Old 08-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Hello! I am new here and was wondering if avatars are disabled on this site? I saw in the CP the option to see other people's avatars, but I'm not seeing any in threads nor the ability to upload my own.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:31 AM

No avatars here. Someone with more info will chime in to explain why.
Welcome.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Thank you. I figured that was the case and wanted to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Avatars are currently disabled as many folks around here consider avatars to be an annoyance. Some people like them though, and someone at one point made a greasemonkey script that would allow them to be displayed.

I don't have a link for the script, but if you want to go that route, a google search should find it easily enough.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Since most people can't see them, I assume most people haven't selected an avatar for themselves. So I don't see what good a script would do....

I'll chime in as liking avatar. I find they make it easier for me to follow conversations, because I can "see" the people speaking. Maybe it's relevant that I'm a little dyslexic.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:32 PM

Here's a link to a thread about the greasemonkey script that allows avatars https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=626125
Old 08-05-2018, 06:26 PM

I had the greasemonkey script for awhile, but it stopped working. Look in the thread about improving the board and chime in. There are several requests for avatars, and it would help to get some newbie imput that and other ideas.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:43 PM

So is the avatar the same as the profile photo? Or is it something else? In anticipation of possible future changes I uploaded an image in my "profile photo" in case that is the right place for it.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 PM

I am ok with it. It might be fun.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I am ok with it. It might be fun.
Sure. I know you even have a special avatar put away already.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
So is the avatar the same as the profile photo? Or is it something else? In anticipation of possible future changes I uploaded an image in my "profile photo" in case that is the right place for it.
AIUI, the profile photo is what is seen when people visit your profile page. And your avatar is the picture they'll see next to your name in every post you make.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Sure. I know you even have a special avatar put away already.
Why, yes, yes I do.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the responses, y'all. Avatars are a staple in the other forums I frequent, and I wondered where the options was here. It's all good if the admins disabled it but would be happy to see it implemented in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Here's a link to a thread about the greasemonkey script that allows avatars https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=626125
Thanks for the link. I installed it, but no luck getting it to work, unfortunately.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
If you haven't already, go register an account at the Giraffe board, enable avatars and go look around. That's what a vBulletin board looks like with avatars enabled. We pick our own and can change them any time we like. While you're at it, look at the bottom of each page and notice how many differents skins there are. I like "Osteoblast," myself. If you really like a specific one you can set that preference in your User CP and your logged in view of the board will always appear in that skin. As you will quickly discover, the avatars make it easy to spot who's who and help associate a personality to the username. We also have full access to changing our user titles as well.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:34 PM

That sounds like anarchy.

Where are the million rules and the posting police?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

You can add your own tag lines too. It's total anarchy over there.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 PM

We tried to get those set up but were distracted by the ability to post YouTube videos in posts so we got sidetracked by cute bebeh goat videos and cool music.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Modern View Post
Thanks for the responses, y'all. Avatars are a staple in the other forums I frequent, and I wondered where the options was here. It's all good if the admins disabled it but would be happy to see it implemented in the future
We've brought them up with the administrator, TubaDiva. No indication if she's considering them, just something that's been brought up as a suggestion.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post

Fenris will arbitrarily and capriciously box you for a period of up to an hour.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:29 AM

Phfew, well, at least thank goodness for that.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:55 AM

Moderator Note

Let's not have any further discussion of Giraffeboards here. The purpose of the SDMB is not to provide free advertising for other message boards.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 AM

Held within reason, avatars can help identify posters (anyone else constantly get silenius and septimus mixed up at a glance? Probably just me) and show off a little personality. Personally, my expectation of the maturity of this forum is that we could definitely do avatars without them being horribly awful. Maybe keep it to 100x100px?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

My line would be no animation. I actively avoid fora that have animated avatars. I'd have to turn off avatars entirely if those were allowed.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Addendum: No anime avatars.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

No animal avatars??
Old 08-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

Let's not have any further discussion of Giraffeboards here. The purpose of the SDMB is not to provide free advertising for other message boards.
Does this apply only to Gira**e or are mentions of places like Re**it, Faceb**k, etc., also now disallowed?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
Does this apply only to Gira**e or are mentions of places like Re**it, Faceb**k, etc., also now disallowed?
Good question. I'd also be curious to hear the answer.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Held within reason, avatars can help identify posters (anyone else constantly get silenius and septimus mixed up at a glance? Probably just me) and show off a little personality. Personally, my expectation of the maturity of this forum is that we could definitely do avatars without them being horribly awful. Maybe keep it to 100x100px?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
My line would be no animation. I actively avoid fora that have animated avatars. I'd have to turn off avatars entirely if those were allowed.
That seems to be the standard on most boards I visit, actually.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
And whatever Steam is. People here are always promoting that place.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
And whatever Steam is.
Steam is a platform, mostly for PC, people use to download and play games. Steam has active discussion and game modding communities.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I get asterion and astorian confused. Luckily, one of them has some text under his/her name (winner of something?) and the other doesn't.

Please, no avatars. I love the clean look of this place. "Hey, you could always turn them off in your preferences." Sure, but I almost never view this page logged in -- I log in to post and then log out, usually. I don't like the way it keeps track of your unread posts when you're logged in.

