Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Dubious celebrity endorsements

Did Henry Winkler's stock drop at all in your eyes when you learned he was hawking reverse mortgages? Granted, this was the guy who is probably best known for playing the character Fonzie in Happy Days and not some master thespian...but still it left me with a bad impression. I imagine the company selected him as a spokesperson based on nothing more than his status as a C list celebrity and target demographics.

Are there any celebrities that you feel fared poorly or have in some fashion been diminished by choosing to do a commercial endorsement?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 PM

I've seen Tom Selleck hawking reverse mortgages, too. He's not exactly an A list celeb anymore, but he does star in a hit prime time series, Blue Bloods, so I don't think those commercials have diminished him too much.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Only if they are still an "active" celebrity. Otherwise I understand that the bills have to get paid somehow, and endorsements are a way to make money that doesn't directly involved robbing people (usually.) However I do sometimes look askance at people who use their fame to hawk anything at all, just for the money grab, while they are still working performers. Jimmy Buffett gets hit with this, mainly on the quality of anything with the "Margaritaville" brand on it except the restaurants. The booze and beer are utter crap.

eta: As for Tom Selleck, it helps to know that he is an absolute dick IRL, so nothing disgusting he did would surprise me.

Last edited by silenus; 07-13-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Rick Harrison for LifeLock. Yeah, having your identity stolen sucks but promoting a company that can't even protect their own CEO from identity theft, over a dozen times that they made public, is dumb.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

He counts as a celebrity, doesn't he?

Rudy Giuliani endorsing LifeLock identity theft protection service.

And it's certainly dubious all the way down...
Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 PM

I recall Sally Struthers being mocked for doing some sort of humanitarian aid infomercial.

When Bill Cosby was selling Jello pudding pops back in the day I don't recall thinking anything was wrong with it, but I saw one of those old commercials not long ago and thanks to recent events found my perceptions have changed considerably.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Did Henry Winkler's stock drop at all in your eyes when you learned he was hawking reverse mortgages? Granted, this was the guy who is probably best known for playing the character Fonzie in Happy Days and not some master thespian...but still it left me with a bad impression. I imagine the company selected him as a spokesperson based on nothing more than his status as a C list celebrity and target demographics.

Are there any celebrities that you feel fared poorly or have in some fashion been diminished by choosing to do a commercial endorsement?
Of course they selected him because of target demographics; that's at the heart of all advertising. I do know what you mean though. I kind of cringed when Jamie Lee Curtis was promoting the yogurt that makes you poop.

What always stands out to me is when a celebrity who has a very distinct voice does a voice over and uses "we" and "our" as if they're part of the company. No, Susan Sarandon, you did not take care of my cold symptoms.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
When Bill Cosby was selling Jello pudding pops back in the day I don't recall thinking anything was wrong with it, but I saw one of those old commercials not long ago and thanks to recent events found my perceptions have changed considerably.
Cosby did a lot of commercials for a lot of products. In fact, until scandal hit, his job as a pitchman ran neck-and-neck with "The Cosby Show" as the thing he was best known for.

As for recent dubious celebrity endorsements, there's baseball HOFer Frank Thomas' hyping of a questionable energy supplement. There's a thread about this somewhere on the SDMB.

Also, this thread is about sketchy products whose endorsement by a celebrity end up diminishing the celebrity's worth. What about the other way around? Are there any products you thought less of because of the celebrity who endorsed them? ("Really? They got that guy to plug this?")

Last FM Library Thing
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM

The Alex Trebek insurance commercials bug me a bit. Partially because he's famous for hosting a non-fiction (for lack of a better description) show, but also because the ads are just so dumb.

"$9.95 a month for anybody!"
"How much for me?"
"$9.95 a month for you, too."
"Ooh, do me next. How much?"
"I'm gonna be here all night. What part of 'anybody' did you not understand?"

On the other hand, hosting Jeopardy! only takes one day every two weeks, so I can't really begrudge Trebek wanting to do something else just to keep busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Only if they are still an "active" celebrity. Otherwise I understand that the bills have to get paid somehow, and endorsements are a way to make money that doesn't directly involved robbing people (usually.) However I do sometimes look askance at people who use their fame to hawk anything at all, just for the money grab, while they are still working performers. Jimmy Buffett gets hit with this, mainly on the quality of anything with the "Margaritaville" brand on it except the restaurants. The booze and beer are utter crap.
I read somewhere that Margaritaville was the single most lucrative song ever written. I can believe it.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:17 PM

I understand Ted Nugent did a commercial for Vernor's Ginger Ale back in the 1980's (I've never actually seen it). In fairness, though, this was years before the general public learned about Terrible Ted's psychotic tendencies, so the good folks at Vernor's should get a pass for that one.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM

Just yesterday my son brought up Eric Clapton's beer ad that ran concurrently with his stint in rehab. What a weird coinkidinky!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM

Nothing beats Philip Michael "Tubbs" Thomas plugging the Psychic Hotline at 2 a.m.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Also, this thread is about sketchy products whose endorsement by a celebrity end up diminishing the celebrity's worth. What about the other way around? Are there any products you thought less of because of the celebrity who endorsed them? ("Really? They got that guy to plug this?")
Roseanne Barr for Snickers, seven years ago. Funny, though.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Wilford Brimley for Liberty Mutual, because, you know, "Diabeetus".
Old 07-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I was kinda surprised when I first saw Mila Kunis doing ads for Jim Beam. I can't even explain why, it just seemed...odd.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I was kinda surprised when I first saw Mila Kunis doing ads for Jim Beam. I can't even explain why, it just seemed...odd.
Maybe it's because she looks like she's too young to drink the product.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recall Sally Struthers being mocked for doing some sort of humanitarian aid infomercial.
Because of my age, I only knew Sally Struthers from those commercials. It wasn't until years later that I started watching All In The Family.

