Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Signs of getting older

I'm 32, and noticing some of my first crow's feet around my eyes.

My digestive system also seems to be aging like hell. In my teens and 20s, I could eat almost anything, and felt alright.

I'll eat dinner now, and I'll end up so heavy and full that I have to crash on the sofa and unbutton my jeans.

Anyone else feeling like an old man or lady these days?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM

I still feel *mostly* like I did when I was in my 20s, though at 42, I have noticed that all my vices are slowly being stripped away. I used to be able to eat queso by the bucket load. Now it tears apart my insides. And ice cream used to be eaten by the pint. Now I have to be careful or I'm wandering around in a sugar fog. I used to be able to drink wine, but apparently I've developed an allergy to tannins and get stuffy every time I drink my favorite red.

Oh, and sleep! I used to sleep until noon with no consequences. But if I sleep past 7:30 or 8 now, I get sleep hangover and feel weird and gross the rest of the day. I've turned into the person who has to eat by 7 and go to bed by 10:30 or it throws my entire next day out of whack.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 PM

Two words: reading glasses.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:38 PM

Two more words: memory lo... something something.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Never trust a fart.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Bifocals.

Arthritis.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
Two words: reading glasses.
Reading glasses, small magnification of distance added to multifocals, higher magnifications added, higher magnifications added.

Can't see without glasses.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Never trust a fart.
Yep. When you cannot trust a fart, it's over, man.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Pain in places I never knew existed. Stiff mornings.If I get any injury it takes four times as long to heal.
. I am seriously accident prone so basically I am walking around waiting the next for boo-boo to occur.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Trifocals
Persistent back pain
A suddenly sensitive stomach that was not like that before
As Beckdawrek noted, a long time to recover from injury...

And to allude to another thread, people are always surprised when I tell them how old I am, I've always looked younger than I am (I got carded into my 30's), I tell them, I may not look it, but I sure as hell feel it...
Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Checking in from the Geezer Department:

I pretty much had 60 years of great health. Had a hernia repair in my mid-30s but that was about it.

I'll be 68 in two weeks and had the lower four vertebrae in my neck fused in 2011, made it through (so far) prostate cancer in 2012, had a double hernia fixed in 2013, and now one side has popped again -- will be getting that fixed before winter.

I had a severe (scary) attack (followed shortly by two more) of what turned out to be diverticulitis in 2015, but I've pretty much been able to dodge any more problems since then.

I've had chronic insomnia for 30 or so years, have been on 'script sleeping pills for 14 years but they're not that effective anymore, so I'm doing other things to address the problem.

And of course the usual things from getting old: Twinges here and there of arthritis, memory problems, and I've had high blood pressure for the past ten years or so.

But I'm still running my business full-time, I walk 2.5 miles every other day, am trim and I feel good, all things considered.

My 50th year class reunion is next month. I've never gone to any previous ones and don't plan to do this one either, but I may go to the "social" at a bar the night before. A classmate contacted me last week about all this, and through him I found out that my best buddy in high school died in 2002. We remained friends for several years after school, last time I saw him was in 1975.

Oh well, time flies.

"When you have your health, you have everything."
Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

It was bad enough when high school girls started calling me "sir". Now MDs are starting to do it.

My doctor retired. His replacement was younger than me. That took some getting used to.

The replacement left. His replacement looks like she just got out of high school. And she calls me "sir".
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
It was bad enough when high school girls started calling me "sir". Now MDs are starting to do it.

My doctor retired. His replacement was younger than me. That took some getting used to.

The replacement left. His replacement looks like she just got out of high school. And she calls me "sir".
Most of my lunch friends are in their 70s, 80s, and even my neighbor who is 90. He's lost a lot of mobility but no senility there, believe it or not.

Nearly everywhere else I go, everybody looks "young." My doctor is my nephew's age, and my sister will be a great-grandmother around the end of this month.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
It was bad enough when high school girls started calling me "sir".
At some point in time, I became "Mrs" despite not being married. Older people are apparently married.....
Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 PM

I tend to ignore all those symptoms mentioned up-thread.

I just ain't buying into the idea of getting older.

And I believe it is working.

Of course, now, I can't out run the police. Which I miss.

