Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 AM

Things adults do that you find (mildly) juvenile

I'm sure there have been many variants on this topic before - the one about ordering milk in a bar was a good one. What brought it to mind this time is a coworker who sips drinks out of a cup with a straw all day long. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was at a fast food restaurant or the movies or something. But our company just switched to paper straws and this guy had such a fit I realized that pretty much any time I look at him he's sucking on that straw. Had he not been about to go ballistic, I would have said "you're a 52 year old man; learn how to drink from a big boy cup".

Another example is a local radio host who insists ice cream cones are for children; adults should be eating out of a bowl only.

Finally, same office - different co-worker- has very strong opinions about adults eating those Lunchable snack packs (essentially cheese, meat and crackers ostensibly for kids to bring to school).

Are there any behaviors that you find somewhat childish when you see an adult exhibiting them?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Riding skateboards.

I cling to my childhood obsessions as much as the next geek, so it's somewhat irrational, but man do I hate adults on skateboards.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Eating white bread.
Not drinking coffee (guilty).

The Pit on this board. (Snark on that "other" board) (also guilty)

Video games.
Cartoons.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Marry and vote, as though these will improve their lives.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Reported to suggest forum change.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Yup, more of an IMHO than a CS. Moving.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Getting so caught up in a sport as a spectator. People can be quite absurd about *their* team.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
What brought it to mind this time is a coworker who sips drinks out of a cup with a straw all day long. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was at a fast food restaurant or the movies or something. But our company just switched to paper straws and this guy had such a fit I realized that pretty much any time I look at him he's sucking on that straw. Had he not been about to go ballistic, I would have said "you're a 52 year old man; learn how to drink from a big boy cup".
On this subject, it's recently* become the norm in chain restaurants (e.g. Denny's, Outback) to give you a straw with your soft drink if you order one, even though the soda's served in a regular glass. At many of these places, the drink will arrive with the straw already in it.

At first, my reaction was, 'WTF do I need a straw for? I'm not a kid.' But now I just shrug. And if the straw's already in the glass, I use it.

*Like over the past decade or two. When you get old, your perspective on time gets all funny.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM

Harry Potter fixation.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
On this subject, it's recently* become the norm in chain restaurants (e.g. Denny's, Outback) to give you a straw with your soft drink if you order one, even though the soda's served in a regular glass. At many of these places, the drink will arrive with the straw already in it.

At first, my reaction was, 'WTF do I need a straw for? I'm not a kid.' But now I just shrug. And if the straw's already in the glass, I use it.

*Like over the past decade or two. When you get old, your perspective on time gets all funny.
I'm with ya, RT. It's not that I never use a straw; it will take me a bit of effort to drink a nonalcoholic beverage at a restaurant without a straw. No rational reason just a bit of psychological "ick factor". If the straw is already in it then it's kind of too late but I won't ask for one. This guy, though, can NOT enjoy a drink of he can't sip it through a straw (AND THE PAPER ONES FALL APART IN HIS MOUTH AFTER THE FIRST SIP, GODDAMIT!!!!! ) Oh, calamity.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What brought it to mind this time is a coworker who sips drinks out of a cup with a straw all day long. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought if it was at a fast food restaurant or the movies or something. But our company just switched to paper straws and this guy had such a fit I realized that pretty much any time I look at him he's sucking on that straw. Had he not been about to go ballistic, I would have said "you're a 52 year old man; learn how to drink from a big boy cup".
I, on the other hand, have never thought of straws as for children, ever. Never crossed my mind until I read this. If drinking a drink with ice, I strongly prefer a straw. No ice, don't use straw.

Some people also have teeth sensitive to cold, and prefer a straw for that reason. I don't have that excuse, and frankly don't need it. There is nothing childish about preferring a straw. It's a preference, nothing more.

Last edited by Tzigone; 07-18-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Cartoons. I mean, there's some that are clearly made for an older audience and you have animated films and such, fine. But the Cartoon Network kiddie stuff ("Oh, but some of it is so clever!") seems like an obsession you should have moved on from by now.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 AM

Well, I do some pretty juvenile stuff myself (I still jump on the moonbounce at kids' birthday parties, for example), so I'm hesitant to pass judgment. Hesitant, but I'll do it.

The example that comes to mind for me: I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding, and she had a buffet spread with a pretty good, standard selection of food. You know, meat, noodles, potatoes, vegetables, dessert. After the wedding, a couple was nice enough to give me a ride back to the hotel, but before dropping me off, they had to swing by the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant because the husband was a picky eater and didn't like any of the standard fare at the wedding. Which seemed like exactly the sort of thing you'd need to do to accommodate a five year old.

