Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 AM

I used to make fun of people who.... and now I am one

When I was younger, I'd drive down the street and see some old lady putting out the trash or raking leaves in an tacky housedress or baggy pants, mismatched socks, scarf on her head, and say to myself, "Geez, doesn't she realize what she looks like?" Sometimes I'd just feel sorry for the old bird, figuring no one ever sees her anyway...

Today I became her.

Just took the big recycle can out to the curb wearing a baggy housedress and woolly Alpine-patterned knee socks (hey, my feet get cold, even in the summertime), and crocs. A car drove by as I was doing it and I had this weird flashback/then & now sensation.

What have you surprised yourself by turning in to?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
(hey, my feet get cold, even in the summertime)
This reminds me of an instance. When I was young I used to make fun of my mother for sleeping with her bare feet sticking out from under the covers. Now I do it too, summer and winter, as do at least two of my siblings. It seems that as we age in this family, our feet get hot.

I used to make fun of my father for loading the trash (just one or two bags) into the car and driving it 200 feet to the end of the driveway instead of just carrying it. Now I live approximately the same distance from the road and do the same thing about half the time.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

My mother never knew the names of the latest bands and songs and who was in which group and who sang what and I remember thinking "I'll always know what's climbing up Billboard!"

Yeah. Right. Unless it's someone who's been mentioned in a title in Cafe Society, I am probably clueless.

Now get off my lawn, dammit!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM

I find I am talking to myself a lot because I am the only one who listens.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Hmm - this isn't even that recent. Dropping the boy off on his first day at uni, trailing up the stairs of a student accommodation block with boxes, looking at all the other parents doing the same and thinking: Look at that fat old bald guy..........oh Jesus......

j
Old 08-05-2018, 10:40 AM

I used to rag my MIL about worrying constantly about her adult children (Mr.Wrekker, included). I tried to tell her she didn't have to worry anymore, they were raised and her job was finished. Now I am that Mom. It doesn't feel nice for people to tell me to quit worrying. But, they do. I reply: "Just because they grew up doesn't mean I am not their Mother".

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-05-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Unfortunate typo!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:48 AM

I buy low fat, fat free, and sugar free versions of things, including the oxymoronic "fat free 1/2 & 1/2."
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Growing up, I also thought people who didn't go out and party at the bars were anti-social losers.

Now, nearing my 30s, I wince at people suggesting going out to bars. Nothing brings me more joy than spending a night in at home, playing on the computer, watching TV or reading a book.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Overweight ladies who wore baggy dresses. But here I am. Overweight. It's hot out. There is no such thing as a sundress for size 3x. Instead, I have a purple tie-dye bag of a dress that I'm thrilled to wear around the house and on casual tasks because it has pockets. There's nothing else attractive about it or me when I am in it. I am just keeping cool in a dress with pockets.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm almost 40 and I visit my parents quite a bit.

I'm financially independent, I just like seeing them knowing they won't be here forever. When I was a kid, the idea of doing that struck me as pretty pathetic.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

When my dad would have to brake unexpectedly when I was in the front passenger seat, he would throw his hand in front of my body even though I had my seat belt on, which I thought was unnecessary, useless, and slightly condescending, but when my much-younger sister was riding in my front passenger seat and I had to brake, my arm flew out in front of her too.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
When my dad would have to brake unexpectedly when I was in the front passenger seat, he would throw his hand in front of my body even though I had my seat belt on, which I thought was unnecessary, useless, and slightly condescending, but when my much-younger sister was riding in my front passenger seat and I had to brake, my arm flew out in front of her too.
I had a girlfriend who used to do this. Her concern was touching, but what worried me was that this appeared to be her first reaction to an unforseen hazard, preceding braking or steering.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I was doing this to my new co-driver on a dirt road rally. She was laughing about it afterwords when another racer spoke up and asked "Don't you know what she is doing?" My co-driver gave her a puzzled look. Racer says, "She's keeping the groceries from sliding off the seat." OMG, she was 100% right.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:39 PM

I've turned into my dad, except about 1/3 as smart.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

... had cellphones ... now I can’t put mine down.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 PM

I used to think my grandparents were the most boring people on earth because every time I was at their house, they had a CBC on, listening to some boring person talk about something boring. Now I love the CBC and especially love the long, boring things they talk about.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Buying cars that are more practical than cool was something I used to make fun of. Not any more.

