Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Captain Marvel Movie (The Marvel one)

The trailer just dropped and looks pretty good I think:

https://youtu.be/Z1BCujX3pw8

Also, EW has first look images with Captain Marvel, Starforce, Ronan, Young Fury and Coulsen (spoiler!), and Skrulls. Skrulls!

https://ew.com/movies/captain-marvel-first-look-images/

I don't know if I'm sold on Brie Larson's voice in this but I think they got the look down.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Looks decidedly "meh" to me. I'll watch it but at this point, I just can't get that excited about it.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Looks awesome to me. Can't wait. The de-aging of Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg is incredible.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

About time! I am so in on this one.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM

Jesus. I still get chills every time I see a new Marvel trailer.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Looks decidedly "meh" to me. I'll watch it but at this point, I just can't get that excited about it.
I feel much the same although a good part of that is probably that I don't know/care about who Captain Marvel is. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I wound up enjoying Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange (somewhat on that last one), none of who I was familiar with. But at the same time I can't get all excited about it before it happens.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 AM

I hope they go all Hot Tub Time Machine with Fury's eye.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM

At some point in a meeting I didn't attend showing Blockbuster video has become shorthand for "This is the 90s." In my memory Blockbuster didn't kill the regional video stores until later.

As far as the movie, I think the Marvel formula is getting old. It's nice they have a female hero for a change and access to the aspects of Fantastic Four they didn't have before (skrulls) but I just kind of shrugged.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
At some point in a meeting I didn't attend showing Blockbuster video has become shorthand for "This is the 90s." In my memory Blockbuster didn't kill the regional video stores until later.
Blockbuster was definitely "a thing" in the 90s and has universal recognition versus your regional chains. So everyone can say "Heh heh, Blockbuster. I remember those. That's funny because I remember it."
Old 09-18-2018, 10:31 AM

The "Marvel formula" is not getting old, if anything their movies are getting better. They are certainly just as if not more popular and profitable.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Captain Marvel also has the benefit of not being an origin story as such. That plus a strong female lead plus anticipation for how it fits with Infinity War 2 makes this movie exciting.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I hope they go all Hot Tub Time Machine with Fury's eye.
Missed a chance to say "I know a renegade soldier when I see one with my own two eyes," am disappointed.

I know very little about this character though it didn't stop GotG from being enjoyable.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The "Marvel formula" is not getting old, if anything their movies are getting better. They are certainly just as if not more popular and profitable.
Thing is, this trailer doesn’t strike me as at all Marvel Formula — because, if I were to pick one trailer it seems to be in the mold of, I’m thinking Man of Steel.

You know: a little glum, amidst some uncertainty about one’s place in the world; and kind of slow and portentous; and they’re not going for quips, or for ‘up’ music cues to carry the thing; and, well, there’s just a looming ‘seriousness’ to it.

Am I off on this, or does that sound about right?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Thing is, this trailer doesn’t strike me as at all Marvel Formula — because, if I were to pick one trailer it seems to be in the mold of, I’m thinking Man of Steel.

You know: a little glum, amidst some uncertainty about one’s place in the world; and kind of slow and portentous; and they’re not going for quips, or for ‘up’ music cues to carry the thing; and, well, there’s just a looming ‘seriousness’ to it.

They all look like that in the trailers, though. Age of Ultron looked apocalyptic and terrifying. Turns out it's even jokier than the first. I wanted the movie promised from the trailer!

Last edited by planetcory; 09-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I accept this premise for the general public but that doesn't mean that I, personally find them all that interesting any more. Speaking only as a single data point and as only one potential movie ticket purchaser. In general, they are working far too much blatantly silly humor into their films. I could barely sit through the second GotG movie and they were just annoying in Infinity War. Don't get my wrong. I have no problem with humor. It beats the deadly serious tone of most of DC's movies but it needs to be done cleverly and in the appropriate quantity. Tony Stark is funny but he can afford better quip writers. Banner's high dive onto the rainbow bridge was just a cheap laugh and a call back to a better movie.