That's a specific example, but to make it more general, people who are so picky that they cannot find anything to eat on a menu, or at a place with a generous selection of foods. I realize that some people may have some sort of condition that makes them extra sensitive to that sort of thing (aren't some autistic people extremely picky about the flavors and textures of food?), but regardless, that behavior is so much more common in young children that it strikes me as juvenile behavior.

P.S. I'm not referring to people who have food allergies, or dietary restrictions due to their religion or something. I'm referring to people who simply don't like the taste of almost everything except pizza and chicken nuggets.

Last edited by The wind of my soul; 07-18-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
Some people also have teeth sensitive to cold, and prefer a straw for that reason. I don't have that excuse, and frankly don't need it. There is nothing childish about preferring a straw. It's a preference, nothing more.
My dentist recommends a straw to cut down on the amount of sugary liquids flowing over your teeth. I don't really do it, but he does recommend it.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 AM

Not exactly in the same vein, but thru hiking the Appalachian Trail does have a lot of similarities to becoming a child again, and I believe that is perhaps a subconscious way of healing issues that are/should be done when one is a child. What I mean by this is that one's life and task become very simple, eat, sleep and walk. The path is easy to follow, so even a child can do it. One stays in hostels often and sleep in child like bunkbeds and other sleeping arrangements which is more suitable for a child, and the adult hiker must give up adult expectations to enjoy the simple things that are provided. There is lots of help given by others (called trail angels), treats (called trail magic), and also they provide rides very freely (as hikers don't have cars and require others for such rides). Plus most importantly one is praised many many times for doing this very simple task (like praising a child who is learning to walk), and helped when one gets off track or in trouble. It is also not uncommon upon arriving at a hostel to be ordered to take off one's cloths, given town clothed to wear while yours are washed (in a changing room, not told to strip down in front of everyone).

It can be a very healing journey and often is. Many thru hikers have stated it restored their faith in humanity. I believe it is this child like aspect and support for that by others, that really helps heal people.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
I, on the other hand, have never thought of straws as for children, ever. Never crossed my mind until I read this. If drinking a drink with ice, I strongly prefer a straw. No ice, don't use straw.

That's why I added "mildly" to the OP.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
My dentist recommends a straw to cut down on the amount of sugary liquids flowing over your teeth. I don't really do it, but he does recommend it.
I've gotten the same advice, but that was because I have thin enamel in a few spots and soda is somewhat acidic, which in hindsight may be how I got thin enamel in the first place. That said, though, plastic straws are about Ä1 per 100-pack around here, so if I ever needed them at work I'd just buy my own and keep in a desk drawer.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Riding skateboards.

I cling to my childhood obsessions as much as the next geek, so it's somewhat irrational, but man do I hate adults on skateboards.
And adults riding those little trick or BMX type bikes. It looks so ridiculous.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM

When I was a kid other kids would point their fingers and go ""Ummmmmmmmmmmmm". if they saw another kid doing something in a different way to what they thought should be the standard. So pretty much any time anyone does that.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM

When my husband eats hotdish with a SPOON! OMG I can't even stand to look at him when does this. I asked him why when I first noticed it - he said because you can get more food on a spoon than on a fork.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Riding skateboards.

This. A 100% this.

Also, people who cry or storm out when their team loses at sport.

As also mentioned, really picky eaters. My (50 year old) brother-in-law basically eats burgers, fried eggs and cheese. At our wedding - which involved multiple sharing plates of deliciousness for people of all food preferences - he went to the bar downstairs and ordered himself a burger (and put it on our bill).

He also comes round our house and sits playing games on his iPad, not engaging in conversation. He lives in Brazil, so we see him about once a year, and when we do he's like some grumpy teenager.

My sister in law often talks about having three children - her twins and him. I'd have divorced him years ago.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
When my husband eats hotdish with a SPOON! OMG I can't even stand to look at him when does this. I asked him why when I first noticed it - he said because you can get more food on a spoon than on a fork.
What is hotdish? Why is it wrong to use a spoon?
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM

When I take a shower, I always put a towel over the shower curtain rod, or someplace else where I can reach it, so I can dry my eyes and not get soap or shampoo in them. I had someone tell me once that that was childish.

