Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 30,261
Is what I did "wrong"?

A bar I often visit does a seasonal promotion this time of year. If you buy a gift card, you get a second "promo" card for free. Buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 promo card. Buy a $100 gift card and get a $25 promo card free.

(Promo cards are like gift cards but are only good for 30 days from purchase)

The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself.

I bought two $100 gift cards for myself. I'll use the promo cards first, then eventually use the gift cards for myself. It seems a no-brainer, since I'd be spending the $200 anyway, and this way I get a $50 rebate.

A friend, whose opinion I generally agree with, says I'm gaming the system and it's wrong. I think his opinion is being swayed by the fact that we are friends with the owner of the bar.

What say you?
  #2  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Mr Shine's Avatar
Mr Shine Mr Shine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 1,845
If at no point you're asked to claim the gift cards are for another person, then you're buying pseudo-currency and it's yours to do with as you see fit. The bar owner gets 2 Franklins with a possibility that the gift card will not be redeemed, you get a bonus as long as you fully redeem the gift card, simply how many promotions work.
  #3  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself.
Does the offer stipulate this? Is there a restriction on who can use the gift card and when? What's to stop any patron who comes in for a few drinks just buying gift cards and using them immediately to pay their tab? I.e., how is the owner stopping this becoming just a discount off every bar tab?

Bars tend to have a fixed overhead, with a large marginal profit on sales. If the offer is not just being used to discount every current tab, I imagine that the bar owner is quite happy to get $100 up front in return for providing a future $125-worth of booze that probably costs him $25.

As for the friendship thing, you can turn it around too. If what you're doing doesn't violate the rules, that presumably means the bar owner is happy with the economics. If you're the bar owner's friend, why would he want you to get a worse deal than he'd offer to a stranger?
  #4  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 39,652
It sounds to me like the bar owner didn't think this through: she probably intended the promotion to bring new customers to her bar, and the promo card is a thank-you for helping her with her advertising. I get a referral bonus for folks who sign up for a certain subscription-based website using my link; this promotion probably has the same intention.

If that's the case, you're mildly subverting the system by not bringing in new customers to the bar, so maybe that's very mildly gaming the system.

But, again, mild; and I think if you invite a few friends out to drink at the bar, you'd fulfill the spirit of the promotion anyway.

Not worth worrying about, but if you are worried, call some buddies down to the bar to share a drink and talk the place up.
  #5  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:51 AM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,857
Like any promotion that relies on most people behaving a certain way to not become an unprofitable universal discount it is wrong if you adhere to Kant's categorical imperative. So do you subscribe to Kantian ethics?

Or to put it in a different way. It's a behavior that, if adopted by many, would ruin the system, but it's rare enough that, for the convenience of everyone, it's not prohibited. Are you fine with being part of the acceptable number of "bad users"?
  #6  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 AM
madmonk28 madmonk28 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 11,712
Eh, it’s not the Kennedy assasination. The aim was probably to bring new people to the bar, so you could offset any guilt you feel by using your promo card to bring a friend to the bar and buy him a beer, introducing him to the place.
  #7  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:05 AM
pool pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,115
No, not wrong.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #8  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Like any promotion that relies on most people behaving a certain way to not become an unprofitable universal discount it is wrong if you adhere to Kant's categorical imperative. So do you subscribe to Kantian ethics?

Or to put it in a different way. It's a behavior that, if adopted by many, would ruin the system, but it's rare enough that, for the convenience of everyone, it's not prohibited. Are you fine with being part of the acceptable number of "bad users"?
I don't think this is a reasonable model here. It would be quite straightforward for the bar to simply stipulate that one or both cards cannot be spent the same day, that's common with discount vouchers. That simple rule would prevent the cards being used to get an immediate discount off every current bar tab. I would guess that the bar owner would then be quite happy to offer a prepaid discount off any future business, given the usual expectation of failure to use some proportion of cards and the marginal profit on booze sales. Then life is much more straightforward for everyone one, they can all just follow the actual rules without having to worry about guessing what the unwritten rules might be.
  #9  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 18,532
It's not wrong. Gift cards are designed to (a) give the merchant an immediate influx of cash rather than waiting for someone to give them money piecemeal in the future and (b) hopefully you won't use the full value of the card and they get free money. While it's nice if they get a new customer, what they really want is to lock money up in their pockets.

