Old 11-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Subaru dealership - pretty stupid hill you picked to die on.

Mostly bitching. But welcome opinions.

My Wife bought a brand new 2019 Subaru Ascent this fall. They had to ship it, and my Wife picked it up. The dealership is 100 miles away.

All is good, love the car. But, it's odd, there is no where to mount the (required by law) front license plate. My Wife did go to the dealership for her free oil change, and while there my wife also did a one on one umm... question and answer thing about the car (offered and recommended by the dealer) and they said they would install the mount for free. My Wife still just had the paper tags and well, things got busy and she forgot about it.

So... we call the salesman today, hoping they would send us this mounting bracket. I'll install it (easy peasy, even found it on YouTube). Now they say they want $30 for it (available at Subaru Parts). I talked to the guy that sold her the car as well. Nope, $30.

So, a $40,000 car, and I'm told my other option is I can drill holes in the bumper and just screw the license plate directly to the bumper. Umm... no.

It's probably stupid to get in a pissing match about this. But come on, It's a brand new expensive car that did not include as a standard piece of equipment the mount to attach the required by state law license plate.

It's the principle, and it ain't over.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Oh yeah, you've talked to the stupidest person at that dealership. I bet you a quick email would clear that right up. I would mention the salesman's name several times in that email.

Last edited by steatopygia; 11-10-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:51 PM

This is so incredibly stupid on the part of the dealer that I think a lesson is in order. I'm not familiar with the resources in your state/area but I'm thinking: government consumer protection agency; DMV; media consumer help line (newspaper, TV, whatever). Around here once something like a media help line gets hold of a story about this kind of assholery, the assholes in question fall all over themselves in abject apologies and offers to try to stifle the bad publicity. Since the plate holder is a legal requirement, you could have lots of fun with this, emphasizing all the while that it's not the $30 but the principle -- namely the principle of publicizing idiocy and calling assholes to account.

ETA: Yes, as steatopygia noted, you always get best results with these outside agencies when you can demonstrate that you made an effort at escalation. Get the name of the owner, general manager, or whatever, and do send them an email (better than a phone call, which they can claim they never got).

Last edited by wolfpup; 11-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Send an email to the owner, tell him your story, ask if he’s cool with this state of affairs, telling him you just want to check before you post the whole hilarious episode on your Facebook, so your friends can at least get a good laugh from your misfortune! Because you think the whole situation is so silly it’s truly laughable.

Then wait. I’m pretty sure, you’ll get a swift response and a positive outcome. Good Luck!

Last edited by elbows; 11-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:12 PM

I and my Wife talked to the guy that sold her the car. This is the biggest in volume Subaru dealership in the USA. After trying to get though to this guy, with no response from him (he said he would send me the paper dealership tags that they use for advertisement, and affix to the front of the car- WTF???). I just said, "Fine, have a Good day and hung up". After hearing my Wife talk to him on the phone, I had to speak in person to him. I think he knows what we are talking about.

I went to the dealers website and there was a 'Chat' option. They couldn't help and suggested I call the service/parts department. Fuck that. I have since sent an email to the dealership through their 'contact' link. Not sure where that email is going.

We will see. Kinda pisses me off.

Not worth it to go in person as that would be a 200 mile round trip and a day off of work. SOOO Stupid. A part that SHOULD be included (and may by law be), that costs Subaru perhaps $10 is going to piss off a good customer.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 PM

And when you do escalate, keep it super brief and simple. Come here to vent, but in that letter hit just the few key points: The front plate mount wasn't included with the car; they were going to install it at the first oil change, but forgot; they now want to charge you $30 for the part; you're not looking for a replacement for one that you lost or damaged, but the one that should have been included with the car in the first place.

I recently got a new car, and the front plate mount was in the trunk.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
And when you do escalate, keep it super brief and simple. Come here to vent, but in that letter hit just the few key points: The front plate mount wasn't included with the car; they were going to install it at the first oil change, but forgot; they now want to charge you $30 for the part; you're not looking for a replacement for one that you lost or damaged, but the one that should have been included with the car in the first place.

I recently got a new car, and the front plate mount was in the trunk.
I looked in the trunk thinking the same thing. The receiver for the hitch is in a box in there, and I thought the mount may be too.

Yeah, I'm just venting here. Glad I don't have larger problems. Really, going to sleep last night I thought "What? This can't be right, we'll just call them tomorrow, they will apologize and we will be done."

