Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Changes in subscription pricing here at The Straight Dope

We have had the same rates for a very long time. After consultation with the moderators I have decided it's time for some changes.

Here's the new price structure:

Regular Membership: WAS $14.95 yr/$29/95 2 years NOW $20 1 yr/$35 2 years

Charter Membership: WAS $7.48yr/$14.95 2 years NOW $10 yr/$17.50 2 years

There's a new category called "Friend of Cecil." I had hoped to be able to set this up so people could contribute anything they liked, but the system doesn't work like that. So I came up with price points from $10-$50.

Right this minute Friends of Cecil don't get anything tangible for their donation except our everlasting thanks. (BUT as I get my hands on merchandise, yes, we would send you something for you contributions, so at most you'll just have a bit of a wait while supply catches up to demand.) And you also get the satisfaction of knowing you helped make things go better around here and who can put a price tag on that?

I hope you check our paid subscription offers and use them often! The "Friend of Cecil" option can be used once a day every day.

AND ... coming soon: The Great Charter Membership Resubscription drive. Stay tuned for this $30 option to regaining your lost Charter Membership.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

EDITED TO ADD: (copied over from another posting)

"Friend of Cecil" is a category on the Paid Subscriptions page.

Click on UserCP in the blue band at the top of every SDMB page.

Click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the list on the left. It's towards the bottom of the list.

You will then be presented with a page showing you the categories of paid subscriptions:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HH...WhensoFzxMIEHz

When you click on the drop down menu on "Friend of Cecil" you will be presented with an array of donation choices: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $30, $50. Make your selection and follow the prompts.

What do you get for being a Friend of Cecil? Our thanks. At some point some kind of gift, I don't have any merchandise yet but that's something else I'm working on.

We will also give you the title "Friend of Cecil" or another custom title if you prefer. That title is good for a while, I'm still figuring that part out.

Give early, give often, spread the joy around!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

PS For those who really think big, yeah, we can have the "Generous Donor Memorial Forum." For rent, like the Jumbotron at the ball park. "Brought to you by ..." This could be you. Talk to me!

Last edited by TubaDiva; 08-10-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Adding How Friend of Cecil works
  #2  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,670
Sounds reasonable.
  #3  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,307
I'll be donating.

That said, I think you price point is way too low for CM. Most people like their CM status and I think they would be willing to pay more for it.

Keep up the good work Tuba!
  #4  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
AND ... coming soon: The Great Charter Membership Resubscription drive. Stay tuned for this $30 option to regaining your lost Charter Membership.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Now THAT is a good idea!
  #5  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,054
Perhaps there could be custom titles that note we're "Friends of Cecil"?

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 08-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.
  #6  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,056
How about a coffee mug that says "Junior Mod"?

Regards,
Shodan
  #7  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps there could be custom titles that note we're "Friends of Cecil"?
Absolutely. It'll be later on today but I'll work on that.
  #8  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Lancia's Avatar
Lancia Lancia is online now
ID-10-T problem
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Denial
Posts: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps there could be custom titles that note we're "Friends of Cecil"?
This was my thought precisely. I'll be purchasing a membership and a custom title in the next week or two, and now that the "friend of Cecil" option is available I'll likely contribute to that as well. Having an extra / special FOC title would be way cool.

How about a special mortarboard moji that an FOC could put in front of or in lieu of their custom title?
  #9  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
AND ... coming soon: The Great Charter Membership Resubscription drive. Stay tuned for this $30 option to regaining your lost Charter Membership.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
What about a category for regular contributors? There's a group who post every day (or close enough) and drive most of the content. Friend of Cecil is taken and no - NOT junior mod. I don't have a brilliant idea at this moment, but something would be good.
  #10  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:43 PM
PastTense PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,597
Why would there be a "Friends of Cecil" category when Cecil has left?
  #11  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM
John Mace's Avatar
John Mace John Mace is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 84,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
AND ... coming soon: The Great Charter Membership Resubscription drive. Stay tuned for this $30 option to regaining your lost Charter Membership.
Great idea. I get a chance to redeem myself for letting it lapse. And I'll bet there are a few others in the same boat.

Last edited by John Mace; 08-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.
  #12  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps there could be custom titles that note we're "Friends of Cecil"?
Absolutely. It'll be later on today but I'll work on that.
How will it work? If the "Friend of Cecil" thing is a one-day thing, does the custom title expire after 24 hours? If I contribute repeatedly, does the title reflect that? Is there a different title for the fifty-dollar contributor versus the ten-dollar contributor?
  #13  
Old 08-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 15,307
Do people really need recognition for being a contributer?
  #14  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Do people really need recognition for being a contributer?
It could add to the in-group elitist atmosphere that some here have complained about, but on the other hand it does give more incentive to contribute. Human nature makes people want to be part of the in-group.