So, I try not to piss them off.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Surprisingly few things for a dude in his fifties:

I finally ended up getting those magnetic reading glasses (these guys) because I got tired of leaving ten different pairs around the house.

For the past few months my knees have been bothering me quite a bit on the turns at the gym. That's definitely a new thing, and I'm going to stick to straight-ahead running on the treadmill for a while to see if it settles.

There has been an uptick in migraines. From once every season to once a week or so. They aren't very painful though, so I would prefer these lightweight ones every week to the total butt-kickers I had seasonally.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 PM

My erections are not as hard as they once were and the amount of ejaculate I produce is less.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Difficulty sitting down.

Difficulty getting up.

Remembering why you are doing either.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Can't go down a set of steps without a railing.
Hard to get out of a chair.
Go the bathroom at least once during the night and sometimes not getting back to sleep.
Everything takes longer to heal. I banged up my knee about 8 weeks ago and it still hurts.
Two of my three children in their fifties.
Can't take air conditioning set at 72 (I am visiting my son).
Take 5 pills every morning and 3 every evening.
Friends dying.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Can't go down a set of steps without a railing.
Hard to get out of a chair.
Go the bathroom at least once during the night and sometimes not getting back to sleep.
Everything takes longer to heal. I banged up my knee about 8 weeks ago and it still hurts.
Two of my three children in their fifties.
Can't take air conditioning set at 72 (I am visiting my son).
Take 5 pills every morning and 3 every evening.
Friends dying.
"Friends dying."

Yes, I forgot about that. That's a tough one to handle.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Choosing the "comfortable" option.
A bunch of us were planning on going camping last month. As the date got closer, the forecasts all said hot, sticky and a thunderstorm. We decided that camping wasn't worth the discomfort. So we went for BBQ and a winery visit instead. When we were 20, we would have all gone camping any way.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 PM

When I was 18, I ran a 50.1 second quarter mile in High School.

On almost every birthday since, I've found a running track and ran a quarter mile to see how much I was slowing down. (I've continued to run my whole life.)

I'm 65 now and the best I could do was a 77 second quarter mile a few months back, so I've lost about 27 seconds. Getting older sucks!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 PM

I saw my best friend from highschool recently. Boy she looked old. I went home and looked at myself. I deduced i looked 10 times better. Then I bent down to flip my long lovely blond ( tiny bit of grey) hair and pulled my effing neck. It still hurts. I gotta go to the chiropractor. It's funny how my week moves around doctor appointments and picking up prescriptions. Ugh.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 08-06-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Get off my lawn!!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:55 AM

70 now, starting in my middle 40's loss of jumping ability and the ability to make sudden stops and turns as we do in sports started to become very noticeable. I still had good running speed up into my late 50's but not much control other than straight. After I retired at 63 my strength started plummeting. My significant other recently passed away and my sex drive has gone to zero, I don't feel like it is going to come back this time. I have no interest at all in sex. Eating habits started changing in my 40's smaller portions, they seemed to have leveled off pretty quick though. The mental part is what bothers me most, this started in my early 60's. I have trouble recalling words when I write that I don't use in my everyday vocabulary. A lot of them are very common words so it has made writing frustrating. I still don't wear bi focal s unless I am doing very fine work but I can tell I am getting very close to start using them more.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

On almost every birthday since, I've found a running track and ran a quarter mile to see how much I was slowing down. (I've continued to run my whole life.)

I'm 65 now and the best I could do was a 77 second quarter mile a few months back, so I've lost about 27 seconds. Getting older sucks!
Could you post a record of your speeds over the years if you kept one. Maybe once every 5 years would be good. I was a track runner also but I don't remember my times in that race. 50 seems like good time. I think I was like 1:24 in the 660 which is a bit slower than yours and it was pretty good. Short dashes were my specialty.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post

That's impressive. My 400m time in high school was 1:05. I probably couldn't do it now unless I had a car. 1:17 at age 65 is very impressive.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 AM

All the kids prefer Snapchat and Instagram DMs to communicate with people. What happened to good ole text messages?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 AM

I'm 73 and nothing has changed. I can drink all day and have sex all night. I just ran a 20k marathon competing with teens last week and came in 1st place. I experience no health problems whatsoever and I haven't aged a day if the past 50 years. My only issue is, I now lie about everything.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifethroughchemistry View Post
And to allude to another thread, people are always surprised when I tell them how old I am, I've always looked younger than I am (I got carded into my 30's), I tell them, I may not look it, but I sure as hell feel it...
Yep, I tell folks I may not look my age but I sure as heck feel it. And when I first get up in the morning I move like I'm older until my joints loosen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Friends dying.
... and family.

