Old 10-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Do you think Donald Trump's entire NYC penthouse is a gaudy as the pictures?

https://www.idesignarch.com/wp-conte...enthouse_8.jpg

When i've seen pics over the years, I used to assume the gold and Louis XIV style was just a show area. Kind of like the formal living room at your great grandmothers that hasn't actually been used since 1950. The rest of the place must be a comfortable (probably very nice) normal home. Who could actually relax in a morgue like environment as in the pics?

But maybe all of it IS decorated that way. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Some of the people who have written about him over the years have said that it is. Another consistent thing is that they never saw ANY kind of reading materials anywhere in the house, not even in the kids' rooms.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure his egomania would demand that it be. Good taste is not his thing.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Some of the people who have written about him over the years have said that it is. Another consistent thing is that they never saw ANY kind of reading materials anywhere in the house, not even in the kids' rooms.
I heard he had "Presidentin' for Dummies" in the bathroom.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I heard he had "Presidentin' for Dummies" in the bathroom.
That’s just in case he runs out of toilet paper.

Stranger
Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
There's a gigantic book on the table in the picture. Doesn't look like anybody has been reading it though.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manduck View Post
There's a gigantic book on the table in the picture. Doesn't look like anybody has been reading it though.
It looks like a game box to me, not a book.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
That’s just in case he runs out of toilet paper.

Stranger
Now, he has a copy of the Constitution for that
Old 10-19-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Not to unwheel the band wagon but, fancy reading material probably comes with a screen, not a cover.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2500 View Post
Not to unwheel the band wagon but, fancy reading material probably comes with a screen, not a cover.
You mean Twitter?

The man lives to 'impress' people. He lives to try to impress himself. This is his idea of class.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I wouldn't doubt that every square inch is as tacky as the photo.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:35 AM

I've seen worse, so yes I completely believe Trump's penthouse is quite gaudy.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
It looks like a game box to me, not a book.
Blowing up the image, it looks like a book to me with... boxers?... on the cover. But I doubt anyone is reading it. That's not a "Trump" thing, just that it's comically huge and no doubt picked for decoration because it's white and imagining anyone settling into one of those chairs with that thing in their lap is ridiculous. If all the inside pages were blank, I'd barely be surprised. Or if it opened and was hollow for storing stuff.

Quote:
If people have been saying it "over the years", for as long as Trump's been Trump, that predates the Kindle era. And, really, who doesn't have kid's books around (assuming you have kids)? You read Goodnight Moon and Pat the Bunny on the Kindle?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:03 AM

Not only is it gaudy, it all looks so uncomfortable. It's set up to look good, not to feel good. Think about waking up on a Saturday morning, walking across that cold floor with a coffee to sit in one of those ugly chairs and read the paper. Can you imagine yourself actually living in that space?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

You don't think Trump actually lives in that space himself, do you? Surely he has people for that.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Apparently the book is a limited-edition tribute to Muhammad Ali worth $15,000. More pictures here. It's The Daily Mail, but this seems like just the sort of story they are qualified to cover.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Not only is it gaudy, it all looks so uncomfortable. It's set up to look good, not to feel good. Think about waking up on a Saturday morning, walking across that cold floor with a coffee to sit in one of those ugly chairs and read the paper. Can you imagine yourself actually living in that space?
This is what I mean. There has to be some part of the man that enjoys some warm colors and a comfortable sofa... Also he had 4 children. I can't imagine being a child in that mausoleum.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:30 PM

I remember seeing some sort of "rich and famous lifestyle' show on him 20 or so years ago and yes if I recall correctly the actual living quarters were less gaudy.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 PM

someone said it's so gaudy it makes the palace of versailles look like a meth users trailer
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

It looks to me like the owner packed it with things he believes to be "classy" due to their price tag, without giving any other considerations.

Imagine in a NY accent: "Check dis out, dis paintin here? Two million dollahs. Classss." Just walking around, saying something similar about every object. Classy as a gilt storage shed.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:02 PM

As more than one commentator has pointed out, Donald Trump is a poor person's idea of what a rich person is.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:59 PM

trump's role model:

Oopulence. I has zeet.

With bonus Russian akzent.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
trump's role model:

Oopulence. I has zeet.

