Old 09-08-2018, 03:17 PM

This grocery employee really loves her deli meat.

I've suspect this happens a lot in the food service industry. The people in the produce department probably eat a few grapes or an apple for a snack. It's pilfering but not that unexpected. Supervisors should catch this pretty quickly and take action.

Early reports indicate charges were filed. Glad that's incorrect. The store should have caught this employee years ago and put an end to the snacking.

She must really love ham. I'd get tired of it after the first month.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.canto...emplate=ampart
Quote:
The Giant Eagle loss prevention manager received a tip that the employee had been nibbling on the meat at the deli, eating about three to five slices of ham nearly every day over a space of eight years, Hale said. She occasionally ate salami.

The loss prevention manager calculated that the ham that had been eaten was worth about $9,200, Hale said.

"She was very cooperative," the deputy said.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:28 PM

I must admit this loss prevention officer reminds me of Officer Kirk on Happy Days.

Especially the way he/she so carefully calculated to the penny the value of 8 years of snacking.

A firm chewing out by the employee's supervisor would probably be sufficient. Termination if it continues.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM

At that price, she must have liked the good stuff!

Maybe she was just sampling it. To make sure it was okay to serve?

Last edited by harmonicamoon; 09-08-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:36 PM

I worked in the supermarket as a kid and, it did seem par for the course.

Some places are quite mellow about sampling, and other times one manager or another can be pretty harsh. This is loss, or shrink as it was called, which includes things that aren't sold, or spoil or have a damaged package. Bit unfair to do it and say, "Just this once..." then cause lots of loss.

Taking the efficiency guy at face value, I calculate USD $4.60 per day (assuming 50 week work year, and 5 day work week, YMMV.) I generally spent about 5 bucks for lunch, so, yeah, seems about right.

That's awful lot of salted meat to eat with no bread or topping. But I'd seen worse -- one day a worker ran into my produce backroom, he was ducking the supervisor, as he quickly made a Wonder bread and ketchup sandwich to wolf down. I was warming up to say, "Uh ... don't steal, don't make me complicit, and what the hell man, steal something good, at least" when the supervisor came in.

"Hey, unload the delivery. Just ... jus... take the sandwich, I don't care, but unload the truck."

Some working people don't have money left over for food. Or time to cook after their commute. Some people may not have the space, in their place of residence. I knew a guy who slept on some families couch. He was allowed to keep soda in their fridge -- but nothing else. No food was provided for him. He wasn't allowed to cook there, all his eating was out. I don't know what his bathroom privileges were like, but probably the minimum as well.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

...$9,200...
For a full time employee over 8 years, that's about 50 cents of ham an hour. Not the crime of the century.

ETA: ninjaed by Arkcon on the calculation

Last edited by Riemann; 09-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:43 PM

I suspect the store was pretty relaxed about snacking. That would explain how this employee did it for so many years.

Maybe the store got sold? New management comes, wants to show their authority. Now they crack down.

<shrug> that's life at a job.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Its easy to tell yourself "It's just me, a few pieces of ham, a bruised apple, why not?"If every employee did that, just think of the cost. OTOH, stuff that would otherwise get thrown out, I see no reason not to give it to employees or soup kitchens.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
OTOH, stuff that would otherwise get thrown out, I see no reason not to give it to employees or soup kitchens.
In practice, you can only do the latter unless there's some strict way to police it, otherwise stuff that employees want to take home would just tend to remain unsold and find its way into the "stuff to be thrown out" pile.

Last edited by Riemann; 09-08-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:02 PM

I worked as a grocery store night crew stock person many years ago. You want to see food revenue lost? Lock a group of 20-year-old guys in a (closed) grocery store for 8 hours.

Management knew there would be some, er, snacking, so there was an envelope where we would leave money every morning for the food we consumed during the previous night. Most guys put in a dollar or so.

mmm
Old 09-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Its easy to tell yourself "It's just me, a few pieces of ham, a bruised apple, why not?"If every employee did that, just think of the cost. OTOH, stuff that would otherwise get thrown out, I see no reason not to give it to employees or soup kitchens.
Just think of the cost? I'm thinking...

Well, lets say it's $8 a lb. And each slice is an ounce. (Both estimates are more than a bit high.) That means that over the course of her shift, she consumed $1 to $1.50 worth at the retail price. Given that the store is not paying retail price, that is for customers, it would be less, but we'll stick with using price for shrinkage calculations, rather than cost.

