Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM

"I Lost $35 Million in an Hour" - Louis C.K. Comeback

https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/louis...rformance.html

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Cafe Society or IMHO. Well it seems Louis C.K. is taking the steps to come back to the comedy world at least in the arena of stand up. I've read complaints online that he can't make a comeback if he doesn't at a minimum address his actions in his act. It appears he is now edging closer to doing just that. Anyone have opinions about him performing stand-up again? Honestly I would still pay money to see him and think he is one of the funniest comics of this generation, given the age of the accusations, his admission and apology about what happened, I don't see a problem with it. If audiences are willing to pay to see him or get their money back if he makes an unannounced appearance then I think it will happen. I don't know that his career will ever see the same heights that it once did, but I suppose it is possible. I would be more interested in hearing the opinions of fellow fans and if his actions affect their enjoyment of his material but anyone is welcome to comment.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 PM

Last I heard is that he made some fairly repellent rape jokes in his last live appearance. I'll pass on this.

His "admission and apology" was indeed courageous, certainly the actions of a contrite and broken man, and not a naked and laughably transparent attempt to mitigate his disgusting, perverse actions, actions that he repeated time and time again over the course of multiple decades.

I saw him live multiple times and he was one of my favorite comedians prior to learning about the allegations made against him (and his response). At this point I wouldn't see him live again. I think his apology was, at best, a tentative first step, and IMO he'd need to do a lot more to demonstrate that he's learned from his mistakes, regrets them, fully understands why they were wrong, apologizes and makes amends to each person whose consent he violated, and pledges to donate the majority of his earnings going forward to fighting sexual assault, at a bare minimum, before I'd even consider seeing him live again.

And I'd seriously consider refraining from giving my business to any comedy club or venue that gave him their platform before he did any of these things.

But others are free to spend their entertainment dollars how they choose.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:18 PM

As far as I know, he self funds most of his work. I was not much of a fan before. Nor has the allegations and accusations made me change my view of his comedies.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
His "admission and apology" was indeed courageous, certainly the actions of a contrite and broken man, and not a naked and laughably transparent attempt to mitigate his disgusting, perverse actions, actions that he repeated time and time again over the course of multiple decades.
Love it. He also gently complimented himself in his apology which was great.

I liked much of his comedy but, some of it was too intensely personal for me to enjoy. That seems to be a current trend and I tune out at that point.

Much of his humor such as about masturbation will now seem creepy because we know it is true, not just a joke.

Still, I think he will have a fairly successful comeback. Almost everyone forgets.

Last edited by Mikemike2; 10-17-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM

"Anyone here mind if I treat myself to a little diddle?"
Old 10-17-2018, 02:48 PM

As my small way of showing solidarity to the brave and chastened Mr C.K., I have started a charity called "Helping Hands" which assists "Up & Coming" struggling standup comedians by providing Kleenex and Vaseline to those who cannot afford them on their own.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM

His career was essentially stand-up, a little cable show the critics loved but wasn't a huge hit, plus various self-published projects. He wasn't much of a "star" in the sense of movies and television, or anything that relied on advertising or sponsors.

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone or do anything to go do stand-up again; it's not like there are advertisers to boycott. Either people buy tickets or they don't. He also doesn't need to do anything to self-publish projects, as again, no avenues for protestors to apply leverage. He won't get his FX show back even if he apologizes, but that was always a bit of a side part of his career anyway.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I recently read he did an unannounced, late night cameo at a stand up club.

Many in the audience were not pleased to have not been notified, saying they wouldn’t have come had they known.
And some people got up and left.

