Old 09-10-2018, 04:11 PM

What's the deal with Jews and color names?

Silver, Gold, Brown, Black, Green, Diamond for instance a often indicators of Jewish ancestry. Why is that? And how long has that been a trend as opposed to older Middle Eastern traditions of being identified by whom you are related to: Son of... Father of... Mother of... ?
Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Most of those names were given to them by Gentiles. They are not Hebrew names like Cohen and Levi. Some (the ones with "gold" in them) were fully intended to be ironic and insulting.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Silver, Gold, Brown, Black, Green, Diamond for instance a often indicators of Jewish ancestry. Why is that? And how long has that been a trend as opposed to older Middle Eastern traditions of being identified by whom you are related to: Son of... Father of... Mother of... ?
Ashkenazi Jewish surnames date back to the 18th or 19th Centuries, and were imposed on them by the European powers of the time (before that, they were mostly "son of" and so on). Gold, Silver and Diamond are all professional names, originally given to jewelers and metalworkers (some may have been given ironically). Brown and Black aren't usually associated with Jews, IMHO - they both sound very WASPy to me. Green, I don't know.

Last edited by Alessan; 09-10-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:23 PM

Green is Irish and apparently "stereotypically Jewish" in Ireland, but why the heck did it become associated with Jews, also no idea.

Sephardim Jewish lastnames include some color-related ones, but AFAIK they're the same ones used by gentiles.

Last edited by Nava; 09-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Brown and Black aren't usually associated with Jews, IMHO - they both sound very WASPy to me. Green, I don't know.
Certainly not exclusively, but put it in German and add ...stein or ...man to it and the first best guess is "Hmmm, Jewish?"

And I could be totes ignant here, and am willing to entertain the idea that names like Grünbaum, Schwartzweiss, and Braunstein are fairly common among German Christians.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Silver, Gold, Black, & White are occupational names: Goldsmith, silversmith, blacksmith, whitesmith (tin). Diamond is also occupational, referring to jewelry. Green could come from either greengrocer or greenskeeper, though I don't know if that is the origin.

Note that these are all service occupations. They are open to people who are forbidden from owning land. And common to many locations (so that when all the Jews are forced out of one country, they can still carry on this occupation elsewhere).
Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Certainly not exclusively, but put it in German and add ...stein or ...man to it and the first best guess is "Hmmm, Jewish?"
But you were apparently asking about those names in English, not German. I don't think either one is thought of a Jewish name in English.

Schwartz/Schwarz, meaning black, of course is recognized as a common Jewish name, although it's also found in non-Jews. As a name, it would have referred to someone with a dark complexion.

I don't think that Braun is recognized as a Jewish name, however.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Is diamond a color?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:01 PM

I was oversimplifying, including the minerology with the colors, because I'm a sloppy person.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Ashkenazi Jewish surnames date back to the 18th or 19th Centuries, and were imposed on them by the European powers of the time (before that, they were mostly "son of" and so on). Gold, Silver and Diamond are all professional names, originally given to jewelers and metalworkers (some may have been given ironically). Brown and Black aren't usually associated with Jews, IMHO - they both sound very WASPy to me. Green, I don't know.
My grandmother grew up as Brown, but arrived from Odessa as a child as Brunfenbrenner. Interestingly enough, her granddaughter (my 1st cousin) ended up marrying another Brown. I don’t know what the original version of his family name was.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

My family name is Green and from what I have been told it use to be Greenspan or Greenspoon and it was shortened upon arrival in Canada.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM

I have Greens and Blacks in my Ashkenazi family, though in other languages.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Here's a long piece about Ashkenazi Jewish names:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_v..._surnames.html

Note that there's a link toward the beginning of this to a webpage with some corrections.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:23 PM

I knew a Green who said his "maiden" name was Greenstein, a name that certainly sounds Jewish. And my wife has relatives named Brownstein (or maybe Braunstein, but a lot of the spellings were arbitrarily assigned at Ellis Island since they knew them only spelled in Hebrew letters. My family was similarly shortened by dropping -sky.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:43 PM

He doesn't have a colour name, but the name of the pianist Vladimir Ashkenazy has always struck me as a strange one, since i have no clue of its origin. (Though I can imagine it coming about similarly to Lochlann ["the Viking"] in Scotland, or Langlais ["the Englishman"] in France...)
Old 09-11-2018, 05:02 PM

Yes, there are -ski and -sky and -[nothing] in my family tree.

