Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

shows canceled first season- that should not have been canceled.

I will lead with the obvious- Firefly.

Now, of course there are many shows that were canceled too early- Dead Like me, Pushing Daisies, etc. But at least they had a run.

How about your faves that got canceled after a very short run?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Almost Human and No Ordinary Family are at the top of my list for shows that only last one season.

Also, I enjoyed the one season of Celebrity Apprentice where Arnold Schwarzenegger hosted and wished he could have done more.

P.S. Here is are two lists of shows that only lasted one season:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls003237418/

https://www.businessinsider.com/25-b...action-1999-24

Last edited by dorvann; 10-09-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

I will add:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Am...2008_TV_series)

The first (?) New Amsterdam.

Why on earth they copied that title for yet another medical drama, , i don't know.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:10 PM

(Fairly) recent ones include Pan Am and The Finder.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Wonderfalls--Bryan Fuller's followup to Dead Like Me with fourteen episodes, thirteen of which were plotted out in an elaborate arc with often unexpected twists, gallows humor, and utilizing largely then and since unappreciated comedic talents of Caroline Dhavernas, William Sadler, Diana Scarwid, Lee Pace, and Tracie Thoms.

Profit--basically the predecessor to every edgy show with an amoral and sociopathic protagonist that David Chase, Matt Weiner, and Vince Gilligan have made since.

Rubicon--basically an American version of the John le Carré that the BBC does so well, combined with a Three Days of the Condor pervading sense of paranoia and doom.

The ultimate answer is, of course, Freaks and Geeks, despite the presence of the now-insufferable James Franco. It perfectly captures being caught in between social groups with everyone telling you what you should be doing with your life and nobody asking, "What do you want to do?"

Stranger
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Wonderfalls--Bryan Fuller's followup to Dead Like Me with fourteen episodes, thirteen of which were plotted out in an elaborate arc with often unexpected twists, gallows humor, and utilizing largely then and since unappreciated comedic talents of Caroline Dhavernas, William Sadler, Diana Scarwid, Lee Pace, and Tracie Thoms.

The ultimate answer is, of course, Freaks and Geeks, despite the presence of the now-insufferable James Franco. It perfectly captures being caught in between social groups with everyone telling you what you should be doing with your life and nobody asking, "What do you want to do?"
I loved Wonderfalls!

You know, zillions of people, even reviewers have said that they LOVE F&G- but then, why did no-one watch it?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 PM

"Clone High" was a funny show. Likewise for "Jeff & Some Aliens". And I actually thought "Moonbeam City" was fairly funny, even though it got pretty poor reviews.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Limitless
Forever
Matador
Hooten and the Lady
Crimson Field
Partners In Crime (UK murder mystery show)
That one where whatsisface lived each day twice. Awake.

One of my faves was cancelled at first, but very recently renewed again by another network, and that show is called Agatha Raisin.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Trophy Wife. Maybe not a ground-breaking sit-com but it was well-written and it had a good cast.

Action. A pull-no-punches sit-com about the movie business.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Okay, I've watched it recently and it shows its age. But Darren McGavin is still great.

Forever. An interesting detective series where the lead character is a secret immortal.

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. Very funny series with Kristen Ritter playing a great character.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 10-09-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
You know, zillions of people, even reviewers have said that they LOVE F&G- but then, why did no-one watch it?
I never saw it in the original run, and it wasn't the type of show I would have watched at that point, but it is one of the most authentic shows I've seen about high school that nearly everyone can identify with in some way.

Stranger
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I never saw it in the original run,
Same here. Once I found out about it I got it on DVD. But, I still haven't gotten around to watching. Still have way too much other TV to catch up on. But, some day. When I'm in the right mood.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 10-10-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Action. A pull-no-punches sit-com about the movie business.

Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Okay, I've watched it recently and it shows its age. But Darren McGavin is still great.

Forever. An interesting detective series where the lead character is a secret immortal.
Action was good

I loved Kolchak. 20 epis.

Forever (2014) was very good.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quark (for just half a season)
Jennifer Slept Here
Kolchak: TNS
James at 16
Thrill Seekers

Trying to recall others
Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

My So-Called Life. It’s the only time I ever wrote the network.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

The Riches https://g.co/kgs/MSuYBa

Now and Again https://g.co/kgs/Dap4fB

Last edited by davidm; 10-10-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 AM

Two that I liked a lot:

Bakersfield P.D., from 1993, starring Giancarlo Esposito as a big-city cop transferred to small-time Bakersfield PD. A fish-out-of-water series, and very funny.

Aliens in America, from 2007, about a dorky Wisconsin high-schooler trying to fit in whose family gets a Muslim Pakistani exchange student that he's responsible for, in a somewhat intolerant town that doesn't know what to make of a Muslim. Very funny.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

One that comes to mind:
The Good Guys with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks. Buddy cop comedy, but Whitford was brilliant as the completely insane, washed up, alcoholic, lecherous Dan Stark.

