View Poll Results: Worst Best Picture, please only respond if you've seen 15 or more.
Kramer vs. Kramer 3 1.14%
Ordinary People 2 0.76%
Chariots of Fire 3 1.14%
Gandhi 2 0.76%
Terms of Endearment 2 0.76%
Amadeus 0 0%
Out of Africa 6 2.28%
Platoon 1 0.38%
The Last Emperor 0 0%
Rain Man 4 1.52%
Driving Miss Daisy 4 1.52%
Dances With Wolves 13 4.94%
The Silence of the Lambs 1 0.38%
Unforgiven 0 0%
Schindler's List 1 0.38%
Forrest Gump 16 6.08%
Braveheart 10 3.80%
The English Patient 14 5.32%
Titanic 17 6.46%
Shakespeare in Love 21 7.98%
American Beauty 9 3.42%
Gladiator 8 3.04%
A Beautiful Mind 1 0.38%
Chicago 6 2.28%
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King 4 1.52%
Million Dollar Baby 3 1.14%
Crash 37 14.07%
The Departed 0 0%
No Country for Old Men 0 0%
Slumdog Millionaire 3 1.14%
The Hurt Locker 11 4.18%
The King's Speech 0 0%
The Artist 6 2.28%
Argo 5 1.90%
12 Years a Slave 0 0%
Birdman 13 4.94%
Spotlight 0 0%
Moonlight 1 0.38%
The Shape of Water 3 1.14%
I have seen 14 or fewer of these films. 26 9.89%
I just want quick access to the poll. 7 2.66%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Worst "Best Picture" Winner of the last 40 years?

What film do do think is the worst film to win the "Best Picture" Acadamy award since 1979?. Poll coming, may take a while.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 AM

No need for a poll. The answer is Crash.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Forgot to add in my OP, please only vote if you've seen at least 15 of them. Please do not vote for a film you have not seen, even if from reputation you think it is worse than all the films you have seen.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Well, you can make all the arguments you want but the freaking academy gave best picture to Dances With Wolves and not Goodfellas.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:29 AM

I wish we could have multiple votes. But only 1? Chariots of Boring.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Well, you can make all the arguments you want but the freaking academy gave best picture to Dances With Wolves and not Goodfellas.

Also please don't vote for the "most unjustly given" film. The level of the other nominees that year should not be a factor.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Also please don't vote for the "most unjustly given" film. The level of the other nominees that year should not be a factor.
Ah, good clarification. Would definitely have changed my answer if the question was interpreted as "worst choice of Best Picture."
Old 10-17-2018, 10:47 AM

The Artist, hands down. Can't believe I'm the only one who's voted for it so far. Even without taking into consideration that 2012 was a weak year for nominees, The Artist is the one winner from the last 40 years that I would least want to sit down and watch right now.

Crash was not great, and The Shape of Water sucked, but I'd rather watch either of them.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 AM

I seen better than half of them I suppose. Shakespeare in Love did nothing for me.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM

I still have no idea how Gladiator is a Best Picture film.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I knew my movie watching really dropped off lately but this is an interesting bit of evidence. I've only seen 7 of these with the Lord of the Rings entry the most recent.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Birdman definitely!

Sooooo much self indulgent, metaphoric crap. When he flings himself off the roof, I began celebrating, ITíS OVER ! But no! It went on for another eternity after that. Ugh!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
This. What an ugly film.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM

I actually have seen all of 'em but one. The classic answer for many a year is of course Titanic.

The one I haven't seen? The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King.

The first movie was so godawful bad that was the end of it. Even at the time people said it was a pity Oscar. So it's a contender but since I didn't see it ...

I have no idea what people's problem with Crash is. (Other than the title obscuring a better film with the same name.) There's several good-but-not-great films on the list that are not nearly as good. E.g., the first two: Kramer vs. Kramer and Ordinary People.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Gladiator. Overlong and tedious.