Regarding Henry Winkler, he is probably best known for Happy Days, but many people under, say, 25-30 are only going to know him from Arrested Development and Parks and Rec. I can't recall seeing the commercials, but those shows ran much more recently. He's not A-list, but he's not exactly washed up either.

Last edited by Joey P; 07-13-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I lost a lot of respect for Sam Waterston when he shilled for robot insurance.

SPOILER:
The ad I had to sit through to get to the clip was for Progressive Insurance.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM

The estate of Martin Luther King telling us to have a dream about driving a pick up truck (several years before that it was insurance)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Wasn't a major source of that mocking in the form of South Park and the Starvin' Marvin episode from way back when?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:12 PM

Not that I held him in high regard but I still remember how sad I was at how low Mickey Rooney had fallen at the end of his life, washing make believe dishes while his wife shilled old people insurance.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Not that I held him in high regard but I still remember how sad I was at how low Mickey Rooney had fallen at the end of his life, washing make believe dishes while his wife shilled old people insurance.
It was worst than that. Per this article https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...l-years-833325
His wife probably made him do the commercial, while hitting him in private.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM

For me, if the celeb is known to be doing well finacially, not a guy that blew it all.

I think it's shitty to hawk known bullshit insurance/health products/ get rich schemes for even more money.

If they got $20 mill in the bank and/or a hot show...and they're helping to sell snakeoil and spread stupidity for a few million more, I think they're pretty shitty
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Cosby did a lot of commercials for a lot of products. In fact, until scandal hit, his job as a pitchman ran neck-and-neck with "The Cosby Show" as the thing he was best known for.

As for recent dubious celebrity endorsements, there's baseball HOFer Frank Thomas' hyping of a questionable energy supplement. There's a thread about this somewhere on the SDMB.

Lee Major's Bionic Hearing Aid comes to mind.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post

Regarding Henry Winkler, he is probably best known for Happy Days, but many people under, say, 25-30 are only going to know him from Arrested Development and Parks and Rec.
Yeah, but not many of the under-30 crowd are likely to be that interested in reverse mortgages . The target demographics for that ad skews just a wee bit higher.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 07-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Wilford Brimley for Liberty Mutual, because, you know, "Diabeetus".
Liberty Medical, not Liberty Mutual. They sell medical testing supplies.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 PM

I remember when the Rolling Stones were sliced and diced in the early 1980s for having a tour sponsor, which IIRC was a perfume company. Other artists jumped on similar bandwagons, with mixed results.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM

Ben Stein appeared in a ridiculous commercial for a scammy outfit called FreeScore.com (which promised free access to credit reportsówhich you can get free on your ownóbut slammed people with $30 monthly fees if they forgot to opt out after a 7-day free trial). Stein should have known better.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 AM

How about a shirtless Pat Boone sitting in a walk-in tub? Singing a peppy little diddy. Burns out my eyeballs, everytime I see it.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 07-14-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Some hot dog company (Ball Park I think?) got Richard Karn to do some TV and print ads for their new hot dogs in about 2000ish. All I could think of was "The best sitcom character you could get was the straight-laced sidekick of the main character who's only in a quarter of the episode?"
Old 07-14-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Some hot dog company (Ball Park I think?) got Richard Karn to do some TV and print ads for their new hot dogs in about 2000ish. All I could think of was "The best sitcom character you could get was the straight-laced sidekick of the main character who's only in a quarter of the episode?"
He also does commercials for some kind of self-draining pocket garden hose.

Last edited by cochrane; 07-14-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

And also some discount flooring company (50Floor?).
Old 07-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Ben Stein appeared in a ridiculous commercial for a scammy outfit called FreeScore.com (which promised free access to credit reportsówhich you can get free on your ownóbut slammed people with $30 monthly fees if they forgot to opt out after a 7-day free trial). Stein should have known better.

"Ben Stein" and "know better" do not belong in the same sentence.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did Henry Winkler's stock drop at all in your eyes when you learned he was hawking reverse mortgages? Granted, this was the guy who is probably best known for playing the character Fonzie in Happy Days and not some master thespian
When you say he's "not some master thespian," do you mean to imply that he's a one-hit wonder or a hack? Winkler is a well-respected journeyman comic actor who has done a lot of roles over the years, including live stage appearances.