Not mentioned in the link above, but some Ashkenazi surnames are code names that reference Jewish prophets and biblical figures while seeming not to. "Eisenstein" may reference Isaac, for example.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
He doesn't have a colour name, but the name of the pianist Vladimir Ashkenazy has always struck me as a strange one, since i have no clue of its origin. (Though I can imagine it coming about similarly to Lochlann ["the Viking"] in Scotland, or Langlais ["the Englishman"] in France...)
It's a common surname among Sephardic Jews, especially from the Balkans (probably indicating an Ashkenazic ancestor). Maybe Vladimir's grandfather was Bulgarian or something similar.

Last edited by Alessan; 09-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Most of those names were given to them by Gentiles. They are not Hebrew names like Cohen and Levi. Some (the ones with "gold" in them) were fully intended to be ironic and insulting.
How exactly is the surname Goldstein "ironic" or "insulting" to someone who works as a goldsmith? In what way are the names Goldberg (golden hill) and Goldbloom (golden flower) insulting?
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Add another color: "Roth" is derived from "red."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
How exactly is the surname Goldstein "ironic" or "insulting" to someone who works as a goldsmith? In what way are the names Goldberg (golden hill) and Goldbloom (golden flower) insulting?
Because it is ignoring their historic connection to the honored Levi or Cohen tribe, and reducing them to being named by their occupation.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

There is apparently a myth that when Austrian Jews were forced to adopt family names, the name-granting officials accepted bribes for "better" names and otherwise gave insulting names.

This article seeks to dispel that myth —

"Did Jews Buy Their Last Names?"
https://forward.com/opinion/391341/d...ir-last-names/

There apparently were some genuinely insulting names assigned, but the vast majority of German-speaking Jews have non-insulting names:

Quote:
As legend would have it, these officials created lists in which the price corresponded to the names. “Beautiful” sounding surnames, like words for precious stones or flowers (think Goldstein, which means “golden stone,” or Rosenthal, which means “rose valley,” or Silberberg, meaning “silver mountain”) were the most expensive. Last names including the names of ordinary metals (think of Eisenberg, meaning “iron mountain,” or Kupferstein, meaning “copper stone”) were cheaper. Names like Adler, meaning “eagle,” and Schwalbe, meaning “swallow,” were free of charge. Finally, anti-Semitic officials assigned “contemptuous” names simply to spite their future Jewish bearers. These nsmes might include Niemand (“nobody”), Affengesicht (“monkey face”), Mausfall (“mousetrap”) or – perhaps most insulting of all — Wanzreich (“rich in bedbugs” or “kingdom of bedbugs”).

And yet there are not a large number of contemptuous anti-Semitic names in Galicia (fortunately, we don’t hesitate to add).

In my etymological dictionary of Galicia, there are about 37,000 surnames, and only a few dozen fall under the category of derogatory or ridiculous names. These include Deligtisch (“criminal”), Geschwür (“ulcer”), Katzenflügel (“cat’s wing), Krebsfuss (“crab’s paw”), Messerscharff (“as sharp as a knife”), Zeitlich (“temporary”), Sting (“stony”) and Zweighaft (“branched”), Falschberg (“false mountain”) and Sommerfeind (“enemy of summer”). Interestingly, numerous other “friends” also seem to result from mockery, although some of them form quite positive images: Bauerenfreund (“friend of peasants”), Weisenfreund (“friend of orphans”), Kinderfreund (“friend of children”), Judenfreund (“friend of Jews”), Bergenfreund (“friend of mountains”), and Rosenfreund (“friend of roses”).

Read more: https://forward.com/opinion/391341/d...ir-last-names/
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 PM

How is "sharp as a knife", "stony", or "branched" derogatory? "Cat's wing" is just badass, although it is also ridiculous.

I'd like to know why, with how commonly names for groups of people have changed over the years, Jews haven't renamed Ashkenazi to something that doesn't contain the word "nazi." I know that name predates the German use of the term but still, you'd think in recent years there would be a push to rename that particular descriptor.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Add another color: "Roth" is derived from "red."
Perhaps you meant the German word Rot, which means 'red'?

