Old 10-07-2018, 09:53 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Obscure places in songs that you have been to.

Name a song that has an obscure reference to a real place. Here's the catch, you have to have physically been there yourself. The more obscure the better.

I was thinking about this today while I was in Belmar NJ driving down 10th Avenue of "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" fame. In fact I drove through the intersection of 10th Avenue and E Street.

When Carole King and Gerry Goffin were married and writing together they lived in a house in West Orange New Jersey. They wrote a song commenting on suburban life and used their neighborhood as inspiration. The main road next to their house in Pleasant Valley Way. The song was "Pleasant Valley Sunday" which was a big hit for the Monkees. I've been on that street many times.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Tom Waits, Filipino Box Spring Hog. Album: Mule Variations

Quote:
Kathleen was sittin down In little reds recovery room in her criminal underwear bra. I was naked to the waist with my fierce black hound
Red's recovery room was a bar in Cotati
Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 PM

It's a deep track on the album Prolonging the Magic, but I have been in the Alpha Beta parking lot that Cake is singing about in the aptly titled song, "Alpha Beta Parking Lot".

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 10-07-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:18 PM

Might not be obscure to a lot of folks around here, but the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota, in Darwin, MN.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 PM

Bob Seger "Turn the page" mentions his location as east of Omaha. I live in Des Moines, Ia. Pretty much east of Omaha.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:29 PM

I have been "all along that lonesome highway, east of Omaha".

I have also "found myself surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends" but I'm not sure that fits here.

I've been to the Dew Drop Inn in Jackson Mississippi, on a Saturday night. But the place was chill, I didn't have to tuck my hair up under my hat, and I had no car problems.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

In 1981, Canadian singer/songwriter Bruce Cockburn wrote a song called "Coldest Night of the Year," about a winter in Toronto. It included the line, "Now the sun is lurking just behind the Scarborough horizon."

Scarborough is the eastern part of Toronto, and Cockburn is referring to the dawn. As a former Torontonian, I haven't just been to Scarborough; I went to school there. I saw a few sunrises there too.

There were other references to Toronto in the song (for example, Yonge Street, which I've been on many times, on foot, on my bike, in a car, etc.), but Scarborough would be a little more obscure to any non-Torontonian.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:31 PM

I've been to 'Blue Bayou'. Pretty sure it wasn't THE blue bayou in the Ronstant song. I took a picture standing by the sign anyway.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM

I used to live "out on 441" as sung by Tom Petty in "American Girl."
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I've been to Winslow, Arizona. I don't recall if I ever stood on a corner there, and if I did I probably didn't have seven women on my mind, like The Eagles in Take It Easy.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-07-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 PM

I've been to all the places in Rodgers and Hart's Manhattan.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 PM

I've been through Winslow, AZ a few times on the Interstate. Does that count?

That city has a designated corner that is a big tourist attraction.

https://www.google.com/destination/m...m%3D/m/02qlvrr
Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 PM

I've been to Dildo, Newfoundland, and some of the other places in this song.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:18 PM

Been on a levee in a chevy. It wasn't dry though.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 PM

I discovered I was "in a song" a couple of times.

Bored to death on a family road trip, I was looking at the map and said "Hey! We're on the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston!" The driver (my dad) was not interested in why that was worth remarking on (Sweet Baby James).

And, long before we'd heard the Eagles version, a friend and I did Jackson Browne covers including Take It Easy (it was Mr. Browne who had broken down in Winslow, Arizona and written most of the song). So I had to jump out so I could stand on a corner.

And then, shortly after hearing my first Bruce Cockburn album, I detoured through Toronto right at dawn (NO one on the streets, eerie...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
In 1981, Canadian singer/songwriter Bruce Cockburn wrote a song called "Coldest Night of the Year," about a winter in Toronto. It included the line, "Now the sun is lurking just behind the Scarborough horizon."

Scarborough is the eastern part of Toronto, and Cockburn is referring to the dawn...
Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Iíve been to both the crossroads of Highway 61 and Highway 49 in Clarksdale, MS, and the crossroads of Highway 1 and Highway 8 in Rosedale, MS. Opinion is divided about which of these is the site where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil. https://rolfpotts.com/robert-johnson...e-mississippi/

Iíve been to the Ivar Theater in Hollywood on a Saturday night. In ďEmotional Weather Report,Ē Tom waits talks about a place where itís ďColder than the ticket taker's smile at the Ivar Theatre, on Saturday night.Ē https://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20wa...aphy/ivar.html
Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been to Broadway in Seattle, which Sir Mix-a-Lot has a posse on.

And I live in Olympia, which Rancid is headed back to.

Last edited by Smapti; 10-07-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
And then, shortly after hearing my first Bruce Cockburn album, I detoured through Toronto right at dawn (NO one on the streets, eerie...)
Did you go through Scarborough? Or as we used to call it, especially in winter, "Scarberia"?

Thinking further, I've been to Watertown, New York (Harry Chapin's "Better Place to Be"), and down the hill into Scranton, Pennsylvania (Harry Chapin's "30,000 Pounds of Bananas").