There are some very interesting and humor-friendly characters that I would love to see. Where's that She-Hulk movies that keeps getting floated around. Maybe they can CGI up some muscles on Bruce Campbell and cast him as Wonder-Man. With that smile, attitude and chin, he's a natural. When Marvel starts making movies about characters that actually interest me then I'll get excited. Right now, the only film in the Marvel pipeline that actually might get me into the theaters is the New Mutants
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I know very little about this character though it didn't stop GotG from being enjoyable.
That's my thinking. On the other hand, if I want to second-guess myself, both GotG and Ant-Man were played more for fun. I enjoyed the more "serious" (such as a Marvel movie can be) Dr Strange less. I'm guessing this will be played (again, relatively) straight.

But, if I want to second-guess my second-guessing, my understanding is that Black Panther was played straight (still haven't seen it) and everyone seems to think that movie was the best thing since pumpkin spice.

In the end, I'll see it either because my wife will make me go to the theater or I'll see it at home. I'm sure I don't resent the time I spend seeing it but I'm not excited right now either.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on this. I was expecting one final quip once the title card came up, and am surprised that we didn't have it. I remember seeing the trailer for Dr. Strange and how straightforward that looked, until after the title card when we got the Shambala/wifi password joke.

It's a first trailer, we'll clearly get many more, so I'm withholding judgment. Then again, I love the Marvel movies and they can do no wrong for me. They could film a dumpster fire for 2 hours and I'll be excited.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Financially until Black Panther and Infinity war, their Box office peaked with the first Avengers six years ago. I would ague that was the peak for them creatively too. The subsequent movies have copied that tone and formula to varying degrees ever since with a few exceptions.

I like the Marvel movies still but they just don't wow me anymore. Maybe I am getting older or maybe they are tired, I don't know.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Financially until Black Panther and Infinity war, their Box office peaked with the first Avengers six years ago. I would ague that was the peak for them creatively too. The subsequent movies have copied that tone and formula to varying degrees ever since with a few exceptions.
Yeah, sorry, that's clearly not true. Critically, their movies since Avengers have done much better than the ones before, and if Avengers made more money it was because it was the first of its kind on film and people went to see it 6-7 times in the theater. The Phase 2 and 3 movies made MUCH more money than the Phase 1 movies, with the exception of Avengers: Age of Ultron not quite reaching Avengers level.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Blockbuster was definitely "a thing" in the 90s and has universal recognition versus your regional chains. So everyone can say "Heh heh, Blockbuster. I remember those. That's funny because I remember it."
Blockbuster was the national video rental chain of the 'Nineties. Hollywood Video was kind of a distant second. So yes, using Blockbuster as a signpost of "this is a period piece set in the 1990s" is wholly appropriate.

Quote:
Marvel definitely has a formula for their films, but they keep them fresh by letting each movie set in a particular genre and style (Captain America: Winter Soldier as a political/conspiracy thriller, Civil War as a psychological thriller, Ant-Man as a heist movie, Thor: Ragnarok as 'Eighties-style high fantasy, et cetera) and giving the heroes distinctive and very human weaknesses; Peter Quill's insecurity about not being Thor (even though as the offspring of a Celestial he is arguably as or more powerful than Thor) was riotous. Marvel Studios has figured out how to create an interrelated universe that still gives dramatic heft and distinct identity to individual stories and heroes without having to back-reference everything in the way that, say, the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises have. Even with every film since The Avengers leading up to Infinity War it still feels as if there is a much larger universe beyond the immediate story. (The service given in Age of Ultron to introducing all of the Phase 3 elements is what actually weakened the film, an error that Marvel didn't reproduce in the later films.)

Marvel has had their better and weaker movies--nobody is going to tout Thor: The Dark World or the The Incredible Hull as great films--but as a narrative universe they've created a mostly consistent set of engaging characters with plausible motivations, realistic weaknesses, and most importantly, a better reason to come together than that their mothers all had the same first name, or they shared some kind of bacterial parasite.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Captain Marvel even though Brie Larson would not have been my first or even second pick for the role. I have confidence they'll make it work, and seeing Nick Fury and Agent Coulson earlier in their careers should be awesome. I'm still hoping for a 'Sixties or 'Seventies Agent Carter/Howard Stark/Young Nick Fury movie as a post-Avengers 4 option as well as plenty of new narrative directions once the Thanos storyline is wrapped up. The willingness of Marvel Studios to depart from the comics while still hewing toward the general concept of a long term narrative is encouraging.