It was the added benefit that, when the shower is over, I can dry myself in the shower and not drip all over the bathroom floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Cartoons.
I didn't watch most cartoons as a kid, but I was a big fan of Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Warner Brothers' troupe, and I still go to retrospectives of their work on occasion. I don't know that I'd defend it as "ooh, it's so clever" but there are skills in the animation and story telling that I didn't appreciate as a child.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
What is hotdish? Why is it wrong to use a spoon?
It's basically a casserole.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Well, I do some pretty juvenile stuff myself (I still jump on the moonbounce at kids' birthday parties, for example), so I'm hesitant to pass judgment. Hesitant, but I'll do it.

The example that comes to mind for me: I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding, and she had a buffet spread with a pretty good, standard selection of food. You know, meat, noodles, potatoes, vegetables, dessert. After the wedding, a couple was nice enough to give me a ride back to the hotel, but before dropping me off, they had to swing by the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant because the husband was a picky eater and didn't like any of the standard fare at the wedding. Which seemed like exactly the sort of thing you'd need to do to accommodate a five year old.

That's a specific example, but to make it more general, people who are so picky that they cannot find anything to eat on a menu, or at a place with a generous selection of foods. I realize that some people may have some sort of condition that makes them extra sensitive to that sort of thing (aren't some autistic people extremely picky about the flavors and textures of food?), but regardless, that behavior is so much more common in young children that it strikes me as juvenile behavior.

P.S. I'm not referring to people who have food allergies, or dietary restrictions due to their religion or something. I'm referring to people who simply don't like the taste of almost everything except pizza and chicken nuggets.
Sometimes that generous selection has more in common than you might think. It's not uncommon to see a huge spread where everything available has at least one of a handful of ingredients that a lot of people have strong aversions to - like mayo, sour cream, mushrooms. To be more specific, I can't stand guacamole, refried beans, or sour cream, but in some Mexican restaurants nearly every item on the menu includes refried beans and at least one of the other two. Makes you feel like you're in the infamous Spam sketch.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Are there any behaviors that you find somewhat childish when you see an adult exhibiting them?
you mean, apart from worrying about inconsequential things other people do?

I'm only half joking; IMO it's actually pretty juvenile in and of itself to think adults have to do things a certain way. Ice cream cones are childish? seriously?

another one is undergarment. some guys have it in their heads that guys have to wear boxers once they're "adults," commonly with the put down that they "haven't worn briefs ever since their mom stopped buying underwear for them."
Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
When I take a shower, I always put a towel over the shower curtain rod, or someplace else where I can reach it, so I can dry my eyes and not get soap or shampoo in them. I had someone tell me once that that was childish.

It was the added benefit that, when the shower is over, I can dry myself in the shower and not drip all over the bathroom floor.

I didn't watch most cartoons as a kid, but I was a big fan of Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Warner Brothers' troupe, and I still go to retrospectives of their work on occasion. I don't know that I'd defend it as "ooh, it's so clever" but there are skills in the animation and story telling that I didn't appreciate as a child.
I can't see what's childish about the towel thing; actually a good idea if you ask me. And I wish Bugs Bunny cartoons were still on around here; I loved them as a child and if it's possible I enjoy them even more now.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:

What's the "non-childish" way to do this then? It seems to me that your way is the correct way. Probably because that's how I dry off too
Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I'd like to see some actual studies on this. My dentist told me that your tongue, lips, and saliva do a pretty good job of cleaning your teeth between brushing. Furthermore how do you drink liquid without a straw? It's not like you're straining it through your teeth! I would say most people pull liquid onto their tongue much like a straw does. Until proven otherwise, I would think there's no negligible difference. Unless of course you stick way into the back of your throat. Most people place the tip of the straw on or just past the lips. I say not much of a difference.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Grown men wearing short pants. It's not particularly rational or fair, but it's how I feel. It doesn't bother me in certain contexts (if they're at the beach, hiking, running, mowing the lawn, relaxing at their own home, etc.). But at restaurants or stores, at work or school, when visiting other people's houses, put on some long pants.

I think it bothers me because of my father's experiences. Until he as 12, his controlling, extremely old-fashioned mother wouldn't let him wear long pants, ever. He had to wear shorts in the summer and knee-pants (knickers) in winter, whether he wanted to or not (and he didn't want to). He so resented that childhood rule that he never wore shorts as an adult, even when the weather was hot. To this day I associate long pants with grown men and short pants with children. Myself I never wear shorts in public and only very, very rarely at home.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
I'd like to see some actual studies on this. [...] I say not much of a difference.
Eh, take it up with my dentist. I just thought there might be a legitimate reason for someone using a lot of straws. Where I count "On the advice of my medical professionals" as legitimate regardless of the peer review.