One thing I suggested in the other thread would be to have thread posting limits for non-contributors. For example, non-contributors can only start X threads a week. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement something like that with the current board software.
__________________
Check out my t-shirt designs in Marketplace. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21131885

Last edited by davidm; 08-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.
  #15  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,054
Absolutely recognition is a factor in how much people contribute. Look at how the universities and hospitals do it. There are usually tiers of memberships. So that if you're a member of the junior society while I'm a member of the senior society, it's understood that, for example, you contributed something between $1000-$10,000, while I contributed $100,000-$1,000,000. Certainly some are happy to have their gift listed as "Anonymous". But the recognition is a factor for many of us.
  #16  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Thudlow Boink Thudlow Boink is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 25,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Absolutely recognition is a factor in how much people contribute. Look at how the universities and hospitals do it.
So if somebody donates a huge chunk of change, could they get a forum named after them?
  #17  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 20,508
I assume that anyone paid up for a few years already, at the old rate, won't have to pony up more just to retain status, at least until the current sub expires?
  #18  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Absolutely recognition is a factor in how much people contribute. Look at how the universities and hospitals do it.
So if somebody donates a huge chunk of change, could they get a forum named after them?
I'm not in charge, so I can't say, but certainly that's how the schools and hospitals do things. (I was once bored enough to poke around the Yale University website where I found a public gift list. The following numbers are made up, as I can't remember the exact figures but it listed things like naming rights for a classroom at a million bucks. An endowed chair (named professorship) at five million. Your name on the main building of one of the new colleges they're building? A cool $150 million. It was hilarious.)
  #19  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
davidm's Avatar
davidm davidm is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Philadelphia PA, USA
Posts: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
So if somebody donates a huge chunk of change, could they get a forum named after them?
Sure. Everyone will flock to post in the Thudlow Boink forum.
__________________
Check out my t-shirt designs in Marketplace. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21131885
  #20  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I'm not in charge, so I can't say, but certainly that's how the schools and hospitals do things. (I was once bored enough to poke around the Yale University website where I found a public gift list. The following numbers are made up, as I can't remember the exact figures but it listed things like naming rights for a classroom at a million bucks. An endowed chair (named professorship) at five million. Your name on the main building of one of the new colleges they're building? A cool $150 million. It was hilarious.)
FYI, here is that page listing gifts for various purposes and various prices.
  #21  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno Bear_Nenno is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alaska!
Posts: 8,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Sure. Everyone will flock to post in the Thudlow Boink forum.
No, but we could have sponsors of current forums. So people would be flocking to "Thudlow Boink MPSIMS" or "Thudlow Boink's Great Debates" similar to a sponsored sports arena. There would be a bidding process.
  #22  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia Guinastasia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
It could add to the in-group elitist atmosphere that some here have complained about, but on the other hand it does give more incentive to contribute. Human nature makes people want to be part of the in-group.

One thing I suggested in the other thread would be to have thread posting limits for non-contributors. For example, non-contributors can only start X threads a week. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement something like that with the current board software.
Maybe have it in a person's profile, rather than each time they post?
  #23  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Fear Itself Fear Itself is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps there could be custom titles that note we're "Friends of Cecil"?
There already is.
  #24  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 26,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Do people really need recognition for being a contributer?
I thought my awesome post-count was my recognition for being a regular contributor? Only 80 more to go and I hit 30,000!

Either awesome, or pathetically without a life...

Last edited by Broomstick; 08-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.
  #25  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM
mhendo mhendo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 24,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I thought my awesome post-count was my recognition for being a regular contributor? Only 80 more to go and I hit 30,000!

Either awesome, or pathetically without a life...
Or maybe just bad at math.

Check your post count, and do the addition again.
  #26  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Drunky Smurf's Avatar
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Smurf Village.
Posts: 10,888
The 'Member/Charter Member' distinction is backwards. It's obvious that the 'Charter Members' highly value the title as a Title that sets them apart from the 'Members'. What people value more, you charge more for. Not give them a discount.
__________________
My Kit Kat has melted. All is lost.
  #27  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:58 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I assume that anyone paid up for a few years already, at the old rate, won't have to pony up more just to retain status, at least until the current sub expires?
Nope. Not required. Unless you really want to.
  #28  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 PM
blob blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 253
Where is the information about paid subscriptions, i don't have any 'subscribe" button on my menus, is it only for Americans?
  #29  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by blob View Post
Where is the information about paid subscriptions, i don't have any 'subscribe" button on my menus, is it only for Americans?
Not at all; it's available to everyone.

