Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 PM
senoy senoy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,112
Why are baby animals cute?

Simple question: Why do baby animals appear cute to humans? It's obvious why we prefer human babies, but why animal babies? Even babies that are extremely different than we are like reptiles or birds and even some insects. What purpose does it serve for us to look at a baby turtle waddling to the ocean and our brains go 'Awwww, how adorable?'

A corollary question that is probably easier to answer, why are many baby mammals softer than their adult counterparts?

(Maybe sometime in the future we can discuss why we find deserts beautiful too. )
  #2  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 40,119
It's just a corollary of the fact that we find human babies cute. Human babies have disproportionately large heads and eyes and small noses/short faces, so we find these characteristics attractive. As a side effect, we find most animals with these characteristics cute, not just babies (including reptiles and birds) but adult animals like pandas, owls, small primates, koalas, and so forth. Likewise, cartoon characters from Mickey Mouse to Hello Kitty are given these babylike characteristics.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-07-2018 at 01:31 PM.
  #3  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,317
Baby animals aren’t universally cute.

This baby wallaby is nightmare fuel to me.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BCAPWW/a-v...ket-BCAPWW.jpg

I think like Colibri said it depends on how many characteristics it shares with a human baby, since we’re genetically wired as a species to be affectionate to our young. Baby flies (maggots) are considered by most people to be extremely disgusting. I think the more “alien” a baby is, the less “cute” it is.

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-07-2018 at 01:38 PM.
  #4  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Arkcon Arkcon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoy View Post
A corollary question that is probably easier to answer, why are many baby mammals softer than their adult counterparts?
As with the other one, its likely as much your opinion as anything else. However, the smaller an animal is, the greater surface area to body volume it has. And that will cause it to lose heat. So we have fluffy mammals, downy chickens, even neonatal humans have lanugo -- probably an evolutionary holdover and not as a practical covering. Then they grow in size, need less heat retention, and more practical fur -- shedding rain, letting excess heat out, as individual identification and for sexual selection. Example: the ugly pin feathers of a pullet.
  #5  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM
psychonaut psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,544
There's a Wikipedia article on cuteness that covers a lot of the basics—including "why" as in "what in particular makes baby animals cute?" and "why" as in "what purpose does cuteness serve?"
  #6  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Arkcon Arkcon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Baby animals arenít universally cute.

This baby wallaby is nightmare fuel to me.
Exactly. The O.P. really meant mammals only, and maybe chickens. And even only some animals: newborn rabbits are nude, newborn hares are furry. Chicks are fuzzy and cute, naked songbirds are gangly and gross. After the wallaby has been in the pouch for a bit, and furred out, its every bit as cute as any other cute wittle baby head sticking out of mommas pouch.

Unless the O.P. really likes newly hatched lizards, or caterpillars, or routinely cuddles fish fry with their yolks still attached.

Hrm. Seems we really like down and fur. Now I wonder why that is. The lanugo I mentioned doesn't make human babies cuddly -- it kinda freaks people out a bit. Why do we like furry? Maybe we don't like to be cold, and we like the feel of fur, and we just transfer the like to cuddling?
  #7  
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 5,563
There was a recent study that claimed to show that (doggie) puppies reach peak cuteness at 6-8 weeks. The authors hypothesized that this might be adaptive, since this is weaning age, when mom is kicking the pups out to fend for themselves, so this is the age when human help might be most beneficial.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ess-to-humans/
Quote:
...according to some estimates, more than 80 percent of puppies die in the first year of life without human care.
But the causal relationship is a bit of an evolutionary "just so" story, I can't imagine how you would test it rigorously. And obviously the young of many non-domesticated species are equally cute, so it could easily just be coincidence.

Last edited by Riemann; 09-07-2018 at 02:17 PM.
  #8  
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 40,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
But the causal relationship is a bit of an evolutionary "just so" story, I can't imagine how you would test it rigorously. And obviously the young of many non-domesticated species are equally cute, so it could easily just be coincidence.
The article actually suggests a rather easy way to disprove it. Just do similar tests on the pups of wolves and other wild canids. The article says that wolves care for their cubs for up to two years, while domestic dogs abandon puppies after a few weeks. If wolf cubs reach peak cuteness at a similar time as puppies despite differences in parental care, it would tend to refute the hypothesis. Likewise one could look at cuteness in the pups of other wild canids relative to when they are on their own.

