Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Is my understanding of what Papa John's CEO said accurate?

I have read several news accounts (and they can be found everywhere) but my understanding of the use of the racial slur was as follows:

The CEO was in a meeting addressing the heat that Papa Johns had been taking for speaking out in favor of NFL players standing for the national anthem and not remaining in the locker room or taking a knee. Some had said that stance was racist against blacks. In the meeting he denied that he was racist and was apparently exasperated by the criticism and said something to the effect that "Colonel Sanders called black people niggers and he didn't get in trouble for it."

Afterwards, because he used "the n word" he was pressured to resign.

Is my understanding accurate? If so, then WTF? Isn't it plain that he wasn't using the word, that he was simply describing another person's use of the word?

If this new standard applies, should I be barred from being a CEO, a civic officer or otherwise because of my use of the word above?
  #2  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:40 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 29,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I have read several news accounts (and they can be found everywhere) but my understanding of the use of the racial slur was as follows:

The CEO was in a meeting addressing the heat that Papa Johns had been taking for speaking out in favor of NFL players standing for the national anthem and not remaining in the locker room or taking a knee. Some had said that stance was racist against blacks. In the meeting he denied that he was racist and was apparently exasperated by the criticism and said something to the effect that "Colonel Sanders called black people niggers and he didn't get in trouble for it."

Afterwards, because he used "the n word" he was pressured to resign.

Is my understanding accurate? If so, then WTF? Isn't it plain that he wasn't using the word, that he was simply describing another person's use of the word?

If this new standard applies, should I be barred from being a CEO, a civic officer or otherwise because of my use of the word above?
That seems pretty clear to me that the CEO is trying to excuse/justify usage of the racial slur, which seems like a pretty dumb thing for a CEO to say.
  #3  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Doyle Doyle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That seems pretty clear to me that the CEO is trying to excuse/justify usage of the racial slur, which seems like a pretty dumb thing for a CEO to say.
I agree with iiandyiiii on almost nothing, but I do agree with him here.

Last edited by Doyle; 07-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.
  #4  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That seems pretty clear to me that the CEO is trying to excuse/justify usage of the racial slur, which seems like a pretty dumb thing for a CEO to say.
Perhaps I'm being dense. He did not use the slur. He described another person using the slur to illustrate that the other person engaged in far worse conduct, but did not take heat from the media.

IOW, he seemingly acknowledged that Sanders' use of the slur was awful, yet Sanders still did not take the heat that he had.
  #5  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Thing Fish Thing Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago (NL)
Posts: 2,571
I'm not sure if it is actually true that Colonel Sanders ever said that, but even if so, he has been dead for decades. Progress has been made in the interim.
  #6  
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
I'm not sure if it is actually true that Colonel Sanders ever said that, but even if so, he has been dead for decades. Progress has been made in the interim.
Fine. So let's concede that his argument was pretty bad. It still doesn't mean that the CEO used the word to insult or to describe black people.
  #7  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:09 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
I think it's likely (based on no proof) that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. When I've seen people let go for harassment or inappropriate behavior or inappropriate jokes, it has never been the case that people are confused. Mostly it's, "well, it's about time. I can't believe it took that long."

In this case, he may have had a history of inappropriate or racist behavior, but this is the one that just took it too far. I think there was a third party on the phone at the time (marketing firm?), and maybe that also played into the decision.

Also, his argument seems to be, well, the football thing may make me seem racist, but I'm not as racist as Colonel Sanders. As you say, that's a pretty weak argument. He's racist, but at least he keeps his n-words to himself!

Last edited by RitterSport; 07-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.
  #8  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:18 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
It's not about Sensitivity or Insensitivity Anymore

People are just looking for ANY excuse to rail on about racism - real, perceived or totally imaginary. Just yesterday, a local BBQ chain was in the news because they used color-coded stickers on delivery orders, and when they ran out of stickers, an employee wrote "black/negro" on the order, using the term negro as the specific Spanish term so there were no mix-ups by the Latino drivers.

