Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Dog swallowed boiled chicken thigh, what now/next? NEED Answer/Talking Down FAST!

Oy what a New Year.

Cleaning up after terrific dinner, prayers. Chicken soup, servings of chicken, etc etc from the pot. One slipped to the floor, I yell, he dashes off to his safe space for (our bedroom) leaving me with a tuft of back fur only, by the time I get down the hall he's swallowed it. Boom. No chewing.

He's a big Golden.

Now I don't let him out of my sight. The only silver lining I can think of he didn't chomp on it so there aren't shards. But that bone is big.

Please tell me something helpful, even if it's calm down and wait...
Old 09-09-2018, 08:45 PM

I didn't know you were Ethiopian.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Is he in distress? If not, don't worry. Just watch him for the evening. If you are still concerned tomorrow take him to the vet.

Is he breathing OK ?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

BTW your writing is MUCH clearer when you need it to be.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 PM

He’ll be fine.
And thank you for a great start to the new year.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Well, tried two vets, couldn't get through, but talked to my friend, his breeder (and Golden breeder for 40 years).

Told me to calm the hell down, dogs eat animals all the time, it'll dissolve-ish in his doggie stomach acids. Having said that, she wouldn't recommend her Goldens eating chickens and raccoons as a habit, but since the thing was boiled already and he didn't shard it up it's OK, and just keep an eye on him.

Still interested in my SD brethren's comments (although WTF Ambivalid is on about I have no clue, and hope it is well meant...)
Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Well, tried two vets, couldn't get through, but talked to my friend, his breeder (and Golden breeder for 40 years).

Told me to calm the hell down, dogs eat animals all the time, it'll dissolve-ish in his doggie stomach acids. Having said that, she wouldn't recommend her Goldens eating chickens and raccoons as a habit, but since the thing was boiled already and he didn't shard it up it's OK, and just keep an eye on him.

Still interested in my SD brethren's comments (although WTF Ambivalid is on about I have no clue, and hope it is well meant...)
I just didn't know what "new year" it could possibly be besides maybe the Ethiopian New Year. ?

Last edited by Ambivalid; 09-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Isn't the issue with dogs eating cooked bones the following: they splinter when chewed up? If the dog swallowed it whole, that will probably not be an issue. I'd keep an eye on the dog for the next couple of days, and definitely call the vet in the morning.

There's also 1-800-222-1222, aka Poison Control, and they get more calls about pets than they do about people.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I just didn't know what "new year" it could possibly be besides maybe the Ethiopian New Year. ?
The Jewish New Year.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Not only is it not an issue, boiled chicken (with rice IIRC) is the 'bland diet' for dogs that are sick.
He'll be fine.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Dogs generally shouldn't swallow bones. Bones that are splintered can cause perforations and other nastiness. Larger pieces can cause impactions.

All that said, if he didn't splinter it, he'll probably just throw it up. My dogs have done that when they've gotten a hold of larger chunks of things they shouldn't have.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Not only is it not an issue, boiled chicken (with rice IIRC) is the 'bland diet' for dogs that are sick.
He'll be fine.
The fear is the cooked bones and splintering, as mentioned above. My 70 lb dog has eaten cooked chicken thighs and legs several times without any incident. Donít feed him that, but youíre most likely okay,
Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Mod Hat On

Regardless if your ignorance of what New Year he was referring to, responding to a clearly upset poster like this is a shitty thing to do. Especially as the very first response.

No warning issued, because I’m giving you a shred of benefit of the doubt that you were trying to be light-hearted. However, think twice before using someone else’s worry as your joke fodder.

And yes, it’s Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year (one of the high holy days).

Quote:
I didn't know you were Ethiopian.
Quote:

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 09-09-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Dog swallowed boiled chicken thigh, what now/next? NEED Answer/Talking Down FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Oy what a New Year.

Cleaning up after terrific dinner, prayers. Chicken soup, servings of chicken, etc etc from the pot. One slipped to the floor, I yell, he dashes off to his safe space for (our bedroom) leaving me with a tuft of back fur only, by the time I get down the hall he's swallowed it. Boom. No chewing.

He's a big Golden.

