Old 11-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Sessions is out

Quote:
Sessions out at Justice Department

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is out as the top official at the Justice Department, a development that is likely to spark a firestorm of criticism following the midterm elections.
- Source (The Hill)

Immediately after a Democratic House promises investigations.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Who is stupid enough to take his place?
Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Someone willing to fire Rosenstein and Mueller.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Matt Whitaker. Sessions' Chief of Staff. That's who.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Michael Cohen.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Lindsey Graham since SC is a safe seat for the GOP and Trump probably told Nikki Haley the seat is hers if she wants it

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 11-07-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trump's administration is like a clown car with a revolving door on it.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Looks to me like Trump wrote the resignation letter.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Sessions's interim replacement, Matthew Whitaker, wrote in 2017 that Mueller's investigation was going too far.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/06/opini...ion/index.html
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Michael Cohen.
Nooo, not after Cohen claimed Trump was making racist comments

It's gonna be Lindsay Graham, mark my words.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
There is *always* someone waiting in the wings willing to do the dirty work.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 11-07-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Lindsey Graham since SC is a safe seat for the GOP and Trump probably told Nikki Haley the seat is hers if she wants it
I'm reasonably certain Nikki Haley knows that Trump doesn't get to select replacement Senators. And Graham doesn't strike me as someone who would give up his nice little Senate gig.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM

trivia : Whitaker played TE for Iowa in the 1991 Rose bowl. Iowa lost 46-34 to Washington.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 11-07-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM

If Mueller is removed, Democrats in the House will definitely subpoena him and all his records publicly. Thank fuck they won the House.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
I'm reasonably certain Nikki Haley knows that Trump doesn't get to select replacement Senators. And Graham doesn't strike me as someone who would give up his nice little Senate gig.
Pshaw. He's been campaigning for the job.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 PM

Totally what an innocent man does. Totally.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Trump could strongly suggest to the governor of SC that he pick Haley and if he does give him a few favors .
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM

Classic Trump misdirection. Everyone's talking about how he lost the house and his guy in Montana lost? Give 'em some other bulllshit to reset the news cycle!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Pshaw. He's been campaigning for the job.
I am assuming you think going full partisan bulldog regarding Kavanaugh is campaigning for the job? I don't think so.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Graham previously said that firing Sessions would be “the beginning of the end of his presidency”.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM

Graham would not be the first senator to give up a safe seat for a cabinet job.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Graham would not be the first senator to give up a safe seat for a cabinet job.
Yes, but we'd have to look way way back in history. Like when Sessions took the job last year. I am saying Graham doesn't strike me as the type.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Hillary quit as senator to be SOS for Obama. And Kerry followed her and also quit the senate.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I am assuming you think going full partisan bulldog regarding Kavanaugh is campaigning for the job? I don't think so.
Full-on Trump ass licking after previously opposing him is campaigning for the job.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If Mueller is removed, Democrats in the House will definitely subpoena him and all his records publicly. Thank fuck they won the House.
And then what if he says "no, I don't have to give them over because blah blah whatever..."?

I think this is really bad. And from what I've heard about Matthew Whitaker in the last 20 minutes on MSNBC, it may be time to start panicking.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
And then what if he says "no, I don't have to give them over because blah blah whatever..."?

I think this is really bad. And from what I've heard about Matthew Whitaker in the last 20 minutes on MSNBC, it may be time to start panicking.
Sure, if Mueller decides to help Trump and hide the truth, then we're screwed. But I see no reason to believe that would happen. Why wouldn't he cooperate with a congress that wants the facts to come out?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 11-07-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Graham was talking this up back in August.