It's just so silly. It could be done and gone, but some poor shlub may get his ass in trouble about this.

I don't seem to have any way to contact the owner. Email or otherwise. I'm sure I could puzzle it out. But Jim Rockford I'm not. I'd probably be doing him a favor if I could contact him directly.

Luckily, this is silly bullshit, and not life or death. But... the principle of it matters to me.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I and my Wife talked to the guy that sold her the car. This is the biggest in volume Subaru dealership in the USA.
Are you on social media at all? Because based on your description of it as the largest volume dealer in the country, I found that it appears to have a presence on Twitter and Facebook (and probably the rest of the social media sites). You might get a response if you posted on one of their social media sites, or just on your own page, but added a hashtag so they see it. (I've heard stories of people who weren't able to get satisfaction from large companies until they made a stink on social media.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 11-10-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Are you on social media at all? Because based on your description of it as the largest volume dealer in the country, I found that it appears to have a presence on Twitter and Facebook (and probably the rest of the social media sites). You might get a response if you posted on one of their social media sites, or just on your own page, but added a hashtag so they see it. (I've heard stories of people who weren't able to get satisfaction from large companies until they made a stink on social media.)
Yeahhh… I do have a Facebook account started long, long ago. And this company does have a presence, I looked.

I really don't want to slam these guys world wide for such a simple thing. And I don't like making threats for something so simple.

Labor day, this Monday in the US is a pretty big car selling day. They should be open. If I don't hear back from my email (I won't) I'll call the main number (front desk switch board) and ask to talk to the General Manager. If he's busy, I'll persist.

I'm happy to work with people. I have worked for the government for 26 years. I solve problems and find solutions. It's me and my departments job to do so.

I really, really do not like getting brushed off.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:01 PM

when you said they had to ship it, do you mean they got it from another dealership? if so, was that dealer in a "no front plate required" state?
Old 11-10-2018, 06:16 PM

It's not really a hill to die on, you're just one guy. But make that articulate Yelp/Google review now, maybe they'll contact you after.

Not coming with a front plate mount is not unknown. Mine didn't come with it, and my state requires it except if there is no official mounting option. So I didn't.

You can look into tow hook mounting options. Looks funny off center, YMMV. The Ascent is so new that your options are limited, though may share some platform with their other cars.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
when you said they had to ship it, do you mean they got it from another dealership? if so, was that dealer in a "no front plate required" state?
Beats me. The Ascent is so new, I think it came off the 'boat'. Had 3 miles on it when my wife picked it up.

The car came from wherever it was built. It was a custom order of a brand new model for 2019. Color, options, everything.

I'm perfectly willing to give them a break. Having them push back on me for a part that costs them perhaps 10 bucks for a part that should have been included sort of pisses me off. That Subaru said it would be installed free, and we are now told that it will cost $30 pisses me off.

I can just order the part for $30 and get it shipped to me. The money means nothing. The principle of it does.

My Wife just wants me to drop it. I really don't make an issue of things that break or don't quite perform to expectations. Live and learn.

I had a real problem with the way I was treated by the salesman at Subaru when I talked to him on the phone about this. And I overheard how he talked to my Wife. I've never met the guy.

I rarely escalate things. For this, I just might. It has nothing to do with the stupid $30 license plate bracket.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Nope! I said stop!

FWIW, I’d do exactly the same thing. This is not one I’d happily lose.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
It's not really a hill to die on, you're just one guy. But make that articulate Yelp/Google review now, maybe they'll contact you after.

Not coming with a front plate mount is not unknown. Mine didn't come with it, and my state requires it except if there is no official mounting option. So I didn't.

You can look into tow hook mounting options. Looks funny off center, YMMV. The Ascent is so new that your options are limited, though may share some platform with their other cars.
Tow hook mounting options? For the license plate? On the Ascent? What?

It does have a 'tow hook' under the lower left front. It may be strong enough to pull it out of the snow. I may have something in my vehicle rescue bag that has something small enough to hook on to that 'hook/eye' to pull that car out. I've looked at it. It may work. Could also be a very, very long night.

It would be a very, very interest day of welding idjigits and wing wangs to possibly attach a license plate to the front tow hook of the Ascent.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Tow hook mount is hidden under a cap in many cars. Looked like they make Subaru license plate mounts that use that spot, but again no Ascent stuff yet, but maybe it's identical threads etc to Outback.

