Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM

2018 Election Day Thread

This is the thread for discussing election day news...
  • Turnout
  • Irregularities
  • Weather
  • Personal experiences at the polls
  • Etc

Please keep it civil and have fun.

We can open another thread for election returns later in the day.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:45 AM

I'll start.

Colorado. Vote by mail. I voted like a week ago.

There's a mild buzz around the office about election day partly because one of our clients is a national level PAC that is highly concerned with this election.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 AM

CBS Newspath

Quote:
AZ MIDTERMS- POLLING PLACE FORECLOSED- VO TUE0161- Polls in Maricopa County and Arizona opened at 6am but some Valley locations are already experiencing issues. Three polling places are currently down, incl in the Gila Precinct in Chandler. The building was foreclosed overnight.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:51 AM

How fucking convenient. Wow!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM

I voted this morning and had to wait in line for a few minutes (it was the pre-8am rush). I was a bit surprised, because I don't remember having to wait in line like that for anything other than a Presidential election. We do have the Governor's race today though, so that may explain it. By the time I walked out, the line had all but disappeared.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM

How does anyone justify foreclosing on a property containing a polling place the night before a major election??
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM

I voted without much trouble today (SC - 5). About a ten min. process, start (getting in line) to finish (getting my sticker and walking out). Steady flow of people.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Oops, We Forgot to Plug In the Voting Machine

Quote:
In Indianapolis, voters at West Lake Elementary school arrived to find the machines ó in this case, optical scanners ó unplugged and only one volunteer manning the polling place. When contacted by ProPublica, elections officials in Marion County said they were unaware of the issue, but they dispatched a mechanic to the site to get the machines up and running after our call.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Voted this morning in PA. When I got home my gf went to vote. We got our stickers, yay!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
They can only be plugged in by a union electrician, and all union electricians are required, by law, to be given Election Day off. (Just kidding!!)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Turned in Colorado ballot yesterday. 80% Republican, 20% Democrat and 1 Libertarian
Yes on 73
No on 74
Yes on 112

Last edited by Saint Cad; 11-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Stickers, eh? That's rather amusing.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
You've never seen adults so excited to get stickers. Seriously, it's one of the biggest draws.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcoolbj77 View Post
You've never seen adults so excited to get stickers. Seriously, it's one of the biggest draws.
As a high school teacher, I regularly used stickers in my classroom. The ones who were most insistent upon getting their stickers when they had qualified for them were the seniors (17 to 18 years old). By extrapolation, it's no shock that getting a sticker as an adult is so cherished.

I proudly wear mine. I consider it the American version of the purple finger.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
How does anyone justify foreclosing on a property containing a polling place the night before a major election??
Money.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
In 2016 I put my "I Voted" sticker on our parrot's travel cage. Haven't decided what to do with today's.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Iím working on an early shift. Iíll vote about 2:30 and then prep for my election night party that starts at 7.

And donít bring down the stickers, yo. Uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
It's in a Republican district so I think it is Democrats suppressing votes.
SPOILER:
Just kidding

Quote:
Amusing, yes. I call it the "mark of shame". I throw mine out the minute I exit the building (I don't want to be rude to the poor schlub handing them out).
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 AM

I was one of the first persons to vote in my precinct this morning in my ruby red Southern CA district. Even though most of the people I know opt to vote by mail, I enjoy the whole experience of driving to my polling location and voting in person. It's fun.

I showed up about 10 minutes before the polls opened and there were about a dozen people in line already. The whole process took about half an hour and there weren't any major issues.

I live in one of the reddest parts of SoCal and my GOP representative is not going to lose, which sucks.