You're providing this, giving the bar $200 now instead of $40 a night over five nights. They decided that this is worth a discount via the promo cards. Whether that was wise is on them but you're not subverting anything.

Last edited by Jophiel; 11-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
  #10  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Joey P Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,996
I'd say you are gaming the system, but not for that much. It's sort of like using a groupon for a place you already frequent. Groupon costs business owners a ton of money so they want to use it to bring in new people as opposed to taking an existing customer and giving them (just about) a free lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Or to put it in a different way. It's a behavior that, if adopted by many, would ruin the system, but it's rare enough that, for the convenience of everyone, it's not prohibited. Are you fine with being part of the acceptable number of "bad users"?
It shouldn't ruin the system. Whether or not the purchaser uses both or gives the gift cards away, it will still be the same for the bar owner. And, in the case that the receiver of the gift card is already a regular customer, which is usually the case with gift cards, it's not even that they lost the opportunity to get a new customer.
Even in the case that it is so abused as to cause a financial problem, it could probably be tweaked here and there to be fixed.
  #11  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,781
It isn't quite the same, but your gift card strategy reminds me of a lottery ticket strategy. Steve Dahl (Chicago radio) suggested having the numbers from your ticket duplicated on a second ticket so that if you won, but so did someone else, you still got 2/3 instead of 1/2.
  #12  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It isn't quite the same, but your gift card strategy reminds me of a lottery ticket strategy. Steve Dahl (Chicago radio) suggested having the numbers from your ticket duplicated on a second ticket so that if you won, but so did someone else, you still got 2/3 instead of 1/2.
On the rare occasions when I play, I get 10 duplicate tickets. I'm not playing because there's a positive expected return on the basic economics. So I want a positive expected utility, from the potential for how much I'd enjoy annoying anyone I shared the jackpot with.
  #13  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
I don't think this is a reasonable model here. It would be quite straightforward for the bar to simply stipulate that one or both cards cannot be spent the same day, that's common with discount vouchers. That simple rule would prevent the cards being used to get an immediate discount off every current bar tab. I would guess that the bar owner would then be quite happy to offer a prepaid discount off any future business, given the usual expectation of failure to use some proportion of cards and the marginal profit on booze sales. Then life is much more straightforward for everyone one, they can all just follow the actual rules without having to worry about guessing what the unwritten rules might be.
Life is full of unwritten rules, many of them important. I'm not saying Kantian ethics is the only true ethics, and that the behavior in this thread is objectively indisputably wrong, but "this presumed unwritten rule or intention could have been policed and/or been a written rule, and it would have been easier on everyone" is not an actual argument against the existence of the unwritten rule.
  #14  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:47 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 30,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Does the offer stipulate this? Is there a restriction on who can use the gift card and when? What's to stop any patron who comes in for a few drinks just buying gift cards and using them immediately to pay their tab? I.e., how is the owner stopping this becoming just a discount off every bar tab?
Nope, no stipulations on use. More people haven't copied me because they are, on average, not all that bright a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
If that's the case, you're mildly subverting the system by not bringing in new customers to the bar, so maybe that's very mildly gaming the system.

But, again, mild; and I think if you invite a few friends out to drink at the bar, you'd fulfill the spirit of the promotion anyway.
Well, I feel a lot better about the situation. I've been a great customer from the start, and I've helped the business grow and prosper. I share their posts on Facebook and invite my friends to check the place out. In fact, the friend who criticized me learned about the place from me a few years back.