I also once counted the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike on my way from Princeton, NJ; to New York City. Hey, they all came to look for America, right?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 AM

I've been to the Penzance (Cornwall, England) of Patrick Wolf's song of the same name.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXJohns View Post
Bob Seger "Turn the page" mentions his location as east of Omaha. I live in Des Moines, Ia. Pretty much east of Omaha.
Slipknot, who are from Des Moines, have an album called "Iowa."

They also have a song called "People = Shit." I grew up in Des Moines, and am not the slightest bit surprised that something like this came out of there.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:44 AM

I've been to Wollongong.

(I've been everywhere, man).

I've been to Bali too.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 AM

When Black Friday comes
I fly down to Muswellbrook
Gonna strike all the big red words
From my little black book

Gonna do just what I please
Gonna wear no socks and shoes
With nothing to do but feed
All the kangaroos

On my last visit I took off shoes and socks in homage to Steely Dan, although they were compelled to pronounce it Muss-well-brook instead of the local Muscle-brook.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 AM

I've been to Tom's Diner. The place was lousy with Seinfeld memorabilia, but I did find one Suzanne Vega article hung on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I've been to Broadway in Seattle, which Sir Mix-a-Lot has a posse on.

And I live in Olympia, which Rancid is headed back to.
You've passed Sleater-Kinney Rd. many times, I'm sure.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 AM

Adding to the other Tom Waits mentions, there's Looks Like I'm Up Shit Creek Again. I've paddled those waters on several occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I've been to Winslow, Arizona. I don't recall if I ever stood on a corner there, and if I did I probably didn't have seven women on my mind, like The Eagles in Take It Easy.
A friend retired a few years ago. He packed up a car and drove around for a few years. He sent me a picture of him and his gf standing on that corner, which is marked in recognition of the song. He drove to Winslow specifically to stand on that corner.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I've landed on San Diego and Buzzards Bay, but not Comanche Skypark, from Jimmy Buffett's Volcano.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I was walking through the streets of Soho in the rain and looked up to see I was standing in front of a restaurant called Lee Ho Fuk. I decided to eat there, but didn't get the beef chow mein.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:05 AM

Hah! I got everyone beat! I'm posting this FROM said obscure spot. I'm heading for it on the 147 CTA Bus. The song is called Lake Shore Drive and the line goes, "It starts up north from Hollywood, water on your driver's side..."

And I'm here....... NOW!!!! WOO HOO!!! Hollywood & LSD!!!! COOL!!!!!

Well, that was exciting.

Now what?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

In Frankie Valliís ďMy Eyes Adore YouĒ he sings, ďwalking home everyday over Barnegat Bridge and Bay.Ē Iím not sure which one heís talking about. There are 3 major bridges over Barnegat Bay and Iíve been on all of them. And Iíve been over, on, and in Barnegat Bay.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

A friend retired a few years ago. He packed up a car and drove around for a few years. He sent me a picture of him and his gf standing on that corner, which is marked in recognition of the song. He drove to Winslow specifically to stand on that corner.
Itís more than just marked. There is a bronze statue of a guitar player that looks like Glen Frey. There is a mural behind the statue that looks like an old store front. Reflected in the window of the shop is a girl my lord in a flatbed Ford. Lots of people drive there to stand on that corner. The town is counting on it.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Hah! I got everyone beat! I'm posting this FROM said obscure spot. I'm heading for it on the 147 CTA Bus. The song is called Lake Shore Drive and the line goes, "It starts up north from Hollywood, water on your driver's side..."
"Concrete mountains rearing up, throwing shadows just about five..."[/I] I must be old, that next line popped into my head.

I got to see a tour of bands promoted by WCFL in the 60s, and the last remaining member of Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah sang this. As did the whole crowd...

And there ain't no road just like it
Anywhere I found
Running south on Lake Shore Drive
headin' into town

Just slippin' on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 AM

nm

Last edited by txjim; 10-08-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: not on topic...
Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 AM

https://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/...nder_road.html The Ballad Of Thunder Road
provides a list of places in Tennessee and surrounding states that I have been to over the years since the 1950s when the song (and movie) were popular.
My brother lived in Knoxville for a while and was near some of those places. His place was just off of Kingston Pike, for instance.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Itís more than just marked. There is a bronze statue of a guitar player that looks like Glen Frey. There is a mural behind the statue that looks like an old store front. Reflected in the window of the shop is a girl my lord in a flatbed Ford. Lots of people drive there to stand on that corner. The town is counting on it.
Hah! He took a selfie of him and his gf. He mentioned that he had to wait in line to do it, but I thought he was kidding.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

There's a Ben Folds Five song called "Kate" and it goes "Down by Rosemary and Cameron, she hands out the Bhagavad Gita" It's referencing Rosemary St. and Cameron Ave. in Chapel Hill, NC. Those streets don't cross but if you're on the UNC campus you're near both. So I've been there.

