Old 08-14-2018, 10:00 PM

Culture artifacts that ...maybe not ONLY you remember....but its getting close.

Or seems to. I'm sure some people here will remember these but I don't know anyone in person who does.

"Monty Haul" adventures in Dragon magazine. Not the concept of Monty Haul, but a series of adventures by people who fought things like "12 Tiamats by calling a strike by their orbiting USS Enterprise."
Old 08-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I've never met anyone else who remembers Fun Factory with Daryl Hoyt.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 PM

I seem to be pretty rare in that I remember watching the Star Wars Holiday Special. Perhaps even more rare because I enjoyed it, but that's a different topic.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 PM

You mean things like whoopee whistles, like the one Steve Allen used to blow?

My brother had one of those back in the '50s. It was awesome! It was machined out of metal and looked like a part off an airplane.

The only time I've seen one since was more than 20 years ago, and it was made out of cheap plastic. Tfu!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post

My brother had one of those back in the '50s. It was awesome! It was machined out of metal and looked like a part off an airplane.

The only time I've seen one since was more than 20 years ago, and it was made out of cheap plastic. Tfu!
Made me think of Water Wiggles. A cone placed on the top of a garden hose and the hose flies around and....wacks kids in the head resulting in lawsuits and the toy being banned. Along with clik-claks. I'm sure tons of people remember those though.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Hardly any of my friends realize that the original jingle for Rice-a-Roni is lying, because the preparation instructions specifically CALL for bringing the San Francisco treat to boiling before reducing to a simmer.

Because hardly any of them know the original jingle.

and because I donít have that many friends...
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 AM

There was another thing we played with back in the '50s, but I don't remember what they were called---snakes or worms or something like that. They were small pellets that looked like charcoal and smelled like sulfur. If they were exposed to heat, they'd fizzle and spit and expand into long, gnarly strips, hence the name (snakes or worms). We used to put them on the sidewalk and focus sunlight onto them with a magnifying glass until they were hot enough to ignite.

There was also a kind of plastic that came in a tube (like toothpaste) that you could put on the end of a straw and blow into as though you were blowing glass. The stuff had a strong solvent smell like airplane glue and probably made a lot of kids high.

And then there were Fizzies, soft drink tablets that bubbled like Alka-Seltzer. My favorite was root beer. Anybody remember those? They were almost as good as soda fountain phosphates (my favorites were cherry and lime). Haven't had one of those since the early '80s.

Last edited by terentii; 08-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Hardly any of my friends realize that the original jingle for Rice-a-Roni is lying, because the preparation instructions specifically CALL for bringing the San Francisco treat to boiling before reducing to a simmer.

Because hardly any of them know the original jingle.

and because I don’t have that many friends...
Rice-A-Roni,
the San Francisco treat!
(*Clang, clang!*)

Last edited by terentii; 08-15-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Is the one you recall shaped like a little dome/cone, where you blow into the base? I had one of those mounted on a ring, when I was a kid. Got it in a gumball-type machine* in front of a liquor store at the corner of Geary and 12th Avenue in San Francisco back in 1964.

And now I want it back. In fact, I want summers in the early Sixties back, when my parents would load four or five of us onto a Greyhound bus to San Francisco to spend a few weeks with Grandma and Grandpa Kranzke and Auntie Moe, and Uncle Bob, and ohfuckigotsomethinginmyeye...

* the kind that took a nickel, instead of a penny
Old 08-15-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Is the one you recall shaped like a little dome/cone, where you blow into the base? I had one of those mounted on a ring, when I was a kid. Got it in a gumball-type machine* in front of a liquor store at the corner of Geary and 12th Avenue in San Francisco back in 1964.
Yep, that's it! And it went Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I used the one I had in the '90s on my radio show, as a kind of homage to Steve.

Last edited by terentii; 08-15-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

And now I want it back. In fact, I want summers in the early Sixties back, when my parents would load four or five of us onto a Greyhound bus to San Francisco to spend a few weeks with Grandma and Grandpa Kranzke and Auntie Moe, and Uncle Bob, and ohfuckigotsomethinginmyeye...

* the kind that took a nickel, instead of a penny
And one day I realized that they sent us up there so they could fuck us up another baby brother or sister, which is why there are so many May birthdays in my family.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Lawn darts (aka Jarts). We had a set and did play with them.