This past year I have made an effort to get out and meet new people. I do have more friends now, but I miss having a multi-decade history with folks, I guess I just have to wait a few years to acquire that with my new friends.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
... and family.
also, pets. I've now had quite a lot of pets and have outlived several who lived long lives for their species.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:32 AM

I'm 72, and recovering from knee replacement surgery. And soon I'll be getting a spinal stimulator for the pain caused by spinal stenosis. I take a handful of pills every day, just to stay alive.

But the one thing keeping me alive and young is my husband, who's 52.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 AM

Bifocals.

And I'm in the Dead Parents Society. Yup, both my parents are dead. Now, I was younger than a lot of people when I lost them-- 30 when I lost my father and 50 when I lost my mother. I have a co-worker who is 10 years older than I am who has both parents living.

Still, it does make you feel old. And aware of your mortality.

I was getting the bad back and the stiff knees, but a PT actually helped with a lot of it. My back is perfect know, and my knees are almost perfect. I recently lost 10lbs., and that has helped too. I actually feel better physically right now at 51 than I did five years ago. 5 years ago, I thought age was really settling into my body, but then I decided I wanted to feel better, and now I do.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

As far as I know, my mom and 2 or 3 of her cousins are the last of that generation alive. All of my aunts and uncles are gone. My generation is next, and I've already lost one cousin, tho she had health problems for a lot of years. My oldest cousin just turned 75, and the youngest is nearly 50.

For me, the aches are the worst part of being older - I'm dealing with some weird pains around one knee - muscular, not skeletal. Having trifocals is pretty bad, too, when I'm trying to look at something that's in an odd place - like reading a label on the back of a computer that I can't turn to face me. And we'll not mention memory.

On the other hand, I'm not going gray yet - I got Dad's genes and he was barely gray when he died. The hair may be thinning, but it's still brown. And my teeth are all my own, as are my hips. All in all, it could be worse.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 AM

Not only are my parents dead, but they were each only children. I have two younger siblings, but I'm the oldest. I have zero living relatives older than me!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
I'm 73 and nothing has changed. I can drink all day and have sex all night. I just ran a 20k marathon competing with teens last week and came in 1st place. I experience no health problems whatsoever and I haven't aged a day if the past 50 years. My only issue is, I now lie about everything.
Dereknocue67 takes care of his body above all else. Diet, exercise, supplements, positive thinking. Scientists believe that the first human being who will live 150 years has already been born. Dereknocue67 is that human being.

Last edited by Panther Modern; 08-07-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 AM

My report card at age 64:

* Can still climb trees to some extent, but it doesn't feel natural anymore.
* Can't swim very far.
* Tent camping is right out: even with a pad or air mattress underneath me, sleeping on the ground just doesn't work for me anymore.

The first two are mostly because I didn't swim or climb trees for a long time, though. And it's not like I'm going to want to do much of either one in the future, so no point in working on it.

On the whole, this body of mine keeps on cruising along. When people say, "getting old is a bitch," my response is always, "that's why I refuse to have anything to do with it." And for the most part, I've managed.

ETA: It amuses me that people are listing bifocals as a sign of age. I've been wearing bifocals since I was 7.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 08-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 AM

More things I do these days have sound effects.
Getting out of bed requires grunting and groaning.
Standing up and walking now comes with joints that snap, crackle and pops.
Eating a meal has stomach grumblings after.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:36 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Bifocals.
This. And having people of what I consider adult age calling me "sir". Both of those started 25 years ago for me.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
I haven't aged a day if the past 50 years. My only issue is, I now lie about everything.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Pain in places I never knew existed. Stiff mornings.If I get any injury it takes four times as long to heal.
. I am seriously accident prone so basically I am walking around waiting the next for boo-boo to occur.
Pretty much this. Something always hurts somewhere. I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies when I get out of bed in the morning.