Now I don't let him out of my sight. The only silver lining I can think of he didn't chomp on it so there aren't shards. But that bone is big.

Please tell me something helpful, even if it's calm down and wait...

Our dog recently got into some cooked bones and had a bout of diarrhea and vomiting that lasted a few days. She was fine, but it was messy and scary.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 09-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10 PM

I think your dog will be fine. If it didn't choke on that hunk it will probably go on through. Your breeder was right. Calm down and just watch.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Keep an ear out for hork-horks. A big indigestible(ish) lump like a thigh bone would make my dogs spew in short order. Or probably in the middle of the night... My dogs are a bit smaller though, maybe yours can get through it

L'shana tovah!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 PM

Another voice of comfort to say your dog will probably be fine. Decades ago my mother's dog (a Lhasa Apso, so a lot smaller than your Golden) pulled the same stunt at about 10pm on a Saturday night while she was hosting a party, in a rural town - meaning vet care was out of the question for the next 36 hours or so. My mother was horrified and panicked, but by Monday morning it was clear the dog was going to be just fine.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 PM

In people, swallowed bones can get stuck in the esophagus (food pipe) or trachea (windpipe) causing drooling and swallowing difficulties, or breathing problems respectively.

If the bone gets to the stomach into the intestine, it may well pass. I would stay calm, but keep an eye that your dog doesn’t seem to be in pain, which might suggest a bowel obstruction. This is unlikely, but would have symptoms like bloating, pain, constipation and not passing gas. Many dogs will vomit big bones that don’t clear the stomach.

Chances are the dog will be fine.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:06 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
He'll be fine.
Boneless, skinless boiled chicken, dude.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Happy Jewish New Year 5779, Ambivalid!

Since sundown on September 9 it's Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 AM

We've been spending the last 24 hours trying to get a horse through a bought of colic. I'd happily trade for a dog swallowing a cooked chicken thigh bone. Monitor for vomiting/diarrhea. Your vet might advise several small, high fiber meals.

L'chaim!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 AM

I have owned dogs in multiples for forty years. What they have eaten without any apparent effects would fill a book (a pretty boring book). I once had a dog eat a couple quarts of boiled chicken bones and vegetables (we'd just made a lot of broth), INCLUDING the plastic bag. She pooped out the bag eventually. I had a 30 lb dog who ate five pounds of flour. Pooped white for awhile. The most consequential ingestion was a corgi who got an acorn stuck in his intestines and started projectile vomiting. $4000 to get it out. We referred to that acorn as "Our European Vacation".

Boiled chicken bones are unlikely to splinter and perforate the digestive tract, which is the worry with bones. They are soft.

Happy New Year!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 AM

The dog may just digest the bone - a chicken thigh bone is pretty soft and porous, and dogs have powerful stomach acids - don't be too surprised if it doesn't 'pass' in any sort of recognisable, bone-shaped form at all.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 AM
Nope! I said stop!

How’s the puppeleh this morning, Leo?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 AM

I would feed my dogs raw chicken bones and all on a regular basis. Good sized to medium sized dogs it is no problem. They digest the majority of the bone. Some can be seen in the poop but it is harmless to a dog.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

The previous posts have pretty much summed up the extent of the risks. Don't panic, there is only a tiny chance of injury.

I just want to add that dogs have been eating bones since the dawn of canid time, and dog owners with disposable income is the only reason we now think they shouldn't eat them. Up until the late 1960s(give or take) it was still common to feed dogs all table scraps, including bones, either as a supplement to or instead of, store-bought dog food.

In Ambivalid's defense, I just googled "New Year Starting This Week" and the Jewish New Year was first mentioned in hit #6. Four and five were about planning New Year's parties, and the first three were, yup, about Ethiopia
Old 09-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC View Post
I would feed my dogs raw chicken bones and all on a regular basis. Good sized to medium sized dogs it is no problem. They digest the majority of the bone. Some can be seen in the poop but it is harmless to a dog.
Raw bones are considered safer than cooked bones for consumption.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
But bird bones are largely hollow and thin-walled (saves on weight for flight) so are ideally avoided.