So, we are looking at something like $0.12 to $0.17 an hour.

If every employee did that, then it would be $0.12 to $0.17 an hour, times the number of employees they have.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like they got a new manager with a serious case of newmanagerititis.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 PM

Math doesn't add up to me. Story says 3-5 slices a day. Then people are doing math to figure out how many slices she ate - Why? I know what ham costs at Giant Eagle. While it's more expensive than Kroger, Aldi, Walmart, Target, and Meijer, it's not THAT expensive.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Then people are doing math...- Why?
Because it seemed like the "loss prevention manager" was trying to make this sound like major theft by valuing it at $9k. Spread over 8 years, it's minor pilfering of lunch, it's not as though she was stealing cases of the stuff and selling it in the parking lot to support her crack habit.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

My first job with a tax return was at a grocery store. On my first day, I saw a guy take a lighter out of a package, light his cigarette, then put it back in the package. The grocery manager saw it, and fired him. He got fired for less than a penny's worth of butane. They figured that if you were going to steal something small, you'd eventually steal something larger, and took shrinkage very seriously.

As far as the cost of the ham this lady was eating, I calculate it to be something between $1.30 and $.80 a slice. Either those were large slices, or she was eating really expensive ham
Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM

This is ridiculous. I frequently shop at Market District which is the top level of the Giant Eagle chain. Every time I buy deli meats there they ask me how thick I want it sliced, show it to me and give me the first slice. There have been times I've bought several different meats and they give me a slice of each. I can leave the deli counter full, and I see them do this to every other customer. How can they possibly care if they give away 3 slices a day to one of the workers? Sounds like an overly zealous loss manager.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM

Looking for any updates to the story, looks like it was referred to the prosecutor to decide whether charges were to be filed.

Quote:
Tuscarawas County Sheriff Orvis Campbell said in a statement that only a report was issued at the request of the store and no arrest was made. It was referred to the prosecutor's office to decide what charges, if any, would follow.
Although, I did find this version of the story to be most enlightening.

Quote:
As investigations proceed, no prices have been laid as of September 8.

“Whereas our workplace did take a report of the difficulty as requested by the shop, no willpower of prices has been made,” Sheriff Orvis Campbell mentioned in a Fb launch.
How many languages was that translated through?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Math doesn't add up to me. Story says 3-5 slices a day. Then people are doing math to figure out how many slices she ate - Why? I know what ham costs at Giant Eagle. While it's more expensive than Kroger, Aldi, Walmart, Target, and Meijer, it's not THAT expensive.

There's ham and then there's ham. At the grocery store there is plain old boiled sliced ham for $3.99 a pound and then there are at least half a dozen different varieties - maple ham, tuscan ham, herb infused ham, etc. going up to $8 or more a pound.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Huh. I worked in a supermarket deli during high school. The supervisor encouraged us to try all the meats and cheeses, and had no problem with snarfing a slice or two during a regular shift, in fact encouraged it, within reason. (Deli slices are usually sliced quite thin.) You can't describe the differences to customers between the 20 varieties of ham, turkey ham, boiled ham, baked ham, honey ham, black forest ham, etc, otherwise. You do ordinarily get pretty sick of the food quickly. I doubt there are many food-service jobs where sampling/snacking isn't a thing. It's hard to fight human nature; easier to put reasonable limits on it.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM

I've heard a lot of the small hamburger places would let employees have a free burger and Coke.

Knowing they'd be thrilled the first week or two. Then quickly lose any appetite for food they were around day after day.

I couldn't snack on ham every work day for 8 years. That's too much of a good thing.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Am I the only one who read the thread title as if it were a double entendre?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've heard a lot of the small hamburger places would let employees have a free burger and Coke.

Knowing they'd be thrilled the first week or two. Then quickly lose any appetite for food they were around day after day.
There's unlimited free sodas for workers at the local Coke distribution warehouse but the cans have to be unworthy of leaving the warehouse (i.e.: dented or not completely full).
Old 09-09-2018, 07:19 PM

OMG, where to start. Let's do the math. 8 years of a store security officer would be $50K a year with benefits or $400,000. As pointed out above the deli workers give away a free slice to every customer for every selection and then some if the customer wants to try something. on top of that they sample out various products every day to the tune of many lbs of product. In addition to that they throw away the ends of all those meats because they can't slice it. On top of that they throw away all the heated items after so many hours. the amount of edible items hitting the trash is substantial. Many pounds of meat goes into the trash can each shift. The cooks would often sample stuff out to the staff because we had to work extra hard for their mini events with no compensation.