Quote:
Some sort of ... ... Heh. When I was a kid in the 1980s, Sally Struthers was the premiere celebrity charity spokesperson and any mention of her was to invoke her weepy pleas for contributions to the Christian Children's Fund. There were a lot of parodies of her on late night and sketch shows.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
"Ben Stein" and "know better" do not belong in the same sentence.
Stein was smart enough on one thing: he avoided investing with Bernie Madoff, saying he and his advisers couldn't figure out how Madoff was getting his returns.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/b...s/28every.html
Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Bob Dylan and Victoria's Secret lingerie. Sounds like an article from the Onion but it happened. But Zimmerman has almost 60 years of pulling our legs
Old 07-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Men of a certain age and socioeconomic status sip Jim Beam. Mila looks like she should be drinking jello shots, Cosmopolitans, or chardonnay.

Celebrities always have done commercials. I heard they make commercials overseas in Japan and so on for tractor-trailer loads of money. Really ridiculous commercials we never see here in 'Murica. All for money, they need all the money, always.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
When you say he's "not some master thespian," do you mean to imply that he's a one-hit wonder or a hack? Winkler is a well-respected journeyman comic actor who has done a lot of roles over the years, including live stage appearances.
He is also a well-respected and desired producer.

My opinion of Mickey Rooney actually went up when I saw his ads for Rainier beer back in the day.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Jane Russell and the cross-your-heart playtex bra. Who the hell is Jane Russell anyway?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Snoop Dogg is selling boner pills.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM

Lou Reed for a Honda motorcycle commercial in 1985 which not only had the music from "Walk on the Wild Side" but Reed appeared in. He was defensive about it but wanted to "expand his audience" (make more money).

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-lo...-first-sellout
Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Jane Russell and the cross-your-heart playtex bra. Who the hell is Jane Russell anyway?
Surely you're joking!

https://imgc.allpostersimages.com/im...47-8880742.jpg
Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Joe Namath in pantyhose. 'Nuff said.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I am. Its funny cause my Daddy would do a cat call everytime the commercial came on. We would ask him if he knew her or something. He would give us cryptic answers. So we grew up thinking he had known her. He obviously was a fan.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 07-14-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:09 PM

Erik Estrada trying to sell real estate. I almost feel bad for him.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:44 PM

Ed McMahon hawking Publishers Clearing House HIII - YOOOO, and some life insurance.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Ed McMahon hawking Publishers Clearing House HIII - YOOOO, and some life insurance.
nitpick Ed McMahon never worked for Publisher's Clearinghouse. He worked for a competitor American Family Publishers which tried to compete with the established PCH but went out of business in the 1990s. PCH never bothered to correct it, figuring it was good to have a well established public figure associated with a well established firm, even, helped by not very bright people like Rahm Emanuel perpetuating the myth

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa.../#4d61a6a31b70

Last edited by Jim's Son; 07-14-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
nitpick Ed McMahon never worked for Publisher's Clearinghouse. He worked for a competitor American Family Publishers which tried to compete with the established PCH but went out of business in the 1990s. PCH never bothered to correct it, figuring it was good to have a well established public figure associated with a well established firm, even, helped by not very bright people like Rahm Emanuel perpetuating the myth

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larissa.../#4d61a6a31b70
I didn't know that. Here I was all this time hoping Ed McMahon was roasting in hell for shilling for a sweepstakes scam. The gateway that my mother (who had dementia) passed through, costing her thousands of dollars, scammers by the carload, and enough worry, work, and grief to get rid of all of them to shorten my life by 20 years. Well well.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Men of a certain age and socioeconomic status sip Jim Beam. Mila looks like she should be drinking jello shots, Cosmopolitans, or chardonnay.
What's more important is that men who sip Jim Bean want to believe they have a shot with women like Mila Kunis.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I didn't know that. Here I was all this time hoping Ed McMahon was roasting in hell for shilling for a sweepstakes scam. The gateway that my mother (who had dementia) passed through, costing her thousands of dollars, scammers by the carload, and enough worry, work, and grief to get rid of all of them to shorten my life by 20 years. Well well.
The company McMahon shilled for was every bit as "guilty" as Publishers Clearing House. However, most of the complaints I have heard about this sort of thing deal with the Reader's Digest sweepstakes. I remember one story about a woman who had a roomful of unopened boxes of books from RD, and when asked why she kept buying them, she replied something like, "One of them might have the million dollar prize in it."

Also note that a common scam is for someone to claim they're from one of these companies, call a person on the phone, and tell them they have won a large prize, but either (a) it's something like a car and the person has to send them a check for the taxes first, or (b) they'll send a check, but ask that they send back a fraction of the money as some sort of fee; when the check bounces, the victim ends up having to pay back the whole amount, including the amount sent to the scammer (it's a variation of the "I'll buy the item you are advertising for sale, but I'll send you a money order for slightly more than the amount, and you send back the difference" scam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I read somewhere that Margaritaville was the single most lucrative song ever written. I can believe it.
That new "Escape to Margaritaville" musical probably didn't hurt his bottom line, either. And nothing says "Margaritaville money" more than a purple $500 chip from the Margaritaville Casino - well, the Margartiaville section of the Flamingo Hotel - in Vegas. (Apparently, there's a "standalone" casino in Tulsa as well.)