I found a forum post that looks like someone made it work, but too awful on mobile for me to verify.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Tow hook mount is hidden under a cap in many cars. Looked like they make Subaru license plate mounts that use that spot, but again no Ascent stuff yet, but maybe it's identical threads etc to Outback.

I found a forum post that looks like someone made it work, but too awful on mobile for me to verify.
It's different under the Ascent. The front 'hook' is a piece of stamped steel with about a 1.25 inch hole in it. Can't get a chain or even reasonable sized tow strap through it. I have a clevis that should work. Might mess up the bumper a bit.

The silly rear tow eyebolt thing is gone on the Ascent if you have a tow hitch. I can deal with a hitch to pull the car out. That will work ok.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>Labor day, this Monday in the US is a pretty big car selling day. They should be open. If I don't hear back from my email (I won't) I'll call the main number (front desk switch board) and ask to talk to the General Manager. If he's busy, I'll persist.

Veteran's Day, maybe? Labor Day was two months ago.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
It's different under the Ascent. The front 'hook' is a piece of stamped steel with about a 1.25 inch hole in it. Can't get a chain or even reasonable sized tow strap through it. I have a clevis that should work. Might mess up the bumper a bit.

The silly rear tow eyebolt thing is gone on the Ascent if you have a tow hitch. I can deal with a hitch to pull the car out. That will work ok.
Not the hook, just the mounting point. Hooks might be in spare tire area, but shouldn't come installed.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Try contacting Subaru of America. They might light a fire under the dealership's bum. There's an email option under Customer Support at the bottom of the page.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:16 PM

40k for a new Subie? Fuck, I'm outta touch...
Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

Veteran's Day, maybe? Labor Day was two months ago.
yeah. I'm chronologically and 'holiday' challenged'. I can't keep those straight. Last year or two years ago. Whatever. Yes I'm that bad. My Wife is good at keeping me up to date. I never miss an appointment as long as it's not a year or so away.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
40k for a new Subie? Fuck, I'm outta touch...
Their brand new "midsize CUV." Starts at $32,000, options can feasibly add $8000 more (looks like top option is MSRP $44,700, and savings would barely bring that one down to $45k. So possibly the 3rd of 4 trims.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 AM

I am not familiar with the OP's vehicle. I believe the problem is with the manufacturer.

Some vehicles don't have a straight line on them. Everything is curved. And putting a front license plate would really dick it up. VW is a good example.

Rather than dick up their vehicle, many owners, in these parts, just put the plate in the windshield. Don't know if that is an option there.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
I am not familiar with the OP's vehicle. I believe the problem is with the manufacturer.

Some vehicles don't have a straight line on them. Everything is curved. And putting a front license plate would really dick it up. VW is a good example.

Rather than dick up their vehicle, many owners, in these parts, just put the plate in the windshield. Don't know if that is an option there.
This is a Subaru "SUV". Style is not a concern. If it was, I would have to shoot myself.

We aren't 18 anymore and are not going to just stick the plates in the windshield of a $40,000 vehicle. It's not a Ferrari and we aren't concerned if the aerodynamics break up a bit. As we have already got 52"s of snow this year, putting the plates on the dashboard is just not gonna work for defrost.

Subaru HAS a mounting plate for this brand new vehicle. Powder coated stainless steel. 6 screws. I'm not worried about 'dicking up' the vehicle. I am a bit pissed that they are being dicks to me. I hate to ruin peoples days, but, they may have it coming. All for bullshit.

I'll see if they respond to my email. If not, I'll call, find out who the GM is and go from there.

Such bullshit. I've invested about 10 times more time in this that it is worth to me But I don't like being mistreated.

enipla ~ the incensed license plate avenger.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:05 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

FWIW I'm in a front and back license plate state and every new car I've bought, including two Subarus, have had the front plate holder installed without having to ask.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:20 AM

A significant portion of the people in car sales can think no further ahead than the profit on this particular sale. Decades ago, when I was a young man, I sold cars for about a year. My sales manager was one of these assholes, happy to screw every penny out of a deal and give nothing away even if it meant the people drove away cursing under their breath and vowing never to do business with us again.

