Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Stupidest "sport" you've seen televised

Yeah, if you look at it certain ways, many/most athletic endeavors can be described as silly, pointless, etc. But I saw something on TV last night that truly caused my jaw to drop.

I don't watch a lot of sports, but whatever station was on when I turned on the set had something called equestrian vaulting. They had individual and team events, where as many as 3 people were on the horse at a time. It impressed me as competitive circus acts.

The competitors and announcers were taking it very seriously. How would someone decide to get into something like that? Hang around the stables and say, "Hey, do you mind if I do some flips off of your horses?"

So, what have you seen on TV that is sillier.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Yeah, if you look at it certain ways, many/most athletic endeavors can be described as silly, pointless, etc. But I saw something on TV last night that truly caused my jaw to drop.

I don't watch a lot of sports, but whatever station was on when I turned on the set had something called equestrian vaulting. They had individual and team events, where as many as 3 people were on the horse at a time. It impressed me as competitive circus acts.

The competitors and announcers were taking it very seriously. How would someone decide to get into something like that? Hang around the stables and say, "Hey, do you mind if I do some flips off of your horses?"

You try vaulting, honey, if you think you're so smart. Do you think gymnastics silly? Because it is just gymnastics only with a horse added to make it more dangerous and thrilling. You need the same kinds of skills.

Personally I think American football is way stupider than vaulting.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:58 PM

Hot dog eating contests.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

One of the ESPN's had a national (Maybe world?) cornhole championship. The competitors took it very seriously.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 09-20-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Battle of the Network Stars Celebrity Dunk Tank

SPOILER:
It wasn't really about the athletics.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Poker. W-T-F.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
One of the ESPN's had a national (Maybe world?) cornhole championship. The competitors took it very seriously.
Yeah, I saw some of that. Silly, but they were also really good at it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Hey! One of my friends is one of the top American cornhole players! Cornhole’s legit!

A little while ago I was at a brunch and ESPN was on in the background. They were showing a roundnet tournament. I thought it was odd just because I’d never heard of it and yet here it was on national TV. I couldn’t really figure the game out from watching it across the bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundnet
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Personally I think American football is way stupider than vaulting.
What? Itís the greatest sport in the world!

I know itís not for everyone, but it is the greatest ó speed, power, strength, skill, teamwork, grace, balance, foot skills and hand-eye coordination... nothing is better.

But yeah, I get it, if you donít like it, then you donít like it.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM

Yep — hot dog eating contests. Now that’s a silly sport.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I watched miniature golf on ESPN back in the day.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Probably bowling. I’ve done league and tournament bowling on-and-off for almost 30 years so it’s not like I have anything against it but it sure ain’t a spectator sport.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Probably bowling. Iíve done league and tournament bowling on-and-off for almost 30 years so itís not like I have anything against it but it sure ainít a spectator sport.
Announcer: What do you think he's gonna do next, Jim?

Announcer #2: I think he's gonna try and knock those pins over, Al.

(paraphrased from George Carlin)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 PM

14 posts and nobody has mentioned curling? (Although I'll be honest, it looks fun, as does the luge.)
Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
14 posts and nobody has mentioned curling? (Although I'll be honest, it looks fun, as does the luge.)
I'll watch curling over everything thus far mentioned...including football.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I would have but Iíve never watched the great Canadian sport of Ice Brooming.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
A lot of folks who donít know any better might say racewalking.

I do know better; it is racewalking.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 PM

I actually considered saying that, until I thought of curling. It looks ridiculous, BUT Olympic-level racewalkers cover long distances - IIRC, 20K and 50K, which is 31 miles - at surprisingly fast paces, less than 7 minutes per mile. Most people can't run that fast, let alone that far, and lots of them are disqualified because they're supposed to have one foot on the ground at all times, and are allowed ONE scratch.

Televised professional bowling was quite popular in the 1970s.

I've heard several people say, "Why is beach volleyball so popular?" and my response has been, "Have you seen how they dress, or don't dress in the case of the women?"
Old 09-20-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah to the uninitiated it may look quirky. I’ve never been a fan, but on a family vacation to Niagara Falls we did a family outing to the historic Niagara Falls Curling Club (it dates to 1891) and we had an intro lesson and then we, my wife and I and our 3 20-somethings kids and our daughter’s boyfriend took basic curling lessons and then we played for a little while. It is very tricky!

