Old 08-06-2018, 07:42 PM

Alex Jones gets cyber-slapped

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/06/appl...te-speech.html

Notice how Facebook only responded when trillion-dollar Apple showed some balls and removed Alex Jones. Facebook, YouTube (Alphabet/Google), and Twitter soon followed.

Hopefully this becomes a thing.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Hopefully this becomes a thing.
Just wait for the backlash. It's a conspiracy against the truth.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 PM

The best thing that happened all day. But will it ruin him? I'm hoping he gets Glenn Beck'ed
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Oh you KNOW it's coming!

And I almost want to stay up until 3 a.m. to wait for 45's fat fingers to unleash those demons and watch it in real time.

But seriously, I looked for Infowars on YouTube and couldn't find anything. Maybe it's the start of something good.

Last edited by asahi; 08-06-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 PM

So I have already seen at least one pre-packaged shared image on Facebook:

"Soon it will only be the news the Left supports" was the comment from the person sharing.

And linked this article from Gateway Pundit:

ARE TECH GIANTS WORKING TOGETHER TO CENSOR CONSERVATIVES? — Apple, YouTube and Facebook BAN Infowars on Same Day

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...s-on-same-day/
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Oh you KNOW it's coming!

And I almost want to stay up until 3 a.m. to wait for 45's fat fingers to unleash those demons and watch it in real time.

But seriously, I looked for Infowars on YouTube and couldn't find anything. Maybe it's the start of something good.
Something along the lines of:

"I, @realDonaldTrump, hereby announce that I am appointing Alex Jones as my Minister of Truth Alex tells it like it is and Crooked Hilary can't stand it. FAKE NEWS CNN and New York Times are failing and FAKE!!!! LeBron James and Don Lemon is stupid!!!!! Only listen to me and Alex WE TELL THE REAL TRUTH!!!!!!!!! NO FAKE NEWS!!!!! Cant silence REAL AMERICANS!!!!! My son is amazing!!!"
Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Trump going to tweet about this? I'm wondering more from the perspective of him having not distanced himself and going so far as to have befriended Jones, as opposed to any principle. We know, we know, this is "totally unfair". Before 2016 I think any viable major party presidential candidate would have distanced themselves from someone like Jones given the level of popularity and relevance of speech possibly inciting havoc and harassment.

The sad truth is the argument for Jones being restricted from these platforms was practically as robust a few years ago as it is today.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM

https://www.theonion.com/first-amend...ars-1828142660

Poor poor awful Alex Jones.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Tell folks who complain about "censorship of conservatives" that it isn't about the content, it's about the style. You can be a conservative, but you don't have to be a dick about it. Admittedly this is becoming somewhat of a measured distinction, but it is real one nonetheless.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Tell folks who complain about "censorship of conservatives" that it isn't about the content, it's about the style. You can be a conservative, but you don't have to be a dick about it. Admittedly this is becoming somewhat of a measured distinction, but it is real one nonetheless.
From the article linked to in the OP:

"Apple does not tolerate hate speech, and we have clear guidelines that creators and developers must follow to ensure we provide a safe environment for all of our users," an Apple spokesperson said in a statement on Monday.

"Podcasts that violate these guidelines are removed from our directory making them no longer searchable or available for download or streaming. We believe in representing a wide range of views, so long as people are respectful to those with differing opinions.""

Indeed. Why should content providers tolerate any expressed views that are vehement, intemperate and rude?*

*outside of the Pit, that is.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Cue moronic right wingers: "Free Speech! Free Speech!"
Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Minor nitpick: According to the posting protocol of certified lunatics, "THE TRUTH" is always in all caps.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
“If we allow giant media platforms to single out individual users for harassing the families of murdered kindergarteners, it could lead to a nightmare scenario of measured and well-thought-out public discourse,”

(From my onion link, above)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Let's see if YouTube leaves up videos from this band The Alex Jones Prison Planet - Super Heavy Galactic Stuff. I bought all their stuff, of course; it's surreal.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
“If we allow giant media platforms to single out individual users for harassing the families of murdered kindergarteners, it could lead to a nightmare scenario of measured and well-thought-out public discourse,”

Which lead me to this story, which is hysterical.

https://www.theonion.com/facebook-an...-by-1823836038
Old 08-06-2018, 10:00 PM

Did he do something to inspire the bans above and beyond his everyday bullshit?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 PM

Points.

Laughs.

Alex Jones isn't worth any more of a reaction than that.

Well ok, I'll throw in a womp, womp.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:17 PM

He fairly recently was making noises about how Mueller should be shot, or something like that.

https://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-...erberg-1038500

Last edited by raventhief; 08-06-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

From the Gateway Pundit article Algher linked to:

Quote:
Wikipedia is controlled by far left editors who are regularly accused of liberal bias.
Aha! As one of the top 10,000 lefist demons, that explains the tingle of power I felt this afternoon while kayaking. Sort of like the opposite of a great disturbance in the Force.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algher View Post

"Soon it will only be the news the Left supports" was the comment from the person sharing.