I feed my dogs canned "wing-a-ling" by Merrick, a canned food that contains chicken wings that are pressure-cooker cooked. I still am a little uncomfortable watching them eat these soft bones.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I thought it was the other way around. Cooked bones are softer. Hmmm? This why people freak out about things. Info is hard to get straight.
Has Leo posted about the doggy today?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM

Cooked as in roasted / grilled bird bones are considered unsafe as they get quite splintery, hard, and sharp. Boiled or are often considered safe, as are raw bones. FWIW when we get a turkey or a duck, the dog gets the neck, which involves much gleeful chowing, horking, rechowing and Labrador happiness.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Regardless if your ignorance of what New Year he was referring to, responding to a clearly upset poster like this is a shitty thing to do. Especially as the very first response.

No warning issued, because Iím giving you a shred of benefit of the doubt that you were trying to be light-hearted. However, think twice before using someone elseís worry as your joke fodder.

And yes, itís Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year (one of the high holy days).
Geez, thanks for the "shred" of a benefit. I posted what i did only because I had no clue what New Year he could possibly mean. I certainly had zero intention of being shitty. At most, in hindsight I can see I was being a little insensitive or tone-deaf. I apologize to Leo for that.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM

I would also recommend discouraging lots of running and jumping and generally being a golden. You don't want his stomach to flip around.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Happy new year, Leo! And remember what the wise man said: גם זה יעבור.

This, too, shall pass.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Mod Hat On

Quote:
Geez, thanks for the "shred" of a benefit. I posted what i did only because I had no clue what New Year he could possibly mean. I certainly had zero intention of being shitty. At most, in hindsight I can see I was being a little insensitive or tone-deaf. I apologize to Leo for that.
Wait, so you can see that it was being a little shitty, but somehow my giving you some benefit of the doubt was a bad thing?

And for the record, I was not mod-noting you for not know about a holiday. I was modding you for making a joke to someone who was obviously in distress. Your confusion doesnít ok you turning his plea for help into a chance to make your tone deaf joke.

Any further discussion should be by PM start a ATMB thread.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 09-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 PM

An ex-GF's dog once got into an aluminum takeout container in the trash which contained the detritus from an order of a dozen buffalo wings - the bones, the excess hot sauce, etc. - it was completely shiny and spotless, the dog ate/licked every last bit (she was fine.)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Applicable Far Side Cartoon
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDvtzEOV0AArDye.jpg:large
Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
And raw bones are part of their natural diet (cats too). COOKED bones are not.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precambrianmollusc View Post
Boiled or are often considered safe, as are raw bones.
Ive always been told boiled is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
And raw bones are part of their natural diet (cats too). COOKED bones are not.
So what? What's so good about "natural"? Natural =/ healthy.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 09-10-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:38 AM

The bad thing about raw beef bones (besides bacterial concerns) is that they are so hard they can fracture teeth, especially the premolars.

There are plenty of safe chew items for dogs. IMHO bones are best skipped.

Last night I roasted a chicken for our dinner. I cooked the heart, gizzard, liver, and neck for the dogs. I actually disarticulated the neck and picked off the majority of the meat. Overkill, but hey.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 AM

In a traditionally dressed chicken the thigh contains only the femur, no? That's a pretty straight bone with smooth ends, and as Leo's dog swallowed it whole wouldn't it pass out of one orifice or the other fairly easily?

I guess a drumstick would have been more worrisome with its nasty, pointy fibula.

Anyway, hope your dog got through this OK, Leo.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM
this space left blank
Charter Member

Quote:
So what? What's so good about "natural"? Natural =/ healthy.
I don't see where anybody said it was healthy.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM

For larger dogs (40 lb or more) the idea that they can't eat chicken bones is largely a myth. The danger of splintering/perforation is mostly with small dogs.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The bad thing about raw beef bones (besides bacterial concerns) is that they are so hard they can fracture teeth, especially the premolars.

There are plenty of safe chew items for dogs. IMHO bones are best skipped.
Yep, that's why one of my dogs had a $1000 tooth extraction. Cracked tooth from eating beef bones. So no more bones for either dog.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
In a traditionally dressed chicken the thigh contains only the femur, no?
That's not true for the chicken parts I buy. They always contain part of the pelvis when I buy them. Might be a regional preference here in the central U.S.