Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Does anyone hate 'Friends' as much as I do?

There are whole cable channels devoted to showing 'Friends' hour after hour, night after night, week after week. I have tried several times to watch this show, and I simply don't GET it. I tried tonight. I loathe each and every one of them, I hate this show. I have tried. What am I missing? I think it's a dumbass fairy tale of what life in NYC can be. I get that part. But I simply cannot watch it.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 PM

I can't hate it, 'cause I've never seen a single second of it. And I intend to keep it that way. From what I hear about it, I would indeed hate it.

So, that's close, I guess?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM

I’ve watched a few episodes. I can tell I’m not the target audience. So, don’t hate it, but it doesn’t interest me.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:02 PM

Hate it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 PM

its one of those shows that resonated with people at one point in time and now those same people watch if for nostalgia...….
Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I can't say I've ever watched an entire episode. There was no one in the cast that I cared that much about. (I did, however,really like Matt LeBlanc playing himself in Episodes)

Last edited by blondebear; 08-16-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM

The Jennifer Aniston Show? Love it. I think other people were on the show also.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I quite liked it. It was a perfect show to watch, well, with friends! Plus, I was in my 20s and had my own apartment, yet they never quite looked like those on the show. I also liked 1990s sitcoms since they had moved away from the hit you over the head with the moral lesson style of the late 1970s and 1980s.

The show works well in reruns, since there aren’t complicated plots and you don’t need to focus 100%
Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 PM

Don't like it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 PM

I am a shallow, shallow man in many ways. That show demonstrates the depths of my shallowness (heh). I thought all three of the female leads were quite attractive, each in their own way. That was the main attraction (heh) of the show for me. There was some clever writing at times as well.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
There are whole cable channels devoted to showing 'Friends' hour after hour, night after night, week after week. I have tried several times to watch this show, and I simply don't GET it. I tried tonight. I loathe each and every one of them, I hate this show. I have tried. What am I missing? I think it's a dumbass fairy tale of what life in NYC can be. I get that part. But I simply cannot watch it.
It’s a fairy tale in the same way that the Disney version of Cinderella is a romanticized version of a poor woman escaping ritualized child abuse into sexual servitude with an older and more powerful man. In fact, pretty much all of the Disney princesses are a collection of studies of the various causes of complex PTSD, save for maybe Mulan. Anyway, six obnoxious, narcissistic people who despite living in one of the world’s most diverse cities with all manner of culture, cuisine, et cetera, at their findertips and yet spending all of their time together insulting each other in either their ridiculously large (by central Manhattan standards) apartment or the apparently one available coffee shop in Midtown? They might as well be living in North Platte, NE. At least the assholes in Seinfeld had interesting conversations about their pointless lives and self-created problems; these people might as well have been spittaking spackling paste at one another.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 08-16-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 PM

It was fine. I found it amusing at the time and can still be amused by an episode today. It was competently written situational comedy with a fairly competent cast. More than you get from most shows.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 PM

It's a show that I think I tried my hardest to hate but ended up being somewhat entertaining. Not something I care to watch on the regular but it's perfectly nice background noise, and when SO wants to binge watch it, I am secretly thankful because they are much worse choices.

Still waiting for Ross to eat the other Friends.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post

Still waiting for Ross to eat the other Friends.
Wouldn't it be Monica eating the other friends?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 PM

I think the only episode I watched in its entirety was the farewell episode. I always thought of that show as a Seinfeld ripoff, and could only manage about 5-10 seconds or so of the theme song before I killed it. My 2 thoughts about that show:
1) Jennifer Anniston, boy she sure is pretty.
2) The final episode ended with Jorma Kaukonen's "Embryonic Journey" which was pretty cool.

Last edited by bobot; 08-16-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 PM

I watched faithfully when it was first broadcast, and have caught many of the episodes multiple times in the past. I can't much watch it any more because I want to bitch-slap every single one of the characters, including supporting characters, every time they open their mouths. I'm not sure what changed, exactly, but I find I have no patience for that kind of self-absorbed moronitude any more.

Pretty much the same way I feel about Will and Grace, except that it has aged even less well than Friends. I don't think the problem is that they are set in NYC, because I can watch repeats of Barney Miller until I turn into a pumpkin, although I don't like Harris or Dietrich as well as I used to.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 PM

One of my favorite exchanges. Monica is dating a friend and contemporary of her father. After keeping the relationship a secret the guy finally 'fesses up to Monica's dad. Monica asks how that went. "It's been a long time since your father and I went running..."