ARE TECH GIANTS WORKING TOGETHER TO CENSOR CONSERVATIVES? — Apple, YouTube and Facebook BAN Infowars on Same Day

It's telling that they're not thinking, "Wow, what a loon, glad we're rid of him, he made us look bad."
Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Let's see if YouTube leaves up videos from this band The Alex Jones Prison Planet - Super Heavy Galactic Stuff. I bought all their stuff, of course; it's surreal.
So far, Indie Folk Alex Jones remains accessible.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beeb
Several right-wing commentators have, however, suggested the tech firms' ability to block a publisher posed a challenge to the US' free speech laws.
yeah, um, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid
In addition, Wikileaks referred to the move as being "San Francisco cultural imperialism".
Julian, fuck you right up the Assange.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Remember the snark about spammers' "Free Speach" (based on a misspelling in one spammer's self-justifying sigline that went viral)? Maybe we ought to dust that off for this situation, to go with "Freedumb Caucus", "Get A Brain Morans", etc.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
YouTube had him on restricted access (no Livestreams) after he called for someone to get shot. They closed his account yesterday because he livestreamed using another channel and they have clear rules in the terms of service about not doing that.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algher View Post

It's telling that they're not thinking, "Wow, what a loon, glad we're rid of him, he made us look bad."
It's telling that they're not thinking. There's no evidence that they can.

From the same site, "It makes you wonder if these tech giants are working together to throttle conservative content online? And who is behind the scene pulling the strings?"

Who's pulling the strings? Why, George Soros and Hillary Clinton, of course. They each have color-coded phones in their Information Control dungeon with direct lines to Apple, YouTube, and Facebook, and their word is an instant command. Hillary and Soros were especially worried that the 9/11 conspiracy and the Sandy Hook hoax were about to be exposed, so they put a stop to it. THE TRUTH must not be revealed. The annoying thing is that Hillary was cackling madly the whole time.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM

I thought Alex Jones was the guy from the A Scanner Darkly film. How is his content related to hate speech?
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I thought Alex Jones was the guy from the A Scanner Darkly film. How is his content related to hate speech?
Are you really that fucking stupid?
From the OP's link.
Quote:
The company said it made the decision after receiving additional complaints about inappropriate content on Jones' pages. The pages were removed "for glorifying violence, which violates our graphic violence policy, and using dehumanizing language to describe people who are transgender, Muslims and immigrants, which violates our hate speech policies." The decision was made independently of any other companies removing content from their sites, a Facebook spokesperson said.
Which barely scratches the surface of the vileness that is Alex Jones.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 AM

Right I understand the claim being made, I just haven’t seen the evidence of it. I’m not going to wade into his material, if it is even possible to at this point.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Also, in addition to what's already been said, he has both uttered and incited death threats, the most deplorable of which was the vicious claims that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a deliberate hoax, and inciting some of his like-minded followers to threaten the families who were already mourning the loss of their children.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:52 AM

Since many authoritarian governments have criminalized hate-speech, I feel it is probably in my best interest to understand what qualifies as hate speech to society. I thought I had a good grasp of what it was, but when gun-nut of Piers Morgan fame is accused of hate speech, I am not sure anymore.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Also, in addition to what's already been said, he has both uttered and incited death threats, the most deplorable of which was the vicious claims that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a deliberate hoax, and inciting some of his like-minded followers to threaten the families who were already mourning the loss of their children.
Yes I know about the sordid claims he has made about the shooting victims. The claims about inciting violence would have to be proved, though.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 08-07-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 AM

One article said he made a death threat against Mueller, and carefully quoted his video. I watched the short video they provided and did not hear a death threat. He said they were going to have some sort of political showdown and made a gun with his fingers and acted like he was a cowboy.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Yes I know about the sordid claims he has made about the shooting victims. The claims about inciting violence would have to be proved, though.
It would seem that they don't.
(Wait, do you mean proved to you? Nah, they still don't)

Last edited by bobot; 08-07-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 AM

Hehe
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM

I can't help but think this is exactly what Jones wants. Now he can legitimately boast how he's being censored and oppressed by leftist powers that don't want him spreading the (his) truth.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Idk I’m sure this is hurting his pockets pretty fiercely.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Since many authoritarian governments have criminalized hate-speech, I feel it is probably in my best interest to understand what qualifies as hate speech to society.
Really? My impression is that authoritarian regimes generally like to criminalize speech critical of the regime in order to secure their power, and peaceful democratic societies criminalize speech that directly incites violence against specific minority groups in order to protect the most vulnerable in society. Do the differences confuse you?
Quote:
Woman who threatened Sandy Hook parent arrested in Tampa