I had the misfortune of working at a Deli when I was between good jobs. I've dug ditches before and greatly prefer that to working a deli counter. I would be there for 2 hrs and swear it was 4 even though we were busy which usually makes time go by faster. I would do my level best to find myself in the back washing dishes.

It was a low paying job with high turn-over. They had no room for being picky when hiring even when the economy was down. Many people quit after a week.

$9,000 over 8 years is what the store would have given out to the employees anyway (as samples) because they tend to shop at the store they work in for convenience.

A mind-numbing exercise in stupidity by management.

Last edited by Magiver; 09-09-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post

Although, I did find this version of the story to be most enlightening.

I liked the "work of ham" myself. I can see a soaring sculpture, beautiful to behold...made of ham.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
It's hard to fight human nature; easier to put reasonable limits on it.
Back in the Stone Age, when I worked in fast food, the chain offered a pretty generous employee discount, say 50%, instead of free food. I think that's a reasonable limit.

Same thing at a chain drugstore, employees received a discount of "cost plus 10", which meant the store's cost of the product encoded on the price label, plus an increase of 10%. Also very reasonable.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 PM

I worked at a couple of restaurants in the '80s, both gave me and my coworkers free meals (cheaper ones - a burger or chili, not steak or shrimp) which was appreciated, and seemed like sensible policy - I was well fed while working, and not motivated to figure out a way to steal food (which probably would have been easy enough) if I were the sort of person inclined to go that way.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
My guess is from English to one other language and back again.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
In addition to that they throw away the ends of all those meats because they can't slice it.
At our store the ends are, to the extent possible, converted to things like ham salad and chicken salad to cut down on waste.

Quote:
On top of that they throw away all the heated items after so many hours. the amount of edible items hitting the trash is substantial.
Before that point my store cools them down and sells them cold, again, to cut down on waste. Once they're wrapped, labeled, and cold they can be purchased with food stamps and get snatched up VERY quickly. We have people who know when these packages are set out and are waiting for them, so some of them are on the shelf only minutes before purchase.

Quote:
It was a low paying job with high turn-over. They had no room for being picky when hiring even when the economy was down. Many people quit after a week.
That's true of a lot of retail work.

Quote:
A mind-numbing exercise in stupidity by management.
Yes and no. Yes, we know a bit of stuff gets eaten. No, because it can really add up over time. Which is why my store had a store director fired a few years ago for stealing food, much less the deli workers.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:31 AM

There's a big difference between giving customers free samples (hopefully leading to increased business - including 'word of mouth' recommendations) and having employees eat the stuff (especially if customers see them doing it.)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
During the two days police investigated, loss prevention reported a huge jump in bakery losses, represented primarily in donut loss.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Brings forth memories of the ham incident.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I worked at a couple of restaurants in the '80s, both gave me and my coworkers free meals (cheaper ones - a burger or chili, not steak or shrimp) which was appreciated, and seemed like sensible policy - I was well fed while working, and not motivated to figure out a way to steal food (which probably would have been easy enough) if I were the sort of person inclined to go that way.
I worked at a Chili's once upon a time as a busboy, and they didn't care if we (busboys/wait staff) had fountain sodas or tea stashed away in the back, or if we kept a basket of chips/salsa handy for snacking.

Now my other racket probably wasn't sanctioned- I'd give the bakery driver a coke in a to-go cup every morning, and he'd give me a couple of packages of still-warm from the bakery little chocolate or little powdered sugar donuts.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:29 AM

When I worked at a local deli the policy was free food on the job, and even perhaps 1/2 lb of cuts to bring home. This is when I was in high school and getting paid min wage, so a nice benefit as back then buying a sandwich would cost more then a hour's labor (and I can make it how I wanted). But one thing they didn't like was me eating the cashews, it seems like that was a expensive product, and the owner got a bug up his butt about that one item - no biggie, and another 1/2 lb of roast beaf to take home instead of that $0.99 pack of cashews, go figure.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
OMG, where to start. Let's do the math. 8 years of a store security officer would be $50K a year with benefits or $400,000.
While I accept that there is a need to scout for real honest-to-god stealing, etc., comparing the cost of paying $x10 for someone to watch over the staff for snacking on $x1 doesn't make economic sense.