Didn't go over too well.
  #9  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:19 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Also, his argument seems to be, well, the football thing may make me seem racist, but I'm not as racist as Colonel Sanders. As you say, that's a pretty weak argument. He's racist, but at least he keeps his n-words to himself!
Ah, I see. Your interpretation of his comments are:

CEO: Damn, I do hate black people but they can't call me out on it because I haven't exactly said that. Hell, Colonel Sanders came right out and said it, and he didn't get in trouble, so why should I get in trouble for hating blacks secretly while he did it openly!

Whereas my interpretation is:

CEO: These accusations of racism are absurd. I have no issue with black people at all. But even if I did, why are people picking through my brain or my words? Even if they did find something racist, which they won't, Colonel Sanders was openly racist and didn't get in trouble. My conduct is orders of magnitude less than his and I should not be subject to such an inquisition.

Is that fair? I think we could all agree that if he said exactly "the n word" instead of using the word, he would have kept his job. So is it merely the use of the word that is now bad regardless of intent? Should I resign my civic posts because of the OP?
  #10  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:20 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 34,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Perhaps I'm being dense. He did not use the slur. He described another person using the slur to illustrate that the other person engaged in far worse conduct, but did not take heat from the media.

IOW, he seemingly acknowledged that Sanders' use of the slur was awful, yet Sanders still did not take the heat that he had.
And, by doing that, he was trying to excuse himself. He just favorably brought up that Sanders used the n-word. He didn't bring it up as "this is obviously wrong and he shouldn't have gotten away with it." He brought it up as "He got away with being racist, so I should, too."

It's such a dumb argument that, to me at least, it comes across as an excuse to use the word. Yes, Sanders got away with racism a long time ago. That doesn't mean that he should get away with it now. So why bring that up?

But, mostly, he was already in hot water for possible racism. And then he just happens to pull out a statement that uses the n-word? That's obviously a bad idea. Combined with the other actions, he just convinced everyone that he was a racist.
  #11  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:21 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Also, his argument seems to be, well, the football thing may make me seem racist, but I'm not as racist as Colonel Sanders. As you say, that's a pretty weak argument. He's racist, but at least he keeps his n-words to himself!
This, exactly. He was using Col. Sanders' bad behavior to excuse/justify/minimize his own. He was saying, "Hey, I may be a racist piece of shit, but this guy was worse and he got away with it!"

At the least, it was a terrible argument, and at best, it was a completely tone deaf and idiotic thing to say. Either way, that guy can't be the face of the company and at least he's smart enough to recognize that.

Unfortunately for them, his name is also part of the company's name, so I don't know how they're going to reconcile that, but that's their problem.
  #12  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Fine. So let's concede that his argument was pretty bad. It still doesn't mean that the CEO used the word to insult or to describe black people.
That isn't really the point. The way I read this story, a whole series of previous remarks had offended people as being racist. He tried to defend himself by saying that Colonel Sanders allegedly used the n-word all the time and never got in trouble for it (in the good ol' says, that we wish we had again), and also don't forget Schnatter's lovely reminiscences about his childhood in Indiana, where they used to drag black people behind pickup trucks until they died. He seems to be saying, hey, I'd never do that (at least, not any more) so what are y'all raggin' on me for?

The guy is a transparent racist whose criteria for "not a racist" are:

1. Do not call African-Americans the n-word to their face, and
2. Do not drag them behind a pickup truck until they're dead.

Don't do those things, kids, and it's all good.

That's why he was dumped. He's too racist and/or too stupid to recognize his own racism.
  #13  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:23 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 34,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
CEO: These accusations of racism are absurd. I have no issue with black people at all. But even if I did, why are people picking through my brain or my words? Even if they did find something racist, which they won't, Colonel Sanders was openly racist and didn't get in trouble. My conduct is orders of magnitude less than his and I should not be subject to such an inquisition.
Which is still holding out the situation with Colonel Sanders as having been the right thing. It's saying that CEOs should be able to get away with at least some level of racism.