People dislike Crash because they don't understand (or resist) its message.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Birdman definitely!

Sooooo much self indulgent, metaphoric crap. When he flings himself off the roof, I began celebrating, ITíS OVER ! But no! It went on for another eternity after that. Ugh!
Yeah, this. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but completely undeserving of an award.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Birdman was contrived to appeal to academy voters for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar. It has no entertainment value outside that small audience.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I wish we could have multiple votes. But only 1? Chariots of Boring.
Iíll stack rank the ones I have seen, favorite to least favorite (roughly):

Favorites:
Dances With Wolves
The Departed
No Country for Old Men

Very good:
Ordinary People
Gandhi
Amadeus

Pretty good:
Platoon
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Titanic
Gladiator

Decent:
Kramer vs. Kramer
Terms of Endearment
Rain Man
Schindler's List
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
Chicago
Crash
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King's Speech
Argo

Pretty bad: if we got more than one vote, these would be them
Million Dollar Baby
Out of Africa
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy
The English Patient

Awful:
Chariots of Fire ó just awful

I have not seen: not considered in my voting

Shakespeare in Love
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King
The Artist
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Spotlight
Moonlight
The Shape of Water
Old 10-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I have no idea what people's problem with Crash is.
I don't get it either. I thought Crash was great. Maybe they think it's too preachy?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM

There's a bunch of films I didn't care for but The Hurt Locker was one of the few that I really didn't understand all the love for. Just felt like cliche driven crap.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 AM

Gandhi
Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Birdman was contrived to appeal to academy voters for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar. It has no entertainment value outside that small audience.
This is how I feel about The Shape of Water. The purpose of the movie was to win awards.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:12 PM

I haven't seen all of them but I am still confident Shakespeare in Love is the worst.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I have no idea what people's problem with Crash is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't get it either. I thought Crash was great. Maybe they think it's too preachy?
You can do a search in this forum and find numerous threads over the years where Crash has been trashed. There are some forum members who are very opinionated on the subject.

I loved it, FWIIW.

I voted for the wrong movie, accidentally. I intended to vote for Shakespeare In Love, but managed to hit American Beauty instead. I wish you could change poll votes on this board.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 PM

I've seen about two thirds. Titanic was one I walked out of. Dreck. There are others I should have walked out of, but sheerly due to its popularity I'm voting for Titanic.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I guess I'm an academy voter now! Sweet!

I loved Birdman. One of my favorite movies in years. I really enjoyed the gimmick of it (the faux one shot filming) as well.

FTR, I also loved Shakespeare in Love and still believe it's not only deserving of the award but one of the most criminally underrated films due to the fact it won (justly) over Saving Private Ryan.

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 10-17-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

There are quite a few that did not deserve to win over their competition that year, but are not necessarily bad movies on their own.

I voted Million Dollar Baby, which has to be one of Eastwood's worst films as a director. But I wish I had read the list more carefully and remembered that Gladiator, inexplicably, won also. I would have voted for that one instead.

Crash is definitely in the bottom half in terms of quality, but it also gets extra venom heaped upon it for beating out the darling Brokeback Mountain. If it hadn't beaten Brokeback I don't think it would be as despised.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
it also gets extra venom heaped upon it for beating out the darling Brokeback Mountain. If it hadn't beaten Brokeback I don't think it would be as despised.
Agreed. There are a number of very good films that get over the top hate because they beat out a fan favorite - Annie Hall (over Star Wars), Shakespeare in Love (over Saving Private Ryan), and Dances with Wolves (over Goodfellas) are the obvious ones that come to mind.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I haven't seen all of Titanic or Forrest Gump, because I got bored with both. If I felt okay voting for something I wandered away from when it was on TV, I would vote for Gump--I found it treacly and manipulative and not nearly as wise as it believed itself to be.

