe's Law at work. The parody of the target is indistinguishable from a sincere expression of the target's views.

Cohen's victims may have a right to be embarrassed, but they walked right into it on their own volition. Their fondest wishes were coming true. They wanted national exposure to fly their freak flags and they got it. Maybe they'll learn something.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:34 PM

I think this is opening a very messy can of worms.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM

A lawsuit? This is just the kind of publicity that I'm sure Mr. Cohen was hoping to avoid!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 PM

He's getting the best free PR from the worst people... Gaetz, Moore, Cheney, Palin, Arpaio (all were duped as part of this). Gaetz is only one responding w/ a sense of humor, and says he was already a Cohen fan and is looking forward to seeing the piece.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Also on the question of whether Cohen can do this... He has done it before, many many times. Familiar with Da Ali G Show? Borat?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Ali G's interview with Andy Rooney is legendary!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Is there not a difference between broadcasting an interview on a news program and using someone's likeness for an entertainment show?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Here's a good story of basically how these happen:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...rhodes-1126709
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
He's getting the best free PR from the worst people... Gaetz, Moore, Cheney, Palin, Arpaio (all were duped as part of this). Gaetz is only one responding w/ a sense of humor, and says he was already a Cohen fan and is looking forward to seeing the piece.
Austin Rhodes is the guy giving his account of his interview for the show, in enalzi's link--and he has a great sense of humor about it, which is I think the only winning strategy. Note that Cohen's team showed up late and gave Rhodes some waivers to sign while they were setting up lights and mics and stuff. I don't doubt that Moore signed some waivers under similar conditions, and has no leg to stand on in his lawsuit.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Is there not a difference between broadcasting an interview on a news program and using someone's likeness for an entertainment show?
Sacha Baron Cohen isn't "using someone's likeness" - he's using the actual "someone".

If that "someone" didn't bother to read the waivers he signed - waivers that I have no doubt were very carefully worded by Cohen's lawyers, who have been preparing these waivers for years, now - and then participated in the interviews, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Not sure where to put this.

Roy Moore threatens legal action after 'illicit scheme' from Sacha Baron Cohen, Showtime

I am confused. Can Sacha Baron Cohen do this? Doesn't he and Showtime need waivers to show these interviews from Roy and the others?
I doubt they need any permission from the likes of Roy fucking Moore.

Last edited by SteveG1; 07-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Sarah Palin was also complaining about this. In her case, she had to fly "across the country" (from Alaska to I don't know where) for the interview. In that situation, I think she had the right to be really, really pissed off. (As for Sacha Baron Cohen, I've intentionally never watched anything of his--he strikes me not as a funny prankster but as a smug, deeply unlikable douchebag.)

(Other targets.)
Well Palin is a blithering idiot, so trolling her was some serious Low Hanging Fruit. But to hell with her too. Stupidity SHOULD be painful.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Jimmy Kimmel: People Will Agree to Anything.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Well Palin is a blithering idiot, so trolling her was some serious Low Hanging Fruit. But to hell with her too. Stupidity SHOULD be painful.
How he got in a room with Dick Cheney is mystifying to me. Doesn't Cheney still have a Secret Service guy?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
How he got in a room with Dick Cheney is mystifying to me. Doesn't Cheney still have a Secret Service guy?
I don't know, but Cheney is pretty smart even though still a dirtbag. I imagine he "got it" and was playing along.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
... Familiar with Da Ali G Show? Borat?
I recall Ali G interviewing C Everett Coop and discussing bone development. He wanted to know why some bones grow so much faster than others, and ended up arguing with the surgeon general about whether or not a certain part of the male anatomy was, in fact, a bone.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Why do you think the Secret Service has anything to say about editorial content? I'm quite certain the Cohen would not pose any physical threat to Cheney.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 PM

I might normally have sympathy for people in Moore and Palin’s situation because I’m not a fan of ambush comedy. It’s unfair and that makes it unenjoyable.

Except when it’s Sacha Baron Cohen.

I’m compleletly biased in his favor. He actually has a point in what he does, which is usually to give someone rope and see how badly they’ll hang themselves. He does this by giving bigots, idiots and assholes the illusion of an agreeable or welcoming situation situation and let’s them talk.

Cohen has also roped in non-assholes like Buzz Aldrin. Being a good person, he patiently explained to Cohen’s Ali G character why landing astronauts on the sun wouldn’t happen any time soon. Aldrin and some other cool people came out looking great on Cohen’s show.

Whereas Moore, Palin and Cheney can choke on having their true selves and horrible opinions put nakedly out in the open. Fuck them in the neck.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Cohen has also roped in non-assholes like Buzz Aldrin. Being a good person, he patiently explained to Cohen’s Ali G character why landing astronauts on the sun wouldn’t happen any time soon. Aldrin and some other cool people came out looking great on Cohen’s show.