I once sold a top-of-the-line Holden Calais V8 (this was in Australia) to a very nice couple in their late fifties. They paid almost full sticker price for the car, and took a pretty lowball offer for their trade-in. This was probably the single highest-profit deal that the dealership did all month, possibly all year. We were going to make a whole shitload of money on this car, and my cut as the salesman was going to be pretty decent as well. The high profit on the sale also put me into a higher commission percentage for the month, based on our graduated incentive system.

One thing the guy wanted when he drove out the door was a full tank of gas. Our asshole of a sales manager had a habit of sending cars out with about a quarter of a tank. I made clear that this was the one thing that the guy had emphasized when we closed the deal, but it wasn't actually written into the contract. That was my fault; I was only 20 and still new to the job, and silly me just assumed that spending over 40 grand on a car (in 1990) entitled you to drive away with a full gas tank.

But my sales manager said, basically, "Fuck him. We've already got his money." So I filled the tank with my own money before sending the car out. I still made out great on the sale, and a nice couple went away happy with their new car. I lasted almost exactly a year before I couldn't stand the job anymore.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:26 AM

I'm reminded of a story my father told me when I was a teenager. One of my dad's friends owned the a local "Toys for Big Boys" store. They sold speed boats, jet skis, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. Their big business was definitely jet skis since we lived on the coast. So, he decided to sell the business, and it ended up being bought by his accountant, who knew how much profit the business made. So one day a very rich tourist comes into the shop, and buys about $50,000 worth of equipment. They arrange for it to be delivered, everything is great. On his way out, the new owner says, "Oh, and you're going to need helmets for the jet skis." The tourist says "Okay, we'll take those two." And the new owner says "That will be $150". And the tourist is understandably shocked, and says "Really? I just paid you $50,000, and now you want me to pay another $150." And the new owner said "Yes, I cannot just give you the helmets." So the tourist cancelled the entire order, and went else where. I'm not sure why, but that story always stuck with me.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I encountered a similar situation many years ago. The Ford dealer refused to fill both tanks on a newly ordered Diesel F250. He insisted the fine print said "Full tank" not "tanks". I wrote the regional sales manager and complained, and got free oil changes for the first 50,000 miles.

Don't know what the regional/national setup is for Subaru, but surely there's someone up the food chain who can fix this.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM

Considering 31/50 states require front and back license plates, with CO being one of them, seems like this would be standard for dealerships to already have it on there. Even if your state doesn't require it, the vast majority will be traveling out of state sometime for the states that do.

In the big sheme of things, not that big of a deal, but if you got a little free time, I hope you'll pursue the proper channels and have them stick with that they agreed too. A phone call to the higher ups in the dealership should do it, I rarely have trouble getting through to the general manager. Be friendly, tell them it's a 200 mile round trip which is one of the reasons you hadn't gotten to it sooner, but ask him why their salesman won't honor his original word. Mention he never said there was a time limit, if that is the case.

If no success there, a little bit of negative publicity can come their way, starting with the BBB should do the trick. I bet you'll get that license frame as they agreed too.

Or if you really want to get their attention, go on the Tom Martino radio show. My friend uses him regularly, and she always gets immediate results.

Last edited by Razncain; 11-11-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Newspaper? BBB? TV?

All pointless in my opinion. Tell them if you have to pay you’re going to tell the story on Facebook for your friends amusement, to get your $30 worth!

That’s all it will take. They will fall all over themselves to keep that from happening. (It’s important that you are amused, not angry or threatening!) Good Luck!

Try it and see.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
I'm reminded of a story my father told me when I was a teenager. One of my dad's friends owned the a local "Toys for Big Boys" store. They sold speed boats, jet skis, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. Their big business was definitely jet skis since we lived on the coast. So, he decided to sell the business, and it ended up being bought by his accountant, who knew how much profit the business made. So one day a very rich tourist comes into the shop, and buys about $50,000 worth of equipment. They arrange for it to be delivered, everything is great. On his way out, the new owner says, "Oh, and you're going to need helmets for the jet skis." The tourist says "Okay, we'll take those two." And the new owner says "That will be $150". And the tourist is understandably shocked, and says "Really? I just paid you $50,000, and now you want me to pay another $150." And the new owner said "Yes, I cannot just give you the helmets." So the tourist cancelled the entire order, and went else where. I'm not sure why, but that story always stuck with me.
Something like that happened to me when I was selling professional lighting equipment. A customer came in looking for a large quantity of fixtures. The fixtures he needed were what we called “cans”, no optics, no lenses, just a glorified holder for a light bulb. With some equipment quality is a factor but this product was truly a price driven commodity.