With bonus Russian akzent.
Awww, the petite lap giraffe!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
As more than one commentator has pointed out, Donald Trump is a poor person's idea of what a rich person is.
That's true. And yet, he was born into money and, from what I've heard, his mother was a classy woman.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
John Mulaney had a bit about how Trump is like a hobo's idea of what a rich man is. "Oh boy, when my number comes in, I'm gonna build big gold buildings with my name on them! And I'm gonna have a head full of wavy golden hair!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
That's true. And yet, he was born into money and, from what I've heard, his mother was a classy woman.
He has her hair.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintas View Post
https://www.idesignarch.com/wp-conte...enthouse_8.jpg

When i've seen pics over the years, I used to assume the gold and Louis XIV style was just a show area. Kind of like the formal living room at your great grandmothers that hasn't actually been used since 1950. The rest of the place must be a comfortable (probably very nice) normal home. Who could actually relax in a morgue like environment as in the pics?

But maybe all of it IS decorated that way. What do you think?
Pretty hideous. I think he probably does have a more comfortable space somewhere, yes. This is a guy who likes to get a sack full of McDonald's and chow down after all. He has his display area and trophy wife, but he's probably got a nice comfy chair in his office and a seriously plush couch I'd bet. It might be a gaudy desk and gaudy couch, but I would bet it's comfy and probably has a cup holder for his extra large soda to go with his triple cheese burger and trough sized fries. JMHO of course...I haven't actually made any sort of study of the man either before or after we saddled ourselves with this idiot.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
And yet, he was born into money and, from what I've heard, his mother was a classy woman.
Money =/= good taste.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
John Mulaney had a bit about how Trump is like a hobo's idea of what a rich man is. "Oh boy, when my number comes in, I'm gonna build big gold buildings with my name on them! And I'm gonna have a head full of wavy golden hair!"

He has her hair.
So it's confirmed he's wearing a wig.

Eew.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If David Pakman can be believed, Trump can't read, at least above a first-grade level. With glasses or without.

Which makes comprehension very difficult.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I bet the test of the place is like a nightmare. I mean that's the part he was willing to SHOW people.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
You mean Twitter?

The man lives to 'impress' people. He lives to try to impress himself. This is his idea of class.
No, I meant electronic books and tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If people have been saying it "over the years", for as long as Trump's been Trump, that predates the Kindle era. And, really, who doesn't have kid's books around (assuming you have kids)? You read Goodnight Moon and Pat the Bunny on the Kindle?
Long leaps to get from "no books in a picture" to "the kids don't have books" to "obvious simpleton". Whether these things are true I have no idea, but a lack of books is hardly proof of it.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
And, really, who doesn't have kid's books around (assuming you have kids)?
Teachers and other people who work with children would be able to tell you some real horror stories, and not just with "at risk" families.

And Dumpster's dick obviously worked 5 times, not 4.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Teachers and other people who work with children would be able to tell you some real horror stories, and not just with "at risk" families.

And Dumpster's dick obviously worked 5 times, not 4.
Everyone forgets Tiffany because she's the lucky one that got away.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No, I meant electronic books and tablets.

Long leaps to get from "no books in a picture" to "the kids don't have books" to "obvious simpleton". Whether these things are true I have no idea, but a lack of books is hardly proof of it.
Very well. He can manage Twitter though. That's pretty much all we know of his reading and writing ability. That the President of the United States uses Twitter to communicate his intended policies and thoughts is absurd.

Trump writes and speaks like an inaccurate mortar round. In my business, we call them SCUDS. If you remember, the first Iraq war had plenty of them. You can't plan for them, you don't know if they are going to work and you don't know where they will land. Could this be some sort of grand plan from a genius to keep everyone off balance? Well you will have to decide for yourself. IMHO, it's just a moron appealing to morons.

Republicans have invited an angry, stupid chimpanzee into their house with the hope that the chimp will steal enough bananas that they will get some.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Everyone forgets Tiffany because she's the lucky one that got away.
Probably the smartest one of the bunch. I'd hide too.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Republicans have invited an angry, stupid chimpanzee into their house
Correction: They've invited an angry, stupid chimpanzee into OUR house...
Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 AM

The rich guy home in “Devils Advocate”, is Trumps actual apartment.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Good thing that's not the route I was taking. I was replying to someone saying multiple visitor accounts are that there's no books to be seen, not basing it off the one photo. And I never said "obvious simpleton". I did dismiss the idea that they perhaps have a bajillion books on electronic devices but don't own any physical books as... improbable. Especially given his age and the length of time electronic books have been available.