I'll also second the mention of Profit and The Finder

Yes, the Finder reminds me of Eyes which only lasted a few shows, but I remember it being pretty good.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Once a Hero. Great show about a superhero who ends up on Earth, where Superhero tropes no longer existed. Clever writing, with a love for the form with all its absurdities, as well as a penchant for turning the cliches of the genre on their head.

For instance, the 4th episode (never aired) was about an actor who played the superhero on TV years ago and was sick of it. The part was played by Adam West.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Luck, a series on HBO starring Dustin Hoffman was canceled after one season.

Two horses died during filming of season one. A third horse died during filming of the second episode of season two, so they canceled the series due to fear of bad press. Thing is, horses die or are euthanized at the track all the time.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Mr. Lucky - 1960
Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 AM

Somebody has already mentioned this one -- "Don't Trust the B_ in Apartment 23".
I really wanted to see that show continue!

From the 1970s -- I wish that "Get Christie Love" had lasted beyond the 1974-1975 season.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:13 AM

Brimstone - Peter Horton as Ezekiel Stone, a deceased New York City cop, let out of Hell to chase down a hundred or so "of the worst souls" who had escaped some time before. Excellent performances by Horton, John Glover as Satan, and Teri Polo as the leader of the escapees (although you don't learn that until the last broadcast episode). Good show, atmospheric as all hell (so to speak), all around good watching.

Stone: You loved her.
Satan: I never loved anyone but God! And that was a long time ago!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Lasted a couple of seasons...Joan of Arcadia and Sports Night. Continuing with Aaron Sorkin, I also liked Studio 60.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Trophy Wife was legit hilarious for a network sitcom

The only show I was emotionally attached to, though, was My So-Called Life. Maybe it's for the best; who knows if a second season would've totally ruined its legacy
Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Selfie

Usually not my kind of show, but Karen Gillan was adorable, John (Star Trek re-boot) Cho was a solid male lead and the show was just hitting its comedic stride when it was given the boot.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Buffalo Bill lasted only 2 seasons but was truly funny. Dabney Coleman plays a perfect asshole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bill_(TV_series)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Closest I can come off the top of my head is Better Off Ted.

It lasted two seasons, so mine doesn't count. I'm still gonna post it anyway, because I'm still pissed they canceled it.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Like ivylass, my vote is for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Apparently no one else in the world watched/liked it, but I thought there was some very good stuff happening in that first season.

I also would have liked to see more than two seasons of Sports Night, but once Sorkin left to do The West Wing the older show was doomed.

Quote:
I will add:

Why on earth they copied that title for yet another medical drama, , i don't know.
Yes! I loved that show! And it was a little confusing when the new one started. The first one wasn't a medical drama, though: it was about an immortal NYC homicide detective.

Quote:
Profit--basically the predecessor to every edgy show with an amoral and sociopathic protagonist that David Chase, Matt Weiner, and Vince Gilligan have made since.
Seconded.

Quote:
My guess? It was pre-DVR. Sure, VCRs were ubiquitous by then, but DVRs made it so easy. I think a lot of the people who love the show didn't watch the original broadcast, but caught up with it afterwards.

Quote:
Trophy Wife. Maybe not a ground-breaking sit-com but it was well-written and it had a good cast.
I loved the writing, but I found the son's pronounced overbite to be seriously distracting. Borderline annoying...which I know is a ridiculous reaction to have to a physical characteristic, but that kid took me out of the story every time he talked. I almost couldn't understand how his mouth even worked.

Quote:
I think you and Dr. Deth both conflated Forever with New Amsterdam. Forever is the medical one, where the immortal is a medical examiner.

Interestingly, "Forever" is also a recycled name for a 2018 show...completely different premise, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Luck, a series on HBO starring Dustin Hoffman was canceled after one season.

Two horses died during filming of season one. A third horse died during filming of the second episode of season two, so they canceled the series due to fear of bad press. Thing is, horses die or are euthanized at the track all the time.
No big loss, IMHO: I watched the first episode or two (or three), and didn't find it very compelling/interesting.

Last edited by Misnomer; 10-10-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM

I was disappointed that The Returned was cancelled after one season. The premise is that dead people come back to life, but they're just like they were before (e.g. not zombies). It's closely based on a French TV show, so you can conclude the series there, but I thought the US one was pretty good.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
(Fairly) recent ones include Pan Am and The Finder.
I really liked Pan Am, but I always felt that part of the problem was that it came out at the same time as The Playboy Club and they were both competing with Mad Men.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
No big loss, IMHO: I watched the first episode or two (or three), and didn't find it very compelling/interesting.
Different strokes, I guess. I binged the first season of Luck and absolutely loved it.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Almost Human and No Ordinary Family are at the top of my list for shows that only last one season.]
There's one reason that lists like this exist - Almost Human, I agree with you, but No Ordinary Family was "a good concept that got ruined when it turned into Yet Still Even Another Family Drama" (the same with Terra Nova, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended all along that, in the words of Troy McClure in Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off, "It was Earth all along!", and never mind that pretty much one of the first things they said was that they knew that it wasn't Earth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Lasted a couple of seasons...Joan of Arcadia and Sports Night. Continuing with Aaron Sorkin, I also liked Studio 60.
Another vote for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Here's another: Alcatraz. I'm on the fence with The Mob Doctor; to be fair, the one thing I didn't like about it - the ending - wouldn't have happened if the show hadn't been cancelled.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The other Judd Apatow show that only lasted one season but should not have been cancelled was Undeclared. I watched both series in their original runs and loved them both. And they both had amazing casts.