Sorry, that cracked me up and has stuck with me.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:19 PM

I didn't watch the original run but had seen some reruns over the years and through cultural osmosis kind of knew the plot points. Then about a month ago I caught the pilot on one of the networks that plays it 5 or 6 times a day (TV Land I think). I decided to watch it. I've been recording it and binge watching before bed. I can watch each episode in about 15 minutes since I don't have to pay a whole lot of attention. It's been interesting to watch the cast change over the years and see 10 years worth of storylines compressed into a few weeks. I'm not a sitcom watcher so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I've found it fairly entertaining and on occasion pretty funny. I think I've got about 2 more weeks until the end and I'll be glad to be done with it. But I don't think it's been a total waste of time.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 PM

Yes! Though I've hardly ever watched it, but the few times I looked at it, it always struck me as an incompetent attempt to capitalize on the success of Seinfeld. Seinfeld had its annoyances, especially when it became obnoxiously self-important once it got super popular, but some of the comedy was undeniably fresh and brilliant. To me, Friends was just the annoyances and none of the wit.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I can't hate it, 'cause I've never seen a single second of it.
I bow down to you sir.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Is it threadshitting to come into this thread and say you liked Friends?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Wouldn't it be Monica eating the other friends?
Up your meme game!

Ross is clearly the worst Friend.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Maybe. But I did like Friends.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I liked the series. It wasn't great television but it was entertaining.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I'll take the risk. Well, I liked the first few seasons at least. I lost interest around the time Ross blew up his own wedding to that obnoxious British woman, Chandler and Monica hooked up and all the female cast began having babies. Really, I know that the series had to progress the overall storyline but it seems like it should have ended at least four seasons before it actually did.

High points for me, among others ,were the various takes on Thanksgiving, the couple of alternate universe episodes, the one with the trivia game where the winner gets Monica and Rachel's apartment, and Phoebe teaching Chrissie Hynde how to sing 'Smelly Cat'. Low points: as mentioned above, along with, in general, the soap-opry aspects, particularly the banal, endles Ross-Rachel will they-won't they storyline.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-16-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:50 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I love Friends! I'd seen only one episode until I returned to the US two years ago. That was in Kuala Lumpur in 1996, and the reason I didn't see more was because the TV set in the hotel room literally blew up and they didn't have a replacement. So when I returned here two years ago, I watched it every day. Still watch it every night. It's a great show! What's not to like?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I love Friends! I'd seen only one episode until I returned to the US two years ago. That was in Kuala Lumpur in 1996, and the reason I didn't see more was because the TV set in the hotel room literally blew up and they didn't have a replacement. So when I returned here two years ago, I watched it every day. Still watch it every night. It's a great show! What's not to like?
I'm watching it now.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 AM

Buncha threadcrappers.

It just jumped the shark earlier than most, running the typical arc of something that attracts attention for being potentially subversive, then becoming almost exclusively about "feelings". "Feelings" are what sells the junk food, pills and new improved razors. Many TV shows do this: Mad Men, Oprah, even that show about a criminal biker gang. For Friends it just happened after the first three episodes of the first season.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 AM

The show finished some 15 years ago.
To watch it now, yeah the humor seems dated and also social norms have moved on. Also the last couple seasons it did run out of steam.

But it makes perfect sense to me how much of a hit Friends was at the time: it was simply a lot funnier than anything else on TV at the time, plus it looked like a fun place to be: you want to be the seventh person hanging out at Cafe Perk. But also I can see why someone watching it now would think it was crappy.

Last edited by Mijin; 08-17-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:57 AM

We still have that socially inept scientist show.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 AM

I liked it back when they iced down Rachel's nipples and she had some juicy t & a. Then they got into that whole let's see what actress on tv can be the skinniest bag of bones competition.

You could also tell whenever Matthew Perry was struggling with addiction because his weight fluctuated around 30-40lbs over a short time and his head completely changed.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 08-17-2018 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunoia View Post
... Which also jumped the shark long ago when it started to be about "relationships" and "feelings." I wish CBS would finally put it out of its misery.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I liked it back when they iced down Rachel's nipples and she had some juicy t & a. Then they got into that whole let's see what actress on tv can be the skinniest bag of bones competition.
The only episodes (or bits of episodes) I've seen were the ones with Paget Brewster in nothing but a jersey and sweat socks.