Comparative racism is never a good idea.

Last edited by BigT; 07-16-2018 at 04:28 PM.
  #14  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
People are just looking for ANY excuse to rail on about racism - real, perceived or totally imaginary. Just yesterday, a local BBQ chain was in the news because they used color-coded stickers on delivery orders, and when they ran out of stickers, an employee wrote "black/negro" on the order, using the term negro as the specific Spanish term so there were no mix-ups by the Latino drivers.

Didn't go over too well.
I don't see how this is relevant to the thread, but I find it very unlikely that a publicly traded company is going to make decisions about firing their CEO or Chairman (or whatever he was) for totally imaginary reasons. I also think you underestimate how much sway a Chairman has, and how his behavior must have been in order to get him terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Ah, I see. Your interpretation of his comments are:

CEO: Damn, I do hate black people but they can't call me out on it because I haven't exactly said that. Hell, Colonel Sanders came right out and said it, and he didn't get in trouble, so why should I get in trouble for hating blacks secretly while he did it openly!

Whereas my interpretation is:

CEO: These accusations of racism are absurd. I have no issue with black people at all. But even if I did, why are people picking through my brain or my words? Even if they did find something racist, which they won't, Colonel Sanders was openly racist and didn't get in trouble. My conduct is orders of magnitude less than his and I should not be subject to such an inquisition.

Is that fair? I think we could all agree that if he said exactly "the n word" instead of using the word, he would have kept his job. So is it merely the use of the word that is now bad regardless of intent? Should I resign my civic posts because of the OP?
No, I think the interpretation is secondary to my main point that this was likely just the latest in a long string of iffy behavior. Large, publicly traded companies don't just make rash decisions.

Anyway, if, as I surmise, this is just one example of bad behavior, then he may have lost the benefit of the doubt as to how his comments should be interpreted. That is, given past behavior (admittedly hypothetical), there was no reason to interpret what he said in the most positive light possible.
  #15  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
To follow up: I said his argument was poor, not because it covered up latent racism, but because it referred to something that happened years in the past. It would be like if the Alabama governor today used a racial slur but said, "George Wallace stood in the schoolhouse door and people said he was a hero. What is one word compared to that?"

The argument, as another poster said, fails to take into account the change in culture since Colonel Sanders died in 1980 (if he indeed ever did use the term) and makes it a very poor argument.

But I still don't agree that it is a cover up for racism. If I am a Senator from Massachusetts and get a DUI, am asked to resign, and then say, "But Ted Kennedy was probably DUI AND he killed someone but nobody made him resign!" am I condoning DUI?
  #16  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:35 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But I still don't agree that it is a cover up for racism. If I am a Senator from Massachusetts and get a DUI, am asked to resign, and then say, "But Ted Kennedy was probably DUI AND he killed someone but nobody made him resign!" am I condoning DUI?
You're not condoning it, but you're not addressing it either. You're just making an end-run around the question to deflect responsibility for your own wrongdoing.
  #17  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:40 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I don't see how this is relevant to the thread...
Sorry - thought the thread was about excessively trivial racial slur complaints, and some people's tendency to see imaginary racial slights because of their hypersensitivity.
  #18  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:40 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I don't see how this is relevant to the thread, but I find it very unlikely that a publicly traded company is going to make decisions about firing their CEO or Chairman (or whatever he was) for totally imaginary reasons. I also think you underestimate how much sway a Chairman has, and how his behavior must have been in order to get him terminated.
I disagree. It is all about the image and the media coverage. They don't want to be seen, whether they are right or wrong, as protecting a racist. Even if he is innocent of the accusation. If it was not for the public perception, these corporations would not give a shit if he secretly hated blacks, Asians, or gays if he kept the bottom line profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
No, I think the interpretation is secondary to my main point that this was likely just the latest in a long string of iffy behavior. Large, publicly traded companies don't just make rash decisions.