Cheers!!
  #15  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:57 AM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
It shouldn't ruin the system. Whether or not the purchaser uses both or gives the gift cards away, it will still be the same for the bar owner. And, in the case that the receiver of the gift card is already a regular customer, which is usually the case with gift cards, it's not even that they lost the opportunity to get a new customer.
Even in the case that it is so abused as to cause a financial problem, it could probably be tweaked here and there to be fixed.
The intent of the system is there in the OP: "The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself." The intent is to incentivize buying and giving gift cards. Now a lot of recipients might be regulars, and them getting a gift card might not be much different than buying one for themselves, but some of them might be less frequent customers or new customers, making the cost of the promo card worth it for the bar owner. There may be fewer of them, or even none, but buying the card for yourself definitely reduces to zero the chance the bar owner will get much of a return for the investment of that promo card.

Personally I think that then doing so is wrong. I probably wouldn't have come to that conclusion without some thinking about it, but that doesn't make it right. The OP probably didn't think it was wrong when he did it, but he felt it less than obvious in hindsight (or his choice to post about it here is rather weird).

Now again I'm not saying it is objectively indubitably wrong, but it appears to me that most "yeah, it's fine" answerers here actually think it's iffy behavior, but feel it's such a minor transgression that it _shouldn't_ be wrong, and then construct ad hoc arguments for why it's not even iffy.
  #16  
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 40,212
How about this situation - you get a gift card for a friend and the bonus card for you. Your friend gets a gift card for you and a bonus care for him/herself. Same, same.
  #17  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 AM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,572
I don't see any problem with it. You could even argue that it is a reward for being a good customer,

Which brings up a second point. $250 credit at a bar would last me a long long time.
  #18  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 AM
UCBearcats UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 463
You have in no way done anything wrong. I frequently do that. I will often buy gift cards at Kroger to get fuel point bonuses.
  #19  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:26 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 30,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
I don't see any problem with it. You could even argue that it is a reward for being a good customer,

Which brings up a second point. $250 credit at a bar would last me a long long time.
I stop at the bar on average twice a week. A couple of beers, a snack, and a mix six to go I spend on average $40 with tip. If my gf is with me, that amount goes up exponentially (she doesn't look at the price column, I do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
You have in no way done anything wrong. I frequently do that. I will often buy gift cards at Kroger to get fuel point bonuses.
Yeah, anytime we make a large purchase at a big-box (washer/dryer) we buy a gift card at Giant Eagle for fuel points.
  #20  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Joey P Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 27,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
The intent of the system is there in the OP: "The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself." The intent is to incentivize buying and giving gift cards. Now a lot of recipients might be regulars, and them getting a gift card might not be much different than buying one for themselves, but some of them might be less frequent customers or new customers, making the cost of the promo card worth it for the bar owner. There may be fewer of them, or even none, but buying the card for yourself definitely reduces to zero the chance the bar owner will get much of a return for the investment of that promo card.

Personally I think that then doing so is wrong. I probably wouldn't have come to that conclusion without some thinking about it, but that doesn't make it right. The OP probably didn't think it was wrong when he did it, but he felt it less than obvious in hindsight (or his choice to post about it here is rather weird).

Now again I'm not saying it is objectively indubitably wrong, but it appears to me that most "yeah, it's fine" answerers here actually think it's iffy behavior, but feel it's such a minor transgression that it _shouldn't_ be wrong, and then construct ad hoc arguments for why it's not even iffy.
I guess it depends on what the owner wanted out of it and if they made that known. If the owner did it as a promo to help bring in new customers and said the sign said 'buy a gift card to give to someone, get a free one for yourself', some could argue that it's wrong to buy them for yourself. But as was mentioned above, they may just be doing to incentive people to hand them a bunch of cash and they don't care what the reasons are.

If it's wrong, it's also wrong to buy discounted gift cards at a store, for that store, to use yourself. But right or wrong, if Target were to tell me they're selling $50 gift cards for $40, I'd buy them as I checkout, just for the discount.
  #21  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM
bibliophage bibliophage is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maine
Posts: 10,481
Not wrong. Even when the gift card and the promo card are both being used by the buyer, you can think of it as a kind of rational (for the bar owner) price discrimination. In other words, the owner is essentially giving a 20 percent discount for people who who care enough about their finances to investigate the economics of the offer and follow through. Most people like that either wouldn't drink the bar or would drink there only rarely. That may or may not apply to the OP, but it doesn't need to be true in every case. It only needs to be true in the aggregate to be a rational offer by the owner. Even with the 20% discount the owner is still probably making a marginal profit on each drink, and hopes make up for the smaller margins through increased volume.