Not sure how I’d react myself.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:58 PM

I wonder if I Love You, Daddy will ever be released.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

So is CK too stupid to hire a PR guy to fix his BS? This should have been an easy fix for him. Hire a PR guy, get counseling, and then do an apology tour on all the talk show circuits.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
So is CK too stupid to hire a PR guy to fix his BS? This should have been an easy fix for him. Hire a PR guy, get counseling, and then do an apology tour on all the talk show circuits.
You'd think he'd be smart enough to do that. Then again, you'd think he'd be smart enough not to whip it out and start playing with himself in the presence of people who don't want to see that shit, in the first place.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think his apology was, at best, a tentative first step, and IMO he'd need to do a lot more to demonstrate that he's learned from his mistakes, regrets them, fully understands why they were wrong, apologizes and makes amends to each person whose consent he violated, and pledges to donate the majority of his earnings going forward to fighting sexual assault, at a bare minimum, before I'd even consider seeing him live again.
Yeah, I need more public displays of penance and remorse and apology. As it is, his premature comeback makes him seem narcissistic. (Of course, he is! But he can try to avoid the appearance a little more, yah?)

But, I guess he's just going to put himself out there, feel it out, see what comes of it.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM

I was (am?) a big fan, but his lack of accountability statement was pathetic. It amounted to him sayng "I'm sorry I whipped it out, oops." Which doesn't begin to address his actions. If he'd like to be a man and offer a proper apology and try to repair the damage he caused, I might listen. As long as he'd like to be a weasel trying to make a buck he can fuck himself. Be a man, Louis.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
But, I guess he's just going to put himself out there, feel it out, see what comes of it.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 PM

If he can entertain me it's none of my business what he does in his private life - if he's done anything illegal I believe law enforcement can handle that.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Unfortunately as noted by Fake Kavanaugh last year and evidenced by real Kavanaugh this year, being contrite simply leads to be ostracized while being aggressive in defending oneself results in survival.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Unfortunately as noted by Fake Kavanaugh last year and evidenced by real Kavanaugh this year, being contrite simply leads to be ostracized while being aggressive in defending oneself results in survival.
Yeah. If we've learned anything these last few years it is that denying everything and threatening your victims wins you far more support from the public than being honest, admitting guilt and accepting responsibility.

Al Franken stepped down, Trump is still president.

The fact that CK didn't go this route, didn't go the route of 'none of this happened and I'm going to destroy these women's lives' like so many other men did makes me want him to get some leniency. But sadly it seems like CK is getting more flak than people who threaten their victims like Moore, Kavanaugh or Trump.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 10-18-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:34 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
I recently read he did an unannounced, late night cameo at a stand up club.

Many in the audience were not pleased to have not been notified, saying they wouldn’t have come had they known.
And some people got up and left.

Not sure how I’d react myself.
That’s how those types of showcase shows work. That’s why The Comedy Cellar is the premiere club in NYC. There’s a host and a few named comics. Often there will be several unannounced other comics. You take your chances that it could be someone you hate or who offends you. There are other clubs with more traditional headliner/opener where surprise drop ins are much less likely.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Maybe he could pair up with Roseanne Barr for a comeback tour.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:01 PM

He produced 'Baskets' on FX, one of the best little black-humor cable shows I have ever seen. Louie Anderson won an Emmy for portraying 'Mom Baskets'. I think Louis C.K. is a despicable sad excuse for a human being, but no denying he has talents.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 PM

I'm usually too cheap to buy tickets for anything (except Drive-By Truckers), but I'd go see him for free.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
pledges to donate the majority of his earnings going forward to fighting sexual assault, at a bare minimum, before I'd even consider seeing him live again.
Like, for the rest of his life he should donate the majority of his earnings to get you to buy a ticket? You don't think that's a little over the top?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:25 PM

I guess I am the only one who wants him to crawl on his knees the thousand miles of the Camino de Compostela with a gag in his mouth, then. Huh.