Some kid I met was hit with one once: someone threw it into the air and it came down into his shoulder. He told the story like a war veteran talking about a minor wound.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
There was another thing we played with back in the '50s, but I don't remember what they were called---snakes or worms or something like that. They were small pellets that looked like charcoal and smelled like sulfur. If they were exposed to heat, they'd fizzle and spit and expand into long, gnarly strips, hence the name (snakes or worms). We used to put them on the sidewalk and focus sunlight onto them with a magnifying glass until they were hot enough to ignite.
I remember those. They were called black snakes, I believe. My mother always hated them, because they left a black carbon residue on the driveway that was almost impossible to clean away. We learned to do them well away from our own property.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Lawn darts (aka Jarts). We had a set and did play with them.

Some kid I met was hit with one once: someone threw it into the air and it came down into his shoulder. He told the story like a war veteran talking about a minor wound.
If they went into the ground near a buried power line, you could get electrocuted when you to tried to pull them out. I remember hearing this had happened to one little kid back in '75. (The date really stuck in my mind: Sunday, 22 June.)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:

There was also a kind of plastic that came in a tube (like toothpaste) that you could put on the end of a straw and blow into as though you were blowing glass. The stuff had a strong solvent smell like airplane glue and probably made a lot of kids high.

And then there were Fizzies, soft drink tablets that bubbled like Alka-Seltzer. My favorite was root beer. Anybody remember those? They were almost as good as soda fountain phosphates (my favorites were cherry and lime). Haven't had one of those since the early '80s.
I remember all of these, terentii .

The pellet things were called Snakes (at least in my neck of the woods) and I only remember seeing them around the 4th of July; they were considered part of the whole fireworks thing. In fact, I recently reminded my brother of the time he got in big trouble for directly defying our dad who ordered him not to light them on the sidewalk (they make a big, sooty mess).

The stuff you put on a straw and blew to make a bubble was "Super Elastic Bubble Plastic" and it did indeed contain some nasty stuff that eventually led to it being taken of the market. I can recall the smell as clearly as if I was holding it right now.

I don't recall Fizzies as clearly as the other two, but you are definitely not alone in your memory of it.

Somewhat related to kaylasdad99's Water Wiggle (we had one too!) was the lesser known Water Weenie. Please tell me someone remembers those. The same brother who incurred my dad's wrath with the Snake burning had an "incident" with a Water Weenie; he was filling one up and it either popped or flew off the end of the hose. Either way, it was traumatic to his weenie We've been laughing about that for 45 years.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Super Elastic Bubble Plastic! Always a contender in the Most Dangerous Toys Category!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
The stuff you put on a straw and blew to make a bubble was "Super Elastic Bubble Plastic" and it did indeed contain some nasty stuff that eventually led to it being taken of the market. I can recall the smell as clearly as if I was holding it right now.
The only other time I've encountered that smell was terrifying: When she was three, my daughter somehow contracted a bad kidney infection. Before I rushed her back to her mom's, where she spent the next month bedridden, it was precisely the odor her breath had. What kind of chemical reaction in her body could possibly have produced it, I have no idea. But it instantly took me back to when I was five or six years old!
Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 AM

PG7 Concrete Saddle Shape

This was (as far as I can tell) a 1970s UK knockoff of the iconic Saddle Slide play sculpture created by Jim Miller-Melberg in the 1950s (visible on this page)

The PG7 saddle shapes used to be very common in children's playgrounds in the UK - I always thought they were intended to represent a tent of some kind, but I'm not sure if that was just me. There's one surviving example in a pub garden near where I live, but I don't know of any others still standing.

Not many people seemed to remember them when I posted a pic on Instagram and featured it in a YouTube video.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I seem to be pretty rare in that I remember watching the Star Wars Holiday Special. Perhaps even more rare because I enjoyed it, but that's a different topic.
Me too! It was Star Wars and I was 11 so I was going to watch and love whatever they put on the screen as long as they called it Star Wars.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I remember all of those. I too loved the rootbeer fizzies.

One my favorite and earliest cartoon memories was Pow Wow the Indian Boy. I donít think Iíve ever met anyone who remembers it.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
One my favorite and earliest cartoon memories was Pow Wow the Indian Boy. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who remembers it.
The theme was parodied brilliantly on SCTV "as sung by Lorne Greene." Unfortunately, I don't see a clip for it on YouTube.