Stranger
Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 PM

Yeah, at this point Marvel is making movies starring super heroes, not super hero movies.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:38 PM

IO9 has a breakdown of the trailer:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-cosm...cap-1829143121
Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Well, I'm stoked. As is my teen daughter.
Quote:
there’s just a looming ‘seriousness’ to it.
I thought the part where she punched an old lady was hilarious. I hope it turns out she wasn't even a Skrull.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Well, I'm stoked. As is my teen daughter.

I thought the part where she punched an old lady was hilarious. I hope it turns out she wasn't even a Skrull.
Specially since it came right after "find out what makes her a hero".
Old 09-18-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
That's my thinking. On the other hand, if I want to second-guess myself, both GotG and Ant-Man were played more for fun. I enjoyed the more "serious" (such as a Marvel movie can be) Dr Strange less. I'm guessing this will be played (again, relatively) straight.

But, if I want to second-guess my second-guessing, my understanding is that Black Panther was played straight (still haven't seen it) and everyone seems to think that movie was the best thing since pumpkin spice.

In the end, I'll see it either because my wife will make me go to the theater or I'll see it at home. I'm sure I don't resent the time I spend seeing it but I'm not excited right now either.
Yeah, I didn't know Ant-Man from Adam Ant either. Still pretty good, I watched IW last night so I'm all caught up to everything but Ant-Man 2.

BP is one of the more serious ones (especially coming off of Ragnarok). Serkis does a lot of scenery-chewing humor, and most of the humor is a little dry except for maybe BP's sister. I don't think it deserved all the accolades but is still very good, just top 10 not #1.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Yeah, sorry, that's clearly not true. Critically, their movies since Avengers have done much better than the ones before, and if Avengers made more money it was because it was the first of its kind on film and people went to see it 6-7 times in the theater. The Phase 2 and 3 movies made MUCH more money than the Phase 1 movies, with the exception of Avengers: Age of Ultron not quite reaching Avengers level.

I'm sorry but that isn't true. The only non Avenger Marvel movies to make more than the original Iron Man are:
Black Panther, both GotG movies, Spider-Man, Civil War and Iron Man 3 (who knew? I really like IM3 but it has a reputation of being bad, not IM 2 bad but bad). And Spider-Man and the first GotG just barely beat it by about 20 million.

Until this year The Avengers was the top by by about $150 million.

Creatively I enjoy a lot of what has come out since The Avengers (Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie besides The Avengers) but I think any poll done of both casual fans and comic book news would say the Avengers is the best of the MCU.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Same here. They were developed more than a decade after I stopped reading comics, so I know almost nothing about them - unlike almost all the rest of the Marvel characters, who I am familiar with after having reading them as a kid. (This can be unsettling when a character I knew from Sgt. Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos ends up being re-imagined.)

The upside of this is that I can't be disappointed. On the other hand, my main motivation in seeing it is that it's assumed she will have a lot to do with the resolution of the last Avengers movie.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Same here. They were developed more than a decade after I stopped reading comics, so I know almost nothing about them - unlike almost all the rest of the Marvel characters, who I am familiar with after having reading them as a kid. (This can be unsettling when a character I knew from Sgt. Nick Fury and His Howling Commandos ends up being re-imagined.)
The funny thing is that Carol Danvers, as a character, probably *does* date from the time when you were reading comic books. She's had a terribly convoluted history in the Marvel Universe.

Danvers started out as a supporting character in the late 1960s, in stories with Marvel's first Captain Marvel (who was a Kree).

She wound up with superpowers related to that Captain Marvel, and had her own title (Ms. Marvel) for a while in the late 1970s. She eventually lost her powers (and at least some of her memory) to the X-Man Rogue, whose power let her temporarily "borrow" others' powers and memories -- but, in this case, it became permanent, and it's where Rogue's powers of flight and super-strength came from.

