Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM

10/3 @ 2:18PM...Anyone turning off their phone? [Presidential alert test]

The question says it all.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM

I'm not.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM

I don't really think it does.

I presume that time is when there will be a test of the Presidential Alert System. This will cause a sound to play on your phone and an alert saying that it is only a test. There is no way to actually turn this feature off.

Since I am at home all day, I let my mother use my cell phone, and I doubt she is going to bother to turn it off. If it wasn't going to go off on everyone else's, I could see it getting her in trouble. But, since it will happen to everyone, it'll be fine.

If I had a phone at home, I might at least try to turn it off, if I remember. I would just be curious what would happen: would I get the alert as soon as I turn the phone back on?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Why would I turn my phone off on 10/3 at 2:18pm?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Will this text make it through any white-listing applications that can be run?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:48 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogophers View Post
The question says it all.
No it doesn't.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM
born to be shunned

One of the many reasons I'm glad I kept my landline. I don't think I have to worry and if something does get through I have the answering machine screening all the time.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Why would I turn my phone off on 10/3 at 2:18pm?
It is the time of the test of the new emergency alert system that will go out to most cell phones. Some are flipping out that Trump is going to use the test in some nefarious way.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
There is no way to actually turn this feature off.
Feature, huh. Yeah, I'm not at all happy about the situation. I have a reminder set on my phone so that I can turn my phone off and take a knee at the agreed upon time.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Feature, huh. Yeah, I'm not at all happy about the situation. I have a reminder set on my phone so that I can turn my phone off and take a knee at the agreed upon time.
Take a knee? That shows respect. I'ma take shit.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 09-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
So you WANT soldiers to die?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
So you WANT soldiers to die?
Of course! Enemy soldiers gotta die.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
No it doesn't.
What part confuses you?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
What part confuses you?
The context. The "Why?" You provided neither of those things in your OP.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM

I’m not.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
What part confuses you?
Your op is incredibly incomplete. This is not a well known "issue". Next time please provide some context, you failed to supply even a link to the context which is a crappy setup for an op, but this op takes it to the next step of empty content.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM

I'm not going to turn off my land line phone. I'm a rebel that way.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Here is a helpful link on what is going on.

People are fearing the President will abuse it and send us all Tweet-like guidance, rather than emergency alerts. Good points being made that we already have emergency alert systems in place at the state and local level, so why this?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Oh Christ I can't wait for "DemocRATS impeached me based on FAKE NEWS! The Constitution is hereby temporarily suspended"
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Good points being made that we already have emergency alert systems in place at the state and local level, so why this?
T-man can't send us dickpix through the emergency alert system. Or remind us to vote for him. And remind us to seek out and report potentially illegal occupants of the USA. Or brownies. Or furrners in general.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
People are fearing the President will abuse it and send us all Tweet-like guidance, rather than emergency alerts.
Personally, I'm just pissed off that I cannot opt-out. I pay my cellular bill, I should have control over my device.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'm just pissed off that I cannot opt-out. I pay my cellular bill, I should have control over my device.
I wonder if, depending on the plan, some people will be charged for this.

Will Trump be able to chalk-up some credit for himself, like "For the first time in history, a President is able to warn most Americans of impending danger."?

Last edited by snowthx; 09-18-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
T-man can't send us dickpix through the emergency alert system. Or remind us to vote for him. And remind us to seek out and report potentially illegal occupants of the USA. Or brownies. Or furrners in general.
I will start panicking about this once it starts happening, myself.

Actually, if I start receiving dicpix from him on my landline, I'll really panic.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:

People are fearing the President will abuse it and send us all Tweet-like guidance, rather than emergency alerts. Good points being made that we already have emergency alert systems in place at the state and local level, so why this?
Because so many people don't watch TV or listen to radio any more. This will provide greater coverage. Do we need it? that's another question, but there is a reason for it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I will start panicking about this once it starts happening, myself.

Actually, if I start receiving dicpix from him on my landline, I'll really panic.
It's old news. Word on the street is pix of his weiner are readily available through a number of Russian sources. Melania's artwork is even more widely available, so that's probably even less likely. I wish I could say for sure he won't spam us all at 2:00 AM with "U mad bro?" and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Because so many people don't watch TV or listen to radio any more. This will provide greater coverage. Do we need it? that's another question, but there is a reason for it.
I've abandoned radio & TV to get away from him! Do I need to get a restraining order as well? At least the mods can ban me if I get too obnoxious, we have no way of keeping this man out of our faces.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 09-18-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 PM

What Exit?, thanks for the link. Part of the article states:

"According to Scott*, the WEA is an intrusive alert system because it stops all forms of communications to your mobile device while the alert is processing. The Emergency Alert System (EAS), which he deems less intrusive, displays emergency messages on T.V. and radio."

So, if I have a real emergency and need to call 911, I won't be able to during that time? My father's life might have been saved a few years ago if we could have gotten the medics to him a few seconds sooner. Of the millions of people in the country, how many will be in his situation because all cell phones are tied up with this test? (I'd like to say more on the subject but am trying to remain calm.)

Also, can our system handle every cell phone in the country being called at the same time? Is it possible that some areas will be overloaded and go offline, meaning, once again, lack of access to 911? I'd like to know these answers before such a test happens.

*Jeramie Scott, director of the Electronic Privacy Information Centerís Domestic Surveillance Project,
Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Shutting off your phone doesn't block a text.