Last edited by terentii; 08-15-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 AM

I remember that in the 80s, there was a fad for stickers. Girls at school would have sticker books, there were mall kiosks that sold only stickers, and there was a ridiculous variety. Scratch and sniff, textured, puffy, liquid filled, even color changing liquid crystal "mood stickers". Funny how it just seemed to disappear overnight.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Greenie Stick-M-Caps. Or caps in general: usually a strip of paper with small circles of gunpowder. You'd put them in a cap gun and they'd sound like a real gun going off (well, not as loud, but they did give a nice little bang).

Greenie Stick-M-Caps would stick to individual "bullets" instead of being a strip. Allowed for more "realism," plus (spring-loaded) bullets that actually flew out of the gun. Because the bullets were spring-loaded, they couldn't penetrate much (though I suppose they could . . .

Wait for it.......

Shoot your eye out.)
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."

Last edited by RealityChuck; 08-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I remember the TV series Something Wilder. Particularly the episode where Alice Cooper sang the beginning of The Barney Song (I love you, you love me).

Betcha Alice himself doesn't remember that.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, yes, and yes. You must be about 60-65.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Crap, missed the EDIT menu.

One of my earliest cartoon memories is (wait for it!) Little Black Sambo. Seriously!

(Did you know it was originally set in India, and not Africa? Which explains why there's a tiger in it.)
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
I remember all of those. I too loved the rootbeer fizzies.

One my favorite and earliest cartoon memories was Pow Wow the Indian Boy. I donít think Iíve ever met anyone who remembers it.
Pow wow the Indian boy,
loved all the animals in the wood....
Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batano View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. You must be about 60-65.
I turned 63 in January. I ain't no spring chicken.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Greenie Stick-M-Caps. Or caps in general: usually a strip of paper with small circles of gunpowder. You'd put them in a cap gun and they'd sound like a real gun going off (well, not as loud, but they did give a nice little bang).

Greenie Stick-M-Caps would stick to individual "bullets" instead of being a strip. Allowed for more "realism," plus (spring-loaded) bullets that actually flew out of the gun. Because the bullets were spring-loaded, they couldn't penetrate much (though I suppose they could . . .

Wait for it.......

Shoot your eye out.)
I loved the Greenie roll caps you could load into the magazine of a Mattel tommy gun. You could fire ten shots in a go if you pulled the bolt back all the way, meaning a roll was used up after five bursts. Best of all was when you tossed a whole role into a campfire or barbecue and the caps all went off at once. Then the grownups would yell and bitch at you and demand to know what you threw in there!
Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Where phosphates are concerned, there's a retro malt shop I sometimes go to here in Toronto. They make their own fountain drinks (syrup, soda water), but when I asked if I could have a cherry or a lime phosphate, they had no idea what I was talking about. It think phosphates are truly a lost art.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Slip 'N Slide. Complete with steel stakes that if came out of the ground, you could impale yourself on.

Play Ground Spring Riders. I'm surprised still made "For residential use only" So there is a bit of a disclaimer.

Back in the day, basically a steal/cast iron cartoon character mounted on a heavy duty spring. If you're 'riding' forward and back or side to side and fall off, expect it to bounce back and break a part of you. (or any unfortunate bystanders)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved the Greenie roll caps you could load into the magazine of a Mattel tommy gun. You could fire ten shots in a go if you pulled the bolt back all the way, meaning a roll was used up after five bursts. Best of all was when you tossed a whole role into a campfire or barbecue and the caps all went off at once. Then the grownups would yell and bitch at you and demand to know what you threw in there!
Even better: setting them off with your fingernails.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Does anyone else in the known universe remember the breakfast cereal (and TV commercials for) Clackers? Yes, it tastes like Graham Crackers--if GCs were made out of corrugated cardboard.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Ever hit the whole roll with a hammer?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Does anyone else in the known universe remember the breakfast cereal (and TV commercials for) Clackers? Yes, it tastes like Graham Crackers--if GCs were made out of corrugated cardboard.
I remember Stax cereal. Marty Engels did at least one commercial for them. "If you get tired of eating them, you can always ... STACK them!"*

Stax---stack. Geddit?

