Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM
drad dog's Avatar
drad dog drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,722
Define "Politically Correct" + Give 2 examples in your life worth raging at

I don't worry about PC. But lots of people do. These days I am being reminded that I need to worry about whole rafts of people who care a lot, and are guided in their political lives by this thing.

So what is it?

And how did your heinie get all bruised?
  #2  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:09 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,576
PC is denying reality and attempting to silence others in order to advance an ideological orthodoxy.

Worth raging at? Since I do and say what I want anyways I’m not sure if rage is the right verb. But I do find many aspects troubling such as left wing college students and their inane protests about free speech being hate speech or telling others what sort of food they can cook or costumes they can wear. Or even on this board with the hand wringing about plucking an eyebrow. At some point, outrage becomes farcical.
  #3  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:18 PM
BrotherCadfael BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,036
I have previously observed that "Political Correctness" is NOT saying you shouldn't use the term "fruitcake" to describe someone of other than standard mental processes. We can all agree on that.



"Political Correctness" is saying that, because "fruitcake" has been used that way in the past, it should not today be used to describe a candied confection containing dried fruit and nuts.
  #4  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
"Political Correctness" is saying that, because "fruitcake" has been used that way in the past, it should not today be used to describe a candied confection containing dried fruit and nuts.
Got any real life examples?
  #5  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,277
"Political Correctness" is what assholes claim is the reason they are being labeled as "assholes". In reality, 95% of the time, they are being labeled "assholes" because they are acting in an "assholish" way, rather than because of "Political Correctness".
  #6  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
"Political Correctness" is what assholes claim is the reason they are being labeled as "assholes". In reality, 95% of the time, they are being labeled "assholes" because they are acting in an "assholish" way, rather than because of "Political Correctness".
Mmhmm... women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness was them actually being “assholes.” Which in itself is, at this point, a cliched and disingenuous label used far too often as a tool of delegitimization.
  #7  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 35,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
PC is denying reality and attempting to silence others in order to advance an ideological orthodoxy.

Worth raging at? Since I do and say what I want anyways I’m not sure if rage is the right verb. But I do find many aspects troubling such as left wing college students and their inane protests about free speech being hate speech or telling others what sort of food they can cook or costumes they can wear. Or even on this board with the hand wringing about plucking an eyebrow. At some point, outrage becomes farcical.
Like what happened to the Dixie Chicks?
PC, it's not just for the Left.
  #8  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Like what happened to the Dixie Chicks?
PC, it's not just for the Left.
Or Colin Kaepernick. You are definitely correct and I’m not opposed to admitting it.
  #9  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 PM
wguy123 wguy123 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,395
Donald Trump is not PC...he "tell's it like it is."

I don't know if that helps with coming up with a definition, but it helps me decide that being PC is better than not being. Who wants to look like the jackass braying from the White House?
  #10  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Mmhmm... women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness was them actually being “assholes.” Which in itself is, at this point, a cliched and disingenuous label used far too often as a tool of delegitimization.
Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?
  #11  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?
I suspect ol' 8 arms was speaking of this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b062f96a348181

Press on.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 10-15-2018 at 02:48 PM.
  #12  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:49 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?
Maybe not. My apologies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.66c37c072eb2

Hopefully the Washington Post is not a bad source.
  #13  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 28,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
"Political Correctness" is what assholes claim is the reason they are being labeled as "assholes". In reality, 95% of the time, they are being labeled "assholes" because they are acting in an "assholish" way, rather than because of "Political Correctness".
I agree with this and the percentage is about right. 5% of the time it does seem to be an accurate charge but that's not very often.
  #14  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Maybe not. My apologies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.66c37c072eb2