It'll get delivered whenever you finally turn it on.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 PM

If only we could get people to turn down government aid because they dislike POTUS so much, that would surely help our deficit issues.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
It's old news. Word on the street is pix of his weiner are readily available through a number of Russian sources. Melania's artwork is even more widely available, so that's probably even less likely. I wish I could say for sure he won't spam us all at 2:00 AM with "U mad bro?" and such.
I've abandoned radio & TV to get away from him! Do I need to get a restraining order as well? At least the mods can ban me if I get too obnoxious, we have no way of keeping this man out of our faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
What Exit?, thanks for the link. Part of the article states:

"According to Scott*, the WEA is an intrusive alert system because it stops all forms of communications to your mobile device while the alert is processing. The Emergency Alert System (EAS), which he deems less intrusive, displays emergency messages on T.V. and radio."

So, if I have a real emergency and need to call 911, I won't be able to during that time? My father's life might have been saved a few years ago if we could have gotten the medics to him a few seconds sooner. Of the millions of people in the country, how many will be in his situation because all cell phones are tied up with this test? (I'd like to say more on the subject but am trying to remain calm.)

Also, can our system handle every cell phone in the country being called at the same time? Is it possible that some areas will be overloaded and go offline, meaning, once again, lack of access to 911? I'd like to know these answers before such a test happens.

*Jeramie Scott, director of the Electronic Privacy Information Centerís Domestic Surveillance Project,
Just to clarify, I am not defending this, I was just explaining it. I don't particularly like the idea and see only a small need for it. But it is not as if there was no reason at all.

As to overloading the circuits, it happened on 9/11 in the entire NYC metro area, so it seems to me like you bring up a good point Hopeful Crow.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:47 PM

I plan on keeping it on so I can see if there's a way to block the incoming number.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:59 PM

The test is supposed to take place at 2:18 p.m. EDT on Sept. 20. Under the Warning, Alert, and Response Network (WARN) Act of 2006, cellphone users cannot opt out of the presidential alerts.

So what's happening on the third?
Old 09-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Shutting off your phone doesn't block a text.
They are emergency alerts, not text messages; they don't come in to your the same way.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM

I'll be training new students, so I'll leave my phone in my office. I'm not averse to the alert system, but don't like not being able to mute it.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:11 PM

I rarely ever turn my on.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if, depending on the plan, some people will be charged for this.
Quote:
Will I be charged for the reception of this alert?

No, you will not be charged for this test alert, nor will you be charged for any EAS or WEA messages received.
https://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
So, if I have a real emergency and need to call 911, I won't be able to during that time?
It will be sent on the same system that Amber alerts are sent out in, which does not interfere with being able to make or continue phone calls. Though with this test you can't opt out.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
The test is supposed to take place at 2:18 p.m. EDT on Sept. 20. Under the Warning, Alert, and Response Network (WARN) Act of 2006, cellphone users cannot opt out of the presidential alerts.

The test was delayed until Oct 3rd. FEMA is tied up with hurricane relief currently.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post

It's been changed to the 3rd of Oct. Someone in the Pit thread said having an Emergency Alert going out on the anniversary of when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico might have been bad optics.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
What part confuses you?
Questions usually have some kind of point, and you failed to provide any. You don't explain why anyone would turn off their phone at that time, or what the reason is for either keeping it on or turning it off. Even someone who was aware of the issue might not be aware of the exact time of the test. So "The question says it all" should have been "The question by itself says absolutely nothing comprehensible."

This is a prime example of not realizing that not everyone has the same experience as you. I and many other dopers don't even live in the US, so this isn't an issue for us.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
What part confuses you?
Many people got it. But some did not. I got it, as did others apparently, based on their replies.

For "The question says it all", well, it does not but I think the OP was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. It was enough for some of us.

And the SDMB snitty nit-picking is going on. Jeez, guys, give it a break. Have you nothing else better to do? Rhetorical question there, obviously you don't.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
And the SDMB snitty nit-picking is going on. Jeez, guys, give it a break. Have you nothing else better to do? Rhetorical question there, obviously you don't.
And of course, neither do you.

I am doing something else. Replying to threads is a mini-break from work. You might as well ask, "Don't you have anything better to do than have a cup of coffee?"
Old 09-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
And of course, neither do you.

I am doing something else. Replying to threads is a mini-break from work. You might as well ask, "Don't you have anything better to do than have a cup of coffee?"
I'm not pursuing the matter repeatedly (well until now). I'm asking folks to back off a bit and give him a break.

I'm sucking on a Diet Coke, myself. I should probably get back to work...
Old 09-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

According to spy novels, you can completely shut down your phone, GPS and all, by pulling the battery out. If true, you can escape any big notify in that way. As for me, I don't fear the orange one quite that much. It's your call.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott View Post
According to spy novels, you can completely shut down your phone, GPS and all, by pulling the battery out. If true, you can escape any big notify in that way. As for me, I don't fear the orange one quite that much. It's your call.
According to spy movies you have to run over it with a truck. Or just snap off the screen if it's a flip phone, the same way that shooting a computer monitor erases its hard drive.

Last edited by begbert2; 09-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea what this was about, and no, my phone will not be turned off.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Terrible OP
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Feature, huh.
As I understand it, the Linux community have a saying that "feature" is a synonym for "bug".
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 PM

I have no problem recieving Amber alerts, tornado warnings and such on my phone. This, however is being touted as a "Presidential" alert. What a crock of insecure musroom penis bullshit.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The test was delayed until Oct 3rd. FEMA is tied up with hurricane relief currently.
Because irony is a powerful force in this administration...

I don't want the president texting me during an emergency; he's got other important things to do. Delegate, fer chrissake; I'm sure he's got lots of competent people around who... oh.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I have no problem recieving Amber alerts, tornado warnings and such on my phone. This, however is being touted as a "Presidential" alert. What a crock of insecure musroom penis bullshit.
Here, here! I waited and someone did it! Thx.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I rarely ever turn my on.
Gato, dude your avatar. You kill me.