Obviously, domestic dogs would never have evolved if they had had that kind of mortality rate of puppies before they were cared for by humans. So the fact that female dogs abandon their puppies is a consequence of the fact that they routinely receive care by humans.
  #9  
Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM
senoy senoy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
Exactly. The O.P. really meant mammals only, and maybe chickens. And even only some animals: newborn rabbits are nude, newborn hares are furry. Chicks are fuzzy and cute, naked songbirds are gangly and gross. After the wallaby has been in the pouch for a bit, and furred out, its every bit as cute as any other cute wittle baby head sticking out of mommas pouch.

Unless the O.P. really likes newly hatched lizards, or caterpillars, or routinely cuddles fish fry with their yolks still attached.

Hrm. Seems we really like down and fur. Now I wonder why that is. The lanugo I mentioned doesn't make human babies cuddly -- it kinda freaks people out a bit. Why do we like furry? Maybe we don't like to be cold, and we like the feel of fur, and we just transfer the like to cuddling?
I think that many people find baby reptiles cute. Baby alligators and turtles and lizards. I think that even some baby snakes are cute. Baby fish not so much, but I think that lots of people like even naked baby birds like robins in the nest. Much more so after they get down, but I think plenty of people think baby birds are cute. As for wallabies, after they get hair, only a monster would think they aren't cute and I would wager that quite a few people would find them cute in their hairless form as well.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...16522ec7fb7d83

Last edited by senoy; 09-07-2018 at 02:48 PM.
  #10  
Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The article actually suggests a rather easy way to disprove it. Just do similar tests on the pups of wolves and other wild canids. The article says that wolves care for their cubs for up to two years, while domestic dogs abandon puppies after a few weeks. If wolf cubs reach peak cuteness at a similar time as puppies despite differences in parental care, it would tend to refute the hypothesis. Likewise one could look at cuteness in the pups of other wild canids relative to when they are on their own.
My first thought was that it would be difficult to untangle the proposed mechanism of natural selection from artificial selection, since we breed for neoteny. But on reflection, drawing any distinction between "natural" and "artificial" selection in an animal that coevolves with humans is arbitrary. There's no functional difference between selecting an attractive feral puppy to adopt and selecting from a breeder's litter.
  #11  
Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,594
Also, since humans have been dependent on domesticated animals for a very long time, our "cute, must care for it" standard has probably evolved to be a lot looser than it used to be. Humans who cared about animals enough to raise and domesticate them have had a large advantage for most of human history.
  #12  
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 45,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Baby animals aren’t universally cute.

This baby wallaby is nightmare fuel to me.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BCAPWW/a-v...ket-BCAPWW.jpg
Awww....what a cutie pie! To me, it's the vulnerability that contributes to the "cuteness." It triggers some sort of protective instinct.

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-07-2018 at 06:21 PM.
  #13  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 PM
mandala's Avatar
mandala mandala is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 459
I think our brains are hardwired to be protective of babies, and this instinct naturally extends to life we are very accustomed to and that share our spaces or immediate surroundings - plants, cats, dogs, birds. The instinct becomes weaker in the case of critters we usually associate with pestilence (rats) or physical danger (snakes), and disappears altogether as we become genetically far removed from them (insects). I don't find baby insects of any sort attractive.

I think many people have overcome such instincts and learned to love critters nature tells us are unattractive or dangerous; power to them.
  #14  
Old 09-08-2018, 02:02 PM
dstarfire dstarfire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA; USA
Posts: 1,444
I'm not sure the 'looks like a human baby' recipe for cuteness works since there's a lot of people who think puppies, kittens, ducklings, etc. are cute that don't find babies cute. Here's Dara O'Briain doing a quick audience survey on the issue: https://youtu.be/nxVFzLUWLl8.
__________________
Dion Starfire, grammar atheist.
  #15  
Old 09-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
I'm not sure the 'looks like a human baby' recipe for cuteness works since there's a lot of people who think puppies, kittens, ducklings, etc. are cute that don't find babies cute.
Yup, I'd be among them. I'd say my reaction to human babies is fairly neutral, whereas I have a visceral cuteness reaction to kittens etc. I think human kids come closer to eliciting a similar cuteness reaction when they are a bit older maybe, but still not as strong.

Last edited by Riemann; 09-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017