I waited on the customer but I couldn’t meet his price point. I went back to the boss but he just kept tellling me to emphasize the quality of the product, which made no sense. Basically it came down to whether we would include the mounting hardware for free. Which shouldn’t have been a big deal, considering the size of the order.

So my boss came out of his office to, in his words, “show me how it’s done”. And he double talked the crap out of the guy “yes, we can include the mounting clamps”. And the guy said yes and my boss got that smug self-satisfied look that I hated. And he had the warehouse guys move 200 boxes from the warehouse to the sales floor. Then he wrote the ticket. And he charged extra for the clamps. Like he thought the customer wouldn’t freaking notice.
So then I hear my boss say smugly “Yes, I told you I could give you the clamps. I didn’t tell you they’d be free”. I guess the implication was that I was such a bad salesperson that I was refusing to SELL the guy the clamps while I was waiting on him.

And the customer said “ Fuck you for wasting my time” and left. The warehouse guys had to come retrieve the 200 large boxes that were stacked on the sales floor. I laughed.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 11-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Thanks all for your stories and encouragement. It's stunning what some companies will do in the name of 'profit'. Or just how god dam lazy they are after the sale. I'm going to wait to see if I get any response from the email I sent. I sent the email through the companies 'Contact Us' link on their web page so I really don't no what rabbit whole it went down. I'd rather keep this to email, and reproducible records so would rather not just call the GM.

I'm gonna see if I can puzzle out some better contact info. As said, they do have FaceBook, but I'd rather not go that route. I do have an account, but never use it. I might be able to dig through their FB and find an email that we can start communicating on though.

It IS my Wife's car, and I think she would rather I drop it at this point. But this shit just pisses me off.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razncain View Post
Considering 31/50 states require front and back license plates, with CO being one of them, seems like this would be standard for dealerships to already have it on there. Even if your state doesn't require it, the vast majority will be traveling out of state sometime for the states that do.
The front tag requirement only applies to vehicles licensed in that state, not to every vehicle that travels through it.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 AM

I think I got through to them on their FaceBook contacts. Wasn't a chat bot. The person said they would have a manager contact me through email (I want a record of this, no phone calls).

We shall see. I should start charging them by the hour.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Quote:
The front tag requirement only applies to vehicles licensed in that state, not to every vehicle that travels through it.
Still, their cars sell in enough places that require front license plates that I would expect the cars to come with the brackets, or at least with the mounting points already in place. I'm slightly amazed that they don't.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Still, their cars sell in enough places that require front license plates that I would expect the cars to come with the brackets, or at least with the mounting points already in place. I'm slightly amazed that they don't.
There are a couple of BARELY visible dimples in the front bumper. This is where the mounting bracket attaches. You drive screws into those dimples to mount the bracket, and then the license plate is mounted to the bracket with 4 more screws.

The bracket that they now want to charge me $30 for.

This is SO stupid.

Last edited by enipla; 11-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised the dealer even let you drive the car off the lot without the front mounting bracket installed. They knew you were going to need it. I would think that should fall under the "dealer prep" category of stuff they do before they ever even hand you the keys.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:

In the big sheme of things, not that big of a deal, but if you got a little free time, I hope you'll pursue the proper channels and have them stick with that they agreed too. A phone call to the higher ups in the dealership should do it, I rarely have trouble getting through to the general manager. Be friendly, tell them it's a 200 mile round trip which is one of the reasons you hadn't gotten to it sooner, but ask him why their salesman won't honor his original word. Mention he never said there was a time limit, if that is the case.

If no success there, a little bit of negative publicity can come their way, starting with the BBB should do the trick. I bet you'll get that license frame as they agreed too.

Or if you really want to get their attention, go on the Tom Martino radio show. My friend uses him regularly, and she always gets immediate results.
Map is not accurate for at least one and I suspect several states:

"You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate."
Old 11-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I'm surprised the dealer even let you drive the car off the lot without the front mounting bracket installed. They knew you were going to need it. I would think that should fall under the "dealer prep" category of stuff they do before they ever even hand you the keys.
:shrug: Frankly, salesman don't know shit about the cars they are selling. I have learned this. They are salesman, not car guys. That's OK. And this car was a brand new model.