Last edited by Mumberthax; 09-11-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Because it is ignoring their historic connection to the honored Levi or Cohen tribe, and reducing them to being named by their occupation.
And yet, Cohen and Levi are still the most common Jewish surnames.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumberthax View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth_(surname)

“Roth” is just a very close variant of “rot,” if you look at the bigger picture of Germanic languages over the past one or two thousand years. Look at the slightly bigger picture, and modern English “red” (and “ruddy”) is just another variant of what philologists would consider basically the same “word”. French “rouge,” Spanish “rojo,” etc. are close cousins.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Making them change their name is of course pretty insulting but the names themselves are not. As mentioned, the vast majority of these colour names refer to smithing and Smith is about the most common gentile name there is in the English speaking world.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Roth is a very standard old-fashioned spelling of the same word, still well known today.

Rothschild means "Red Shield", not "child of Roth".
Old 09-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Being assigned a name has at the very least a small insult baked into it no matter what.

Last edited by drad dog; 09-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I'd like to know why, with how commonly names for groups of people have changed over the years, Jews haven't renamed Ashkenazi to something that doesn't contain the word "nazi." I know that name predates the German use of the term but still, you'd think in recent years there would be a push to rename that particular descriptor.
Why is that a thing you think people would want? It's not even pronounced the same.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes.

Then apply Grimm's Law.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Yes.

Then apply Grimm's Law.
That's a joke, right? Grimm's Law applies to changes that took place circa 500 BC. Also, it had to do with changes in pronunciation, because the Germanic languages then were unwritten. Rot and Roth are pronounced exactly the same in German. I wonder what the h was even doing there in the first place, but to keep it in English-speaking countries is obviously preferable. Likewise, there are German women named Rut, but you better believe in an English-speaking country they'd be Ruth.

I once met a nice old couple from Hungary whose last name was Vitriol. I had difficulty comprehending how anybody could have that for their name, but then I learned about the malicious Austro-Hungarian registrars.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post

I once met a nice old couple from Hungary whose last name was Vitriol. I had difficulty comprehending how anybody could have that for their name, but then I learned about the malicious Austro-Hungarian registrars.

After looking up, it seems that, as already mentioned in this thread, the "malicious Austro-Hungarian registrars" story is a myth.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
After looking up, it seems that, as already mentioned in this thread, the "malicious Austro-Hungarian registrars" story is a myth.
I always suspected you were a Magyar-spewing Austro-Hungarian sympathizer.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:57 AM

I knew a Jewish kid at camp whose surname was Pope.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
"Roth" was the standard spelling until the reform of 1876. It could still be found well into the early 1900s.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Vitriol isn't necessarily offensive. Besides sulfuric acid, it also means a type of colourful crystal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitriol

Last edited by Apollon; 09-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon View Post
"Roth" was the standard spelling until the reform of 1876. It could still be found well into the early 1900s.
Yes, I thought about mentioning this; specifically IIRC subsequent to the 1901 Orthographische Konferenz it is now strictly speaking "incorrect" to spell roth for rot, thun for tun, etc., whereas before 1876 many of the "th" spellings were standard or preferred. Note that the /θ/ phoneme is rather rare these days, in particular nonexistent in modern German and Germanic languages (English is one of the exceptions). As for the wisdom of spelling reform, that is way outside the scope of this thread.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a joke, right? Grimm's Law applies to changes that took place circa 500 BC. Also, it had to do with changes in pronunciation, because the Germanic languages then were unwritten. Rot and Roth are pronounced exactly the same in German.
Sorry, but Grimm's Law never went away; I've seen examples of it in the early 80s* and occasionally spot them even today.

*A dictionary of prison slang I read back then had "vic" as the interest on the loan. This is obviously derived from "vigorish" (interest on a loan, first showing up in the late 1950s), shorted to "vig," and then Grimm's took over.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Tangentially related to the subject of this thread: family names on Grön- (Swedish for Green-), like Grönfors, Grönroos and Grönhall seem to be somewhat common among Finnish Roma families (yes, Swedish is an official language in Suomi too )!

Last edited by Ignotus; 09-21-2018 at 03:04 PM.