So, once again, please, no avatars.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Once again, for those in the oblivious seats: AVATARS CAN BE ENABLED AND DISABLED AT THE USER'S PREFERENCE THROUGH THE USER CP. IF YOU DON'T LIKE AVATARS, YOU CAN TURN THEM THE FUCK OFF AND HAVE THE UNSPOILED EXPERIENCE YOU PREFER, WHILE OTHERS CAN SEE THEM OR NOT AS THEY PREFER. There is nothing so irritating as someone who insists that EVERYONE be restricted by their own preferences. Learn to cope with other people having a different preference, it's not difficult.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
AIUI, the profile photo is what is seen when people visit your profile page. And your avatar is the picture they'll see next to your name in every post you make.
So my question was, even though we don't allow avatars here (yet), is there a place to load one in advance? Or is that also shut off?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, funny. I guess I need to spell it out that if you need to discuss something pertaining to the rules, you can actually use the real words.

Promotion of other web sites is only allowed here with moderator approval. That applies to Giraffe and any other message board or web site. That's not a new rule.

While other sites can be mentioned, especially to show examples of things, SmartAleq's post goes way too far and comes off as an actual advertisement. SmartAleq did not post "look here for an example of avatars" and instead posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
If you haven't already, go register an account at the Giraffe board
These comments (and a couple of others that I didn't quote) boil down to basically bitching about our rules here and the way we moderate our board, which is far outside of the scope of a thread that is only about avatars:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You can add your own tag lines too. It's total anarchy over there.
Quote:
Fenris will arbitrarily and capriciously box you for a period of up to an hour.
I have never known a Facebook or Reddit mention to drag an ATMB thread completely off-topic like the mention of Giraffeboards here can, so at the moment I don't see where any restriction on any other site is necessary. But again, promotion of any other site, Giraffe or otherwise, needs moderator approval.

This is a thread about avatars. Discussion of the way that Giraffeboards is run and how some feel the entire rule system of the SDMB should be changed is way off topic.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Steam is a platform, mostly for PC, people use to download and play games. Steam has active discussion and game modding communities.
Discussions of Steam and other game-related web sites are often permitted in the Game Room, but would be considered spam or promotion of an off-board site in other forums. This is to facilitate the discussion of games and gaming sites, which is part of the purpose of the Game Room.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
We've brought them up with the administrator, TubaDiva. No indication if she's considering them, just something that's been brought up as a suggestion.
FYI, we are currently discussing this in the mod loop. It is being considered.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
FYI, we are currently discussing this in the mod loop. It is being considered.
If you do add them, could the default be not to show them? So, when someone visits without logging in, they wouldn't see them? That is, make it opt-in, not opt-out.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
... "Hey, you could always turn them off in your preferences." Sure, but I almost never view this page logged in -- I log in to post and then log out, usually. I don't like the way it keeps track of your unread posts when you're logged in.
I wonder if the default (which would include those not logged in) could be set to "off".

I really find avatars make boards easier to read. I've never understood why people are so opposed. De gustibus and all that.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
If you do add them, could the default be not to show them? So, when someone visits without logging in, they wouldn't see them? That is, make it opt-in, not opt-out.
I think we are all in agreement that it would be opt-in, not opt-out. The default would be to not show avatars.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 PM

Excellent! Thanks.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:19 PM

I'm not in agreement. And it doesn't make sense either, to have them off by default means they'll never get set by most users, so you might as well not bother. I find avatars make a thread MUCH easier to follow. So if we enable them, the default must be to show them, otherwise there really is no point.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
I find avatars make a thread MUCH easier to follow.
I have mixed feelings about this. I find that, without avatars, it's easier to focus on what's being said without thinking about who's saying it, which can make it less likely that I'll unfairly dismiss something (or fairly dismiss something, either).
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 PM

That's true. But then you could switch them off.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. I find that, without avatars, it's easier to focus on what's being said without thinking about who's saying it, which can make it less likely that I'll unfairly dismiss something (or fairly dismiss something, either).
Are you saying that you don't trust yourself to read something before deciding whether it's worthwhile?

For what it's worth, I already routinely skip by anything by a few well-known troll posters because I already know by experience that it's a waste of time. Avatars might make that easier, I don't know. That's in addition to a couple of posters that I have on Ignore. Everyone else (and I do notice poster names much more than I used to) gets either a reading or a decision that I'm not interested in the thread after all. I don't see any real problem with static avatars at all (no animation please!). I already have mine picked out.

This discussion makes me wonder how the mod loop is going to make this decision. I don't really know why the board had this rule in the first place, it seemed more inspired by fear and loathing than anything rational.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Good lord. Who'd have thought there'd be so much controversy and worry over such a thing as avatars? I'm gussing it'll be much ado about nothing, just like the twitter and facebook links were, editing posts, google searches, etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:19 PM

If you want this place to look less stark and old fashioned so as to attract new users, setting it as off as default is pretty darn silly. Hard to believe, really.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
If you want this place to look less stark and old fashioned so as to attract new users, setting it as off as default is pretty darn silly. Hard to believe, really.
Well, try it that way for awhile and see what happens, maybe? Then if people realize it's not as bad as they thought, THEN go for opt out. Or vice versa.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Good lord. Who'd have thought there'd be so much controversy and worry over such a thing as avatars?
There is only so much time in the day and we (as a society) are still trying to get higher priority items figured out, like self driving cars and nuclear fusion. Once we're pretty sure we have a handle on those two things, then we can turn our attention to avatars, but until then we need to stay focused.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So, once again, please, no avatars.
Avatars, even when enabled can be turned off for any individual by the individual. In fact, that can probably be the default so people would have to turn them on. So you can continue in peaceful bliss not seeing avatars and those that like them can see them.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Addendum: No anime avatars.
Addendum: ONLY anime avatars.