Quote:
True, but that's because they just don't read. Not because they keep The Monster At The End Of This Book exclusively on Kindle.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
If David Pakman can be believed, Trump can't read, at least above a first-grade level. With glasses or without.

What is Mr. Pakman's cite for that? I despise Trump, I would dance on his grave, but it's hard to believe that he could function in society at all without that ability.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 AM

In time we will know. In twenty years, it will be the President Donald J Trump Home. The National Park Service rangers will offer guided tours.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
In time we will know. In twenty years, it will be the President Donald J Trump Home. The National Park Service rangers will offer guided tours.
If the building is still safe to occupy.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure I read the exact same claim made against George W Bush, someone who it turned out, read a lot.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
What is Mr. Pakman's cite for that? I despise Trump, I would dance on his grave, but it's hard to believe that he could function in society at all without that ability.
I've known people who functioned in society while being able to read at about a 3rd-grade level, and some who couldn't even do that; in some cases it's linked to dyslexia, and the ones that make my head hurt are those who can read if only they'd get glasses.

A coworker had long been thought to be one of the "bad readers" but we figured out he went beyond that on the day he "couldn't understand a shipping document" he had clipped upside-down (he thought it must be cyrillic alphabet or something - he was able to recognize patterns enough to match the words on the paperwork to the labels on packages, but not to actually read). At the time of the upside-down clipping he'd worked in the warehouse for over 20 years.

Last edited by Nava; 10-22-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Here's at least one Pakman show that makes that claim [that Trump can't read]. In the comments are links to supporting docs from the New Yorker, Salon, and others. It's hard to substantiate such a claim if your subject doesn't want you to investigate and won't answer direct questions, but the analysis seems to have some credibility. From the NewYorker article:
Quote:
[Tony] Schwartz [Trump's memoir ghostwriter] believes that Trump’s short attention span has left him with “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.” He said, “That’s why he so prefers TV as his first news source—information comes in easily digestible sound bites.” He added, “I seriously doubt that Trump has ever read a book straight through in his adult life.” During the eighteen months that he observed Trump, Schwartz said, he never saw a book on Trump’s desk, or elsewhere in his office, or in his apartment.

Other journalists have noticed Trump’s apparent lack of interest in reading. In May, Megyn Kelly, of Fox News, asked him to name his favorite book, other than the Bible or “The Art of the Deal.” Trump picked the 1929 novel “All Quiet on the Western Front.” Evidently suspecting that many years had elapsed since he’d read it, Kelly asked Trump to talk about the most recent book he’d read. “I read passages, I read areas, I’ll read chapters—I don’t have the time,” Trump said. As The New Republic noted recently, this attitude is not shared by most U.S. Presidents, including Barack Obama, a habitual consumer of current books, and George W. Bush, who reportedly engaged in a fiercely competitive book-reading contest with his political adviser Karl Rove.
As far as functioning in society, if you're rich enough, devious enough and arrogant enough, you can get someone to do almost everything for you except pee.

Last edited by Musicat; 10-22-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
As far as functioning in society, if you're rich enough, devious enough and arrogant enough, you can get someone to do almost everything for you except pee.
I'm sure you could pay someone to insert a catheter and empty the bag on a regular basis.

One of the late night comedians (John Oliver?) described Trump's decorating style as, "How Elvis remembered what Versailles looks like."
Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
She was the daughter of a dirt poor Scottish crofter, so if she came across as classy, she was putting it on.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintas View Post
This is what I mean. There has to be some part of the man that enjoys some warm colors and a comfortable sofa... Also he had 4 children. I can't imagine being a child in that mausoleum.
Trump has said he didn't have much to do with the raising of his kids, and that seems to be consistent with the three oldest kids' comments about their closeness with their maternal grandparents. Given his generally narcissistic attitude towards everything, I doubt he makes comfortable space in his home for anyone. If you give people a comfy place to sit, they're going to stay and take up your time.