I voted straight Dem but voted for Feinstein's Democratic opponent over her; she's been in the Senate too long and we need a new face up there. Also voted yes on 12, which is the only prop that I really cared about this cycle.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greathouse View Post
How fucking convenient. Wow!
Convenient how, exactly? Looking it up, that county went for Trump and it was the owner of the property that put the padlocks on. It's good to be vigilant but not every election day glitch is voter suppression.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM

We voted by mail a week or so ago. Nothing really interesting in elections in Oregon. Someone spray-painted a yes on 104 sign across the street from my house. From what I can tell yes on 104 is a yes so that Coca-Cola will never get taxed.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I just got back from doing my part for Cordray, Brown, and assorted other office-holders (though most of the local Democrats would be pretty safe around here, anyway). There were no lines, but that's just because they had twice as many booths set up as usual: They were more than half full, so there would have been a line forming if they hadn't. There were more voters than I've seen even in Presidential years.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcoolbj77 View Post
Honestly, it's the only thing I miss about precinct voting.

I'm going to steal a line from the great Democratic strategist Paul Begala, and say I'm as nervous today as a porcupine in a balloon factory.

Still, there are many reasons to be optimistic, and I remain cautiously so. Even with respect to Senate races.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 AM

I just have to say on the real side that it would be very weird if the same kind of forces exist today that put trunp in the white house. Two years of exposure changes things.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:53 AM

I voted this morning before work. It was just starting to rain in Metro Detroit but I was able to get inside. The line inside was not bad. The ballot was MASSIVE though. We aren't allowed to use our cellphones so I had to study a bit to make sure I remembered who all I wanted. My only complaint was that they had us filling in boxes with a ballpoint pen. It's just so inefficient.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
and say I'm as nervous today as a porcupine in a balloon factory.
I'm thinking that the balloons have more to worry about.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I voted this morning before work. It was just starting to rain in Metro Detroit but I was able to get inside. The line inside was not bad. The ballot was MASSIVE though. We aren't allowed to use our cellphones so I had to study a bit to make sure I remembered who all I wanted. My only complaint was that they had us filling in boxes with a ballpoint pen. It's just so inefficient.
Yes, but at least you have a paper trail.

I've probably said this a dozen times, but more states need to go 100% vote by mail.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Given the possibility of electronic voting being hacked, I would love to go back to voting by making marks on ballots. Just please don't ever go back to punch cards and hanging chads!!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM

18-29 age group voting early in Tenn went up 7x vs. 2014 and their senate race is supposed to be close
Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I happened to show up at the polling place right behind our town's Chief of Police. Everyone there knew him so he was being greeted by name and a couple of the volunteers even hugged him.

With me it was more like "Yeah...you can vote too, I guess..."
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM

But did you get a sticker????????
Old 11-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Voted just before 10:00 am. Thirty people in line ahead of me. The ballot was long -- besides the big, nationally relevant elections, (I'm voting in Florida this year), there are also lots of small judgeships and 12 amendments on the ballot. I did my research and filled out the sample ballot ahead of time, took it in with me to make it easy. Some poor fellow obviously hadn't done that, and took at least 20 minutes in his little voting spot.

Oh, yes, paper ballot, fed it into the machine myself, I was the 588th person to vote at that polling place this am, and the weather was perfect.

Last edited by Tapiotar; 11-06-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:18 PM

Small-town Kansas. Hot governor's race and semi-hot local state rep race. Voted about 9:30. Short line to get checked in; no line for either a machine or booth. Used a paper ballot and was annoyed at how long it took to 'completely darken each oval' using a black pen.

And I got a sticker and am wearing it proudly.

Last edited by Railer13; 11-06-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 PM

Pouring down rain today and not much of a line. Mostly old people as usual.

Rain hitting the DC/Philly/NJ/NY/Boston population centers. That may depress some numbers today.

ETA: I obtained a sticker, so mission was successful.

Last edited by Hermitian; 11-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.

I voted early a couple of weeks ago. I'm following 538's liveblog here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blo...d=extra_banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Man, I hope you're right!!

I suppose in the spirit of the thread I should add that I voted by mail already, received no sticker, the weather today is chilly but beautiful, and I hope I helped pop a big orange balloon in this mid-term election!!
Old 11-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Voted absentee. Voted straight Democrat. Didn't really have anything interesting on the ballot, just a bunch of budget stuff. Voted for Ben Jealous, but I don't think he'll win.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Voted this morning before work. Made it in about 7:15, after polls opened at 6. I was #64 for my ward.