Still, I agree that that should have been part of the dealer prep. Someone should have a checklist at least.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
:shrug: Frankly, salesman don't know shit about the cars they are selling. I have learned this. They are salesman, not car guys.
Yep. I learned that pretty quickly when I sold cars.

I went into car sales as a young man becauseI was a car guy. I liked the idea of working around cars for a living. But I soon realized that being a car guy was, for the most part, pretty irrelevant to selling cars. The other sales people didn't give a shit about cars; they might as well have been selling refrigerators or power tools or tractors. And to be honest, my knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, the cars themselves didn't really seem to help me very much in the sales part of the job.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Yep. I learned that pretty quickly when I sold cars.

I went into car sales as a young man becauseI was a car guy. I liked the idea of working around cars for a living. But I soon realized that being a car guy was, for the most part, pretty irrelevant to selling cars. The other sales people didn't give a shit about cars; they might as well have been selling refrigerators or power tools or tractors. And to be honest, my knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, the cars themselves didn't really seem to help me very much in the sales part of the job.
Kinda funny. My Wife went down for the Subaru offered and recommended "Get to know your car" 'class' with the dealership. They recommended it and gave a $25 gas card. OK. What the heck, oil change time any way.

The fellow said "Well no one has any questions about the exterior, so let's get inside"

WRONG. My wife had a lot of questions about the exterior. For example - Tow Hooks. Front license plate bracket (which he said they would put on for free). Spare tire etc. When done, the fellow thanked my Wife because he learned a lot about the car... from my Wife.

To be fair, it is a brand new model, and we had just got done with a 4,600 mile road trip. So my Wife knew the car petty well at that point.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ISTM that carmakers in general seem to completely disregard, when designing some of their models, that there are places that use front plates.

And don't get me started on some current models putting the bumper behind the grille.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Beats me. The Ascent is so new, I think it came off the 'boat'. Had 3 miles on it when my wife picked it up.

The car came from wherever it was built. It was a custom order of a brand new model for 2019. Color, options, everything.
oh, so you two actually special ordered one. It's weird that it wouldn't have been shipped along with the car. I know Ford includes the front mount at no charge for cars shipped to "front plate required" states, they toss it in the trunk or the rear seat as part of the dealer PDI kit. The dealer is supposed to install it before the customer takes delivery.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:10 PM

If this is the large indoor dealership I'm thinking it is, that's brand new, has cars on the rack, I know someone up there that can fix this. This place is in Oregon, right?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I think I got through to them on their FaceBook contacts. Wasn't a chat bot. The person said they would have a manager contact me through email (I want a record of this, no phone calls).
Might want to let the manager now that you're still undecided about where to take the car for service/repairs in the future, but that there are other places that you could bring your business.

Or maybe they figure you live so far away, they've written you off on that.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 11-11-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
If this is the large indoor dealership I'm thinking it is, that's brand new, has cars on the rack, I know someone up there that can fix this. This place is in Oregon, right?

FWIW, I also heard that Denver was the largest selling Subaru dealership.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM

AFAIK, states still waive out-of-state drivers who are not required to have a front plate in their home state. I suspect that is going to change. In the link I provided in previous post it says CO lost $23 million over 12 months on the E-470 toll due to people not having license plates on the front, and their electronic technology reliant on capturing the front plate. CO gets a lot of vacationers from other states.

Considering how much revenue is at stake, seems like all states will be requiring front and back unless they develop a more reliable technology that can capture just the back plate only. I understand some states still waive antique and certain expensive sports cars where it's only required on the back.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Colorado Springs. About 100 miles from where we live in the central mountains. There are a LOT of Subaru's in Colorado. If you live full time in the mountains, AWD/4WD is pretty much a necessity unless you live and work very close together. Like walking distance close.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
AFAIK, states still waive out-of-state drivers who are not required to have a front plate in their home state. I suspect that is going to change. In the link I provided in previous post it says CO lost $23 million over 12 months on the E-470 toll due to people not having license plates on the front, and their electronic technology reliant on capturing the front plate. CO gets a lot of vacationers from other states.
eh, fuck 'em.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
eh, fuck 'em.

Really, I guess when the license plate scanner was designed the states that didn't require front plates weren't part of the US?

Actually, they once sent me a license plate toll bill for my motorcycle on E-470, and motorcycles only have rear plates. It turns out they'd miss-read the plate, and it wasn't my bike, but that's irrelevant to this discussion---clearly they had a way to read the rear plate.