Anyway, if, as I surmise, this is just one example of bad behavior, then he may have lost the benefit of the doubt as to how his comments should be interpreted. That is, given past behavior (admittedly hypothetical), there was no reason to interpret what he said in the most positive light possible.
As you say, this is pure speculation. Do you disagree that he likely would not have been forced to resign if instead of using the actual word, his comments were otherwise the same but in place he said, literally and quote "the n word"?
  #19  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:48 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 29,827
I still think he was saying, essentially, "it can't be a big deal if Col Sanders got away with it".
  #20  
Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I disagree. It is all about the image and the media coverage. They don't want to be seen, whether they are right or wrong, as protecting a racist. Even if he is innocent of the accusation. If it was not for the public perception, these corporations would not give a shit if he secretly hated blacks, Asians, or gays if he kept the bottom line profitable.



As you say, this is pure speculation. Do you disagree that he likely would not have been forced to resign if instead of using the actual word, his comments were otherwise the same but in place he said, literally and quote "the n word"?
Think about it this way. He was already considered racially insensitive for his NFL remarks and lost the CEO position. Now, the board decided to fire him as chairman, the guy whose name is the company name, because he's too racist. They declared that the John of Papa John is too racist to stay - do you think they made that decision lightly or arbitrarily? Do you think they were worried about the effect on the stock when they declared the company founder to be racist?

Anyway, this is speculation on my part, but from my experience working at many large, publicly traded companies, they wouldn't make that decision lightly.

That's all I really have to say here.
  #21  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 PM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace John Mace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 84,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I think it's likely (based on no proof) that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. When I've seen people let go for harassment or inappropriate behavior or inappropriate jokes, it has never been the case that people are confused. Mostly it's, "well, it's about time. I can't believe it took that long."

In this case, he may have had a history of inappropriate or racist behavior, but this is the one that just took it too far. I think there was a third party on the phone at the time (marketing firm?), and maybe that also played into the decision.

Also, his argument seems to be, well, the football thing may make me seem racist, but I'm not as racist as Colonel Sanders. As you say, that's a pretty weak argument. He's racist, but at least he keeps his n-words to himself!
I think that's an important point and that it's really impossible to decide, without all the other context, whether is behavior in that instance merited an ouster. If his record was clean in the past, then probably not. If his record wasn't so clean, then maybe it did merited the ouster.
  #22  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:01 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Sorry - thought the thread was about excessively trivial racial slur complaints, and some people's tendency to see imaginary racial slights because of their hypersensitivity.
Then, thank you for your un-cited anecdote. You don't mention what the fallout was, so I didn't see how it would apply.
  #23  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 PM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 13,292
Does anyone dispute that if instead of the slur that he used the phrase "the n word" that he wouldn't have lost his job?

I think it is terribly childish to restrict speech in that manner. Note how nobody in this thread after the OP used the word. We use all kinds of terrible words on this board all of the time, but not that one?

You may say that is the worst of all because of the offensive nature of it, but that is my point. Nobody in this thread has referred to that word in an offensive nature and arguably the CEO did not either. Are we in a modern age of infantile discussion where certain words are simply banned?
  #24  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 4,910
Just of record, when looking to see if Col. Sanders actually did say N****r I found this

Quote:

Mark Schone as head of public relations for Kentucky Fried Chicken in the late '70s, Ray Callender traveled the country with the Colonel for several years. He had to kick his boss under the table sometimes to stop him griping to the press about the declining quality of Kentucky Fried Chicken, and he heard a lot of salty language in the back of the Colonel's white Caddy. But as a black man riding shotgun for the very emblem of white southernness, Callender never once caught Sanders saying the n-word.