To access, please click on the "UserCP" hyperlink in the blue band at the top of every SDMB page. Then click on "Paid Subscriptions" in the list on the left hand side.

Click on the subscription you like/qualify for. Only current Charter Members can renew their subscriptions at Charter Member rates. "Member" is the subscription category for everyone else.

Friend of Cecil is a one time donation device; I am currently working on ways to reward people for making such a donation, it's a work in progress.

Choose your category accordingly and follow the prompts.

You will be asked in big links if you want to use your PayPal account to pay for this transaction. You may do that if you like.

You will be asked in a tiny bit of hard to find text if you want to use your credit card to pay for this transaction. You can do that if you prefer.

Click on the link of your choice. Follow the prompts.

(NOTE: It may be confusing to some folks as the processing mechanism is through the PayPal network. But that does not mean you can't use your credit card if you prefer, though of course you will be encouraged to use a PayPal account.)

Hope this helps.
  #30  
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 AM
Rhiannon8404's Avatar
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,856
Not sure if this is the right place to suggest this, but I always buy a two year membership. It would be nice if I could also pay for a custom title for two years.
  #31  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:30 AM
kopek kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 13,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
We have had the same rates for a very long time. After consultation with the moderators I have decided it's time for some changes.
I expect those of us who renewed lately (like last week maybe?) are still good?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Do people really need recognition for being a contributer?
If it includes a t-shirt that says "I contributed to the fight against ignorance and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" Yes ------- yes I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to suggest this, but I always buy a two year membership. It would be nice if I could also pay for a custom title for two years.
Same here.
  #32  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 26,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Or maybe just bad at math.

Check your post count, and do the addition again.
Actually, I am really bad at math....

Serves me right for not using a calculator.
  #33  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:10 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 26,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
The 'Member/Charter Member' distinction is backwards. It's obvious that the 'Charter Members' highly value the title as a Title that sets them apart from the 'Members'. What people value more, you charge more for. Not give them a discount.
It's not a matter of "value", it's a matter of having been there at the time they started first charging to post. Keeping it long-term meant paying for the privilege even when it was no longer required. If you didn't sustain your subscription you lost the title.

Restoring the title is what should cost money (which is reflected in the given pricing).
  #34  
Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 AM
blob blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
Hope this helps.
Yes thanks.
  #35  
Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 AM
Smapti Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I assume that anyone paid up for a few years already, at the old rate, won't have to pony up more just to retain status, at least until the current sub expires?
So, Milhouse saw the elephant twice and rode it once, right?
  #36  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
The 'Member/Charter Member' distinction is backwards. It's obvious that the 'Charter Members' highly value the title as a Title that sets them apart from the 'Members'. What people value more, you charge more for. Not give them a discount.
I think many people would let the title lapse if they charged more for it. I understand what you're saying, but in the end (at least as of right now) we're paying to get rid of the ads. The Charter title was given out to people that have been a paid member since this all started and it's cheaper as incentive to re-up each year, on time.

If this were, say, a yacht club, that might work better.
  #37  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,056
How about a scholarship fund to buy memberships for others?

Set up a thread where you set the conditions. "Whoever posts the funniest pun wins a Membership - Guests only". Add a poll, whoever gets the most votes after a week wins the membership.

Or maybe, for $100, you get to change somebody else's Custom Title for a week. $200 if it has to be tasteful.

Regards,
Shodan
  #38  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 34,425
blob hints at an issue: It might be nice if the ability to pay were more out front, where people can see it. It would help with how humans work: out of sight, out of mind and all that. It would also let new people see it.

I also would like to recommend a smaller donation category--basically, the smallest you can get away with and still make money after fees and stuff. Allowing a small amount will make it more of an impulse purchase. You have some extra change, and you see that donation button, and so you figure "why not" and throw it in.

I know I always find it easier to throw in a dollar or two than to try and go through than to pay something like $10. I know that 10 $1 donations aren't as good as a single $10 donation, but I think the increase in uptake might make up for that.

And if I'm reminded by a simple but unobtrusive button or thin banner at the top of the page, I'd be more likely to remember and drop a couple bucks when I have it to spare. It's how every other site I contribute to has worked.