That's just one example. The courts seem to have established probable cause: "Before the arrest warrant was issued, Richards was free on $25,000 bond and barred from websites that push conspiracy theories."
Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
One article said he made a death threat against Mueller, and carefully quoted his video. I watched the short video they provided and did not hear a death threat. He said they were going to have some sort of political showdown and made a gun with his fingers and acted like he was a cowboy.
Regardless of whether or not you consider it a death threat, it's evident that his speech comes dangerously close to the incitement of political violence. Whether it crosses the line legally is not material; what's material is that it clearly violates the norms of public decency, and platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, and so on have a vested interest in ensuring that these platforms don't become a breeding ground for the incitement of behavior that can lead to harassment or injury.

Whether they apply that standard consistently might be a fairer question to ask, but I'll leave that for someone else. In any case, if the claim is that YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and others are applying these standards selectively, then they should make some effort to prove it by citing numerous valid examples, rather than just crying about censorship. There are plenty of other conservative voices with access to these same platforms so it shouldn't be too hard to make the case.

Last edited by asahi; 08-07-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Really? My impression is that authoritarian regimes generally like to criminalize speech critical of the regime in order to secure their power, and peaceful democratic societies criminalize speech that directly incites violence against specific minority groups in order to protect the most vulnerable in society. Do the differences confuse you?

Woman who threatened Sandy Hook parent arrested in Tampa

That's just one example. The courts seem to have established probable cause: "Before the arrest warrant was issued, Richards was free on $25,000 bond and barred from websites that push conspiracy theories."
Jones was charged with incitement?

Has Spotify taken down the White Album in response to the Manson murders?

Authoritarians come in different styles, does that confuse you?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not you consider it a death threat, it's evident that his speech comes dangerously close to the incitement of political violence. Whether it crosses the line legally is not material; what's material is that it clearly violates the norms of public decency, and platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, and so on have a vested interest in ensuring that these platforms don't become a breeding ground for the incitement of behavior that can lead to harassment or injury.

Whether they apply that standard consistently might be a fairer question to ask, but I'll leave that for someone else. In any case, if the claim is that YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and others are applying these standards selectively, then they should make some effort to prove it by citing numerous valid examples, rather than just crying about censorship. There are plenty of other conservative voices with access to these same platforms so it shouldn't be too hard to make the case.
Right, I’m mostly concerned about the claims of “hate speech”. Any proof?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 AM

First they came for Alex Jones, and I did nothing, because I wasn't, like, literally the fucking worst.

(And yeah, "First they came for Alex Jones" is the title of Sargon of Akkad's latest video. You couldn't pay me to watch that shit.)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

WillFarnaby, why this opposition to the free market?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
WillFarnaby, why this opposition to the free market?
What have I said that is anti-free-market?

Can I criticize a restaurant for poor service?

I’m concerned with society labeling speech as hate speech. This could have negative implications considering many western authoritarian regimes have criminalized hate speech.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Quote:

Really minor nitpick and I know you're quoting the article from The Onion, but the murdered children were in first grade, not kindergarten.

And anyone who doubts the vile nature of Alex Jones' coverage of the Sandy Hook school shooting should read this article. It describes how the parents of one of the murdered children have received so many death threats and harassment that they have been forced to move seven times and now live in "a high-security community hundreds of miles from where their 6-year-old is buried." Every time they've moved, the assholes who deny the reality of the situation find out where they live and publish the address online.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM

WillFarnaby, can you name one modern regime for us that isn't authoritarian? (Failing that, I'll also take one regime in history.)

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 08-07-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:57 AM

No cite, but I recall seeing a story that pornhub had also kicked AJ off its site. Apparently his videos had a presence there. How much lower is there to go after a) being on a porn site, and b) getting kicked off for being too disgusting? Next, 4chan will bounce him.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:59 AM

I’m sorry to hear that. Did these folks happen to be the folks who chose to become politically active after the shooting?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
WillFarnaby, can you name one modern regime for us that isn't authoritarian? (Failing that, I'll also take one regime in history.)
I heard Chile is nice, but I haven’t looked into it too much. Depending on your desired lifestyle you could live a relatively free life in most areas of the planet, I’d like to keep it like that and perhaps open up new areas and provide safe havens for more lifestyles.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 08-07-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m sorry to hear that. Did these folks happen to be the folks who chose to become politically active after the shooting?
Assuming that's a reply to my post, I don't know if they "happen to be the folks who chose to become politically active after the shooting" (and keep in mind that more than one murdered child's parents chose to get involved in gun control or other political issues). But why should it matter? Does becoming politically active justify death threats and harassment?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM

Of course not, but I would advise against becoming politically active at that level, especially when wounds can be reopened by any of these nuts out here.