But then I never cared for stand-up comedy.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 10-18-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
He produced 'Baskets' on FX, one of the best little black-humor cable shows I have ever seen. Louie Anderson won an Emmy for portraying 'Mom Baskets'. I think Louis C.K. is a despicable sad excuse for a human being, but no denying he has talents.
He was also the creator and a exec producer on 'better things' which has been picked up for another season. Wonder if he'll have to take a step back from that. It's a nice little gritty comedy.

eta: actually, I see his production company has been kicked from the show

Last edited by CarnalK; 10-18-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Like, for the rest of his life he should donate the majority of his earnings to get you to buy a ticket? You don't think that's a little over the top?
I don't know, but for now that'd be a good starting point. IMO what he did was pretty egregiously bad, and it would take a pretty major (and probably long-term!) act of good will and decency to make up for it.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I guess I am the only one who wants him to crawl on his knees the thousand miles of the Camino de Compostela with a gag in his mouth, then. Huh.

But then I never cared for stand-up comedy.
No, I think I am even more extreme than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Old 10-18-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but for now that'd be a good starting point. IMO what he did was pretty egregiously bad, and it would take a pretty major (and probably long-term!) act of good will and decency to make up for it.
What he did was wrong and gross but he didn't actually assault anyone. So why should he contribute half his earning to combat sexual assault? One of the incidents happened over the phone, for Pete's sake.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What he did was wrong and gross but he didn't actually assault anyone. So why should he contribute half his earning to combat sexual assault? One of the incidents happened over the phone, for Pete's sake.
Contributing/donating a significant portion of a very large salary isn't an egregious penalty, IMO. It's pretty mild, in fact, IMO. In my understanding, he violated the consent (i.e. did not acquire consent from these women to take part in his sexual behavior, even though "taking part" only involved observing or hearing his... activities) of multiple women. And he didn't fully acknowledge this.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 10-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
With Michael Richards as the opening act.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Contributing/donating a significant portion of a very large salary isn't an egregious penalty, IMO. It's pretty mild, in fact, IMO. In my understanding, he violated the consent (i.e. did not acquire consent from these women to take part in his sexual behavior, even though "taking part" only involved observing or hearing his... activities) of multiple women. And he didn't fully acknowledge this.
How much do you think comics make for a 15 minute set at a comedy club? If he ever gets to the point where he is making a living wage off of comedy again then we’ll see. Since he sunk quite a bit of his own money into projects and went through a divorce who knows how much money he has kept from previous earnings.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
You said the majority of his salary. Yeah, that's pretty egregious. Would you suggest such a penalty for any other crime committed by someone in any other profession?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
You said the majority of his salary. Yeah, that's pretty egregious. Would you suggest such a penalty for any other crime committed by someone in any other profession?
For someone barely earning more than they spend (say, a plumber) -- yeah, that'd be egregious, and I'd instead advocate for some major, long-term volunteer work. But for a rich guy who's still getting royalties on tons of properties? I don't think that's particularly egregious. YMMV.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
With Michael Richards as the opening act.
Funny take on the Michael Richards incident by Dave Chappelle:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kth0UOU5a_M
Old 10-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Dave Chappelle had a bit to say on the Louis CK incidents as well.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I find a lot of the discussion about whether disgraced people "can" or "cannot" make a comeback a little . . . separated from how this whole thing works.

You "can" make a comeback, or continue working in your industry, the minute people are willing to pay to see you.

So in that sense, while he may not be back at pre-disgrace fame and income, he is certainly allowed to try to sell his comedy for cash, and apparently is finding some success at it.

That said, I know that I (and many others) are choosing to no longer pay for/support his comedy. I also know that many others, men and women, are totally willing and interested in seeing a Louis CK show.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
You "can" make a comeback, or continue working in your industry, the minute people are willing to pay to see you.
True to an extent, but if you're dependent on advertising or sponsorships or any kind of corporate money at all (like, for example, a network or movie studio greenlighting your project) then even if you have people willing to pay to see you, you can be derailed by other people pressuring the corporations through protests and boycotts.