Of the ones I've seen all the way through, American Beauty leaves me feeling the grossest, even though I enjoyed it at the time, so I voted for that.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I still have no idea how Gladiator is a Best Picture film.
I saw it opening weekend and left thinking, "Hey, pretty neat action movie." I was stunned when it was taken seriously enough to give a Best Picture award. I mean, Mad Max: Fury Road is an action movie, but is 1000x the accomplishment of Gladiator.

I still voted for Shakespeare in Love because it was a pretty bad movie and literally worse than all other movies nominated that year. Saving Private Ran, Life is Beautiful, Thin Red Line, and Elizabeth.

Literally any of those would have been a better pick, especially Saving Private Ryan.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Movies on the list I find to be bad:

Argo - this was a terrible movie
Shakespeare in Love(my vote). Such a strange mix-up to make this BP.
Crash
Chicago - maybe my backup pick. I hated this musical.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:50 PM

I haven't seen some of these (Crash in particular), so I can't really rule on them.

But I truly do loathe The English Patient
Old 10-17-2018, 01:01 PM

Platoon. I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the most overrated films of the last thirty years. I couldn't believe this was the same movie people were raving about; at the end, I was literally, "Is that it? THIS is the OMG-best-war-movie-ever-made??" Could not believe it won Best Picture, regardless of what competition it had that year. Sap Gathering in Maine? Gidget Surfs to Rome? What were the contenders?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM

I need to change my vote; I realize now I have seen 15 of the 40. (I think I need to get out more. )

Of the ones I have seen, my least favorite was Lord of the Rings. Tolkien has always bored me to tears.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Shakespeare in Love is one of my favorite movies I have to contradict all you naysayers on that one.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Of the ones I've seen, Birdman was most boring, so I went with that. The Shape of Water was weird and stupid, because the central premise of "woman falls in love with the Creature from the Black Lagoon" didn't work, but that failure wasn't confirmed until the end of the picture, so I was at least watching all the way to the end. Gladiator was just another action film, not particularly bad but no better than run-of-the-mill. Shakespeare in Love much the same, except a rom-com.

In some ways I'd rather see a movie that I actively hated rather than one that was tepidly unsuccessful, and most of the unworthy Oscar winners struck me as artsy-fartsy films that didn't impress, or OK but nothing that leaps out as the best of the year.

Chacun ŗ son gout of course.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I haven't seen some of these (Crash in particular), so I can't really rule on them.

But I truly do loathe The English Patient
I can barely remember it because of how boring it was. I should have added it to my list of "bad movies" that won the award.

Seinfeld was right when they made an episode about how boring it is.

Oh my gosh, I forgot Out of Africa as well, another snooze-fest. Terrible movie.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM

I found Driving Miss Daisy an entirely loathesome movie which would have been substantially improved if the chauffeur had pitched his abusive employer through a window somewhere in the middle of it. Beside it, merely boring films don't have a chance of my vote
I don't think I'm being unreasonable if I suggest that the number of inferences required to extrapolate the cause of Chinese population growth from your hairdresser's experience puts a burden on fundamental logic fair greater than it can reasonably bear. - RNATB
Old 10-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Jays Fan

"Crash" is a popular choice for worst Best Picture movie of all time, and was generally regarded as such from about thirty seconds after they announced it.

A lot of the choices here were not the right choice; I agree with Shodan, for instance, that "Gladiator" is just an action flick with a good cast. However, it wasn't a BAD movie. It had a clear, relatable story and was competently made. The same can be said for almost all the movies that I don't think should have won; "The English Patient," "Chicago" and "Dances With Wolves" were maybe not worthy winners but were all competently made films. Way above average, really. I don't like ludicrously long costume dramas - Gandhi, Amadeus, The Last Emperor - but they are technically impressive films, at least.

I'd also point out that one sometimes has to be charitable in analyzing movies in the past. "Platoon" might seem a little cliched now but at the time - I mean, that was 32 years ago - it was quite modern, cutting edge stuff. Kramer Vs. Kramer is basically a TV movie by today's standards, but, again, it was topical and damned good in 1978. Rain Man really doesn't look great today, but in 1988 it did.