*They too tasted like cardboard.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Ever hit the whole roll with a hammer?
Not that I can recall, though I bet some of the guys I played Army with did.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Now tell me who remembers Marty Engels?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Mr. Shirley Jones? (I'm not looking)

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 08-15-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Saddle shapes reminds me of the enclosed metal swingsets where you pump yourself by pulling two metal levers, and were presumably safer because it was difficult to fall out of the frame. Saddle shapes seem to have the opposite problem but they are both modernist-looking playground designs. I can't find an image for them because I can't remember what they were called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
PG7 Concrete Saddle Shape

This was (as far as I can tell) a 1970s UK knockoff of the iconic Saddle Slide play sculpture created by Jim Miller-Melberg in the 1950s (visible on this page)

The PG7 saddle shapes used to be very common in children's playgrounds in the UK - I always thought they were intended to represent a tent of some kind, but I'm not sure if that was just me. There's one surviving example in a pub garden near where I live, but I don't know of any others still standing.
I don't remember them being called "Saddle Shapes" but I do remember similar concrete modernist climbable structures in Chautauqua County up until the very early 80s when they seemed to disappear overnight (I imagine safety concerns may have been involved.)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Mr. Shirley Jones? (I'm not looking)
Bingo! Also half of I'm Dickens, He's Fenster.

Can you name the other half?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 AM

^ Sorry, that was my last remaining brain-cell.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
^ Sorry, that was my last remaining brain-cell.
Mr Patty Duke, though he's quite famous in his own right. Also the only surviving male villain on Adam West's Batman (I think).
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM

I don't know of anyone else who used to subscribe to Musician magazine and has any of their A Little On The CD Side compilation discs, or remembers them.

Very few people I encounter remember an old cartoon called Kimba The White Lion.

A few weeks ago I was at a kid's birthday party and he got a Sit-'n-Spin, and no one else in the house -- at least a dozen adults, ranging in age from early 20s to mid-70s -- remembered them from ~40 years ago! When it was unwrapped I exclaimed "oh, I loved that when I was a kid!" and all I got were blank stares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
I remember that in the 80s, there was a fad for stickers.
Yaaaaasss! In grade school/the early 80s, recess used to be all about trading stickers with other girls. For a few years the best gift I could get was stickers. Lisa Frank designs ruled -- I even had Lisa Frank bedsheets at one point!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Those burning snake things that everyone's mentioning aren't forgotten. They're still a thing. If you buy a variety pack of fireworks there's often one or two packs of them included.
https://youtu.be/oYytdZuV47M
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
enclosed metal swingsets where you pump yourself by pulling two metal levers, and were presumably safer because it was difficult to fall out of the frame.
[..]
I can't find an image for them because I can't remember what they were called.
Found it several pages in to one of my Google searchs: arm pump swings.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Mr Patty Duke, though he's quite famous in his own right. Also the only surviving male villain on Adam West's Batman (I think).
You mean Samwise's dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I don't know of anyone else who used to subscribe to Musician magazine and has any of their A Little On The CD Side compilation discs, or remembers them.

Very few people I encounter remember an old cartoon called Kimba The White Lion.

A few weeks ago I was at a kid's birthday party and he got a Sit-'n-Spin, and no one else in the house -- at least a dozen adults, ranging in age from early 20s to mid-70s -- remembered them from ~40 years ago! When it was unwrapped I exclaimed "oh, I loved that when I was a kid!" and all I got were blank stares.

Yaaaaasss! In grade school/the early 80s, recess used to be all about trading stickers with other girls. For a few years the best gift I could get was stickers. Lisa Frank designs ruled -- I even had Lisa Frank bedsheets at one point!
(Bolding mine)

Same company as Marine Boy, Speed Racer and Astro Boy?

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 08-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You mean Samwise's dad?
That's $2000 more for you, Burpo!

(Seriously, I had to look this one up! )
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Those burning snake things that everyone's mentioning aren't forgotten. They're still a thing. If you buy a variety pack of fireworks there's often one or two packs of them included.
https://youtu.be/oYytdZuV47M
Some things just never go out of style!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Clanky Chocolate Syrup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Yh-FGZQ58
Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Wow, did you jog a memory! Don't think I ever had it, but I remember robot shaped bottles on your grocer's shelf.