And besides being educational, it was fun and memorable too.

So now when there’s curling in the Olympics, we aren’t as quick to change the channel.

Last edited by Bullitt; 09-20-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 PM

I'll watch bowling any day of the week. Properly telecasted, of course. I gave up when they turned the finals events into something like the 17th hole at Phoenix, with cheering while they bowled, etc.

Curling is fascinating to watch, especially now that they are experimenting with better viewing angles to show the curl more. Of course, I curl, so I know what is involved.

For me, most of the made-up exhibition X-games type sports are just stupid. Instead of pretending they are competitions, just acknowledge that they are people showing off mad skilz and leave it at that.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:43 PM

The one where they chase a round of cheese down a steep slope, which renders unscheduled broken bones to the participants (England?).

The wife-carrying race (Finland?).
Old 09-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
A lot of folks who donít know any better might say racewalking.

I do know better; it is racewalking.
As a native of the Seattle area I have to link to the great Bill Nye as his super hero alter ego:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM

1. Quidditch
2. Spikeball
3. Arena Football
Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
. . . it sure ainít a spectator sport.
A lot television is predicated on the fact that so many people would rather sit around watching anything rather than get off their asses and actually do something themselves. That's how we got reality TV.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:54 AM

I'm not very interested in sport, and I tend to listen to television while doing other things, so I don't tend to want to watch it because it's all I can do BUT when I was stuck in hospital I watched whatever came on the telly. One show I watched was people going fishing on boats. It was actually quite entertaining. There was another show where these people caught crocodiles (alligators?). It wasn't really "sport", they caught these crocodiles as a job, still it was a whole other world to me. (it was Louisiana or somewhere, I'm not sure where it was set)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
1. Quidditch
There can be no other answer.

It's a fictional sport made up by someone who doesn't understand sports, designed to make her character a hero, turned into a "real" sport by making people run around with brooms between their legs.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 AM

High school football.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Try it some time. The season is just starting and lots of curling clubs have open houses and introductory events.

I just have to send in some paperwork and I'll be a certified curling instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
1. Quidditch
Yeah, I caught a little bit of that on TV the other day. Isn't it basically "catch the snitch and you win, everybody else is just getting dirty for no reason"?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I've seen both frisbee and dominoes on ESPN. I'm not sure which was stupider.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I've seen both frisbee
Dog frisbee is quite entertaining, because the dogs are cute.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I've heard several people say, "Why is beach volleyball so popular?" and my response has been, "Have you seen how they dress, or don't dress in the case of the women?"
Probably the only sport with a rule limiting the maximum size of the bikini a competitor must wear.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 AM

Brits of a certain age will remember the Indian sport of Kabbadi being televised on C4 for a time. Far be it from me to call it stupid, but it was defo a WTF is this all about viewing experience. Looked like professional sportsmen playing 'Tag you're it'.

Rugby union used to be televised in the UK back in the amateur era - that was pretty stupid. Rugby union's a fine game and all these days, but seeing assorted greengrocers, policemen, butchers etc wheezing around the pitch, leathering the ball out on the full for no reason, was hardly television material.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
You try vaulting, honey, if you think you're so smart. Do you think gymnastics silly? Because it is just gymnastics only with a horse added to make it more dangerous and thrilling. ...
Wow - never guessed I'd insult a fan so quickly! Apologies. Didn't mean to suggest it was not difficult. Only that it impressed me as silly - as I said most sports do.

But using your criteria, let's see what common athletic endeavors can be made "more dangerous and thrilling" by adding in an animal? Well, besides the obvious of water polo! Rhino golf? Moose diving?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Wow - never guessed I'd insult a fan so quickly! Apologies. Didn't mean to suggest it was not difficult. Only that it impressed me as silly - as I said most sports do.
I was coming to pile on, but I see you've apologized.