Hopefully the Washington Post is not a bad source.
That's the 5% of the time when assholes label non-asshole people as racist for no good cause.
  #15  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 39,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
PC is denying reality and attempting to silence others in order to advance an ideological orthodoxy.
Totally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
Someone can write an article or book, totally make up stories and form a picture of a person that is literally the exact opposite of the fact, and get away with it without retribution or cost. Don’t know why Washington politicians don’t change libel laws?
Stupid politically correct people on campus!
Quote:
Georgia Republican Sen. David Perdue grabbed a Georgia Tech student's phone on Saturday as the student filmed him while trying to ask a question about the state's voter identification policies.
More deplatforming by campus radicals
Quote:
The proposed closing of UNC’s Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity by the UNC System Board of Governors — which drew one of the broadest and loudest protests from the Chapel Hill campus of any issue in years — became reality on Feb. 27 as the board voted unanimously to require the University to shut the center down by Sept. 1.
They've taken over governments with their PC shenanigans!


Quote:
A new law in North Carolina will ban the state from basing coastal policies on the latest scientific predictions of how much the sea level will rise, prompting environmentalists to accuse the state of disrespecting climate science.
I understand why conservatives are so concerned about the threat of leftwing political correctness. How dare liberals steal their schtick!
  #16  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:17 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
"Political Correctness" is what assholes claim is the reason they are being labeled as "assholes". In reality, 95% of the time, they are being labeled "assholes" because they are acting in an "assholish" way, rather than because of "Political Correctness".
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Donald Trump is not PC...he "tell's it like it is."

I don't know if that helps with coming up with a definition, but it helps me decide that being PC is better than not being. Who wants to look like the jackass braying from the White House?
And this^

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Mmhmm... women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness was them actually being “assholes.” Which in itself is, at this point, a cliched and disingenuous label used far too often as a tool of delegitimization.
Not this, this is a story about cultural appropriation. Why would you pick this as an example? And couldn't you have thrown the word "cuck" into your post? Sad!
  #17  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Wolf333 Wolf333 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Like what happened to the Dixie Chicks?

PC, it's not just for the Left.


Or when JC Penney was boycotted because they hired Ellen as spokesperson.

Or when Kuerig was boycotted because they pulled their ads from Hannity?

Or that whole war on Christmas thing?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #18  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
I would define PC, as current standards of polite discourse as applied to social groups. It can be picayune and annoying.

I have yet to suffer any catastrophic trauma as a result of this social plague.

I can make up new insults real fast.


FWIW, I think it’s the wrong approach. When a word is made to seem evil, bad, or outlawed you give it and the concept behind it power.
  #19  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,913
PC is enforcement of social norms through shaming for holding individuals accountable for their actions.

Left:

Race pity/denial of agency based on skin color or ethnicity

Right and left:

Military worship

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 10-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.
  #20  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:18 PM
guizot guizot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: An East Hollywood dingbat
Posts: 8,107
The term is completely bankrupted by specious usage, and now is meaningless.

It shouldn't be used at all anymore.
  #21  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 39,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
FWIW, I think it’s the wrong approach. When a word is made to seem evil, bad, or outlawed you give it and the concept behind it power.
You can say this with equal panache whether you're sitting in a fine upholstered Edwardian chair, smoking a pipe in front of your leatherbound books, or puffing a cigar in your Lazy-Boy with Fox News playing in the background. As long as you've no skin in the game, as long as you've never been on the ass end of the social imbalance, as long as you're just commenting from on high about things that don't affect you, the optics are just spiffy.
  #22  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
You can say this with equal panache whether you're sitting in a fine upholstered Edwardian chair, smoking a pipe in front of your leatherbound books, or puffing a cigar in your Lazy-Boy with Fox News playing in the background. As long as you've no skin in the game, as long as you've never been on the ass end of the social imbalance, as long as you're just commenting from on high about things that don't affect you, the optics are just spiffy.

So educate me. How is PC saving the world?
  #23  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
So educate me. How is PC saving the world?
PC isn't saving the world, but calling people out when they're being assholes is making the world a much better place for minorities.
  #24  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
PC isn't saving the world, but calling people out when they're being assholes is making the world a much better place for minorities.
So the solution to assholes is more assholes.