A more obscure one; MTV had a North American version of the UK series Skins, but it got a lot of negative attention and only lasted a single season. I really liked the UK original and hoped the American adaption would succeed as did earlier adaptions of Being Human and Shameless (two other UK programs that I liked quite a bit and were successfully adapted in the US).
Old 10-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Terriers!

The language that came out of Donal Logue's mouth was amazing at times. Laura Allen also appeared in the aforementioned Awake but that isn't really on my list of shows canceled too early.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
One that comes to mind:
The Good Guys with Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks. Buddy cop comedy, but Whitford was brilliant as the completely insane, washed up, alcoholic, lecherous Dan Stark.
Hanks did a pretty good job as the straight man to Whitford's lunatic, I thought. I enjoyed the show as well- it was fun and didn't take itself too seriously. And actually filmed on location to some degree, and got a lot of places here in town right.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
OMG yes! I loved that show! I've rewatched the series at least once. One of the few shows where I never skip past the opening theme (Treme being another).
Old 10-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I really liked Pan Am, but I always felt that part of the problem was that it came out at the same time as The Playboy Club and they were both competing with Mad Men.

I didn't hate The Playboy Club either, but didn't want to mention Playboy Bunnies and stewardesses in the same post...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:12 PM

The fascinating reality show Utopia was canceled before it got far into its season. They kept the live feeds on for quite a while, luckily.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Alien Nation. While there were several TV movies done some years later, they failed to capture the tone of the series.

And another vote for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:

That reminded me of Forever Knight, an interesting detective series where the lead character is a secret immortal, but it turns out to have run longer than I remembered--3 seasons, 70 episodes. Maybe I was conflating it with Moonlight, an interesting detective series where the lead character is a secret immortal that lasted only 16 episodes.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Strange Luck, with DB Sweeny, had some real promise that was never realized.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM

I could second several choices I already saw (Clone High is great) but ones I didn't see (sorry if I missed them):

Profit (a show way ahead of its time)
Trophy Wife (with a better title this show would have lasted 5 seasons).
Almost Human (a really interesting Sci Fi show)
Grosse Point (also a little ahead of its time)
Kitchen Confidential (I suspect someone will take another crack at this)
Awake (probably couldn't have lasted very long but still felt unfinished).
Old 10-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloe Moe View Post
Quark (for just half a season)
They actually wanted to give Quark a regular season run, but by the time they broached the subject, a number of the cast were not available, and they had already destroyed the sets.

It hasnt aged well, sadly.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Limitless
Forever
Matador
Hooten and the Lady
Crimson Field
Partners In Crime (UK murder mystery show)
That one where whatsisface lived each day twice. Awake.

One of my faves was cancelled at first, but very recently renewed again by another network, and that show is called Agatha Raisin.
Came in to mention Forever. I think it ran for two seasons. Or the one season had a mini-story payoff in the middle, only to leave us with a bigger cliffhanger at the end.

I also liked Alphas. That was two seasons though, I'm sure.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Brimstone - Peter Horton as Ezekiel Stone, a deceased New York City cop, let out of Hell to chase down a hundred or so "of the worst souls" who had escaped some time before. Excellent performances by Horton, John Glover as Satan, and Teri Polo as the leader of the escapees (although you don't learn that until the last broadcast episode). Good show, atmospheric as all hell (so to speak), all around good watching.

Stone: You loved her.
Satan: I never loved anyone but God! And that was a long time ago!
That was a good show.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post

Yes! I loved that show! And it was a little confusing when the new one started. The first one wasn't a medical drama, though: it was about an immortal NYC homicide detective.

S

I think you and Dr. Deth both conflated Forever with New Amsterdam. Forever is the medical one, where the immortal is a medical examiner..
No, what I meant by "Why on earth they copied that title for yet another medical drama, , i don't know." is that they new show by that title is a medical drama. The original was a detective show.

Forever was a crime drama, but the lead was a medical examiner, so it sorta crossed two lines.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Okay. Okay, I'm going to just say it, and let the chips fall where they may: Homeboys in Outer Space.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I will add:

I confuse this one in my head with Forever. I liked this too. Also loved the Dirk Gently series with the Hobbit as Todd. That one lasted a bit longer. The creator, Max Landis, started gathering sexual assault accusations, so that was the end of that.

The trick for me is to not watch any TV show that involves time travel.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM

UFO - the suits got in the way and decided that a bigger budgeted show was necessary and they gave us the ridiculous Space 1999 in UFO's place. It's been nearly 50 years and I still harbor ill will.
-IQ
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
One that comes to mind:
I actually loved the sitcom of the same name, starring a post-Gilligan Bob Denver. Though it managed to run two seasons.

Awake was also a great one. Well written and constructed. It deserved more than one season.