Last edited by Grrr!; 08-05-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
My mom would toss her hand in front of me when braking. This was pre-seat belt days.

Almost fractured my ribs!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Recently I was driving with my son, who is a Master Sargent in the Air Force, FFS, and I threw my arm over him when I had to brake hard. He said "did you just Mom-arm me? And he laughed. A lot.

The one that gets me is that I have reached a point with my grandchildren where I have to ask for exact instructions on what they want for gifts or I will buy the wrong thing. It's past the point of a doll, some Legos or a red wagon. I have resorted to cash, now, and let them buy what they want.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 PM

And cash is so easy to wrap.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:51 PM

I used to smirk at those germaphobic snowflakes that took the antibacterial wipes and cleaned their grocery cart before shopping. After my last horrific bout of flu, I sanitize the ever-lovin' shit out of those stupid carts.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I refuse to end up like my parents, sitting at home watching "Murder She Wrote" instead of going out and having a good time.

We're different, and are sitting at home binge-watching "Father Brown" on Netflix.

For those unfamiliar -- both series are about an amateur sleuth in a small town, annoying the police but always solving the crime. And given the number of seasons (and murders) of each series, both feature towns which must have a murder rate exceeding any city in (probably) the world.

Last edited by pullin; 08-06-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
My mom would toss her hand in front of me when braking. This was pre-seat belt days.

Almost fractured my ribs!
How old are you? The first US patent for seat belts was applied for in 1885. Seat belts were standard on some cars by 1958. PSAs urging everyone to use seatbelts were shown on television no later than 1964, possibly earlier.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 AM

I used to laugh and point at those weird looking wheelchair people. Now I am one.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
How old are you? The first US patent for seat belts was applied for in 1885. Seat belts were standard on some cars by 1958. PSAs urging everyone to use seatbelts were shown on television no later than 1964, possibly earlier.
I'm guessing the reference is to the days before seat belt laws existed. When I took driver's ed in 1971, we had to buckle up while learning, but afterwards, no one cared if you belted yourself or not. I always did, but my dad didn't till it became the law.

Quote:
When did it become law to wear seatbelts?
Seat Belts and the Law. In 1983, front seat belt wearing regulations for drivers and passengers (both adult and children) came into force. In 1989, wearing rear seat belts became compulsory for children under 14.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 AM

Everything from 'Dunlap Syndrome' to wearing colored socks with sandals while taking out the trash (why take the time and trouble to put on shoes, I'll just slip these on. Who am I trying to impress anyways?)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
I refuse to end up like my parents, sitting at home watching "Murder She Wrote" instead of going out and having a good time.

We're different, and are sitting at home binge-watching "Father Brown" on Netflix.

For those unfamiliar -- both series are about an amateur sleuth in a small town, annoying the police but always solving the crime. And given the number of seasons (and murders) of each series, both feature towns which must have a murder rate exceeding any city in (probably) the world.
I've often said that Cabot Cove, Maine, has the highest per capita murder rate in the world. Possibly surpassed by Kembleford, UK.

Quote:
It was a long while after seatbelts became mandatory before people (including myself) actually started buckling up every single time. Especially back in the day of bench seats where you wanted to snuggle up to the driver. You didn't want to buckle yourself in waaaay over by the other door. (Yeah, there was probably a seatbelt in the middle of the front seat. Just sayin'.) Now, I fasten my seatbelt if I'm moving my car up the driveway.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Going to bed before 10:00 and getting up before 7:00.