Danvers then got a different set of superpowers from the alien Brood, and became the superhero Binary (circa 1982), before later taking the name Warbird, and then going back to Ms. Marvel for a while. It looks like she started appearing as Captain Marvel around 2012.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM

If they wanted a strong female main character they should've made a Mighty Isis movie.

Even I would've gone to see that.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM

Looks awesome!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

The upside of this is that I can't be disappointed. On the other hand, my main motivation in seeing it is that it's assumed she will have a lot to do with the resolution of the last Avengers movie.
GotG started in 1969, but they were a very different team. Yondu, who was less of a space redneck in the comics as I understand it, plus Sylvester Stallone's group. The 2008 team's characters were older (e.g. Star Lord 1976) but pretty obscure.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Turns out she's a Dire Wraith. They have a good laugh over the mix up, then the old lady is disintegrated by a guy dressed as a toaster.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

So, can anyone give a rundown of just what powers she has? Or at least, a best guess as to what she would have, in this continuity? So far, all I've got is that she wears a leather costume, she has electrical VFX, and she punches old ladies.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, can anyone give a rundown of just what powers she has? Or at least, a best guess as to what she would have, in this continuity? So far, all I've got is that she wears a leather costume, she has electrical VFX, and she punches old ladies.
If memory holds, super strength in the fifteen ton range, flight, enhanced durability (basic FISS pack), energy projection from her hands (I think concussive bolt but don't quote me on that.), and "Cosmic Awareness". Vaguely defined - basically it boils down to that she knows whatever she needs to know, when she needs to know it.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If memory holds, super strength in the fifteen ton range, flight, enhanced durability (basic FISS pack)...
So what's her number?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So what's her number?
She was prominent back in the early seventies so she was well before PS238.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but that isn't true.
...umm:

Quote:
The only non Avenger Marvel movies to make more than the original Iron Man are:
Black Panther, both GotG movies, Spider-Man, Civil War and Iron Man 3 (who knew? I really like IM3 but it has a reputation of being bad, not IM 2 bad but bad). And Spider-Man and the first GotG just barely beat it by about 20 million.

Your claim was:

Quote:
Financially until Black Panther and Infinity war, their Box office peaked with the first Avengers six years ago.
You never set the benchmark as "the original Iron Man." You claimed the box office had peaked: that clearly isn't the case, and the person who makes the case that this isn't the case is you.

Quote:
Creatively I enjoy a lot of what has come out since The Avengers (Winter Solider is my favorite Marvel movie besides The Avengers) but I think any poll done of both casual fans and comic book news would say the Avengers is the best of the MCU.
Black Panther tops the Tomato meter. Iron Man second, Thor Ragnorok third. Some other rankings:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...movies-ranked/

https://www.gamesradar.com/every-mcu...rst-to-best/2/

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...18-5?r=US&IR=T

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/5/8...aptain-america

https://variety.com/gallery/marvel-m...atic-universe/

There are plenty more. I only found one that ranks the Avengers number 1 (I'm sure there are others.) My number one is Thor Ragnarok. Probably followed by the Ant Man movies and/or Spider-man, then maybe Winter Soldier. I liked the funny ones the most.

Thats the great thing about the MCU (under Feige): they both have a formula but they aren't constrained by the formula. Taika Waititi kept talking about how he expected to get fired from Ragnarok because he kept doing "his own thing" but the studio just said "no thats fine!" most of the time.

And this interview with the writers of Infinity War (on the Fatman and Batman podcast with Kevin and Marc) gives an insight into why these movies are so good right now. While the writers were trying to break the story for the third Captain America movie, Feige broke the news that they were getting both the Civil War and Spider-man like this. (Warning NSFW language on the link, if you like Marvel movies its worth watching the whole thing) Can you imagine how fricken awesome it would be to have a boss that tells everyone you've got spider-man to play with by miming the web-shooter move and then walking away? Who wouldn't want to work there?

These are geeks: having the time of their lives making movies they wanna see themselves. That's ultimately the Marvel formula and that's why the DC movies (for the most part) continue to disappoint. You look at the Marvel writers, they are people like McFeely or Markus or Eric Pearson who wrote the Marvel One-shots or Craig Kyle who created an actual mutant for the comics and has been writing for Marvel on TV since 2003. Compare that to David S. Goyer, who has had a hand in writing most of the DC movies but IMHO he's been writing with the same bleak vision since his screen-writing career began.

