Old 09-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Last night some channel was playing The Poseidon Adventure (1972).

It's a catastrophe movie but I can't tell you how hard we were laughing.

The first time I ever saw this flick was in about 1974 when I was 14. But that was before Airplane, The Naked Gun, Super Fuzz, etc, etc..

The acting is so freaking bad in it. Even one of my personal favorites Gene Hackman is pretty hokey in it.

The entire time you're waiting for Leslie Nielsen to start cracking smart ass jokes. Or Jack Albertson to call out for Charlie or Chico.

And for Kripes sake, it has Red Buttons!

It's a real hoot. Between the really bad acting and knowing what the actors did in other flicks. It's impossible to take this movie seriously. Watch it and enjoy!

William Stranix
Old 09-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
The entire time you're waiting for Leslie Nielsen to start cracking smart ass jokes.
Missed the edit window.

And it's frustrating as hell that he doesn't. Lord knows he had plenty of openings!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:40 PM

I remember hearing that Ebert proposed a sequel in which, as soon as the passengers reach the top of the (inverted) ship, it rolls over again and they have to go back through everything again.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I was so offended when this movie's song, {b]The Morning After[/b] won an Oscar, beating Blazing Saddles' theme song!!

Yeah, it was a turkey. I saw it in the theater upon its release too.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Make that Academy Award winner Red Buttons.

And two-time Academy Award winner Shelly Winters.

And Academy Award winner Ernest Borgnine.

And once already and once future Academy Award winner Gene Hackman.

And Academy Award winner Jack Albertson.

For a crappy movie, it had a surprisingly good pedigree.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:

It's a catastrophe movie but I can't tell you how hard we were laughing. ...

It's a real hoot. Between the really bad acting and knowing what the actors did in other flicks. It's impossible to take this movie seriously. Watch it and enjoy!
Don't use up all your laughter just yet. Wait until they screen the sequel. It makes the original seem like Citizen Kane by comparison.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:32 PM

It's been a while since I've seen the film, I was just a kid then, but there's a couple of scenes that are stuck in my head:

The part when they're hanging from the tables bolted to the floor, now roof, in the ballroom.

The kid going to the bathroom and all the urinals are upside down and spilling water on the floor/roof.

Somebody, I wanna say Gene Hackman, diving or falling into water that's on fire.

I do remember being on the edge of my seat through the entire movie. I should probably re-watch it sometime. Unless, of course, this is one of those things I'm better off keeping my rosy, nostalgia painted, memories.

"The Morning After" is just terrible. How the hell did it win an Oscar? It's like a worse version of "Tomorrow" from Annie.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

It came out when I was a teenager, and I remember liking it a lot. Sometimes these things don't hold up so well when I watch them years later though.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Nice OP-subject-signature combo.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM

I remember watching it as a kid and loving it even though it came out quite a while before I was born. There is something about Ernest Borgnine, that guy always cheers me up when I see him. Did you ever hear his secret for longevity?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ
Old 09-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post

Hackman later admitted that after winning the Oscar for French Connection he chose a number of roles based on the amount of money they were throwing at him. The Poseidon Adventure was one of these paycheck performances. I strongly suspect that's how producer Irwin Allen got the other Oscar-winners to sign on.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 09-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Hackman later admitted that after winning the Oscar for French Connection he chose a number of roles based on the amount of money they were throwing at him. The Poseidon Adventure was one of these paycheck performances. I strongly suspect that's how producer Irwin Allen got the other Oscar-winners to sign on.
The other Oscar winners were mostly all has-beens by then.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 PM
BANNED

My wonder was how long it would take the ship to sink once someone torched a hole at the bottom of the hull, and why the air pressure was still even.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It came out when I was a teenager, and I remember liking it a lot. Sometimes these things don't hold up so well when I watch them years later though.
Like a teenage steward rape a teenage passenger so he wouldn't a virgin, then after he dies she's eager to meet his parents and hoping she's pregnant?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I can't think of this film without thinking of The Poopside-down Adventure
Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 PM

I liked it. Sure, it was ultra cheesy, but still an "adventure".
Old 09-16-2018, 10:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Like a teenage steward rape a teenage passenger so he wouldn't a virgin, then after he dies she's eager to meet his parents and hoping she's pregnant?
It's been decades since I've seen the film, but I'm pretty sure that scene was not in there. Director's cut, maybe?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 AM

If you think The Poseidon Adventure is a hoot, check out When Time Ran Out....

Tourists are surprised by a volcanic eruption in a lonesome hotel in the Caribic[sic]. The hotel owner ignores all warnings and advises his guests to wait for a rescue team. Only a small group follows expert Hank to reach higher regions. They start an adventurous journey across the island.

You get to watch Burgess Meredith tightrope walk across a lava flow.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It's been decades since I've seen the film, but I'm pretty sure that scene was not in there. Director's cut, maybe?
It apparently happens in the novel. I don't believe it appears in the movie.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 AM

Characters that had a history of prostitution don't usually have a leading part in these types of films - that was my big takeaway from this film when I watched it for the first time a couple years ago.