Some anecdata:

1. I've never walked into my polling place before work and waited more than 2-3 people in line. Today was about a dozen. And the line kept regenerating. It was definitely the pre-work rush, but it kept rushing.

2. About half those people weren't sure what to do, where to go, or what precinct/ward/line they were supposed to be in. But dammit they wanted to vote, badly.

3. A nice older gentleman wearing a Navy ship ballcap and a middle aged woman a few people behind me were talking about how important this vote was today.

Conclusion:
Based on my extensive 15 minutes at one small polling place in NJ-03 (MacArthur's district), I can confidently say turnout this election will be through the roof, despite the ensuing rain that followed after I left. Lots of people are finding it important to vote, and there are definitely a good number of newer/infrequent voters at the polls.

PS - I voted straight Dem. But not brainlessly as suggested in the Pit, with full knowledge and foresight.

Last edited by Celidin; 11-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:41 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
I unfortunately know many folks who would be delighted to be a porcupine in a balloon factory.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM

I voted early a couple of weeks ago, straight Democratic but going through each race individually rather than selecting the straight Democratic option . Today I'm making my list of which races to keep an eye on as the polls close tonight, and tonight will be the election watch party at home. There will probably be a lot of pacing at my house tonight.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Voted at ~8:30 am, was #60 at my polling place, which had opened at 7 am. Not sure if that is indicative of anything, but all the voting desks were full so people were overflowing onto chairs/couches/benches.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I unfortunately know many folks who would be delighted to be a porcupine in a balloon factory.
See, I don't understand how that one is supposed to work. I prefer "As nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs."
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Voted at 8:00 this morning at the local elementary school cafeteria. Longer line than usual, in the sense that there actually was a line. Usually in any non-presidential election I just stroll up to the check-in counter but this time I had to wait behind 2 people, one of whom had to be given a provisional ballot as the system showed they had already requested a mail-in ballot. By the time I left the line had gotten much longer as lots of parents were getting in line after dropping off their kids. (Classes start at 8:45). And I got to continue my 34 year streak of never showing ID. I just show them my sample ballot booklet and they do the lookup. Don't know if that's because I'm in California or because I'm white or both.

Fun campaign experience over the weekend. Ted Lieu, my House Rep, came to my door, not as part of his own campaign, but to campaign for his wife's run for School Board. The local school board is where he started his political career as well. He didn't even mention his own reelection. Not that it matters - I don't even know the name of his opponent. I told him I enjoyed his Twitter feed.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I showed up about ten minutes before my polling place opened, and there was already a line. It does not seem to me to be significantly different than previous, midterm election days, and I was in and out in about twenty minutes. My city tends slightly Democratic.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Report: Voters turned away at Detroit polling site due to missing voting machines

Quote:
According to the news station, the polling site was temporarily closed off to voters because election workers were unable to locate the voting machines.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But did you get a sticker????????
Voting without getting a sticker? Not in this man's America.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:58 PM

I voted by mail about 2 weeks ago. I'll admit - I did give pause before dropping it in the mail. I live in Georgia where one candidate for governor (Kemp) is also the current secretary of state who refused to step down over his obvious conflict of interest. I wish I had more faith that my vote will be counted. But living in an extremely conservative part of the state, I figured the secretary of state (Republican candidate for governor) wouldn't be throwing out too many ballots from my area.

I'll also note that my polling precinct changed again this year - 3rd time in 6 years, each further from my home then the last. The only way I knew was a very nondescript postcard that came in the mail about a month ago.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM

My GF working the polls today in NC and they are very busy even with the large early voting turnout.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:01 PM

I voted early a couple of weeks ago. They had no stickers, damn it!

We have all-electronic voting machines. I voted straight-Dem, and made sure to triple-check my summary screen to be sure that there was no 'glitch' changing my vote for Beto to Cruz.

I know Beto is a long shot, but at least it's a shot!

I was glad to hear that incumbent Republican congressman Pete Sessions is trailing Democratic challenger Colin Allred by a few points in the latest polls. It's not my district, but I'd love to see Sessions lose.