That's the economics. If it really bothers you as an ethical question, you can always ask the owner whether they consider it to be wrong.
  #22  
Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 AM
D'Anconia D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
You have in no way done anything wrong. I frequently do that. I will often buy gift cards at Kroger to get fuel point bonuses.
Exactly. If one is going to spend money at Kroger anyway, there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of the bonus that is offered, whether it's fuel points or a $25 promo card.
  #23  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 26,701
A clothing store chain local to where I grew up sold gift cards at a twenty-percent discount at Christmas. My father bought several hundred dollars worth and then offered to let us get what we wanted over the next year. It's a way for the retailer to get money up-front and of course some decent percentage of gift cards are never redeemed. Similarly, you can buy gift cards from Costco at a discount from face value (and even then Costco is making a small commission).
  #24  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
..."this presumed unwritten rule or intention could have been policed and/or been a written rule, and it would have been easier on everyone" is not an actual argument against the existence of the unwritten rule.
Yes it is. If the desired conditions can easily be stated with a simple explicit rule, and the rule doesn't create any significant unnecessary burden, why leave everyone guessing as to what the unwritten intent might be? With an explicit rule, everyone can get on with making rational decisions according to the specified economic incentives without the moral anguish.

Last edited by Riemann; 11-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
  #25  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
The intent of the system is there in the OP: "The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself." The intent is to incentivize buying and giving gift cards.
How do you know this, and how does the OP know this? Maybe the bar owner is quite happy to just offer bulk prepaid drinks to anyone at a small discount.
  #26  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
OldGuy OldGuy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Very east of Foggybog, WI
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I'd say you are gaming the system, but not for that much. It's sort of like using a groupon for a place you already frequent. Groupon costs business owners a ton of money so they want to use it to bring in new people as opposed to taking an existing customer and giving them (just about) a free lunch.
I'd say that the OP did nothing wrong. I'd also dispute this claim. The current Tiffany Haddish Groupon ads say you can save money on the things you do every day. That certainly sounds like they're telling regular customers to use their coupons.
  #27  
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Channing Idaho Banks's Avatar
Channing Idaho Banks Channing Idaho Banks is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: beautiful Idaho
Posts: 2,578
How long until the gift cards expire?
  #28  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,194
If the bar owner was selling the gift cards at a loss in order to attract new customers then it would be wrong. But if he's just selling them at a discount that still makes him a profit then I don't feel it's wrong. In such a case, the bar owner is using the gift cards as essentially a loyalty program; people who have gift cards instead of cash are guaranteed customers and that guarantee of future business justifies the discount.
  #29  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Gary T Gary T is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,300
I have to wonder how many people are inclined to choose a $100 card for a bar as a gift. I would only give it to someone who I already knew liked the place. I don't think anyone who thought it through would expect the cards to be given to potential new customers.
  #30  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Rhiannon8404's Avatar
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,967
Lots of places run promotions like this. I often take advantage when it's a place I frequent. I don't really think they care who gets the gift card and who gets the promo card as long a someone is pre-paying for their product.
  #31  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Rhiannon8404's Avatar
Rhiannon8404 Rhiannon8404 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 7,967
NM

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 11-10-2018 at 01:35 PM.
  #32  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:35 PM
harmonicamoon harmonicamoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucatan, Mexico
Posts: 2,885
As my mama used to say, "If it is on sale, buy it. If it is not on sale, you don't need it."

You would make my mama proud.

And since you are a regular patron, I am sure the owner is tickled to welcome you.