As for Captain Marvel, I was a bit "meh" before the trailer, but after it? I'm all in.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The funny thing is that Carol Danvers, as a character, probably *does* date from the time when you were reading comic books. She's had a terribly convoluted history in the Marvel Universe.

Danvers started out as a supporting character in the late 1960s, in stories with Marvel's first Captain Marvel (who was a Kree).
Quote:
GotG started in 1969, but they were a very different team. Yondu, who was less of a space redneck in the comics as I understand it, plus Sylvester Stallone's group. The 2008 team's characters were older (e.g. Star Lord 1976) but pretty obscure.
I don't think I was reading comics much by the time I was in high school (1965-1969). Anyway, I said they "were developed" more than a decade after I stopped reading them, by which I meant that they acquired the form they appear in in the current movies. I wasn't very familiar with Black Panther either, who first appeared in 1966, before seeing the movie.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
If memory holds, super strength in the fifteen ton range, flight, enhanced durability (basic FISS pack), energy projection from her hands (I think concussive bolt but don't quote me on that.), and "Cosmic Awareness". Vaguely defined - basically it boils down to that she knows whatever she needs to know, when she needs to know it.

Let us not forget her "Binary" powers, which it looks like they are using in the movie. That means basically tapping into the power of a white hole. We're talking the power of a star. Feige wasn't kidding when he calls her "the most powerful hero ever in the MCU."
Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 PM

After seeing the trailer I'm... less interested? I watched it at work with the sound off but got around to seeing it "for real" and, eh. If it didn't have the MCU label attached to it and was just Space Woman or something, I wouldn't have any interest in it based on the trailer. Maybe the next trailer will give me something to be excited about.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but that isn't true. The only non Avenger Marvel movies to make more than the original Iron Man are:

No, I don't think it would. And "the only non-Avengers movies" followed by like 7 movies is not a convincing argument.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 PM

I don't know the character at all but I'm very interested after watching the trailer. I wish Samuel Jackson wasn't Nick Fury, tho, or that Nick Fury wasn't involved in the story; I don't care for him in the role.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post

You never set the benchmark as "the original Iron Man." You claimed the box office had peaked: that clearly isn't the case, and the person who makes the case that this isn't the case is you.
I was rebutting the assertion that the Phase 2 movies were more successful than the first Avengers. My point was not only was that not true (only the two movies released this year are more successful than the first Avengers), most of them were not even more successful than the movie that started the entire franchise.

Until this year The Avengers was the highest grossing MCU movie by far. I think saying it was the peak is fair. I like the Marvel Movies, you don't have to turn me in to the Gestapo for bad thoughts. I just find I'm getting bored by them.

Last edited by Quimby; 09-19-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I was rebutting the assertion that the Phase 2 movies were more successful than the first Avengers.
Well, you were TRYING to, but you didn't actually succeed.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Being a mere green belt as a Comic Book Nerd, not to mention an old guy, the only Captain Marvel movie I could get excited about would feature the Big Red Cheese.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 09-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Being a mere green belt as a Comic Book Nerd, not to mention an old guy, the only Captain Marvel movie I could get excited about would feature the Big Red Cheese.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capt...vel_(DC_Comics)
He's coming out the month after.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

The automatic URL parser doesn't work well with addresses that end with a parenthesis, which unfortunately includes a lot of Wikipedia pages. I've manually fixed it.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

While I’m going there, who can explain to me the point of creating a new character and giving her the same name as a famous Golden Age hero? Will they next introduce a hero who can blind villains with bursts of strong light, and call her the Flash?

How hard would it have been to come up with an original name for this person? They could have called her...I dunno...Super-Girl or sumpin.’
Old 09-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
He's coming out the month after.
No fooling? Thank you for the info!

Apt to cause a bit of con-FUSE-ion...mind if we call him “Captain Marvel” to keep it clee-uh?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thank you, Chronos. I just edited to delete the damn link as unnecessary. I figure anyone who opens this thread probably even could recite what all the letters in “Shazam” stand for.