Paget Brewster, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Was never crazy about it. I did always like Chandler though. Nobody plays a better smart ass than him.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 AM

Here and there it has some nice little bits. But a lot of not so nice bits. Watching it once a week was okay. But watching several episodes back-to-back. Egad, the flaws just jump out screaming. Plus once you know how certain things turn out (often in a dumb way), rewatching becomes very uninteresting. The anticipation just isn't there.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I've never had strong enough feelings about it to hate it. But from what little I've seen, the best I can say for it is that it's better than Seinfeld.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

It sucked. The only good moment was Kathleen Turner as Chandler's dad.

Chandler: There's daddy.
Monica (absolutely drop jawed): That cannot be your father.
Chandler: Believe me, I've been saying that for years.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 AM

I never got into it back when it was running, and don't have any nostalgia to get me into it today. I don't get why people are so into it, especially younger people who didn't see it in the first run, but it's in the 'meh' category, not 'I hate this with the passion of a thousand burning suns'.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 AM

I've watched a few episodes here and there. It didn't grab me. Then again, I've never been a faithful follower of any situation comedy. My wife loved it though, bought the DVD box set.

You may not like the writing or the actors, but I don't see what there is to not "get". It's a standard sitcom that happened to be quite popular, probably because it had pretty people in it. Nothing deep here.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM

possibly, but I hate sitcoms in general.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
probably because it had pretty people in it.
It's a modern era sit-com. They ALL have pretty people in them.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 AM

I was always "meh" about the whole thing. Didn't watch TV in the 90s so missed the first run. The show annoys me in some ways, but only to the extent that it reflects things that annoy me about my culture. I don't seek it out on TV, but I don't automatically turn it off if it's in the background.

Last edited by Hypno-Toad; 08-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
...it was simply a lot funnier than anything else on TV at the time...
Ever heard of Seinfeld?? Or later, Malcom in the Middle?

I hated Friends when it was on. Mostly because everyone else loved it and I thought it was cheesy pap. And in comparison to the perfection that was Seinfeld, Friends was utter garbage.

Now that I'm older, and I've watched a ton more sitcoms, old and new, I can tell that it wasn't as bad as many. The sitcom world can sink pretty low. But I still think Friends is vastly overrated.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 AM

There is a lot of similarity between Seinfeld and Friends but I wouldn't call Friends derivative necessarily. Seinfeld was not the first sitcom set in NYC. The main difference is that Seinfeld was social commentary and satire while Friends was a comic soap opera. The audience was supposed to form attachment to the Friends characters while on Seinfeld the audience was only supposed to relate to Jerry. But Elaine would play a female version of Jerry on some episodes, and Phoebe and Joey were more like the weird friends that the other characters played on Seinfeld. So there is a lot of commonality, though much of it is the same commonality among many sitcoms, but Friends went their own direction with a long term overarching storyline and a lot of character development. I hate character development on sitcoms though, it ruins comedy, and the great thing about Seinfeld is that the characters ended the way the started, selfish, self absorbed observers of life. No doubt that in terms of originality and pure comedy Seinfeld was the superior product.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:14 AM

I find it funny, but I don't care for the characters at all.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 AM

I liked it for the first few years of the original run. I was single and thought the show was funny. I stopped watching it during the original run at some point, and would not watch an episode now, there are too many other choices, the catch phrases are worn out, and I don't think it has aged well. Plus the writing on some of the new TV shows is so much better.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 AM

It's a much better show than unfunny, overrated Seinfeld.

That's right. I said it. Come at me.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
its one of those shows that resonated with people at one point in time and now those same people watch if for nostalgia....
This is a big part of it. I loved it when it was first run. Back then everyone watched it, or at least enough so that we all discussed it the next morning at work.

I didn't love everything about it by any means;the only characters I liked from the start to the finish were Joey and Chandler. I couldn't have cared less about Ross & Rachel, I had no interest in any of the pregnancy, child birth, child related episodes so even though I suffered through them the first time, I never watch those reruns. In fact, I know the episodes so well (i know; sad ) I have certain ones that I will always watch when they come on and many that I'll never watch again.

So, to answer the OP, of course some people hate the show as much as you do; just not full time
Old 08-17-2018, 10:56 AM

I enjoyed it at the time it was originally airing. I was pretty much the perfect target audience, being in my mid-twenties and trying to navigate things like dating and finding the right job, just like the characters were.

I don't watch the endless reruns very much these days, and when I do happen to run across one, it's rather hard to watch now. Possibly just because I've seen them enough that they're no longer funny, or because I've changed to the point that I can't really related as well to the characters anymore.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunoia View Post
Nah, Breaking Bad ended its run a while back.