Enjoy your rewards.
  #33  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman Spiderman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I stop at the bar on average twice a week. A couple of beers, a snack, and a mix six to go I spend on average $40 with tip.
Just how expensive is this place? What's a beer cost you? At my local, that would be almost a 100% tip.


What type of food do they serve & what's the typical menu price? If you were to give someone a $100 gift card & they used $75 on the first trip, would they go back for a second trip if it's going to cost them $50 for bar food? If not, the owner has no loss - usage of $75 from $100 gift card & $25 from $25 bonus he's not loosing anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I'd say you are gaming the system, but not for that much. It's sort of like using a groupon for a place you already frequent. Groupon costs business owners a ton of money so they want to use it to bring in new people as opposed to taking an existing customer and giving them (just about) a free lunch.
I always thought there was something backwards in rewarding new customers more than your regulars. It costs more to acquire a customer than to keep one, so shouldn't you reward your regulars more than a potential new one?
  #34  
Old 11-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Napier Napier is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mid Atlantic, USA
Posts: 9,256
I think the most decent thing to do would be to ask the owner, "did you anticipate people buying themselves cards and thereby getting a discount for committing their money early? or is that something that didn't occur to you?". If the owner just didn't think of it, then it would be gracious of you to opt out of taking advantage of the loophole they didn't spot.

It's a better world when failing to notice that you're giving people an opportunity to take advantage of you does not result in damaging yourself.
  #35  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,413
You are getting a 20% discount on a volume purchase. Maybe not common in bars, but common in other places. And well within the profit margin of the bar owner.

But think of this - a gift card for a bar may be a big profit generator for the bar owner. As others have mentioned, if it goes to a regular patron it is no different from you giving it to yourself. If it goes to someone else, what if they don't like the bar and prefer where they go already? Some of the card won't be used, pure profit. And what if they are like me and haven't spent $100 in a bar in 45 years of legal drinking. (I drink wine at home or in restaurants, rarely.)
In my understanding, much of the profit in the gift card business is unused balances.

You did nothing wrong and are getting slightly rewarded for loyalty.
There is a rebate in my supermarket like this for Visa cards. I'm thinking of using it and using the cards for groceries. Nothing wrong there either.
  #36  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 PM
don't ask don't ask is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 18,016
Assuage your undeserved guilt by naming the bar in this thread. Then at least your moral quandary has resulted in international advertising for them.
  #37  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM
ioioio's Avatar
ioioio ioioio is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: stuck inside a mobile
Posts: 3,690
I'm so honest that I've been called a "goody two shoes", and I see nothing wrong with what you're doing. One of my guiding rules is "never turn down free money". If the discount offer is losing money for the business owner, they need to change the offer. Being honest doesn't require me to try to guess what people are thinking.

It seems unlikely that many people would buy a gift card to a bar for people who don't already frequent the bar.

If anyone is gaming the system, it's a business who sells gift cards, counting on some percentage of them not being used.
  #38  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 20,668
What you did is "smart".
  #39  
Old 11-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Horatius Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 919
If you're enough of a regular that you consider the owner a friend, then they will tell you if they think you're gaming the system.

I'm a regular at a local pub where I often win a gift certificate in bi-weekly trivia contests. The staff let me know that the management gets a bit snippy if a gift certificate is used the same day it is issued, so we have an understanding that I'll use it the next time I come in.

If this place doesn't have the same arrangement, then you can pretty much do what you want.
  #40  
Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Horatius Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
I have to wonder how many people are inclined to choose a $100 card for a bar as a gift. I would only give it to someone who I already knew liked the place. I don't think anyone who thought it through would expect the cards to be given to potential new customers.


I bought my nephew a $100 gift card to a local chain of pubs (the one I referred to above). Of course, he is a University student, and they have a branch that is literally in the middle of his campus. So there's that.
  #41  
Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,837
Having those gift cards means you may buy at the bar more freely than if you were paying cash, as well.
  #42  
Old 11-10-2018, 03:59 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is online now
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 13,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
It's not wrong. Gift cards are designed to (a) give the merchant an immediate influx of cash rather than waiting for someone to give them money piecemeal in the future and (b) hopefully you won't use the full value of the card and they get free money. While it's nice if they get a new customer, what they really want is to lock money up in their pockets.
Quoted for truth.