Whereas Moore, Palin and Cheney can choke on having their true selves and horrible opinions put nakedly out in the open. Fuck them in the neck.
One of the best examples of this was the time that Ali G did a segment training with the Philadelphia PD, IMO. The cops came away looking great because they played it straight, remained nonplussed and treated Ali G with respect even when it was clear (as far as they could tell) that he was a total clown.

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzM4JcFIIJQ

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-13-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If that "someone" didn't bother to read the waivers he signed - waivers that I have no doubt were very carefully worded by Cohen's lawyers, who have been preparing these waivers for years, now - and then participated in the interviews, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Not necessarily. If they can show a pattern on Cohen's part of intentionally rushing each one of his targets so they won't have time to read them, they might be able to make the case that his conduct made the waivers void, because his entire goal was to have them signed in circumstances where the targets wouldn't know what was in them.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

I’m neither a judge nor a potential juror in this action, but I find myself unlikely to be sympathetic to that argument. A public figure used to being on the news has no one but himself to blame if he lets his interviewer’s unprofessional behavior inspire sloppy due diligence on his own part.

ETA: Courts tend to be deferential towards signed contracts, irrespective of any claims of manipulation asserted by remorseful signers, do they not?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 07-13-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Yeah, fuck that motherfucker and the motherfucking horse he rode in on.

It hasn’t gotten old yet

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 07-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Not necessarily. If they can show a pattern on Cohen's part of intentionally rushing each one of his targets so they won't have time to read them, they might be able to make the case that his conduct made the waivers void, because his entire goal was to have them signed in circumstances where the targets wouldn't know what was in them.
No, there's no legal precedent that says a contract is invalid if one party is pushing the other party to sign it quick.

They might try to argue that they were under duress - but that's more for things like where one party is an employee of the other or one of them was blackmailing the other. Cohen and his team didn't threaten or try to force anyone; they just had a well choreographed Marx Brothers routine to keep the target distracted.

Moore might have more luck arguing that that the waivers were signed under fraudulent and misrepresented circumstances. But without seeing the waivers, it's hard to say. Cohen's been doing these types of acts a long time and he's been very successful at it. I would be surprised if his bases aren't well-covered.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Why do you think the Secret Service has anything to say about editorial content? I'm quite certain the Cohen would not pose any physical threat to Cheney.
The Secret Service should know who is having a sit-down with the Vice President. They should have discovered that Cohen is not this "Dr. Cain" fellow, or whoever he was pretending to be and they should have asked Dick Cheney what was up.

I know Cheney's an unrepentant monster, but even so, I can't imagine he would sign that waterboarding kit if he knew the guy who brought it was trying to mock him. But we'll see when it airs, I guess.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Secret Service should know who is having a sit-down with the Vice President. They should have discovered that Cohen is not this "Dr. Cain" fellow, or whoever he was pretending to be and they should have asked Dick Cheney what was up.

I know Cheney's an unrepentant monster, but even so, I can't imagine he would sign that waterboarding kit if he knew the guy who brought it was trying to mock him. But we'll see when it airs, I guess.
Does Cheney even have Secret Service protection anymore?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM

Cohen isn't funny to me. I kinda dig deprecating humor, but he's so bland. Jimmy Carr is intensely funny, though.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Does Cheney even have Secret Service protection anymore?
From wikipedia on who gets Secret Service Protection:

Quote:
Former Vice Presidents, their spouses, and their children under 16 years of age, for up to 6 months from the date the former Vice President leaves office (the Secretary of Homeland Security can extend the protection time)
Looks like Obama authorized an extension, but not sure if it's still in effect.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-14-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Yeah, fuck that motherfucker and the motherfucking horse he rode in on.

It hasnít gotten old yet
The mothers weren't the ones he was after.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:07 AM

[McMahon]

Ah! Ha! Ha! Ha! YES!

[/McMahon]
Old 07-14-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post

Looks like Obama authorized an extension, but not sure if it's still in effect.
Well, nertz. Yeah, I knew it had been extended, but I've looked and can't find anything beyond that. I know that Cheney (and other VPs who gets SS protection) can ask to renew his extension, but I don't have any idea if he has or if the original extension was left open ended.

I couldn't find anything about an end date - but on the other hand, I couldn't find anything about renewals. So I'm calling it a Win for me .

If it turns out that Cheney is currently Secret Servantless, please accept these contingency apologies:

Old 07-14-2018, 03:35 AM

I find myself wondering if he has interviewed Barbara Streisand under false pretences and how much of a fuss she's kicking up.

I'm perfectly happy if stupid people have their stupidity exposed. At no point were they forced or obliged to do any of it.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
I might normally have sympathy for people in Moore and Palinís situation because Iím not a fan of ambush comedy. Itís unfair and that makes it unenjoyable.

Except when itís Sacha Baron Cohen.

Iím compleletly biased in his favor. He actually has a point in what he does, which is usually to give someone rope and see how badly theyíll hang themselves. He does this by giving bigots, idiots and assholes the illusion of an agreeable or welcoming situation situation and letís them talk.