Got it
  #25  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Railer13 Railer13 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
So the solution to assholes is more assholes.
Calling out an asshole automatically makes one an asshole?

Got it.
  #26  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:50 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,717
I'm not the OP, but so far no one has actually done the second part of the title:

Quote:
...Give 2 examples in your life worth raging at.
(emphasis mine)

Sadly, I have never been the victim of the PC police, from what I can recall. I've never lost my job for telling inappropriate jokes at work or being a racist asshole. It's probably because I don't tell those jokes at work or (I don't think I) am a racist asshole.

I kind of feel left out. Reading posts by many conservatives here, as a straight white guy I should really feel under siege by the PC police, but no one has gone after me yet. I just sit here and live my upper middle class life in peace. Darn.
  #27  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
So the solution to assholes is more assholes.

Got it
Well, you've certainly got "being an asshole" down, that's for sure.
  #28  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
PC isn't saving the world, but calling people out when they're being assholes is making the world a much better place for minorities.

If one thinks women are being treated poorly than giving money, volunteering, and sitting on the board of a women’s shelter is helpful.

If one thinks disabled kids have it rough, than donating the materials and time to build fences at a Therapeutic Riding Center is helpful.

99% of PC activism is empty virtue signaling. Perhaps it’s even negative, as it allows PC warriors to:

1: feel good and superior to the other lesser folk they “call out.”

2. Excuse them from actually doing something meaningful.

Like I said, mildly annoying.
  #29  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Well, you've certainly got "being an asshole" down, that's for sure.
That’s so brave.
  #30  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Calling out an asshole automatically makes one an asshole?

Got it.
Pretty much. Seriously. Think it through. What is admirable about getting into a pissing contest with a skunk?
  #31  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Kimstu Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 20,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness
From a link in your own linked article about this story:
Quote:
[...] Kooks Burritos owners Kali Wilgus and Liz "LC" Connelly said they developed their menus in part by picking “the brains of every tortilla lady there [Puerto Nuevo, Mexico] in the worst broken Spanish ever,” and this description of its research practices as well as other comments within the article spurred editorials and debates across the internet.

The Mic news website bought national attention to Kooks Burritos with its coverage, titled, “These white cooks bragged about stealing recipes from Mexico to start a Portland business.” It reads, “The problem, of course, is that it's unclear whether the Mexican women who handed over their recipes ever got anything in return.”
IOW, nobody was "forced" to close the pop-up burrito cart. They got negative publicity from people who didn't like their business practices and became unpopular as a result. What's your objection to people publicly criticizing business practices they disapprove of?
  #32  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Kimstu Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 20,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Pretty much. Seriously. Think it through. What is admirable about getting into a pissing contest with a skunk?
It's not "getting into a pissing contest with a skunk", it's correctly identifying a skunk as a skunk. There's nothing particularly admirable about correctly identifying a skunk, but there's nothing assholish about it either.
  #33  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Pretty much. Seriously. Think it through. What is admirable about getting into a pissing contest with a skunk?
As opposed to pretending the skunk doesn't stink and that there is no malingering odor after it leaves?
  #34  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
It can also make it difficult and inadvisable for people to have frank and important conversations for fear of running afoul of whatever is currently the offends me flavor of the week, dampening actual communication, and increasing social rifts
  #35  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
It can also make it difficult and inadvisable for people to have frank and important conversations for fear of running afoul of whatever is currently the offends me flavor of the week, dampening actual communication, and increasing social rifts
More of that old "I am highly offended that you didn't talk nice to me while I was spewing hate" bullshit?
Stuff it.
  #36  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Kimstu Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 20,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
99% of PC activism is empty virtue signaling. Perhaps it’s even negative, as it allows PC warriors to:

1: feel good and superior to the other lesser folk they “call out.”