Someone like Louie CK doesn't need any corporate support to resume his career, so he can mount whatever kind of comeback he wants whenever he pleases.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post

So in that sense, while he may not be back at pre-disgrace fame and income, he is certainly allowed to try to sell his comedy for cash, and apparently is finding some success at it.
What do you mean by some success? As far as I can tell he did a few minutes of material twice. That length of a spot usually pays a couple hundred at most. Big name comics usually do those drop ins for free to work on new material.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Yeah, the guy has real big time problems. Take just the "I Lost $35 Million in an Hour." statement.

1. He did not lose anything in an hour. This took decades of horrible behavior to achieve.

2. Stuff was dribbling out for several years and nothing magically happened in an hour.

3. No one emptied $35M from his bank account in an hour (or longer). You can't lose hoped for future earnings.

4. It's not about the money, you freakin' fool! It's about human beings other than yourself!

The ego on this guy is astonishing. He is a long way from understanding his issues.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Take just the "I Lost $35 Million in an Hour." statement.
IIUC, that's something he said in the context of a comedy set. So you might be taking it too seriously.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, the guy has real big time problems. Take just the "I Lost $35 Million in an Hour." statement.

1. He did not lose anything in an hour. This took decades of horrible behavior to achieve.

2. Stuff was dribbling out for several years and nothing magically happened in an hour.

3. No one emptied $35M from his bank account in an hour (or longer). You can't lose hoped for future earnings.

4. It's not about the money, you freakin' fool! It's about human beings other than yourself!

The ego on this guy is astonishing. He is a long way from understanding his issues.
All true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Nah, I'll join you in that sentiment.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
IIUC, that's something he said in the context of a comedy set. So you might be taking it too seriously.
Even in that context, it's plain what it says. He's saying, "It's all about meeeeeeee. Don't pay any attention to those women I was creepy and gross in front of, they don't count. Life was unfair to meeeeeeeeee."
Old 10-18-2018, 10:43 PM

To be honest, even watching stuff with straight-up criminals like Mark Wahlberg or Mike Tyson doesn't really bother me too much.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
What do you mean by some success? As far as I can tell he did a few minutes of material twice. That length of a spot usually pays a couple hundred at most. Big name comics usually do those drop ins for free to work on new material.
Eh, then he’s not, I stand corrected. My point is simply that he doesn’t have to satisfy my desires, or iiandyiiiii’s desires to “make a comeback,” he’s just got to be able to sell enough tickets to make it worth his while (and, have venues believe in his ability to draw a crowd and think that any associated negative press won’t hurt them in the long run).
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Not only that, he had his management team threaten his victims with professional retaliation if they came forward with what he did. He didn't just make women who were new in the industry and vulnerable watch him jerk off, he also made sure that they knew that if they said anything their careers were dead before they started. Poor Louis, there were consequences for his actions, how unfair for him.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Louis C.K needs to make a living. He's got bills just like anyone else.

I assume some fans will buy tickets. It'll take a few lean years to get past his past behavior.

I'm not interested in throwing rocks at glass houses. It's up to the audiences to decide if he's worth seeing.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Louis C.K needs to make a living. He's got bills just like anyone else.

I assume some fans will buy tickets. It'll take a few lean years to get past his past behavior.
Pretty sure he could retire if he wanted to. He's worth 25mill according to Google.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
That actually makes things worse, not better.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Even in that context, it's plain what it says. He's saying, "It's all about meeeeeeee. Don't pay any attention to those women I was creepy and gross in front of, they don't count. Life was unfair to meeeeeeeeee."
First, if he had actually said that, in so many words, as part of a comedy routine, I would have laughed.

Second, I went back and read the linked article again, and I didn't see anything to indicate that he was claiming life as unfair to him or that he didn't deserve the consequences he got.

On the other hand, someone who was present said, “Sounds to me he is owning up, acknowledging, and trying to figure it out.” I didn't get that sense from what was written in the article, but I might well have gotten a different impression if I had actually been there and heard everything he had to say. Or not.

Bottom line, for me: There wasn't anything reported in that article to make me raise or lower my estimation of CK.