Last night I went to bed at 8:45, today I was up at 5:15.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I watch murder mysteries and period dramas. I used to haaaaaate those when my parents watched them. I remember even saying something insulting about them to my Mother as she watched, which I now regret because it was so completely rude.

Having said that, I don't think I would enjoy those same old shows now, as they are so slow and dated.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I've often said that Cabot Cove, Maine, has the highest per capita murder rate in the world. Possibly surpassed by Kembleford, UK.

It was a long while after seatbelts became mandatory before people (including myself) actually started buckling up every single time. Especially back in the day of bench seats where you wanted to snuggle up to the driver. You didn't want to buckle yourself in waaaay over by the other door. (Yeah, there was probably a seatbelt in the middle of the front seat. Just sayin'.) Now, I fasten my seatbelt if I'm moving my car up the driveway.
I was born in 1960. Seatbelts weren't required by law, but they were required by my parents and many of my friends' parents. The "buckle up for safety" ads were a staple of my childhood. I took drivers' ed in 1975, and we were required to strap in before driving. For the final driving exam we weren't reminded to put them on, but we lost enough points if we didn't that we would be unlikely to pass.

My dad always laughs when he hears people say "we never wore seatbelts and we all grew up fine", because he remembers that people, especially children, got killed or seriously injured all the time in relatively minor accidents.

The first US laws requiring seatbelt use were in 1984, but Victoria Australia started mandating 3 point seatbelt use in 1970, followed by New South Wales in 1971 and the rest of Australia, New Zealand & West Germany in 1972.

I knew plenty of people who stubbornly refused to wear seatbelts long after the laws were passed (still do, for that matter), but I also knew plenty who religiously wore them long before they were mandated.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM

A democrat. I never "made fun" of democrats but, being raised as a moderate republican, they were always "the other side". Now, I AM "the other side".
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I use to call old drivers Grandpa or Grandma. I am now that Grandpa.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I used to laugh and point at those weird looking wheelchair people.
That is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Going to bed before 10:00 and getting up before 7:00.

Last night I went to bed at 8:45, today I was up at 5:15.
I've been going to bed anywhere from midnight to 3 a.m. I really need to improve my sleep schedule.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:13 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The old folks told the same stories over and over again...

My daughter isn't as diplomatic with me as I was with them.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

I didn't make fun of them at the time, but I used to really resent people with more seniority than me getting first choice for shifts and vacation days. They told me, wait until you have seniority, you won't be complaining then!

Well now I have 35 years, double what my 3 coworkers have put together. Do I take every scheduling and shift-choice advantage that goes with my seniority? You bet I do.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:59 AM

I used to look down my nose at middle-aged ladies who'd "given up" and gotten frumpy. Now that I am a middle-aged lady, I realize that they haven't given up, they've wised up and realized that they're free from the patriarchal bullspit of primping and preening and wearing uncomfortable things. Now I feel sorry for the women who still drink the kool-aid.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

People who get up at the same time on the weekends as they do for the work week. Why would you want to do that?!

Now that I have my CPAP and have my sleeping under control, I'm actually kinda stoked to get up and stay up on weekend mornings. So much more time to do stuff or not do stuff!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM
born to be shunned

Mostly bald although I actually always hoped I would end up that way. My hair was really thick, curly and took a ton of care (especially with motorcycle helmets) but picking on "chrome-domes" was just so easy. And since every man in my blood-line going back four generations took a full head of hair to the grave I would have bet it wasn't going to be my problem. When my doctor told me the one medicine would probably cause significant hair loss I could have kissed her.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM

was when I was young I thought Jazz was boring and something that only old people would listen to.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
was when I was young I thought Jazz was boring and something that only old people would listen to.
Boy, were you wrong about that.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Whenever I watched TV with my mom she’d spend the whole show saying “who’s that actresses? Wasn’t she in [some obscure tv show]. And him- he was in that movie we liked” etc. I’d be exasperated with her the whole time

Yup.