Cohen has also roped in non-assholes like Buzz Aldrin. Being a good person, he patiently explained to Cohenís Ali G character why landing astronauts on the sun wouldnít happen any time soon. Aldrin and some other cool people came out looking great on Cohenís show.

I'm not sure which is worse for someone who's seeking a position in the government; seeing yourself mocked by Sacha Baron Cohen. or suing to block the show from airing and admitting that you got outsmarted by Sacha Baron Cohen.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 AM

Dammit, no Showtime here and I would DIE to see Arpaio, the senile old fuck.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Rep. Matt Gaetz says he was taken in also. But Gaetz is such an Ali G fanboy, he says he can't wait to see it.
Quote:
Gaetz is such a big fan of the Borat and Bruno creator that he said he has shown clips of Da Ali G ShowóBaron Cohenís breakthrough early-aughts TV seriesóto some of his colleagues who may not have seen it. The congressman also gleefully mimicked the infamous Borat accent while talking with The Daily Beast.

As for whether being targeted by Baron Cohen has changed his mind at all about the comedian, Gaetz said heís unperturbed.

ďI canít wait to see it.Ē
Old 07-14-2018, 09:20 AM

I suspect the pre-airing dust-up and public angst by the duped will turn out to be funnier than the actual interviews.

I'm not about to pay for a Showtime subscription in order to find out.

Borat (and occasionally Ali G) was funny, but the Cohen act seemed to be getting stale a long time ago.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I might normally have sympathy for people in Moore and Palinís situation because Iím not a fan of ambush comedy. Itís unfair and that makes it unenjoyable.

Except when itís Sacha Baron Cohen.

Iím compleletly biased in his favor. He actually has a point in what he does, which is usually to give someone rope and see how badly theyíll hang themselves. He does this by giving bigots, idiots and assholes the illusion of an agreeable or welcoming situation situation and letís them talk.

Cohen has also roped in non-assholes like Buzz Aldrin. Being a good person, he patiently explained to Cohenís Ali G character why landing astronauts on the sun wouldnít happen any time soon. Aldrin and some other cool people came out looking great on Cohenís show.

Cohen's interview with Noam Chomsky (doing his Ali G character, I believe) was the same. Chomsky is a great example of a brilliant academic who is patient and non-judgmental even with idiots. I no longer remember the substance of the interview but it was mildly amusing only because of Ali G's antics. Whatever reaction he was trying to provoke from Chomsky didn't happen. Unlike these other assholes, Chomsky came across as having the politeness and patience of a saint.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Ali G with his main man Norman Chomsky

"Norm" talks about the interview (this was recorded just a few weeks ago, eh)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

There was the time that Ali G interviewed Donald Trump. It was over ten years ago and very short. Trump realized almost immediately that the whole thing was a goof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5ElraFHHE
Old 07-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/st...288354816?s=19

This is why... well, one of the reasons why... they are freaking out. Cohen got Joe Walsh, Dana Rohrabacher, and Trent Lott to argue on behalf of a first responders course on high-powered weapons for toddlers.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Talk about "bad optics"!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Trent Lott actually calls it the "Kinderguardian program".

Seriously, my completely racist and ageist voting strategy of #NoOldWhiteGuys is looking more and more rational.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The thing is that the agreement themselves were probably pretty much bolierplate releases, used in all interviews. I doubt that they said anything about "You agree to be made fun of in a spoof interview". So even if they had read them and had a lawyer look over them I doubt that there would have been any red flags raised.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/st...288354816?s=19

This is why... well, one of the reasons why... they are freaking out. Cohen got Joe Walsh, Dana Rohrabacher, and Trent Lott to argue on behalf of a first responders course on high-powered weapons for toddlers.
Also Larry Pratt, Executive Director Emeritus of Gun Owners of America reading a script: ďChildren under 5 have elevated levels of the pheromone Blink-182, produced by the part of the liver known as Rita Ora. This allows nerve reflexes to travel along the Cardi B pathway to the Wiz Khalifa 40% faster.Ē
https://pitchfork.com/news/sacha-bar...s-to-arm-kids/

Esquire's article, Sacha Baron Cohen Didn't Return to Humiliate Republicans. He's Here to End Careers, opens with a reference to the point in the episode where Pratt laughs about the idea of a man raping his wife. That's how they characterize it. Twitter is less generous in interpretation.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...merica-review/

"That won't be on the video, right?"
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...88981184102400

I disagree with Esquire's headline. The base of support of these folks are pretty far in the tank. One of the puzzling features of representative democracy is that conservatives will enthusiastically support showman and pressure ops with extremist views, while at the same time professing more moderate beliefs in quieter moments. There's a little of that with Bernie supporters, and there are reasonable points to be made about the Overton window. But there's also a bright line distinction between those who happily support the cray-cray, and those who support wholly defensible ideas that differ a little from their own, all the while subjecting their political predictions to the test of experience.

Anyway, I think those whose careers rely wholly on a modern conservative base are safe and secure.