Reminds me a of an office I worked in once - there was a junior doofus who didn't have much to do. And there was a senior doofus who oversaw the junior doofus, among otheres. Once the senior doofus came up to report, "I watched junior doofus all day and all he did was shuffle paper!" To which I replied, "And all you did was watch junior doofus!"
Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
When I worked at a local deli the policy was free food on the job, and even perhaps 1/2 lb of cuts to bring home. This is when I was in high school and getting paid min wage, so a nice benefit as back then buying a sandwich would cost more then a hour's labor (and I can make it how I wanted). But one thing they didn't like was me eating the cashews, it seems like that was a expensive product, and the owner got a bug up his butt about that one item - no biggie, and another 1/2 lb of roast beaf to take home instead of that $0.99 pack of cashews, go figure.
It's not the $0.99 pack that was the issue. On a per pound basis, cashews are usually more expensive than deli meats.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I couldn't snack on ham every work day for 8 years. That's too much of a good thing.
My second high school job was at Chick-fil-A. We were permitted a full meal - sandwich or nuggets, fries, a drink, and ice cream - at the start of every shift.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM

McD's offered a sandwich if you worked a full shift when I was there in the stone ages before the most recent stone ages.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
At our store the ends are, to the extent possible, converted to things like ham salad and chicken salad to cut down on waste.

Before that point my store cools them down and sells them cold, again, to cut down on waste. Once they're wrapped, labeled, and cold they can be purchased with food stamps and get snatched up VERY quickly. We have people who know when these packages are set out and are waiting for them, so some of them are on the shelf only minutes before purchase.

Yes and no. Yes, we know a bit of stuff gets eaten. No, because it can really add up over time. Which is why my store had a store director fired a few years ago for stealing food, much less the deli workers.
Eating the items going into the trash is not stealing. It adds up to nothing. It's great that your store took almost expired meat and repackaged it and it benefited people on a budget. That's a great idea. The store I worked for didn't do that. Everything put out for sale started as a fresh item. The exception was ham. If it was within date we would cook up the ends with green beans and serve it on hot items line.

We sampled food all the time. We did it in front of the manager. We also bought the items we liked just as if we were human beings shopping at the store. And by sampling everything we were able to better sell it to customers. "if you like that try THIS". "It goes really good with THAT". "Oh and we have some artesian crackers that are super with that cheese."

It was just good business.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Eating the items going into the trash is not stealing. It adds up to nothing. It's great that your store took almost expired meat and repackaged it and it benefited people on a budget. That's a great idea. The store I worked for didn't do that. Everything put out for sale started as a fresh item. The exception was ham. If it was within date we would cook up the ends with green beans and serve it on the hot items line that day.

We sampled food all the time. We did it in front of the manager. We also bought the items we liked just as if we were human beings shopping at the store. And by sampling everything we were able to better sell it to customers. "if you like that try THIS". "It goes really good with THAT". "Oh and we have some artesian crackers that are super with that cheese."

It was just good business.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 PM

in 5th grade we went on a series of field trips and one was to a Safeway bakery and when we asked she said if you worked in specifically the bakery you got al you wanted for free

which was heaven for the first year until it was the same thing every year ...shed been there 13 years and just the smell made her ill sometimes us kids couldn't think you could get tired of free cookies cakes ect ….

they said the same thing when we went to sees candies ….although they said they did try the new stuff and holiday candy but the everyday stuff got tiresome after a month or two …..
Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 PM

If I worked there, I'da put them into bankruptcy behind my Prosciutto consumption.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Am I the only one who read the thread title as if it were a double entendre?
No. I was bracing myself to read that there had been highly inappropriate use of salami and was just hoping that it wouldn't turn out that the salami had been sold to unsuspecting customers afterwards. The fact that we're only talking about a little snack pilfering renews my faith in the basic integrity and hygiene consciousness of grocery employees in general.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 PM

Working at a local cineplex in the mid-late 80s, normal privileges included free popcorn and fountain drinks as long as we used our own containers/cups. The cinema's popcorn buckets, cups and other food items (hot dogs, nachos, candy, etc.) were counted as part of inventory.