Or he could just be a straw-obsessed goof.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There is no way I can take a shower and NOT have something nearby to dry my face off with. I hate water on my face and am constantly wiping it off while showering. I literally have a towel rack in my shower for this express purpose.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I won't say it's childish to dry your eyes with a towel as you describe, but I've never had an issue with getting soap or shampoo in them. Close eyes while washing face/hair, rinse well, open eyes, everything's fine, no soap/shampoo irritation at all. Do your eyelids have some kind of anatomical irregularity that makes this challenging?

I do drape the towel over the curtain rod though - not to keep the floor dry, but so that I can towel off in the warm, super-humid micro-climate of the shower before stepping out into cold, dry air. Much more pleasant that way, especially in the winter when the bathroom air is really cold and dry.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Grown men wearing short pants. It's not particularly rational or fair, but it's how I feel. [...] To this day I associate long pants with grown men and short pants with children. Myself I never wear shorts in public and only very, very rarely at home.
Made worse these days with the Powers That Be deciding that cargo shorts are an abomination and that we should all wear straight shorts that look like they came from a British school uniform catalog. I'll stick with pants.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Spectator sports. I can understand if you're a player; good exercise, team spirit, etc. But watching someone else play a game, I just don't get it.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I can't see what's childish about the towel thing; actually a good idea if you ask me.
I think the idea was that a Real Adult would just wash his face, rinse the soap off, and open his eyes;* no towel required. Even if all the soap is rinsed away, I just don't like the feeling of water dripping into my open eyes.

My sample size for "towel over the curtain rod; yes or no" is two. I though about starting a thread on the subject, but I wasn't sure it met even the most generous mundane-and-pointless threshold.

* It was actually a woman who said it was childish, so perhaps that should read "wash her face", etc.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I won't say it's childish to dry your eyes with a towel as you describe, but I've never had an issue with getting soap or shampoo in them. Close eyes while washing face/hair, rinse well, open eyes, everything's fine, no soap/shampoo irritation at all. Do your eyelids have some kind of anatomical irregularity that makes this challenging?
Most of the time it's fine; close eyes, lather, rinse, etc. Maybe a couple times a decade there will just be a bit of shampoo residue at the corner of my eye when I open it, and that irritates a bit. I still just like to wipe the area around my eyes dry before I open them. Maybe it's a subconscious holdover from the few times I did get something in my eyes.

It's been ages since I've been swimming, but I remember I could swim with my eyes open. I didn't need a towel when I came out of the water and opened my eyes. Maybe I should try this new, adult method of showering. Never too old to learn something new, and every once in a while there's a shower with a full door and no room to drape a towel over it, which is how the subject came up in the first place.

Quote:
I do drape the towel over the curtain rod though - not to keep the floor dry, but so that I can towel off in the warm, super-humid micro-climate of the shower before stepping out into cold, dry air. Much more pleasant that way, especially in the winter when the bathroom air is really cold and dry.
That too. No reason to come out of a warm shower on a cold day until you really have to.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I think the idea was that a Real Adult would just wash his face, rinse the soap off, and open his eyes;* no towel required. Even if all the soap is rinsed away, I just don't like the feeling of water dripping into my open eyes.
I don't care for it either; if I open my eyes underwater or when my hair/forehead is dripping, it feels like somehow the water is accumulating under my eyelids. I manage to solve this with by slicking back my hair and wiping my forehead with my hand to stop the dripping, and rubbing my eyes a bit to drive out any accumulated water. YYMV.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
you mean, apart from worrying about inconsequential things other people do?

I'm only half joking; IMO it's actually pretty juvenile in and of itself to think adults have to do things a certain way. Ice cream cones are childish? seriously?

another one is undergarment. some guys have it in their heads that guys have to wear boxers once they're "adults," commonly with the put down that they "haven't worn briefs ever since their mom stopped buying underwear for them."
Yeah, I definitely subscribe to the XKCD view of adulthood.