Then again there was Total Recall and Idiocracy, maybe it's more common than I thought.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 AM

A number of these "disaster" movies had all-star casts. They don't take away Oscars and other awards retroactively. They're just a money grab.

Maybe they should reconsider pulling back honors - (new thread idea).

Last edited by smithsb; 09-17-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

It was the 1970s, and disaster movies were the thing. After 1970's Airport, we got The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Airport 1975, Earthquake, Airport: 77, and so on. Each tended to feature a few A actors, a few more B actors, and a number of washed-up and character actors, all recognizable, but mostly as, "I've seen that man/woman before, but where?"

They were hokey stories, and you knew how everything would turn out just fine for most A and B stars (and a few selected character actors, in all cases), but they were fun. And they were excellently parodied in The Big Bus, from 1976. Heck, a little-known film called Drive-In (1976) was all about the goings-on among the audience at a drive-in movie theater in 1976--the film that was playing? Disaster '76, which featured aircraft in trouble, ships sinking, burning buildings, and so on.

Hollywood seems to go through phases. In the 1970s, it was disaster movies. Nowadays, it seems to be superhero movie after superhero movie after superhero movie. The Poseidon Adventure and its disaster-genre kin were no different--they were what put butts in seats in the 1970s.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Poseidon Adventure was released here in Australia around 1973. And as was typical in those halcyon days, movies lasted nearly a YEAR at the cinemas before being pushed out for the next blockbuster.

I saw PA probably 5 times in that year, and loved it every single time.

So don't you go dissing my PA.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Pamela Sue Martin in red shorts throughout, what's not to like? Sure, it was hokey but it was good fun, like all the disaster films of that era.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Make that Academy Award winner Red Buttons.

And two-time Academy Award winner Shelly Winters.

And Academy Award winner Ernest Borgnine.

And Academy Award winner Jack Albertson.

Don't forget Roddy McDowall, who while he never won an Oscar, did serve for many years on the board of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. So, there's that.

All the high-powered talent served to take a screenplay that in lesser hands would have made for a forgettable piece of schlock, actually make us care somewhat about these characters, deliver the dialogue with gusto and a semblance of credibility, and turned this movie into an unforgettable piece of schlock.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
Poseidon Adventure was released here in Australia around 1973. And as was typical in those halcyon days, movies lasted nearly a YEAR at the cinemas before being pushed out for the next blockbuster.

I saw PA probably 5 times in that year, and loved it every single time.

So don't you go dissing my PA.
Right on,kam

I was six when PA came out and my parents took me to see it.It was the first "adult" movie I saw in a theater and it's such a cherished memory for me. I don't know if taking a child that young to such a movie was frowned upon by others but my parents knew what I was able to handle and I loved every minute of it. The only slightly traumatic part was when they find the burned guy in the engine room. That was the most graphic thing I had ever seen up to that time and it did give me pause (I still kind of brace myself when that scene comes on) but it didn't give me nightmares or anything.

It was also my first exposure to the many great actors whose better days were behind them by that time. Even though I've since seen their earlier, great works, this is the film I still associate them with.

"Did you see Ernest Borgnine's award winning performance in Marty? "

"Never mind that; did you see him as the cop with the hooker wife in The Poseidon Adventure!"

I loved Carol and Pamela Sue's hot pants and boots. Also, you couldn't stop my brother and me from repeating the "shove it, shove it, shove it!" line for weeks afterword. And of course, the ominous shot of the giant wave coming toward the ship and Leslie Nielsen uttering, with all his awesomeness, "oh MY god".

So yeah, show some respeck
Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 PM

I can't begin to tell you how BIG this movie was when it came out. My father was theater manager and show after show was sold out. They put extra benches in the very back of the theater to sell more seats (I don't know how they did that with fire codes and all, back in the 70's.) . It was one of the, if not THE first disaster movies and I loved every character. (not that awful Morning After song!) Yes, it's a silly thing to look at today, but I like to watch it if only for the nostalgia factor. Was there a remake? If so, I don't remember hearing anything about it, but the original was THE movie to see in the year it came out.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Was there a remake?
Yes, in 2005.

A new-from-scratch version in 2006.

And a sequel to the original in 1979.

But none featured Shelley Winters swimming underwater.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Pamela Sue Martin in red shorts throughout, what's not to like?
I have fond memories of Carol Lynley in hot pants. Some things about 1974 were okay in my book.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's a catastrophe movie but I can't tell you how hard we were laughing.

The first time I ever saw this flick was in about 1974 when I was 14. But that was before Airplane, The Naked Gun, Super Fuzz, etc, etc..

The acting is so freaking bad in it. Even one of my personal favorites Gene Hackman is pretty hokey in it.

The entire time you're waiting for Leslie Nielsen to start cracking smart ass jokes. Or Jack Albertson to call out for Charlie or Chico.

Iíve seen Leslie Nielsen in lots of dramas. At one time he was considered a serious actor.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloe Moe View Post
My wonder was how long it would take the ship to sink once someone torched a hole at the bottom of the hull, and why the air pressure was still even.
I'm not even sure you could torch a hole in the hull. The internal air pressure might just blow the hot metal right back.