A co-worker showed me a scheme to get free hot dogs. When a customer ordered a large drink ($3.50), he would ring it up at the register as a hot dog ($3.00). He wasn't over-charging the customer, and most would not complain about the "accidental" cheaper price. So inventory at that point would have 1 missing cup (the cup the customer took) and 1 extra hot dog remaining on the grill (that was supposedly sold according to the register). Later in his shift, while cleaning up a theater hall, he would take an empty large cup left behind, rinse it out and stuff it back into the cups area of the concession stand to even out the cup inventory. Finally, he would take that extra hot dog on the grill for himself to the break room.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 AM

I worked for several years on 3ed shift for a local c-store chain. I ate all night long as long as it wasn't prepackaged foods. Make my own sub? Yep! Hot Dogs, sausage, and uglies (burger dogs)? Sure! Chicken salad? Check! Nachos, ice cream, coffee, soda, corn dogs, cakes, breads, and even fudge. I probably ate 2/3 of my salary per week.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 AM

When I cooked in a restaurant I saw a busboy wheel his cart past the trash area where he'd scrape of the heavy stuff, then wheel his cart over to the dishwasher. He had a spot where he stopped and crammed food in his mouth.

He saw that I'd seen his routine and explained after work that he only ate untouched food. He ate one meal a day, at work. He came in to work starving and left after his shift bloated.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM

When I worked in food service in high school and college, I ate like a King! One place I worked specialized in very high-end steaks. Rib-Eyes, Porterhouse, New York's.

Good eatin', let me tell you!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common English Bible
Deuteronomy 25:4 Don't muzzle an ox while it is threshing grain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIV
For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned?
Yes, I've got a religious opinion, and yes, I was brought up that way.

Quote:
Which is why my store had a store director fired a few years ago for stealing food, much less the deli workers.
That's a supervisor, not a worker. With great power goes great responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
On my first day, I saw a guy take a lighter out of a package, light his cigarette, then put it back in the package. The grocery manager saw it, and fired him.
That's a second-hand used item going back into stock. Companies get shut down for that kind of behavior.

We also had a staff member fired for stealing sandwich fillings. She was bringing in her own bread, making sandwiches with her own bread as well as company bread, selling the sandwiches made from her own bread for cash, and only reporting sandwich sales to match the amount of company bread supplied. And she'd been doing it for a while.

I fully understand that there are limits, and that stock shrinkage is a real cost. So are wages: when you hire employees you accept obligations to those employees, including paying wages and acceptable stock losses.

Last edited by Melbourne; 09-11-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
We also had a staff member fired for stealing sandwich fillings. She was bringing in her own bread, making sandwiches with her own bread as well as company bread, selling the sandwiches made from her own bread for cash, and only reporting sandwich sales to match the amount of company bread supplied. And she'd been doing it for a while.
Ohhh! This reminds me of this place I used to have lunch at a shitty job. It was the deli inside a supermarket. I'd order a sandwich, and the gal would say, "What kind of bread?", and I'd say, "Russian Rye". They didn't have that, so she said, "Just go grab some off the shelf".

Same with the horseradish, Lowry's seasoned salt, avocado, red onion- whatever I wanted, but it was all legit! The store inventory was on the menu!

Totally custom-made sandwich, far cheaper and better than anything else around. Loved that place for lunch, but hated that job. Didn't eat as well after quitting.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Its easy to tell yourself "It's just me, a few pieces of ham, a bruised apple, why not?"If every employee did that, just think of the cost.
I have no opinion on this particular issue, but I disagree with this way of looking at this. We don't take an issue and imagine that every single person does it; we estimate regarding how many people are likely to do it.

For example if we set a 70mph speed limit on the interstate, we don't imagine what would happen if every single car in the United States decided to drive on that stretch of road at a particular time and decide that 70mph is far too fast.

We determine the likely number of cars on the road at a particular time and try to arrive at a limit that way.

Likewise, we should not assume that every deli employee would eat ham, let alone even likes ham, and eat it every hour of every shift.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post

That's a second-hand used item going back into stock. Companies get shut down for that kind of behavior.
You really think he would have kept his job if he hadn't returned the lighter to the package?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Likewise, we should not assume that every deli employee would eat ham, let alone even likes ham, and eat it every hour of every shift.
Have you ever looked at a deli employee; I mean, really looked?

I have, and it's ham all the way down.