2. Excuse them from actually doing something meaningful.

Like I said, mildly annoying.
Opposing viewpoint:
Quote:
Some well-meaning folks think if we stop talking about racism, it’ll magically disappear, like the smell of an errant fart. But like a fart, people might try to be polite and ignore it but everyone knows it’s there. Avoidance has never been a great tactic in solving any problem. For most situations in life, not addressing what’s going on only makes matters worse.
You may find it annoying for people to discuss racism or other bigotry in public, but that doesn't mean you're right about its being "empty" or "negative".
  #37  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Kimstu Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 20,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
It can also make it difficult and inadvisable for people to have frank and important conversations for fear of running afoul of whatever is currently the offends me flavor of the week, dampening actual communication, and increasing social rifts
How? Do you have an actual specific example of this? Because I personally have not had any problem having frank and important conversations all the damn time, and I'm perplexed at why you think current mores are "dampening communication" and "increasing social rifts".

They may be increasing your awareness of existing social rifts, but that's a good thing, right? If a problem exists, you want to be aware of it, yeah?
  #38  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
As opposed to pretending the skunk doesn't stink and that there is no malingering odor after it leaves?

Your first post was to call me an asshole. Pretty much proving my point.
  #39  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Your first post was to call me an asshole. Pretty much proving my point.
You proved my point-I merely stated the obvious.
  #40  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
PC is denying reality and attempting to silence others in order to advance an ideological orthodoxy.
Ooh, that does sound bad! Got any examples?



In reality, "political correctness" exists solely as a buzzword. It's a replacement for an argument, usually used by assholes. What does it mean? Well, it means whatever the asshole wants it to. You'd rather that people not make rape jokes? That's "PC". You'd like people to care about the wage gap? That's "PC". You want to talk about basically any social issue and how it relates to video games, particularly feminism or rape culture? That's "PC" and you're a "cuck". (And you'd better hope your infosec is really good, because 4chan has entirely too much time on its collective hands.) If the term ever had meaning, that meaning is lost to overuse by the bullshit brigade.

And of course if you ask people about it in polls, they're going to think negatively of it - it's a snarl word. It's like asking people what they think of "feminazis" or "social justice warriors" - the meaning is inherently negative because it's designed to be. What it actually means, though? It's such a broad, vague term (by design) that it could mean anything.
  #41  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Your first post was to call me an asshole. Pretty much proving my point.
What was your point again?
  #42  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Scylla Scylla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
More of that old "I am highly offended that you didn't talk nice to me while I was spewing hate" bullshit?
Stuff it.

The only one spewing hate is you. You showed up and immediately called me an asshole.

When I think of PC as being empty and non constructive offense and anger designed to make the person doing it feel good at the expense of another (as I’ve just described a few posts before you showed up) what I am talking about is exactly the behavior you are engaging in now.

You have literally proved my point.
  #43  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
When I think of PC as being empty and non constructive offense and anger designed to make the person doing it feel good at the expense of another
Man, PC is even broader than I thought! Can't you get your own damn buzzword? This one's already stretched thinner than a fairy trying to deep-throat Ganondorf; this seems to be trying to rob it of all meaning.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 10-15-2018 at 05:29 PM.
  #44  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:30 PM
HMS Irruncible HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Mmhmm... women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness was them actually being “assholes.”
Does this match the constraint of "in your life" as specified by OP? Are you the owner of the burrito truck, or are you just an aggrieved third party looking for an excuse to be outraged?
  #45  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
The only one spewing hate is you. You showed up and immediately called me an asshole.

When I think of PC as being empty and non constructive offense and anger designed to make the person doing it feel good at the expense of another (as I’ve just described a few posts before you showed up) what I am talking about is exactly the behavior you are engaging in now.