Hoping that gift card buyers will give away the cards and create new, loyal customers for the bar is, truly, a very, very secondary effect of the cards. Retailers of all sorts push gift cards (particularly those sold directly at their stores / restaurants, rather than at a gift card kiosk at the grocery store) specifically because it gives them cash, right now, for merchandise that they won't need to redeem until later (perhaps much later), and some percentage of gift cards never get redeemed at all.

I've had restaurant chains as clients in the past, and this is exactly why they push gift cards so high at this time of year -- it's an easy way to add to their bottom line at the end of the year.

Don't feel too badly about it. If you're gaming the system, you're only gaming it a tiny, tiny bit. By buying the gift cards, you're giving the bar owner money *today* that you'd otherwise (probably) be spending over the next few weeks to months. That's a win for the bar owner. The fact that he's also giving you the promo cards is, effectively, the owner paying a premium ahead of time for money he's getting, in hand, today.

Also, for those saying, "but the owner says that the idea behind these is to attract new customers" -- I suspect that it wouldn't actually work that way very often. Assuming that the gift cards aren't used by the buyer himself, they'll wind up in one of four types of hands:

1) In the hands of someone who already patronizes the bar (and, thus, probably not causing a net increase in the bar's revenue)
2) In the hands of someone who won't ever use them (small net increase in the bar's immediate revenue, as the gift card is never redeemed, but no long-term effect)
3) In the hands of someone who's not been to the bar before, uses the gift card to go to the bar, likes the experience, and becomes a regular
4) In the hands of someone who's not been to the bar before, uses the gift card to go the the bar, doesn't like it, and never goes back

Of those four cases, only #3 actually works "as intended," and I'd be very surprised if it's by any means a large percentage.
  #43  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:05 PM
kopek kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 13,627
I say you are fine. Gift cards aren't really gift cards; more of a reverse-tab. You are giving the merchant money now against future purchases you or someone else may make. Or not. You may forget about or lose the card and then he/she wins. You can read the gift as something you are giving someone else or as a gift to the merchant who is assured a future repeat customer who may spend X-amount and then some.

Now if it really bothers you and you need to --------- I can provide my home address via PM. Old and dear friend.
  #44  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:13 PM
elbows elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 13,889
Well, it’s not a crime, that’s for certain.

Tell us though, do you actually need the profit you’ve turned here? Or are you just doing it because you found a way to benefit yourself, so why not?

If you don’t actually need the extra money, then yeah, you’re kinda taking advantage. Of someone you refer to as a friend. And they’ll know what you did, without a doubt. Maybe they know you better than you think, and won’t be the least surprised. And maybe they won’t really think of you as a ‘friend’, anymore.
  #45  
Old 11-10-2018, 04:44 PM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I stop at the bar on average twice a week. A couple of beers, a snack, and a mix six to go I spend on average $40 with tip. If my gf is with me, that amount goes up exponentially (she doesn't look at the price column, I do).



Yeah, anytime we make a large purchase at a big-box (washer/dryer) we buy a gift card at Giant Eagle for fuel points.
Sounds like he is already getting a pretty good profit off of your patronage. A temporary decrease in his margins on your behalf isn't going to be putting him out of business. I would think that even with the discount, he is still profiting off your business.

It was not necessarily the intended use of the program, but if it makes his customers happy without actually causing him a loss, then it sounds like it is a beneficial use anyway.

If it were the other way around, buy a $25 card and get a $100 card free, then you may be taking a bit of advantage there.

Otherwise, it's no different than seeing a 25% off coupon for a place you like to go to, and deciding to use it on your next visit, rather than only using a coupon for a place that you otherwise would not have.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Quoted for truth.