That and bifocals but I've had those for about five years now... I just turned 43.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Mr.Wrekker is a good bit older than me. He doesn't even try and he's healthy as a horse. He's very active outdoorsman. He's retired and loving it. He's booked til next year sometime with hunting and fishing activities. He left me in the dust years ago. I marvel at the crap he does. I am happy to get out of the bed and sit in a chair some days.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I had my annual kids party this weekend and rented this gigantic blow-up slip-n-slide for the kids. It was so gigantic that it could easily support my fat ass, so I went on it along with my BFF from high school. We're both 39. It was super fun! We went at least a dozen times! Didn't hurt one bit - it was just sliding down a wet cushion of air.

Ooooooh, but the next morning... man, that has never happened to me before. My upper body hurt so bad. The impact, maybe? Didn't notice an impact at the time but something was working my chest and shoulder muscles and ligaments. Still hurts, 4 days later! (Same for my friend)

Oh also I was totally willing to pay $300 for the set-up and tear-down of this thing at my house instead of spending the time and effort to come up with a fun thing for the kids to do at my party. When you're willing and able to spend a ton of money to avoid effort - that's getting old too.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM

It's the soreness after strenuous activity. Used to be I could play basketball all day Saturday and do it again on Sunday if I wanted. Now I can still play for a few hours, but when I do the next day sucks. Back, neck, shoulders, knees, feet, you name it. They all hurt.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Sitting down to watch tv - waking up just in time for the end credits.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm 39.

1. Getting up from being low on the ground, or vice versa.
Say I'm sat on the ground with my legs crossed fixing some appliance or something for just 20 mins. When it's time to stand up again I have to somewhat psyche myself into it and then get up in a couple of stages.

2. Generally I've started to be more careful with my movements; if I were to just throw my limbs around randomly now I'd probably get some muscle spasm or cramp or just some random ache. I used to go out on long runs, or workout, without even bothering to stretch before or after -- those days are gone; if I did that now I'd be asking for trouble.

3. Clicking joints. For me, it's my big toes and one elbow. They click frequently and noisily.

Last edited by Mijin; 08-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Reading glasses
Grey hairs

Other than that I don't feel too different.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:31 PM

I'm a 46 year old black man, and still feel like I did 20 years ago, but have strong signs that I'm getting older.

The biggest one is that about 70 percent of my hair is white now overall. My beard is about 90 percent white. I hate it and I'm not sure why this happened to me. My father is 69, my brother is 49 and neither one of them have this problem. This board won't believe it, but hair is a big thing. Goes with out saying that I also have male pattern baldness.

I had to start wearing bifocals at 40, despite never needing glasses before. Doctor said it was normal for my age., the eye changes he said. Sucks, but I can deal with this.

I'm 6'-01" tall and used to weigh between 170 and 180 pounds. Now I'm up to 190, and that extra 10 to 20 pounds really shows now. In my face of course.

This is just one of my rant's. I'm actually thankful that I'm in this condition, but thinking how I can improve.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
Could you post a record of your speeds over the years if you kept one. Maybe once every 5 years would be good. I was a track runner also but I don't remember my times in that race. 50 seems like good time. I think I was like 1:24 in the 660 which is a bit slower than yours and it was pretty good. Short dashes were my specialty.
I remember I could still run under 60 seconds into my late 20's. Late 40's is when I started to run over 70 seconds. At age 61, I ran an 81 and the next year, I ran an 82 (my worst ever), but the last 3 years have all been around 77 or 78.

I don'r really train for the quarter mile at all. I just run it on my birthday for old times sake. For the last number of years, I've been running on a treadmill starting with a 5 minute warm up at 5 mph at 2% incline. From there I do 4 minutes intervals at 7, 8, 9 and 10% with 2 minute breaks in between at 3% again all at 5 mph. 3 days a week. Keeps my resting pulse at around 54.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by split p&j View Post
my hair is white now overall.
Like a young Morgan Freeman? I love that white-haired look.

I suppose I have an advantage over those of you with dark hair. My hair is blondish (once was blonde)/mouse/grey anyway. I could have "old age grey" in there, I don't know If you have dark hair you could see each and every fading strand as it appears.

As for baldness, I have just 2 words to say. Sean. Connery. Old as the hills and bald as a badger. Still dishy.