Last edited by BigT; 08-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
  #39  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:40 AM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to suggest this, but I always buy a two year membership. It would be nice if I could also pay for a custom title for two years.
Ask and ye shall receive. Done.
  #40  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I expect those of us who renewed lately (like last week maybe?) are still good?
Yes. You can give more if you like (see "Friend of Cecil") but all paid memberships prior to the price change are in effect for the full length of the subscription at the old price.
  #41  
Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
blob hints at an issue: It might be nice if the ability to pay were more out front, where people can see it. It would help with how humans work: out of sight, out of mind and all that. It would also let new people see it.

I also would like to recommend a smaller donation category--basically, the smallest you can get away with and still make money after fees and stuff. Allowing a small amount will make it more of an impulse purchase. You have some extra change, and you see that donation button, and so you figure "why not" and throw it in.

I know I always find it easier to throw in a dollar or two than to try and go through than to pay something like $10. I know that 10 $1 donations aren't as good as a single $10 donation, but I think the increase in uptake might make up for that.

And if I'm reminded by a simple but unobtrusive button or thin banner at the top of the page, I'd be more likely to remember and drop a couple bucks when I have it to spare. It's how every other site I contribute to has worked.
I'm asking for a donation box/tip jar on the front page of the Straight Dope site, but this is a STM/WordPress deal and I don't have access to those controls. But I am asking.

I will add $1 and $5 categories to Friend of Cecil.

I DO have access to controls over the Paid Subscription function on the board and have made these changes myself. It's a wonky thing, the "Friend of Cecil," but it's the best I can come up with in the face of what I have to work with. I have no doubt the STM people can come up with a more elegant solution.

Last edited by TubaDiva; 08-09-2018 at 09:45 AM.
  #42  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:51 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 36,544
Altho the prices changes are reasonable, it seems like you are penalizing those that actually, you know- contribute, and letting the deadbeats get away with paying nothing.
  #43  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 PM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek engineer_comp_geek is offline
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,757
Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Altho the prices changes are reasonable, it seems like you are penalizing those that actually, you know- contribute, and letting the deadbeats get away with paying nothing.
Please do not refer to our guests as "deadbeats" in ATMB. It's a bit insulting.

We tried pay-to-post. It didn't work. Without our non-paying guests, the SDMB is not sustainable.
  #44  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 36,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note



Please do not refer to our guests as "deadbeats" in ATMB. It's a bit insulting.

We tried pay-to-post. It didn't work. Without our non-paying guests, the SDMB is not sustainable.
Yes, that's true. and of course newbies are guests. But we have a lot of very active posters, those who always complain, and who never pay. I think the term is right for them, but I understand your point.

I am not saying pay to post, just either some limits on NPs or some benefits to paid members.

Maybe NPers can only make so many posts a day. Or Paid members can get a old warning dismissed if no recent warning. Or something besides a meaningless title.
  #45  
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
Johnny Bravo Johnny Bravo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
AND ... coming soon: The Great Charter Membership Resubscription drive. Stay tuned for this $30 option to regaining your lost Charter Membership.
Here is a newsletter I am interested in.
  #46  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 Helena330 is offline
Mere Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yes, that's true. and of course newbies are guests. But we have a lot of very active posters, those who always complain, and who never pay. I think the term is right for them, but I understand your point.

I am not saying pay to post, just either some limits on NPs or some benefits to paid members.

Maybe NPers can only make so many posts a day. Or Paid members can get a old warning dismissed if no recent warning. Or something besides a meaningless title.
I'm totally against marginalizing guests. There are people for whom just $20 is unaffordable. It's also plain unwelcoming. I pay to support the board, not to gain some illusory moral high ground. I'd be fine with doing away with all the titles.
  #47  
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46 PM
mhendo mhendo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 24,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Maybe NPers can only make so many posts a day. Or Paid members can get a old warning dismissed if no recent warning. Or something besides a meaningless title.
But why do you care if all you get is just "a meaningless title"?

Your main point seems to be that paying is the right thing to do. If you really believe that's actually true, then surely you should do it for that reason alone?
  #48  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Dr. Crap Dr. Crap is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 304
In the interest of this boards viability, why not allow members who have been banned to restore their status by paying for membership? If they re-offend, they can be re-banned. That's a virtuous cycle.
  #49  
Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM
blob blob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
blob hints at an issue: It might be nice if the ability to pay were more out front,
I looked for the information, couldn't find it. What I did find (before I gave up) didn't seem to be correct/comprehensive like the reply I got in this thread.
  #50  
Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 PM
robby's Avatar
robby robby is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Crap View Post
In the interest of this boards viability, why not allow members who have been banned to restore their status by paying for membership? If they re-offend, they can be re-banned. That's a virtuous cycle.
I would support this. On a related note, I've often wondered if the policy of permanent bans on the SDMB has had the effect of cutting off our collective nose to spite the face.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017