Hoping that gift card buyers will give away the cards and create new, loyal customers for the bar is, truly, a very, very secondary effect of the cards. Retailers of all sorts push gift cards (particularly those sold directly at their stores / restaurants, rather than at a gift card kiosk at the grocery store) specifically because it gives them cash, right now, for merchandise that they won't need to redeem until later (perhaps much later), and some percentage of gift cards never get redeemed at all.
I hear 25%, but I'm not sure that that is as true anymore with all the online ways to sell your gift card.

Of course, I don't use electronic gift cards, only written ones, so it's a bit harder to trade mine online like that. My gift card redemption rate is probably closer to 50% (although most of my gift cards are given for free to charitable causes.)
Quote:
I've had restaurant chains as clients in the past, and this is exactly why they push gift cards so high at this time of year -- it's an easy way to add to their bottom line at the end of the year.
Cash now is always good.
Quote:
Don't feel too badly about it. If you're gaming the system, you're only gaming it a tiny, tiny bit. By buying the gift cards, you're giving the bar owner money *today* that you'd otherwise (probably) be spending over the next few weeks to months. That's a win for the bar owner. The fact that he's also giving you the promo cards is, effectively, the owner paying a premium ahead of time for money he's getting, in hand, today.
And worst case scenario, he makes some regular customers happy and more loyal.
  #46  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
The intent of the system is there in the OP: "The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself." The intent is to incentivize buying and giving gift cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
How do you know this, and how does the OP know this? Maybe the bar owner is quite happy to just offer bulk prepaid drinks to anyone at a small discount.
That's a direct quote from the OP. How they determined this I do not know, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable based on the structure of the promotion and I see no reason to second guess the OP and discuss a different scenario than the one they posted and asked for opinions on.
  #47  
Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Riemann's Avatar
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
That's a direct quote from the OP. How they determined this I do not know, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable based on the structure of the promotion and I see no reason to second guess the OP and discuss a different scenario than the one they posted and asked for opinions on.
It's a bit disingenuous to say that. We were talking about unwritten rules, and the OP was saying he thought that was the intent of the promotion. But this goes to the heart of the problem with trying to guess unwritten rules, doesn't it. I (and others in this thread) think that it's quite likely that the bar owner may be quite happy to offer a bulk prepayment discount to anyone via gift cards.
  #48  
Old 11-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Alley Dweller's Avatar
Alley Dweller Alley Dweller is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Well, it’s not a crime, that’s for certain.

Tell us though, do you actually need the profit you’ve turned here? Or are you just doing it because you found a way to benefit yourself, so why not?

If you don’t actually need the extra money, then yeah, you’re kinda taking advantage. Of someone you refer to as a friend. And they’ll know what you did, without a doubt. Maybe they know you better than you think, and won’t be the least surprised. And maybe they won’t really think of you as a ‘friend’, anymore.
If they had a half-price beer Tuesday and you walk in on Tuesday, not knowing it's half-price day, and you really can afford the regular price, should you insist on paying full price? If not, how is that scenario different?

Last edited by Alley Dweller; 11-10-2018 at 06:30 PM.
  #49  
Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Isosleepy Isosleepy is offline
Friend of Cecil
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,262
It is not wrong, not even a little. There is no unwritten rule. You are paying cash now, for consumption later. End of story. The promo card is to induce you to transact. Without the promo offer, you’d just keep the cash. What the bar gets out of it is you visiting (more). With cash you could go to bar A, B, or C. But you have a giftcard, so you are going to that bar. If there ever is going to be an innkeep who wants the giftcards used by new customers only, he would need to explicitly state that at time of sale. He would probably sell like 2 of them then.
  #50  
Old 11-10-2018, 07:24 PM
naita naita is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
It's a bit disingenuous to say that. We were talking about unwritten rules, and the OP was saying he thought that was the intent of the promotion. But this goes to the heart of the problem with trying to guess unwritten rules, doesn't it. I (and others in this thread) think that it's quite likely that the bar owner may be quite happy to offer a bulk prepayment discount to anyone via gift cards.
Again, the direct quote from the OP is "The idea is you buy a card which you give as a gift, then use the promo card yourself." I find it a bit odd you don't want to take that a face value, but whatever.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017