You have literally proved my point.
Your "reasoning" is so specious that if you were distracted by a moth flying by you would claim that it literally proved your point.
  #46  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Kimstu Kimstu is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 20,979
Boycotting Bakers Good, Boycotting Burrito Carts Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus
[...] women forced to close a burrito shop because of PC-ness
[...] IOW, nobody was "forced" to close the pop-up burrito cart. They got negative publicity from people who didn't like their business practices and became unpopular as a result. What's your objection to people publicly criticizing business practices they disapprove of?
Another aspect of this "anti-PC" attitude that makes me go is that many of its endorsers seem to be just fine with, and even actively recommend, "PC" outrage and criticism as long as they think it won't actually affect anything.

For example, there were zillions of people during the controversy over the Colorado baker (the one who refused to sell a wedding cake to a same-sex couple) saying "Well if you don't like what he's doing then just don't patronize his business! Stop trying to make the government tell him what to do: let the market decide!"

But in the case of a situation like the Portland burrito cart, where the market did decide and its decision was not in the business owners' favor, many of the same people now seem to be making a big fuss about "unfairness" or "delegitimization" regarding the same consumer behavior they claimed to support in the case of the Colorado baker.

If you think that people should be able to publicly criticize businesses they disapprove of, and make consumer choices informed by such criticism, then sometimes the targets of that criticism are going to go out of business as a result of their unpopularity. If you're not willing to accept those consequences, then you shouldn't be recommending that sort of market remedy as an approved alternative to legal regulation.

Last edited by Kimstu; 10-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.
  #47  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
...And of course if you ask people about it in polls, they're going to think negatively of it - it's a snarl word. It's like asking people what they think of "feminazis" or "social justice warriors" - the meaning is inherently negative because it's designed to be. ...
Yeah. At this point, if someone employs the term 'politically correct' about something they dislike, all they're really doing is announcing their own position on the political spectrum.

That said, there are bullies on the right and bullies on the left, and one way the latter group tend to do their bullying is to tell other people what they may and may not say. There are those on both left and right who find this to be an ineffective method for bettering the world (and/or annoying).

But by comparison, the bullies on the right tend to use much harsher measures than simply telling others what words they shouldn't use. So there's that.
  #48  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
From a link in your own linked article about this story:


IOW, nobody was "forced" to close the pop-up burrito cart. They got negative publicity from people who didn't like their business practices and became unpopular as a result. What's your objection to people publicly criticizing business practices they disapprove of?
Disapproved of because of the color of their skin while making a burrito. Yeah, that's straight up nuttery and is not going to be productive in the long run.
  #49  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,394
I think of political correctness as the practice of trying to avoid offending people by using potentially offensive terminology. So, calling somebody "jewish" instead of "a kike".

People who like calling people kikes of course chafe under the notion that it's not acceptable to call people kikes anymore, so they are as derisive and dismissive of the notion of political correctness as possible.

Under my definition of political correctness I'm hard pressed to come up with even one example worth raging at. This is mostly because I've never felt the desire to call anybody a kike.
  #50  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
So the solution to assholes is more assholes.

Got it
The act of "calling out an asshole" does not make one an "asshole" as it is not an "assholish" act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
If one thinks women are being treated poorly than giving money, volunteering, and sitting on the board of a women’s shelter is helpful.
Those are all wonderful things to do.

Quote:
If one thinks disabled kids have it rough, than donating the materials and time to build fences at a Therapeutic Riding Center is helpful
Another wonderful thing to do. I'm not sure what your goal by posting these examples were, because I agree that these are good deeds.

Quote:
99% of PC activism is empty virtue signaling. Perhaps it’s even negative, as it allows PC warriors to:

1: feel good and superior to the other lesser folk they “call out.”

2. Excuse them from actually doing something meaningful.

Like I said, mildly annoying.
If you ever take the time and effort to try and make the world a better place for minorities by condemning hateful acts against them, I'll remember that you're only doing it in order to "feel good and superior" and to "excuse yourself" from doing anything meaningful.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017