That’s me now.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
Whenever I watched TV with my mom she’d spend the whole show saying “who’s that actresses? Wasn’t she in [some obscure tv show]. And him- he was in that movie we liked” etc. I’d be exasperated with her the whole time

Yup.

That’s me now.
IMDB is your friend.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Modern View Post
IMDB is your friend.

Not really!

At least with mom if we couldn’t recall the movie or show, the conversation ended there. Now we can debate, pull out our phones and go to IMDB, read their filmography, discuss every movie they’ve done that we liked/disliked/never saw etc. All while “watching” a show together.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Obviously pretty old. While seat belts may have been standard on some cars by 1958, my family weren't buying new cars off the show room floor.

So, we continued driving around in the pre 1958 beaters.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM

People that listened to talk radio in the car. How boring. I do that now, except it's mostly podcast (same diff).
Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM

I'm a reformed running snob. In that, if someone was ambulating for exercise and wasn't running, I assumed they weren't working as hard as I was. Because I was a runner, dammit. And I'd run 3 marathons and that was somehow better. Fast forward to age 42. If I get out for a 30 minute walk I feel awesome about myself.

I used to roll my eyes when my mom would tell me, "Overly, I'm done making decisions for the day. Please, go find something to do that doesn't involve me doing something or telling you what you can or can't do." Now I have my own kids and holy crap can they talk. And talk. And talk. And ask so many damn questions that equate to me having to do something or plan something I just can't sometimes. So sometimes I find myself saying, "Babes, let's take a breath and let me just be, ok?"

I also used to think that getting fat was some type of moral failure. I didn't make fun of fat people (that would make me an overt asshole, not just a closet asshole), but I did think that fat people just crammed cheeseburgers down their throats until they were ready to explode. Then I had children. And stopped running marathons because that hurt when I was pregnant. I wouldn't classify myself as morbidly obese, but I could stand to lose a good 40 pounds. It just crept up on me. Five pounds here. Seven pounds there. Oh, just a little baby weight. That'll come right off. Ahem. And weight loss after kids is hard as hell - it takes constant vigilance, endless patience and a hell of a lot more self compassion than I had before. And it doesn't help that you have to do it for the right reasons. At 42 I'm not so much worried about looking good in my mom swimsuit; not dying early and not feeling like shit are far better motivators now.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm sort of a reverse in that I judge joggers more harshly if they are going faster than me since I'm thinking they probably aren't going as far as me, whereas I'll respect people who are just shuffling along, assuming that they are also running a long distance. I don't judge all-out sprinters or walkers at all though
Old 08-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

As a teen in the eighties, I got mad at my grandma one time for "pretending" she didn't know who Madonna was.

Now I'm 48, and have only the vaguest idea who Beyonce is. I'm sure there are some other famous musicians and I don't know who they are either.

Demi Lovato? She took some drugs, right?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM

I'm a redhead. When I was young and all natural, I'd occasionally spy that older woman with her bright, obvious dye job and sadly shake my head. Not I, would come the unbidden thought. When I'm too old to be a natural redhead, I'll take it gracefully.

I found my first grey hair when I was 27.

Now I'm the older woman with her (hopefully not too bright) obvious dye job. If you're lucky, you'll catch me wearing a slash of too-red lipstick to complete the Mutton-Trying-To-Pass-For-Lamb look, and you can quietly tsk-tsk-tsk-how-sad under your breath.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
All while “watching” a show together.
I usually save the discussions until after the movie ended. Nothing worse than talking during a movie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Now I'm 48, and have only the vaguest idea who Beyonce is.
She's released some interesting music but nothing to write home about. Many people, including young adults, worship her. I would be interested in seeing her live. From watching YouTube videos of her performances, she puts on a hell of a show.

Quote:
Demi Lovato? She took some drugs, right?[
Resident young person here: Yes, she overdosed on drugs and had to be hospitalized. She is fine now.