Graham: Trump will 'very likely' fire Sessions after midterms
Old 11-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Democrats will have the House in January. If they didn't, I'd be in full blown panic mode. Trump's misdeeds won't be swept under the rug this time. Now I'm wondering if Trump isn't just digging his own grave.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:51 PM

Mueller and Rosenstein almost certainly planned for this eventuality. I don't know what will happen, but I think it's likely that they're smarter than Trump and his lawyers.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. And, just to fix the unreferenced pronoun, "Democrats in the House will definitely subpoena Trump and all his records". Everything. Amen.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Possible bright spot in Sessions departure:

Cannabis related stock up 30%
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The current governor of SC was Nikki Haley's lieutenant governor, and is a huge, huge, Trump supporter. Whether or not Graham wants to become AG is debatable, but there's not a doubt in my mind that if Trump & Haley want her to take over the seat in the Senate, she'll get it.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blalron View Post
Democrats will have the House in January. If they didn't, I'd be in full blown panic mode. Trump's misdeeds won't be swept under the rug this time. Now I'm wondering if Trump isn't just digging his own grave.
What, exactly are the House Democrats going to do? All impeaching him will do is throw it to the Senate for the trial, which will almost certainly acquit him of just about anything, unless Mueller shows up with some kind of smoking gun.

And I agree with Clawdio; this smacks of redirecting the media focus away from the election outcome and onto something within Trump's control.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Mueller and Rosenstein almost certainly planned for this eventuality. I don't know what will happen, but I think it's likely that they're smarter than Trump and his lawyers.
This, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Absolutely. And, just to fix the unreferenced pronoun, "Democrats in the House will definitely subpoena Trump and all his records". Everything. Amen.
And then we'll find out what happens when a sitting president ignores a subpoena. I'm guessing nothing will happen.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Everyone knew this was coming, of course. But that doesn't mean Mueller can do anything to stop Whitaker from hamstringing him. He can just cut his budget, deny him subpoenas, etc. You won't hear Mueller publicly complain. I doubt he would even make copies of investigative records so that Whitaker cannot destroy them.

What you need to understand about Mueller is that he isn't some kind of secretly liberal superhero. He is a standard Republican. He believes in the rule of law, but he isn't going to break any DOJ rules or go out of his way to get Trump. He isn't going to hide records in a personal safe somewhere so that the Democrats can subpoena them or hold a press conference when Whitaker refuses indictments. He isn't going to play politics at all.

Will Whitaker or his replacement do all that? Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt we'll find out until months or years later. It is probably a good thing if liberals pop the fantasy bubble that Mueller was ever going to matter. He wasn't. In a normal functioning political system, he might have. But what should be clear to all now is that this is just a knife fight. No GOP'er is going to protect Mueller, much less take action based on Mueller's report. Mueller is not going to indict the President. He will make a report, maybe. It will be a news story for a week. And then something else will take over the news cycle. Prepare yourself for that now.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:05 PM

CNN reporting that Rosenstein just entered the White House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
And then we'll find out what happens when a sitting president ignores a subpoena. I'm guessing nothing will happen.
Sure, but the investigations will be directed to records of factually supportable actions and events. Whether someone known to be an inveterate liar shows up to lie some more, or not, isn't really relevant.

I have to say, though, that this is just comedy gold. I'm impressed that the fucker was able to wait the better part of 24 hours before firing Sessions. It was probably only because several conscientious staffers sat on him and took away his cell phone.

What a fucking clown show!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
What, exactly are the House Democrats going to do? All impeaching him will do is throw it to the Senate for the trial, which will almost certainly acquit him of just about anything, unless Mueller shows up with some kind of smoking gun.

And I agree with Clawdio; this smacks of redirecting the media focus away from the election outcome and onto something within Trump's control.
They'll investigate him and his administration when there's evidence of wrongdoing, and try to get the facts out into the open. There's tons of distance between "nothing" and "impeach now!".
Old 11-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Everyone knew this was coming, of course. But that doesn't mean Mueller can do anything to stop Whitaker from hamstringing him. He can just cut his budget, deny him subpoenas, etc. You won't hear Mueller publicly complain. I doubt he would even make copies of investigative records so that Whitaker cannot destroy them.

What you need to understand about Mueller is that he isn't some kind of secretly liberal superhero. He is a standard Republican. He believes in the rule of law, but he isn't going to break any DOJ rules or go out of his way to get Trump. He isn't going to hide records in a personal safe somewhere so that the Democrats can subpoena them or hold a press conference when Whitaker refuses indictments. He isn't going to play politics at all.