Not taking responsibility for your own life, like getting your parents to bail you out because you didn't pay the bills on time? Juvenile. Having fun in ways that hurt no-one? What's the problem

Now if you'll excuse me, I have cartoons to watch while eating cream cakes in my jammies, because I can.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My Little Pony - I just don't get the obsession.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I achieved the childhood dream of having pizza and hamburgers every night for a week, but it was only because I had to use up the ground beef and cheese before they went bad.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM

[DELETED]
My list got pretty long so I deleted it when I realized nearly everything someone else does that comes to my attention is annoying. Common thread, though, is people behaving as though their interests are more important than someone else's. Making laws to ban stuff that hurts nobody, but seems gross. Seeking revenge. Hoarding & not sharing. Basically, stuff you can imagine a 3 year-old doing if they had 20-60 years to think it up.

Adults eating Cap'n Crunch while watching Adventure Time, or wearing comfortable clothing, or listening to music that helps them find value in their own lives, or just doing something harmless to others but which brings them joy...these are the opposite of annoying to me.

Maybe I don't understand the question?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I prefer this one.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Grown men wearing short pants. It's not particularly rational or fair, but it's how I feel. It doesn't bother me in certain contexts (if they're at the beach, hiking, running, mowing the lawn, relaxing at their own home, etc.). But at restaurants or stores, at work or school, when visiting other people's houses, put on some long pants.

I think it bothers me because of my father's experiences. Until he as 12, his controlling, extremely old-fashioned mother wouldn't let him wear long pants, ever. He had to wear shorts in the summer and knee-pants (knickers) in winter, whether he wanted to or not (and he didn't want to). He so resented that childhood rule that he never wore shorts as an adult, even when the weather was hot. To this day I associate long pants with grown men and short pants with children. Myself I never wear shorts in public and only very, very rarely at home.
I'm kind of the same way. My daughters sometimes ask me why I don't wear shorts in the summer, and I'll tell them truthfully that it's mostly because going outside half naked means the sun is beating down on my exposed skin, making me hotter, not cooler. But also, I'll occasionally point out adult men wearing shorts and ask them "Would you really want to be seen in public with me if I dressed like that?"

The other thing is that no one has worn real shorts since the early 80s. When I was in school knee length shorts were called "kneeknockers" and were the kiss of death socially. You could never live that down. Even if you revealed yourself to be Superduperman in the last panel, Lois Pain would just slap you down and say "Yer still a dork."
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Iíll go with adults that just canít keep their mouths shut. For example, I have three SILs. I have learned over the years, and have told my daughter the same, that unless you want personal and confidential information spread through the family, do not share. The moment something is said to one of them, it is either called into, or texted to the others. As intelligent adults, they all are, I think they are all capable of understanding when a conversation or topic is confidential and something I decided to share only with that person.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Grown men wearing short pants.
When I was a kid, I don't remember adults wearing flip-flops in public. And if you go back even further, a grown man would have always been wearing a hat, coat, and tie.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

My teeth are kind of sensitive, so I don't see any reason why I should put ice anywhere near them.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
[DELETED]
My list got pretty long so I deleted it when I realized nearly everything someone else does that comes to my attention is annoying. Common thread, though, is people behaving as though their interests are more important than someone else's. Making laws to ban stuff that hurts nobody, but seems gross. Seeking revenge. Hoarding & not sharing. Basically, stuff you can imagine a 3 year-old doing if they had 20-60 years to think it up.

Adults eating Cap'n Crunch while watching Adventure Time, or wearing comfortable clothing, or listening to music that helps them find value in their own lives, or just doing something harmless to others but which brings them joy...these are the opposite of annoying to me.

Maybe I don't understand the question?
I'd say you get the gist of the meaning but maybe not the spirit I had hoped the parenthetical "mildly" would imply that I'm referring to insignificant things that you vaguely associate as childish.

And jz78817,of course there are ways we as a society generally think adults should act and do things. This thread is just concerned with opinions so of course we're not all going to agree. Don't make me go back over the dozens of threads about picky eaters and find out that you were one of the many people that called me and my finicky brethren childish
Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
My Little Pony - I just don't get the obsession.
I enjoy MLP but honestly I would never go to a convention or dress up as one of the characters. On the other hand, are they any worse than people who are obsessed with sports?

Last edited by furryman; 07-18-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I enjoy MLP but honestly I would never go to a convention or dress up as one of the characters. On the other hand, are they any worse than people who are obsessed with sports?
The difference is that there have been grown men obsessed with sports for as long as I can remember, so it never registered with me as being incompatible with adulthood. But I don't remember any adults being obsessed with things like My Little Pony or Harry Potter or cartoons or superheroes when I was a kid.