Ray Callender:
Quote:
And the only close incident that came like that was when he was writing his own little speech in preparation for whatever was going on, and he turned to me and said, he wanted to know what us nice folks were calling ourselves these days. And I looked up and I said, well, what do you mean? And he said, well, is-- his term was-- he didn't say nigger. It was Negra. And I said, oh, this is where it comes to a stop. Nowadays we call ourselves black. And then he would say, Well, I wouldn't call you nice folks black. To the Colonel, black was a derogatory term to him. And you can imagine coming through that time, that's-- he was raised in that environment.
So not only is it a bad argument, its also false.
  #25  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Does anyone dispute that if instead of the slur that he used the phrase "the n word" that he wouldn't have lost his job?

I think it is terribly childish to restrict speech in that manner. Note how nobody in this thread after the OP used the word. We use all kinds of terrible words on this board all of the time, but not that one?

You may say that is the worst of all because of the offensive nature of it, but that is my point. Nobody in this thread has referred to that word in an offensive nature and arguably the CEO did not either. Are we in a modern age of infantile discussion where certain words are simply banned?
If it was clear from the context in the room that he was using the Colonel's hypothetical racism to excuse his own racist behavior, then I don't think it would have mattered whether he used n-word or nigger.
  #26  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,510
Is he in a right-to-work state? If so, they can fire him for any reason they like. God bless America!
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #27  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I think we could all agree that if he said exactly "the n word" instead of using the word, he would have kept his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Does anyone dispute that if instead of the slur that he used the phrase "the n word" that he wouldn't have lost his job?

I don’t get why you’re so keen about this point.

As far as I can tell, you repeatedly figure that all of us will agree that he wouldn’t have lost his job if he’d just said “the n word” instead. It seems obvious to you, to the point where you think that must be the unanimous opinion hereabouts.

And this guy was too stupid to do that. You keep saying we can all agree that he just had to make that one easy change — and, well, he’s too stupid to do that. He had an easy task in front of him, and he’s just too stupid to do that.

Of course I’d want to fire that guy! What the heck would he stupidly bungle next?
  #28  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Is he in a right-to-work state? If so, they can fire him for any reason they like. God bless America!
I think you mean an at-will employment state. Right-to-work states are places where you can work in union shops without being in the union (I believe).
  #29  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
I think you mean an at-will employment state. Right-to-work states are places where you can work in union shops without being in the union (I believe).
Huh, I'd thought "right to work" was some kid of Orwellian term Americans used to mean "they can fire you any time they want." I stand cheerfully corrected.

Anyway, if the OP feels the guy was fired unfairly.... too fucking bad, this is America! What, you hate capitalism or something, comrade?!
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #30  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Does anyone dispute that if instead of the slur that he used the phrase "the n word" that he wouldn't have lost his job?
I'll dispute that. I have absolutely no idea if he'd have been fired if he had said "the n-word" instead. I have absolutely no idea if he'd have been fired if he'd never brought up the dumb Colonel Sanders thing in the first place. Him being fired may very well have been a foregone conclusion going into the meeting, regardless of what the guy said.
  #31  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Voyager Voyager is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 43,693
From the Times article about this, it seems his face is part of their logo, and so anything he does wrong is going to be magnified.
But I bet the real reason is that their sales are bad. He whined that it was all the fault of the NFL protesters, but Pizza Hut bid on and won the NFL pizza franchise, so they obviously thought it was a good deal. So the controversy might have been an excuse for kicking his ass to the curb because of the business.
  #32  
Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I don’t get why you’re so keen about this point.

As far as I can tell, you repeatedly figure that all of us will agree that he wouldn’t have lost his job if he’d just said “the n word” instead. It seems obvious to you, to the point where you think that must be the unanimous opinion hereabouts.

And this guy was too stupid to do that. You keep saying we can all agree that he just had to make that one easy change — and, well, he’s too stupid to do that. He had an easy task in front of him, and he’s just too stupid to do that.

Of course I’d want to fire that guy! What the heck would he stupidly bungle next?
And, I think the meeting was in the context of containing PR problems in the context of his perceived racial insensitivity, right? I'm happy to be corrected on that, but if that's true, it makes his boneheaded use of that word even dumber.