But I didn't pick Crash. I picked "Return of the King."

Look, I'm sorry, but it was a really shitty movie. It just was. I loved, loved loved The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers was pretty good, but Return of the King was bad. I don't mean bad by Oscar winning standards; I mean it was a bad movie, long and dull and with plot points that meant nothing. It was really, really badly made in a lot of ways and has aged really poorly. It is much more like the Hobbit movie than its predecessors. I realize most of its awards were "Trilogy achievement awards" but that's not how the awards are supposed to work.

I expound at length:

http://middleagedjoker.com/the-movie...1977/#more-414

Last edited by RickJay; 10-17-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:27 PM

I think I've seen most of these. I haven't seen Crash, which seems to get a lot of hate.

Most of them, I liked. The English Patient was kinda dull in places. Kramer vs Kramer isn't that great (but, as pointed, it was groundbreaking in its day)

But the worst of the worst was The Artist There is a reason that we don't make silent, black and white films anymore.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM

I have officially entered clueless old man territory, because until this thread I had never heard of of Spotlight.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Correct.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM

It's weird because many of the movies on the list I liked a lot but wouldn't consider them "important works" or anything. For example, I loved Gladiator, but come on, really? Other movies I consider very good or great but maybe not super entertaining, like watching them is supposed to enrich you rather than entertain you. Those are the ones I generally think of as award-worthy, but are rarely (if ever) favorite movies.

Appreciated
12 Years a Slave
Dances With Wolves
No Country for Old Men

Favorites
Platoon
The Silence of the Lambs
Braveheart
American Beauty
Gladiator

Liked
Rain Man
Forrest Gump
Million Dollar Baby
The Departed
Slumdog Millionaire

Meh
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy
Shakespeare in Love
A Beautiful Mind
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King
The Hurt Locker
Argo
Birdman
The Shape of Water

Didn't See
Kramer vs. Kramer
Ordinary People
Chariots of Fire
Gandhi
Terms of Endearment
Amadeus
Out of Africa
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
The English Patient
Titanic
Chicago
Crash
The King's Speech
The Artist
Spotlight
Moonlight

I guess I have to pick from the Meh group, and if I'm going by my criteria of what award-worthy means to me, Return of the King is the clear answer. So I'll go with that.

Note: I'm pretty sure or positive I saw Kramer vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Amadeus, and Unforgiven, but I don't remember them enough to have an opinion because it was 30 years ago, once, for 20 minutes.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 10-17-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Oh my gosh, I forgot Out of Africa as well, another snooze-fest. Terrible movie.
Out of the movies I have seen, this is the only one that I fell asleep during and never bothered to go back and watch what I missed.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster."

It's only like the third or fourth best of Scorsese movies and yet it is still head and shoulders above anything even first tier directors will ever produce in their careers.

Stranger
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Went with Gladiator. Just an ordinary Sword and Sandals film, but lessee (consults Wikipedia), after Russell Crowe wins against a legendary, undefeated gladiator, the emperor of Rome decides it would be a great idea to personally fight Russell in the arena. Now thatis storytelling at its finest.

Hated Crash, but ehh, apparently its storyline, driven by shallow concepts, rather than characters, gosh-wowed a significant percentage of people. It was worthless to me, though.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Has to be Shakespeare in Love.

I had to sit through that whole thing on an Saturday afternoon, in the theater, just to get laid later. That was better than the movie, but I still left before the sun went down.

Gwyneth Paltrow. Need I say more?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:26 PM

I picked The English Patient. Long, boring so so full of itself. It could have made its point in a quarter of the time. Its stupid, stupid point that everybody saw coming a mile away. I've seen 24 of these movies and the only ones that have more votes than The English Patient are ones I haven't seen.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:40 PM

Good to see I'm not the only vote for Braveheart.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Of the 20 films I've seen from that list, Dances with Wolves appealed to me least.