Will Whitaker or his replacement do all that? Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt we'll find out until months or years later. It is probably a good thing if liberals pop the fantasy bubble that Mueller was ever going to matter. He wasn't. In a normal functioning political system, he might have. But what should be clear to all now is that this is just a knife fight. No GOP'er is going to protect Mueller, much less take action based on Mueller's report. Mueller is not going to indict the President. He will make a report, maybe. It will be a news story for a week. And then something else will take over the news cycle. Prepare yourself for that now.
You don't think he and Rosenstein had some sort of meetings about this eventuality, and if they did, you think they just threw up their hands and said "oh well, guess we can't do anything if he tries to fire us"? That doesn't seem likely to me.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
They'll investigate him and his administration when there's evidence of wrongdoing, and try to get the facts out into the open. There's tons of distance between "nothing" and "impeach now!".
So. What.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:13 PM

Rosenstein replaced on probe

https://thehill.com/policy/national-...mpression=true
Old 11-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
So. What.
We fight with the tools we have, and those are the tools we have (or will once the new House is sworn in).
Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
You don't think he and Rosenstein had some sort of meetings about this eventuality, and if they did, you think they just threw up their hands and said "oh well, guess we can't do anything if he tries to fire us"? That doesn't seem likely to me.
I am not saying that the eventuality of being overseen by a hostile AG was something Mueller did not plan for. I am saying that there is basically nothing he can do about it without breaking character as a by-the-book soldier.

As you say, Mueller is smart. He is working with smart people. But this isn't twelve-dimensional chess. There is only so much you might plausibly do to prevent your boss from changing the scope of your work.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I am not saying that the eventuality of being overseen by a hostile AG was something Mueller did not plan for. I am saying that there is basically nothing he can do about it without breaking character as a by-the-book soldier.

As you say, Mueller is smart. He is working with smart people. But this isn't twelve-dimensional chess. There is only so much you might plausibly do to prevent your boss from changing the scope of your work.
Is it that unlikely that he's been sharing his progress with the NY AG office, or something similar to that?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Is it that unlikely that he's been sharing his progress with the NY AG office, or something similar to that?
Strikes me as quite unlikely, yes. He has been extremely careful to avoid leaks.

But preserving and disclosing what he has discovered strikes me as sort of a side dish. The most likely thing that will change is that he won't be able to investigate further or indict anyone close to the President.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Mueller can tell Whittaker to fuck off and die. He isn't in Mueller's chain of command. Even an interim AG has to be approved by the Senate, and Whittaker hasn't been.

Let the indictments flow freely!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Mueller can tell Whittaker to fuck off and die. He isn't in Mueller's chain of command. Even an interim AG has to be approved by the Senate, and Whittaker hasn't been.

Let the indictments flow freely!
Whitaker is the Acting AG. That's the same role that Rosenstein had for the purposes of the Russia investigation.

There is an argument to be made that the Vacancy Act cannot constitutionally apply here. But it is a long-shot, IMO.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
CNN reporting that Rosenstein just entered the White House.
Followed by 15 guys with a bone saw.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:

I have been told over and over again that the investigation is being run by 17 angry Democrats. Perhaps one of them has a contingency plan in place.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
So. What.
Power, and the appearance of power. The Dems had neither, which by the principles of political perversity, makes it even more difficult to get any. People got used to thinking of them in terms of contempt, because all they could do was bitch about it. But of course! Therefore, it is even easier for them to believe that the whole thing is a hoax, cobbled together from fantasies of the powerless.

But they haven't seen the evidence, none of us really have. At least some of the people who support Il Douche believe in their own patriotism. If Mueller has The Shit, they will change their minds. How many? Dunno.

But on the main point, Trump lost some power last night. In his position of improvisational mendacity, that's bad. Being seen as losing power....is worse. Makes your allies nervous. Encourages your enemies.

Like me, for instance. I have an odd sensation in the center of my chest, kind of warm and glowy. Oh, wait, that's hope! I remember now....

Last edited by elucidator; 11-07-2018 at 04:32 PM.