At least he didn't use the really stupid excuse that rappers use it all the time, right?
  #33  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Then, thank you for your un-cited anecdote. You don't mention what the fallout was, so I didn't see how it would apply.
Sorry you didn't understand the thread topic being something to the effect of racial sensitivity run amok.
  #34  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
If this new standard applies, should I be barred from being a CEO, a civic officer or otherwise because of my use of the word above?
Perhaps you should describe under what circumstances, and how many times, you've used this racist term before the group can properly address your question.
  #35  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Sorry you didn't understand the thread topic being something to the effect of racial sensitivity run amok.
When circumstances like that happen, I don't understand why a huge corporate chain just doesn't say "Oh shit, sorry about that. Labels ran out and it had nothing to do with race. Here, let us cater an entire party for you or something"

But it seems like they hem and haw, and ignore emails and all kinds of crap. I don't understand that corporate logic. It doesn't make any sense.
  #36  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Sorry you didn't understand the thread topic being something to the effect of racial sensitivity run amok.
Oh, I thought this thread was about whether a chairman who lost his CEO job due to racial insensitivity was being stupid or racist when bringing forth a dumb argument while using a controversial word while on the phone with a PR firm hired to deal with controversy due to his racial insensitivity. Instead, it's about stupid people misreading some note, like that idiot who objected to the term niggardly. Thanks for clearing that up.

I feel like further conversation here will not be time well spent, so off I flounce.
  #37  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
When circumstances like that happen, I don't understand why a huge corporate chain just doesn't say "Oh shit, sorry about that. Labels ran out and it had nothing to do with race. Here, let us cater an entire party for you or something"
Actually that is pretty much what happened. The Westworld article is sparse. The Manager apologized profusely, but the church was more interested in holding a demonstration. You had to see the local news coverage for the full story.
  #38  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,881
Well there seem to be two stories:

Jones reached out to Famous Dave's staff via email on June 21, June 25 and July 10. By July 14, he says he had still not heard back from Famous Dave’s lawyers. “I’ve never experienced anything like this in my entire career of practicing law," he says. "We have never had our concerns acknowledged.”

"We have offered to meet and talk about it. The church is not being receptive. I'm afraid it's turning into something that it shouldn't," says Jeff Meyer, director of operations for Famous Dave's Colorado.
  #39  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Well there seem to be two stories:
Correct. Because one side views it quite differently than the other. If you saw the 9news coverage on last evening's broadcast, you'd understand. Once it hits the cyberwaves all bets are off..
  #40  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
Correct. Because one side views it quite differently than the other. If you saw the 9news coverage on last evening's broadcast, you'd understand. Once it hits the cyberwaves all bets are off..
Was there more on the coverage than "One side says this, and the other side says that"?
  #41  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:20 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Does anyone dispute that if instead of the slur that he used the phrase "the n word" that he wouldn't have lost his job?

I think it is terribly childish to restrict speech in that manner. Note how nobody in this thread after the OP used the word. We use all kinds of terrible words on this board all of the time, but not that one?

You may say that is the worst of all because of the offensive nature of it, but that is my point. Nobody in this thread has referred to that word in an offensive nature and arguably the CEO did not either. Are we in a modern age of infantile discussion where certain words are simply banned?
Of course not, if John Schnatter were an eloquent philosopher making a well-intended and well-received point about racism in America, and he happened to use the n word, do you honestly thing he would have lost his job?

By your own admission he was saying something boneheaded and tone deaf, at a time when he couldn't afford to say anything boneheaded. And to put a cherry on top, he chose to use a word that ensured everyone in the room and on the call perked up and paid attention to the boneheaded thing he was saying.