For reals, though, one of my best friends was a vaulter when we were younger. She was literally the strongest, most graceful, most fit woman I have ever known. She could run along side a cantering horse taller than her and pull herself up onto his back with one hand in one smooth motion. Then proceed to do gymnastics. I was in awe the first time I saw it. Silly, maybe, but true athletes for sure.

But to answer the original question...food eating contests and playing cards are NOT sports, and to call them such is stupid.

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 09-21-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Back in the 1960s and 1970s in the US, "Wide World of Sports" would show weird sports from across the world. The weirdest from my memory was barrel jumping. It was done on ice, the competitor would pick up speed and try to jump a bunch of barrels. Weirdly silly.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Well, "stupid" is in the eye of the beholder. For me, however, "synchronized swimming" is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Last edited by Jasmine; 09-21-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Moose diving?
Well, there was horse diving, though it wasn't really a sport.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Buzkashi is a Central Asian sport in which horse-mounted players attempt to place a goat carcass in a goal.

So like polo, but with a dead goat.

I am sure it has been televised somewhere.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Baseball. 90% of the game is literally guys just standing around.

I slowly back out of the room and run away...
Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Poker. W-T-F.
Hey now. I would rather watch poker than darts, which are also televised. I know dart throwing is a skill but calling morbidly obese men throwing darts at a board for hours on end a "sport" is stretching it.

Quote:
The 2002 Winter Olympics women's curling was freaking gripping - Britain was virtually knocked out and was saved by a fluke, and then came back to win gold on the last stone. Plus you got Rhona Martin's buzzsaw-on-rebar voice for added excitement.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
But to answer the original question...food eating contests and playing cards are NOT sports, and to call them such is stupid.
Agreed. But the OP was asking about "sports" rather than sports.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
What? Itís the greatest sport in the world!

I know itís not for everyone, but it is the greatest ó speed, power, strength, skill, teamwork, grace, balance, foot skills and hand-eye coordination... nothing is better.

But yeah, I get it, if you donít like it, then you donít like it.
Any sport that almost guarantees permanent brain damage has something wrong with it, in my opinion. Call me crazy.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:

But using your criteria, let's see what common athletic endeavors can be made "more dangerous and thrilling" by adding in an animal? Well, besides the obvious of water polo! Rhino golf? Moose diving?
All of them.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 09-21-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM

The recent thread about the popularity of "e-sports" gives me my answer. There's nothing more appealing than the thought of watching a bunch of fatasses drinking Mountain Dew and mashing buttons on their video game controllers with their fat fingers.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Any sport that almost guarantees permanent brain damage has something wrong with it, in my opinion. Call me crazy.
Well, you exaggerate a bit, I believe, but otherwise that is very concerning. Football needs to correct that, and with rule changes that took effect this season they might be making progress on that.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM

I think there are two contenders.

First, back in about 1994 or so, I watched about 15 minutes of figure-eight auto racing on ESPN2 in the wee hours of the morning after a night out in college. Just dumb; the whole point was watching to see if they'd collide as the leaders started to intersect the drivers at the end.

The second was at a similar time on the same channel at about the same time- it was swamp buggy racing. More inexplicable, less pointlessly dangerous.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Darts.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 AM

deep sea fishing with the Dallas cowboys cheerleaders. They wore skimpy outfits and I bet the ratings were good.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Baseball. 90% of the game is literally guys just standing around.
Have you ever watched cricket? It's the same and people love it.....
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think there are two contenders.

First, back in about 1994 or so, I watched about 15 minutes of figure-eight auto racing on ESPN2 in the wee hours of the morning after a night out in college. Just dumb; the whole point was watching to see if they'd collide as the leaders started to intersect the drivers at the end....
When I used to be into classic cars, we did an outing where they featured figure-8 BUS races!

Yeah - alcohol was involved by the spectators - as well as, I imagine - the participants!

I remember barrel jumping on WWS. Wonder if they still do that anywhere?

Two of my nieces are on the US national underwater hockey team. Recently competed in the world championships in Quebec. Gotta be one of the stupidest activities I've ever heard of. I've seen it on-line, but can't imagine it has ever been more widely televised.

These young women are INCREDIBLY fit. Not taking anything away from them in that respect. But MAN, is their chosen avocation silly.