Bonus points - on an earlier album the song "Where's Summer B?" mentions a dude named Joe Caparo. I stayed at his house for a week!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

Front Porch Song by Robert Earl Keen has this line:

This old porch is just a steamin' greasy plate of enchiladas
With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad
You can get 'em at the La Salle hotel in old down town,
With iced tea and a waitress who will smile every time

He went to college at A&M in the Bryan/College Station area where there still is a La Salle hotel. I've spent the night there. They don't have a restaurant anymore, so I had enchiladas next door.

Heh, ETA: Lyle Lovett's video has pictures of it. The whole area's been renovated, but that's still largely what it looks like.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-08-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:22 AM

I've been to Electric Avenue in Brixton on various occasions but neither rocked down to it nor took it higher once I got there (unless you count going up to the train platform). It's a pretty happening place most of the time though.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I’ve been to Gallup, New Mexico, probably the most obscure town mentioned in Bobby Troup’s “Route 66.” Even stayed at the El Rancho Hotel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_R...otel_%26_Motel

Also, I’ve been stuck in Lodi again.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Something similar: the rock group Gunhill Road, which had the minor hit "Back When I Hair Was Short." I've driven by the Gun Hill Road that gave the group its name.

I've also spend time on 42nd Street, but that's not obscure.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:31 AM

There's a Christine Lavin song called Regretting What I Said..., the intro to which is:
Quote:
This song is called "Regretting What I Said to You When You
Called Me 11: 00 On a Friday Morning to Tell Me that at 1: 00
Friday Afternoon You're Gonna Leave Your Office, Go Downstairs
Hail a Cab to Go Out to the Airport to Catch a Plane to Go Skiing
In the Alps for Two Weeks, Not that I Wanted to Go With You, I
Wasn't Able to Leave Town, I'm Not a Very Good Skier, I Couldn't
Expect You to Pay My Way, But After Going Out With You for Three
Years I don't Like Surprises!! "
'And it's subtitled "A Musical Apology"
'In this song I attempt to take back everything I said while
Standing in a phone booth on the corner of 49th and 3rd.
I've been to the corner of 49th and 3rd, and looked for a phone booth.

Last edited by Robot Arm; 10-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Horrified Onlooker

I've driven up and down the very curvy road that spawned the song Hot Rod Lincoln - the "Spiral Highway" between Lewiston and Moscow Idaho.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 AM

John Hiatt's Memphis in the Meantime:

Quote:
If we could just get off-a that beat little girl
Maybe we could find the groove
At least we can get a decent meal
Down at the Rendez-vous
I've had ribs there. (great place).
Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 AM

For a few months in 1990, and then again in 2017, I lived near (and biked/walked/drove on) the N17 road in Ireland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32-WdYOeJLk

That's a pretty obscure song, though. I'm sure I could think of something more popular.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:19 AM

In You're So Vain, Carly Simon says the subject (Jagger? Beatty?) "Flew [his] LearJet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun".

We did that. OK, it was a Cessna 172 owned by my dad's flying club, not a personally owned LearJet, but in 1971, I convinced my Dad to fly us to Nova Scotia to see that same event. Spectacular!

And, last year, my son and his buddies drove to North Carolina to see the same.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:38 AM

I too have stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona, but never got stuck in Lodi again.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM

I was at Woodstock. I think there was a song about that?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

One of my favorite Eagles songs is "The Last Resort" from the Hotel California album.

Growing up, I had only a vague sense where Rhode Island actually was (i.e. one of the many, small, mish-mash of states in the Northeast), so was somewhat bemused when the Navy later sent me there for a duty assignment for a few years. One day the song came on, and I suddenly realized I was driving at that moment in Providence, the one in Rhode Island.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:34 PM

In Macklemore's song "Good Old Days" he sings:

In a small club in Minnesota
And the snow outside of 1st Ave
I just wanted my name in a star
now look at where we at

I live in Minneapolis so of course I've been to plenty of concerts at 1st Ave (and 7th Street Entry). The outside walls of the building are painted black with silver stars, and inside the stars are the names of bands that have played 1st Ave over the years (except for Prince who has a special gold star).
Old 10-08-2018, 01:34 PM

I've been to San Bernardino, man, but never saw action like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrKpEhAI5o
Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Iíve been to Gallup, New Mexico, probably the most obscure town mentioned in Bobby Troupís ďRoute 66.Ē Even stayed at the El Rancho Hotel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_R...otel_%26_Motel

Also, Iíve been stuck in Lodi again.
I strong teenage memory Iíll never lose is driving through Lodi when the song randomly came on the radio. Unfortunately they were really talking about the one in California not New Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
For a few months in 1990, and then again in 2017, I lived near (and biked/walked/drove on) the N17 road in Ireland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32-WdYOeJLk

That's a pretty obscure song, though. I'm sure I could think of something more popular.
The more obscure the better. Both song and place.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Although itís been refuted by the band, Brandy who Iíve heard is a fine girl is rumored to be based on Mary Ellis from the bandís hometown. Iíve been to the grave of Mary Ellis many times. Itís in the parking lot of a movie theater.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ellis_grave