So yeah, in one sense using that word might have been the breaking point, in that if he hadn't used it maybe his boneheaded remark would have slipped under the radar. But spinning this as PC run amok is just too far.
  #42  
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 34,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But I still don't agree that it is a cover up for racism. If I am a Senator from Massachusetts and get a DUI, am asked to resign, and then say, "But Ted Kennedy was probably DUI AND he killed someone but nobody made him resign!" am I condoning DUI?
Sorta. You are saying that a DUI should not be a valid reason to ask someone to resign. You are using the existence of a past wrong to justify your own wrong.

Now imagine you had previously been accused of DUIs but not proven. Would not such a comment make people think that you think DUIs are perfectly okay?

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to finish the analogy by changing your words to mention the use of a slur. I tried to slip in some slur against cops, but I couldn't figure out how. But, even without that part, it still seems pretty bad.
  #43  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Was there more on the coverage than "One side says this, and the other side says that"?
Interviews with the manager and church reps were the most juxtaposed nonsense I've seen all month. You had a young woman almost in tears fearing she might lose her job on one hand, and basically an angry mob on the other.
  #44  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to finish the analogy by changing your words to mention the use of a slur. I tried to slip in some slur against cops, but I couldn't figure out how...
After receiving my last grossly unfairly administered speeding ticket, I politely and with a big smile on my face said "Fuck you very much, Officer! Have a great day!" Admittedly it'd have been a sexually abusive and insulting way to say goodbye were they female, and I'd probably been hauled away from there, but he just walked back to his bike shaking his head.
  #45  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:32 PM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 11,144
Actually, I think the OP does not understand the core issue. The CEO made his comments during a role playing exercise designed to prevent public relations gaffes. The fact that during that exercise he dropped the N bomb demonstrated an astounding level of insensitivity and incompetence.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/11/new...ex.html?iid=EL

Last edited by madmonk28; 07-16-2018 at 08:33 PM.
  #46  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM
BeenJammin BeenJammin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Actually, I think the OP does not understand the core issue. The CEO made his comments during a role playing exercise designed to prevent public relations gaffes. The fact that during that exercise he dropped the N bomb demonstrated an astounding level of insensitivity and incompetence.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/11/new...ex.html?iid=EL
Or a brilliant example of what NOT to do/say? For instructional purposes only, of course!
  #47  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenJammin View Post
After receiving my last grossly unfairly administered speeding ticket, I politely and with a big smile on my face said "Fuck you very much, Officer! Have a great day!" Admittedly it'd have been a sexually abusive and insulting way to say goodbye were they female, and I'd probably been hauled away from there, but he just walked back to his bike shaking his head.
Were you speeding?
  #48  
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12,049
So if he had said, "Colonel Sanders used the N-word and didn't get criticized for it," he'd be in the clear?
  #49  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So if he had said, "Colonel Sanders used the N-word and didn't get criticized for it," he'd be in the clear?
How the hell would we know? This question has already been asked, and has had several answers, but ultimately, who knows?

Did you read the thread?

I was right above. Reflouncing now.

Last edited by RitterSport; 07-16-2018 at 09:05 PM.
  #50  
Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 PM
DavidwithanR DavidwithanR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I have read several news accounts (and they can be found everywhere) but my understanding of the use of the racial slur was as follows:

The CEO was in a meeting addressing the heat that Papa Johns had been taking for speaking out in favor of NFL players standing for the national anthem and not remaining in the locker room or taking a knee. Some had said that stance was racist against blacks. In the meeting he denied that he was racist and was apparently exasperated by the criticism and said something to the effect that "Colonel Sanders called black people niggers and he didn't get in trouble for it."

Afterwards, because he used "the n word" he was pressured to resign.

Is my understanding accurate? If so, then WTF? Isn't it plain that he wasn't using the word, that he was simply describing another person's use of the word?

If this new standard applies, should I be barred from being a CEO, a civic officer or otherwise because of my use of the word above?
1. Nobody spoke in favor of standing; they spoke against kneeling.

2. Yes. Oh wait - I misunderstood. Using it in your post above? I don't think so. Using it in a similar manner at work? Yes.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 07-17-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017