But yea, as soon as you cut that hole, the ship is going down fast. Too fast for a sequel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Iíve seen Leslie Nielsen in lots of dramas. At one time he was considered a serious actor.
Surely you've seen some of his excellent dramatic acting, such as Forbidden Planet?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM

^ Barbra Streisand (playing a hooker) kills him in, "Nuts."
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I'm not even sure you could torch a hole in the hull. The internal air pressure might just blow the hot metal right back.[/I]
IIRC, rescue workers in 1941 had to stop torching holes in the Oklahoma's hull, even though they knew there were survivors inside. They were afraid of causing an explosion or something.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Surely you've seen some of his excellent dramatic acting, such as Forbidden Planet?
I have seen some of his excellent dramatic acting.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reindeer Flotilla View Post
I have seen some of his excellent dramatic acting.
It's a different kind of acting, altogether.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I was so offended when this movie's song, {b]The Morning After[/b] won an Oscar, beating Blazing Saddles' theme song!!

Yeah, it was a turkey. I saw it in the theater upon its release too.
To be fair, while "The Morning After" was quite popular that year (I remember listening to it at the pool on top hits radio), the song from Blazing Saddles was not so popular.

Full disclosure: I love Maureen McGovern.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not even sure you could torch a hole in the hull. The internal air pressure might just blow the hot metal right back.

But yea, as soon as you cut that hole, the ship is going down fast. Too fast for a sequel.

I prefer his turn as Col. Buzz Brighton, which I thought showed both his ability to be serious, and his eventually to be found ability to be funny.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Meh. I've seen dumber movies. As has been noted, disaster movies were in at the time. They've come back into fashion a time or two since, as well. TPA is in no danger of being listed as a cultural treasure but it was meant to be a fun movie and it is still fun. I'd rather watch it than either Easy Rider or 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Exactly. Nielsen was pretty much exclusively a serious actor until he was cast in Airplane! (1980), which effectively gave him a second career as a comedic actor.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:19 PM

When Shelly Winters jumped in for her underwater scenes, that was Shelly Winters, no stunt double.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
When Shelly Winters jumped in for her underwater scenes, that was Shelly Winters, no stunt double.
Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCPhHR57ho

Last edited by Dallas Jones; 09-17-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Going up

Hmmm. 42 posts and now this is the first to mention Stella Stevens? Hum baby. Yes, the movie is cornball, but it does move (like the passengers frenetically dancing to a ballad) and it's easy on the eyes. The commentary track with Pamela Sue, Stella, and Carol is also lots of fun. For example...
Quote:
Carol and crew: "I couldn't do this movie today. I swear, there are so many claustrophibic memories as I watch it. Climbing through things, then the water...". "Ah, if they gave you enough money...". "...It'd be hard! I was much more adventurous back then!" "Maybe with Al Pacino you'd reconsider. You never know."

Stella: "Underneath that pink shirt, I'm not supposed to have anything on at all. But it was so clammy cold, it would hit my nipples and they would get really hard. So, I had to wear a Rudi Gernreich No Bra bra....There is Ernie, holding on to me, showing my bra strap....It is the biggest flaw in the movie to me, and I'm just embarrassed."

Pamela Sue: "I don't know, but they sure managed to get a couple of butt shots of everyone stepping in there! Stella's panties, my hot pants. There they are. Shots that you just love to have taken of you."

Carol: "Wooh! Right up my kazoo there!"
Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I think the movie is worth watching, just for Shelly's role. I just loved her in this.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:

The shaft room that they were eventually rescued from had a pretty stout door that had to be cranked open; presumably it's air and water tight. I don't remember if they closed it again once they were inside. If they did, that would limit the air that would escape through the hole.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Loved it. Still do. Loved the score too.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't think some of you could miss the point any more than you have.

Because of his later work in comedies it makes viewing his earlier dramatic work funny even when it isn't. Put together with the poor acting by a bunch of has-beens (minus Hackman, his acting wasn't top notch in the film but he has never been a has been) and watching this flick is a ball!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:

. . .

I think the movie was actually great. This is what happens when you pluck a 40 year old movie out of the bin and try to watch it with today's lens.

- It has a 79% on the tomato meter. The critics of the day liked it. At the time The Poseidon Adventure was a huge it.

- It was one of the first disaster films. No CGI. Just good old fashioned camera work. I remember my parents going to the movie on their own just because the heard that the scene where Poseidon capsizes was so amazing. And it was at the time.

- The acting seemed appropriate to the type of film that it was.

- It wasn't meant to be Gone with the Wind. It was meant to be entertainment, and it was great at that.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I have, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote:
It's a different kind of acting.

Quote:

I don't think some of you could miss the point any more than you have.
Says you! No time to argue. I'm off to play the kazoo!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
I remember hearing that Ebert proposed a sequel in which, as soon as the passengers reach the top of the (inverted) ship, it rolls over again and they have to go back through everything again.
Thats hilarious!